[TERA PC] Summersilk season is here! Pick up Summersilk Robes in the TERA store until August 3. Plus, earn a free Summersilk Robe in our leveling event: https://bit.ly/TERA_summersilk
[TERA Console] To celebrate the launch of the Awakening update, participate in the Awakening Leveling Event! Details: https://bit.ly/awkn_events
[TERA Console] The Awakening update (v84) is now live on all console servers! Read the patch notes here: https://bit.ly/v84notes
[TERA Console] Server maintenance to deploy the v84.03 hotfix is scheduled for 7~11 p.m. PT on Monday, July 13, 2020. This hotfix should improve upon issues with frequent crashes and blue screens. Patch notes: https://bit.ly/v84_03_patch

TERA Packs. And why this makes me reconsider playing this game at all.

DLC to begin with is a creeping poison, most of us (that are not 'please someone, anyone.. especially devs.. like me.. i need to be liked' type of people) know that damn well. It has turned a universe of passionately developed games into unfinished milk machines that are at this point even trying to charge for character slots. Oh hold on this game does too. ...right..

Well ok lets forget that for a moment because its not the reason for this post.. DLC in itself isnt exactly what this complaint is about. Its these particular type of packs. Packs to begin with; is a dirty word invented to make something sound interesting that in reality is nothing but a cash grab on content that should be in a game as unlockable for the sake of .. you know.. worth for your money. This game is a free to play mmo, i hear you say so its not like a pricetag on a content-pack is that big of a deal? Let me remind you that this game has existed on pc for ages and it is impossible that this has not already made whoever gets the paychecks for its long-lived customizerbase a multimillionaire (if not, then something went really, really wrong somewhere) and that players will inevitably buy online currency for it anyway..

What the real problem is with the TERA packs released for this Ps4 version anyway isnt just that its content.. but its HEAD START CONTENT. In other words giving people an edge.. which is translated to PAY TO WIN.

Is this game trying to crash itself into a wall or something, has noone ever told you that pay to win.. isnt exactly popular with players?

Maybe this game should just stay in my distant past.. it definately became ALOT less attractive.

Comments

• Pay to play earlier and a few cosmetic
  • CassandraTRCassandraTR ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything in Tera can be purchased from other players (except for a few cosmetic items from the reward shop, but they offer no bonuses other than "Swag.")

That includes char slots, bank slots, pets, mounts, even the monthly subscription.

If you don't want to buy the various packs, then don't. It won't affect your playing other than that you will farm a little bit of gold and then purchase the things later at level 65.

Tera is not pay2win. Nothing is locked behind a paywall, literally nothing. Some people will buy things for themselves, others win buy multiple to sell, and some people will buy it off the broker. That's how the economy works.

You aren't missing out on anything by not being the first to play and having to wait 7 days... and you're also missing the point that all of those packs offer various EMP and ELITE; in game currency and monthly subscription. If you break down the math, all of them are actually good deals on EMP and the sub, the rest of it is a bonus, as well as 7 days early play.

Maybe you should just calm down and play the game.
  • A lot of the stuff you get in the packs (and basically all the items in the cash shop itself) is more "Pay for convenience" and not pay to win. The game really doesn't take super long to get to max level and you won't get any real advantage in combat from the packs over people who don't have one.

People who start playing today won't have any real advantage over the people who start next week when they both reach max level, at that point it all depends on who understands their class or was blessed by RNG more. Yes people who start today would have a whole week that they could play to gather materials or gold and possibly upgrade their items a bit more than people who are waiting for free 2 play...but this is also basing on an RNG enchanting system AND there is only so far you can upgrade your items and eventually the free 2 play players will catch up.

Now if you are annoyed about the packs because you are worried about your names being taken or you were really looking forward to getting "First" achievements then yes, I can understand the annoyance at that point.

Also as a reminder, a lot of online games does something like this where they have an early access a week sooner for people to buy their way into on a free to play game. Did you really expect them to not have a founders pack or any other form of pack and release the game completely free after spending who knows how much on making it into consoles with only the cash shop to compensate it?
  • can you really call it a money grab if the game is free. i do agree with you about the paywalling thing but being a veteran i haven't seen anything paywalled in this game that you cant acquire by any other means. maybe the founders mount but as far as that goes you'll endup replacing it with better type of mounts later. i bought the founders pack back when tera pc was released and i don't regret it at all. F2P games im more lenient when it comes to dlc stuff as its not like they are making you pay for their game up front so i look at it more as me supporting them which isnt an issue if you like their game. i bought the supreme founders for ps4 cuz i highly enjoy tera. if i didn't i would not have paid. anyway just play it when its officially released the head start doesn't really give anyone a true advantage with how popular the game is there's gonna be plenty of people who will play it at standard release that will offset those who got in the head start.
  • The fact people are still defending this makes me certain im going to uninstall this dungheap.
  • TLXTLX ✭✭
    4D46GHJDEA wrote: »
    The fact people are still defending this makes me certain im going to uninstall this dungheap.
    You will install the game again,and you know it.

• ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything in Tera can be purchased from other players (except for a few cosmetic items from the reward shop, but they offer no bonuses other than "Swag.")

That includes char slots, bank slots, pets, mounts, even the monthly subscription.

If you don't want to buy the various packs, then don't. It won't affect your playing other than that you will farm a little bit of gold and then purchase the things later at level 65.

Tera is not pay2win. Nothing is locked behind a paywall, literally nothing. Some people will buy things for themselves, others win buy multiple to sell, and some people will buy it off the broker. That's how the economy works.

You aren't missing out on anything by not being the first to play and having to wait 7 days... and you're also missing the point that all of those packs offer various EMP and ELITE; in game currency and monthly subscription. If you break down the math, all of them are actually good deals on EMP and the sub, the rest of it is a bonus, as well as 7 days early play.

Maybe you should just calm down and play the game.

TERA has some P2W elements but not as big as other P2W games have.

Innerwear lootboxes gives a cash shop player a nice advantage vs a free2play character, even if those can be obtained throught GG (however you need to be lucky or never get the one you need). This item can be between then pay to convenience and p2w bondauries as GG inner can be traded also between players.

Liberation Scroll allow a player with tthe best in slot gear to liberate it and sell it to another player, this is actually a good example of p2w mechanic disguised as a p2 convenience.

Dragon/Phoenix mounts with critical power 2.0 pasives lootboxes are the only way to get a 2.0 dragon/phoenix (excluding some events) and this is the best example of a p2w element in the game.

So far those are the only p2w elements that I think should be addressed as that. I have yet to know what of these things are going to reach the console version in a cash shop wall.
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The head start is so dumb. People reach the level cap in literally six hours because of how they streamlined leveling. You won't be as behind as you think. If anything, the people who dropped 30 USD on a head start in a game like this are the ones who weren't thinking clearly. I have a lot of complaints about this game, I'm not some forum white knight or anything, but the head start is probably the last thing to complain about. Heck, the cosmetic stuff they get is character bound so they can't even use it again when they inevitably make a second character.

In any case, the game's been out for years on PC. idk why so many console players are surprised that there's no in game voice options or that items get bound to characters, or (in this case) that the game is slowly getting more and more p2w, etc. An ounce of research would've saved a ton of people here money.
  • MuayuMuayu ✭✭
    Long story short TC....Gaming has been heading this way for a while now....even single player games (sometimes even ones that aren't even ports) have been doing this lately (headstarts I mean). I'm not here to defend the industry, only to say, this is how things are. Unless you think you can do something to stop change/the future, then all you can do is accept or not accept it. Learn to live with what you don't agree with, or don't. Anyways I hope the best for you, no matter what you decide.
  • NemmarNemmar ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I know what you mean about DLC and believe me, i look at the lootboxes with disgust. On that note i hope there is a way to turn off server wide loot reports.

But i bought it because i want to support the game. I will likely not buy anything else aside elite status if i feel like i need/want it.

This mmo is unique in it's combat system and pve instance focus. I want more of these games to exist.
    Blueholes next mmo is tab target and while i think that is more popular, i also thing WoW does it really well already and theres no rivaling it. I want bluehole to keep betting on tera and action combat, and keep improving it.
  • voidy wrote: »
    idk why so many console players are surprised that there's no in game voice options
    You sure about this part? pretty sure I was able to use my mic and hear others in game during the technical test back in december. maybe not so much during the first beta but not everyone is even in the game chat across the system considering private parties are a thing, much like PC's Teamspeak and now Discord.
  • Why not just get a Twitch Prime code or something? Sign up for the free trial and you are in.

But yes, the packs are overpriced for what they offer, especially since everything is only claimable once and there is no daily EMP.
  • I found the beginning of your post hilarious.

"DLC to begin with is a creeping poison, most of us (that are not 'please someone, anyone.. especially devs.. like me.. i need to be liked' type of people) "

All this sad post is a call for attention and the need to be liked.
  • > @voidy said:
    > The head start is so dumb. People reach the level cap in literally six hours because of how they streamlined leveling. You won't be as behind as you think. If anything, the people who dropped 30 USD on a head start in a game like this are the ones who weren't thinking clearly. I have a lot of complaints about this game, I'm not some forum white knight or anything, but the head start is probably the last thing to complain about. Heck, the cosmetic stuff they get is character bound so they can't even use it again when they inevitably make a second character.
    >
    > In any case, the game's been out for years on PC. idk why so many console players are surprised that there's no in game voice options or that items get bound to characters, or (in this case) that the game is slowly getting more and more p2w, etc. An ounce of research would've saved a ton of people here money.

Cool loserpcboy is hitting up every thread now.

Why are you so desperate to bash console gamers?

Bring one of your dolls up to your mom and show her where consoles players hurt you.