Beware of Fake Auctions to crash market prices (AKA Negotiation function needs a timer)

Comments

• neoakneoak ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Elure wrote: »
    Eishaa wrote: »
    Wait, how were you able to know who the buyer was in order to inspect him? <w<

good question

Someone doesn't read the threads.

Answered at the top of page 2:
    Tuo wrote: »
    Eishaa wrote: »
    Wait, how were you able to know who the buyer was in order to inspect him? <w<

It says "[Buyer] is in negotiation" when trying to buy from the seller while they're in negotiation.

Edit:
    yjDG8Zh.png

• I think EME should find the person making these accounts, get their IP.. and then IP ban them and delete characters if their doing this just to be trolls and annoying everyone and trying to scam and stuff, would definately teach who is doing it and then they would never be seen on TERA ever again.
  • I've been scammed ;_;
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadsss wrote: »
    I think EME should find the person making these accounts, get their IP.. and then IP ban them and delete characters if their doing this just to be trolls and annoying everyone and trying to scam and stuff, would definately teach who is doing it and then they would never be seen on TERA ever again.

Only to be replaced by the next guy. The best alternative we all have here is information. Also, while it seems like a cheap move, so far the TOS doesn't directly address this practice. Maybe some clever interpretation of the current TOS can make this move appear illegal, though. I'm thinking around the parts dealing with managing the system in one's favor unfairly, or something like that.
  • canikizucanikizu ✭✭✭
    This is not new. It's been around forever since I started playing Tera. Normally when I saw stuffs like this, I'd just buy off the cheap one, it's still cheap for me and would annoy the guy. After some tries, he usually gave up that session.
  • neoakneoak ✭✭
    canikizu wrote: »
    This is not new. It's been around forever since I started playing Tera. Normally when I saw stuffs like this, I'd just buy off the cheap one, it's still cheap for me and would annoy the guy. After some tries, he usually gave up that session.

Again, you didn't read the OP nor the thread.

You can't buy it if it is locked in a negotiation.
  • Nopi wrote: »
    I think EME should find the person making these accounts, get their IP.. and then IP ban them and delete characters if their doing this just to be trolls and annoying everyone and trying to scam and stuff, would definately teach who is doing it and then they would never be seen on TERA ever again.

Only to be replaced by the next guy. The best alternative we all have here is information. Also, while it seems like a cheap move, so far the TOS doesn't directly address this practice. Maybe some clever interpretation of the current TOS can make this move appear illegal, though. I'm thinking around the parts dealing with managing the system in one's favor unfairly, or something like that.

I think you could certainly include it under "scamming" in the Rules of Conduct, or if not that both Trolling and Game Exploits. The latter says "If you use TERA’s game mechanics in any way the GMs deem unsportsmanlike or that deviates from the spirit of the game, the GM staff will not only make frownie faces at you, but possibly pursue disciplinary action." I think they're more than fully covered to take any needed action (and failing that, they can always use Rule 28...).
  • CatoriiCatorii ✭✭✭
    If you could just buy them out, that would be one thing. I know people have tried forcefully lowering prices a lot in the past by doing that and driving the "average" broker price down.

But the fact that he locks himself in negotiation so he can keep that up for hours is absurd, and there has to be some sort of punishment that can be given for that since he's obviously manipulating the system. It's a bit foggy and I'm not sure there's anything that specifically fits this situation in the ToS, though.

Noticed this guy yesterday. He had a bunch of stuff from MWA to feedstock all locked at lower prices. It really is a scam.
  • BorsucBorsuc ✭✭✭
    Nopi wrote: »
    so far the TOS doesn't directly address this practice.
    They can ban for no reason if they want according to the ToS. High time to put this into use on scum.
  • so someone making feedstock cheaper. i dunno if i want him to be gone.
  • SinastriaSinastria ✭✭✭
    To be honest i think that locking the item in auction using that mechanic is wrong, but set a low price as a bait is not. People should check before to be driven by greed to set the lowest price for fast money.

It's sellers fault there imho.
  • VenpaiVenpai ✭✭✭
    Nopi wrote: »

they're probably afk botting, which IS bannable
  • It's pretty smart of the seller to do this. [filtered] and scammy sure, but smart nontheless. I was actually surprised that the Buy Now doesn't work if the seller is in a negotiation, TIL. Pretty big bug to take advantage of if you ask me. Should be fixed asap.

But yeah, free market and yada yada. I always check the prices before putting big stuff for sell in order to avoid crap like this.
  • SinastriaSinastria ✭✭✭
    For me it's not legit to make the item not tradeable with that negotiation mechanic. That's an exploit 'cause it's of course not an intended behavior.

To set an item at a low price to see if people set low price as well is legit, just not that mechanic.
  • FeiiFeii ✭✭
    I saw this on TR yesterday, I almost listed my T9 fs at 8g because of it, but luckily I checked the prices for it first and realized it was a fake price..