Come tune into our weekly News Stream! Find all of TERA console and PC news here:

Why tera doesn´t have a DPS counter?

You can't see your DPS in game, you don't know if you or your group doing well.
You don't know if your rotation is well better than another or bad.
You don't have how to test which class is better and what for.
Without this certainly the game will fall soon on PS4.

So what enmasse will do to make the game better?

Comments

• MistyTera wrote: »
    First of all for what it caused on the community, because DPS meters created anathema among many honest players not using them and simply trying their best. I happened to come across this video, looking at skill rotation videos.

[video]

This is valid and I'm not the maker of this video.

The truth! Test on yourself and with others. It's considered cheating having the DPS meter! No offense, but it's literally asking for the answers, because you're frustrated. It makes everyone evenly matched if they had the answers. No MMO has given answers! I experimented with classes and tested my rolls, glyph advantages, and rotations with others and myself. Essential mana was given from people that tested with themselves and with others; some were DPS meter users :# . Look at Essential Mana, because it's a start to get at least somewhere. Anyways, it's over on the DPS Meters! GET REAL! STOP ASKING FOR IT!

Besides here on forums people ask questions about their class. People do help. So search for those forums or simply ask your questions about your class. That's what the community is for.

im not frustrated. Im lvl 42 playing on PS4, i came from WOW. The game just not provide too many things to be played for long time, just ocasionaly with friends. WOW we can use addons, so why cant enmasse build one to use for players?
  • Better if there is DPS meters for yourself, better than spend too many time looking combat logs
  • Dps meters are a bad idea for the most part. It's the divide between hardcore and casual gamers. It causes people to do the perform or boot. Or "oh your class isn't meta so we don't want you" mind sets. it causes a huge problem and it's only people who rely on dps meters who quit when they can't use one or someone who uses one trashes on a casual gamer for not having one. I havent done much end game just got to 65 but nothing seems hardcore enough to even need one. It's just huge dungeon mobs with a couple min boss fight.
  • And most mmos if not all it's against ToS to use add ons or 3rd party software. There are most people who use it for themselves but then there are those who abuse them and trash on everyone
  • AimoveraAimovera ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I think DPS meters are quite nice.
    But like mentioned above, it does create a chance for elitism and toxicity... but a lot of things in game can cause that, heck... people even decline you runs for your gear.
    DPS meter in itself is not a bad thing, it can help you improve on your class and see what does and doesn't work well for you.
    With only the combat log in game available, it's kind of guessing at your performance, as there's no hard proof of how you did. (Because honestly, you can see a bunch of high crits in there but that still doesn't indicate whether you're performing well or not, lol.
  • LinXiaoXingLinXiaoXing Jakarta, Indonesia ✭✭
    In my opinion, DPS-meter will result in `Elitist`,
    `Elitist` is approximately an act of some `experience` players in TERA that have `Superior` feeling than other players,
    because they are thinking has better Gear, Skills, Experience, and everything.
    they are tend to complaints to other players rather than give the solutions.

And some abnormal behaviors like this :
    - Blame you because of lacking DPS.
    - Compare each other, and lead to discrimination.
    - Sarkastics.
    - Selective.
    - Ignorance.

For overal, DPS meter is `bad`, and you know what i`m thinking?
    ENMASSE should `banned` player who is using DPS-meter for a month,
    DPS meter is ilegal program, and bad for community !!
  • Well, in some cases, having a dps meter would help players who aren't sure if their build/rotation is as good as it should be, and instead of scanning the combat log and asking other (better players) what their dps is like and compare it to yours, you could just use the dps meter and see if it correlates to a better players or if you need to improve.

Dps meters I've used in the past created competition to do the most damage, sorta for bragging rights, and allowed for me to watch and see if newer players were catching up or improving.. and to see if I was improving or catching the players that were better than myself.

Conclusion: DPS meters will either instill elitism or competition, that is up to the individual not the devs
  • edited June 13
    why there is not a dps meter because it makes players criticize other players, and people get demotivated a lot, because dungeon runs random when you see people do less damage they get kicked out. happened with me a lot when i started playing TERA, people using shinra dps meter basically downsized me because i play sorcerer class and was doing low dps, got a lot of kick-out in low tier dungeon when i was in guardian gear, and now i get kick outs from 439 dungeons simply because my dps hardly reached 1M/s i started using shinra meter myself because EME doesn't seem to bother and people complain a lot on my dps,, so i installed it so i can find players on servers who criticize my dpsing made a lot of complaints about them on global chat on their servers, well dps meter discourages sometimes when veteran players criticze newbies because of their low dps, but if you really want install shinra dps meter, although i think xing code blocks it now, but not sure because i haven't tried using it after xing got installed in the patch, dont wanna take risk of getting banned.

ONE THING IS TRUE I IMPROVED 60% ON MY DPS AFTER INSTALLING THE DPS METER SHINRA BECAUSE I USED TRIAL AND ERROR METHOD ON MY STATS AND ROTATIONS AND SAW RESULTS FOR MYSELF ON HOW TO IMPROVE MY DAMAGE, although i still suck alot on sorcerer because 80% of the time i play game its lagging and it can't be helped because of my ping 300ms, and its the best i can get, from my countries best ISP

LIKE FOR SORCERER I CAN MANAGE 3 METEOR STRIKE AND 2 ARCANE PULSE WHEN NOT LAGGING, AND NOT USING CD REDUCTION ON MY WEAPON I THINK, BUT MOSTLY ITS 2 METEOR AND 2 ARCANE PULSE WHEN I LAGG ALOT
  • TYHY5JXWXJTYHY5JXWXJ ✭✭
    edited June 13
    I like DPS meters as someone already said its a good way to compare against yourself (if nothing else) or another player of the same class.
    In neverwinter I was almost always at top with my Great Weapon Fighter but then I played with a new guy in our guild (also a GWF) that beat me almost everytime and sometimes by alot so I asked him what he did differently which was very helpful.
    Even a DPS meter for myself would be good (damage chat is of no help on console either since we cant parse that log in an easy way)

• MistyTera wrote: »
    First of all for what it caused on the community, because DPS meters created anathema among many honest players not using them and simply trying their best. I happened to come across this video, looking at skill rotation videos.

[video]

This is valid and I'm not the maker of this video.

The truth! Test on yourself and with others. It's considered cheating having the DPS meter! No offense, but it's literally asking for the answers, because you're frustrated. It makes everyone evenly matched if they had the answers. No MMO has given answers! I experimented with classes and tested my rolls, glyph advantages, and rotations with others and myself. Essential mana was given from people that tested with themselves and with others; some were DPS meter users :# . Look at Essential Mana, because it's a start to get at least somewhere. Anyways, it's over on the DPS Meters! GET REAL! STOP ASKING FOR IT!

Besides here on forums people ask questions about their class. People do help. So search for those forums or simply ask your questions about your class. That's what the community is for.

This is pretty much half the reasoning. If they gave us every answer straight up, there would be no experimentation of builds/skills within the game. We'd all jump onto the same things and play them the same way. Things would get very boring, very quickly. It would destroy any kind of diversity they hope to achieve within the game.

The other half of the reasoning fell on the community. New players still trying to learn were getting flamed by high-tier players with DPS meters. No advice or tips given to improve their play, just insults and getting kicked from Raids. It didn't take a lot of people using meters to make this happen. Only 1 of the 5+ members of the Raid Party to start it off.