[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Costume Swap

Dear EME,

Can option to get our costumes swapped be added back? It's really jarring that I can only stick to the races I have costumes for and not be able to try anything else out for a decent amount of time, simply because I would be stuck with the basic and uninspired base templates.

Can there atleast be certain time periods or dates where you allow costumes to be swapped to a new race? (like a certain week of the month?).

Comments

• NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was there ever a costume swap for changing races? Never seen such a thing (though I have been in and out, and now more out than in...)
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nopi wrote: »
    Was there ever a costume swap for changing races? Never seen such a thing (though I have been in and out, and now more out than in...)

Yes, they've recently changed race change service to only changing race, without the costume swap to new race, but before April it was possible to race change and have your costumes changed to new race via support.

They did decrease the price of the voucher but frankly it's hella lame in my opinion that they removed entirely that option.

yeah yeah, it obviously costs more to do the manual swap, but I don't know exactly if the main reason those vouchers sold well enough (if they did) in NA is because of such service. If that was the case, they could have shot themselves on the foot, but no idea. MAYBE the labor costs were higher than the value of the purchase, but dunno, like would it really cost close to 10 bucks to do this (the price difference between old and current service)? Basically if it didn't cost up to the difference in price, I would only assume it would reduce sales. I could be wrong tho, but well, En Masse never gonna reveal us that part.
  • CassandraTRCassandraTR ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, and the reason is that it is a huge burden on customer service. If you like your race and your costumes, then choose wisely.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElinLove wrote: »

Yes, they've recently changed race change service to only changing race, without the costume swap to new race, but before April it was possible to race change and have your costumes changed to new race via support.

They did decrease the price of the voucher but frankly it's hella lame in my opinion that they removed entirely that option.

yeah yeah, it obviously costs more to do the manual swap, but I don't know exactly if the main reason those vouchers sold well enough (if they did) in NA is because of such service. If that was the case, they could have shot themselves on the foot, but no idea. MAYBE the labor costs were higher than the value of the purchase, but dunno, like would it really cost close to 10 bucks to do this (the price difference between old and current service)? Basically if it didn't cost up to the difference in price, I would only assume it would reduce sales. I could be wrong tho, but well, En Masse never gonna reveal us that part.

Eh, when I and others proposed something similar long ago (before it was implemented), the response we usually got was that it was more profitable for the companies to force race change users to re-buy costumes. BHS made these costumes race exclusive from the start with that in mind. Fashion coupon stuff follows a different set of criteria, for example, in that they are class bound, becoming soulbound when equipped. But these can be used by any race or gender a player changes to.
  • Nopi wrote: »

Eh, when I and others proposed something similar long ago (before it was implemented), the response we usually got was that it was more profitable for the companies to force race change users to re-buy costumes. BHS made these costumes race exclusive from the start with that in mind.

Basically, if it were more profitable for the publishers to do these costume swaps, you could probably assume that all other regions would have been doing it as well and copying EME's lead. The fact that none of the other regions ever showed any interest in doing this, and now even EME stopped, suggests that it wasn't deemed to be worth it.

Doesn't change the fact that I think this service should still be offered somehow, even if you have to pay separately for it, but yeah -- the "shooting themselves in the foot" argument is tough to support when you have all the other markets to compare to.

• ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭

Eh, when I and others proposed something similar long ago (before it was implemented), the response we usually got was that it was more profitable for the companies to force race change users to re-buy costumes. BHS made these costumes race exclusive from the start with that in mind.

Basically, if it were more profitable for the publishers to do these costume swaps, you could probably assume that all other regions would have been doing it as well and copying EME's lead. The fact that none of the other regions ever showed any interest in doing this, and now even EME stopped, suggests that it wasn't deemed to be worth it.

Doesn't change the fact that I think this service should still be offered somehow, even if you have to pay separately for it, but yeah -- the "shooting themselves in the foot" argument is tough to support when you have all the other markets to compare to.

Daily reminder I didn't affirm they are shooting themselves on the foot.

I did say it would be an option that can happen, if the lock out from costumes swapping doesn't increase enough the costumes sales and the support cost per character changed is lower than the difference. To make it more clear: They have cheapened out the costs of the service. That would make the price paid as close to 100% profit as well, it's digital so no product to send/produce. Arguing that now people will buy new costumes is hard to prove. The old changer's cost was what, 10 dollars more? Let's say it was precisely that just for the point. If the man-hour cost to do this job of transferring costumes is more than those 10 dollars per swapped character, then you would be earning more per voucher now than before. Whoever, we also can't forget that the total earnings depends on voucher sales themselves, also if the correlation to people buying more costumes is true or not.

See, I'm not affirming that they did a wrong choice financially, I'm just pointing out it can actually lead to lower profits when you analyze the entire situation, you can't also forget that well, we are NOT K-TERA, J-TERA or EU-TERA's community, so we cannot directly assume that everything that worked there will do so here. You see, we've never had a 1:1 distribution of the game, and specially store pricings were always quite different, we're in short, used to a different version of a same game, not only that, we're a different costumer. Thus, while something may work the same in all regions, it may also just NOT work on all regions. Obviously, En Masse will not reveal anything to us about that.

Terrible business decisions also may happen at any time with even the best experts on the area, the gaming industry has had massive bummers quite many times. Atari Jaguar, "The Sega Saturn is not our future", Virtual Boy, what else could we name... In other words, it just may have indeed been a bad decision even if looked at other's numbers. By the way I also don't know if En Masse even has access to Gameforge's market/financial statistics.
    Another suspicion I have about the change, is that it may not necessarily be a matter of making more money or not, rather of staff need. If they just can't have the staff busy with the changes, they've gotta do something about that staff time sink.
  • It wont return because in all likelihood the service was considered the most expendable service their support staff offered that would reduce the most workload. Realistically the reason why that was cut off was probably so that support staff could be reallocated to Console without too heavily damaging their bottom line.
    There were probably other behind-the-curtains changes made to the way support handles certain things so that support resources could be reallocated to Console without hiring an entire team for dedicated Console support without taking from the existing PC support.

As it stands I don't think that EME has a huge budget for hiring/training new staff since, from just the recent going-ons, a lot of staff are covering multiple games or several duties not typical of their job. I mean, I think this is the longest period of time I've ever seen a large company go without a CM or any other dedicated community management staff for an MMO.
    All this is alongside the huge dip in quality for basically everything Tera PC related, from Support staff, Website management, Community management down to making sure basic information is correct like the dozens of miscommunications and errors in Patch notes/Event notices.
  • edited April 2018
    Another suspicion I have about the change, is that it may not necessarily be a matter of making more money or not, rather of staff need. If they just can't have the staff busy with the changes, they've gotta do something about that staff time sink.
    It's definitely about freeing up staff time, which is about improving overall efficiency/productivity (and so saving the company money). This was a low-priority time sink that wasn't worth what they were getting paid for it, when they could ask for moderately less ($8 less) and have it be totally automated (without the costume swap), even if they get somewhat less sales. Now support doesn't need to worry about it at all.

Daily reminder I didn't affirm they are shooting themselves on the foot.
    "Daily reminder" that I didn't say you did, just that the argument is tough to support. And it still is.
  • SaabiSaabi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Instead of speculating, we should ask. It's definitely possible for this to return in some way, even if it comes with limitations. Why not have this be a thing where we can only swap once per Month or something? There's many ways to limit this while keeping the feature. I would like an eme response to this.