[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Mass costume removal? Why?

Comments

• Not trying to defend EME or anything, but isn't that a commercial strategy? Removing object to have them come back for a limited time in some occasions, leading to an urge for players to buy them while they can? It's something we see in many games, so I guess it's a valid way for the company to make money, otherwise I don't think they would do it.
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, this sucks. On CH there're already no costumes being sold on the market, now it's just gonna get worse. Meanwhile all these dumb EMP sales/events have boosted the emp:gold ratio through the roof. Sigh.

If you hate them putting items on sale with the threat of removal, then don't participate; don't panic-buy items you wouldn't have normally purchased anyway. I keep seeing people who didn't care at all about elleon skins now jumping over themselves to buy them up as investments and frankly it's gross as heck that people do this and that eme knows they'll do it which is why they remove items in the first place. Just stop buying if you don't like it.
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    9LDTCPYFGY wrote: »
    Not trying to defend EME or anything, but isn't that a commercial strategy? Removing object to have them come back for a limited time in some occasions, leading to an urge for players to buy them while they can? It's something we see in many games, so I guess it's a valid way for the company to make money, otherwise I don't think they would do it.

there wont be a surge of players if the players continue to leave the game due to various reasons. I can see how that strategy would work if tera had a lot of players and continued to get more pouring in, but the players keep pouring out. it would be a better idea to have things to bring new and old players to the game.
    its their game, and their rules. so if they want to remove everything in the game, that's on them. I guess we will have to wait and see how all this plays out.
  • KackyKacky ✭✭
    With that many items leaving the store, I don't see how four days is enough notice to allow everyone to take advantage of said sales. Why couldn't this sale last throughout the month of May, like your anniversary event?

Is that "removed from the store" phrase up for interpretation? I mean, maybe they won't show up in the store anymore, but maybe some of these items will show up someplace else, like the Emporium?
  • edited May 2018
    Kacky wrote: »
    Is that "removed from the store" phrase up for interpretation? I mean, maybe they won't show up in the store anymore, but maybe some of these items will show up someplace else, like the Emporium?

Some of them already are in the Emporium, and if some day they ever get around to updating it, I assume more of them will go there. "Removed from the store" is like other past retired cosmetics in this case that will get brought back from time-to-time. It's not like the Attack on Titan or Hello Kitty sets that are gone forever (in which case they use much more explicit wording).

(Personally I think these sorts of retired cosmetics should be brought back more often, and I also thought this particular sale would have been a chance to bring back old retired and seasonal cosmetics...)
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres the way i see it:

Removing is never good. If you do not have a backup plan to justify the removal, then i dont know what you expect us to think. Some of this items could be considered as Seasonal, like the Picnic dresses, but others should remaing in the shop permanently, like the korean hanboks. If im not mistaken, only 1 or 2 of those are available in the Emporium, when there are 3 of them. One would be completely lost, with the only way to obtain it to be from the little stock there will be left in game.

We also have a dressing room. By removing the vast majority of the costumes from the shop, you would also need to remove the vast majority of the dressing room preview options, as people will be wondering "How and where i get this costume" To be met by a most unwelcoming answer "Is no longer available, buy it from other players" ok whats next? "Great, so how much it cost? i am a new player and i very much love this costume" followed by "The cheapest one is 700k gold"
    Tell me how a brand new player that have an interest in a costume, will be able to gather 700k gold, which is massive, in a relatively short amount of time, and no, "Swiping" or "P2W it" are out of question. We are talking about a new player who most likely is trying out the game for the first time and most likely doesn't have that amount of money to throw at a game hes/shes barely just starting.

Until i hear the official statement from EME or a valid point of argument of a Player Council member, who is suppose to bridge the EME staff to the community, I will not be satisfied to hear that EME is removing a huge amount of some of the best items available in the shop, without having told us if they are gonna be available through other methods. This is not transparency, this is simply butchering. I really hope, and this is taking it already too far, REALLY HOPING! this is part of your Emoprium Rework @seandynamite @CobaltDragon @SingleBear

Not to mention EMP prices are gonna drop like crazy with nothing worth buying from the shop.

What a nasty way to end what i was enjoying as a Great anniversary Month. I was enjoying the Hide and seek, the token shop, the titan hunt, all of it was nice, but this, this last move from EME really is gonna leave a sour flavor in my mouth. Seeing all of those costumes poof without notice of them coming back, is simply No Bueno.
  • MeningitisMeningitis ✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is that if they plan on removing pretty much everything and bringing back costumes for like a week at a time randomly, it's a dirty marketing tactic for pressuring players to buy something before it's gone. Don't like this mass purge. Not to mention that if they make things limited time available from now on, loot boxes are even less appealing. If you're gonna commit to this trash, EME, you better be ready to make everything direct buy when you introduce it from now on or you might lose a lot of business.
    edited May 2018
    EDIT: nvm misread smth
  • kamizuma wrote: »
    less is more

Easy to say when this is going to make you boatloads of money off of your costume hording. You're an economy ruining tumor.
  • CatservantCatservant ✭✭✭✭
    Meningitis wrote: »
    All I can say is that if they plan on removing pretty much everything and bringing back costumes for like a week at a time randomly, it's a dirty marketing tactic for pressuring players to buy something before it's gone. Don't like this mass purge. Not to mention that if they make things limited time available from now on, loot boxes are even less appealing. If you're gonna commit to this trash, EME, you better be ready to make everything direct buy when you introduce it from now on or you might lose a lot of business.

I strongly suspect this is the alternative to rng lootboxes. If so, this is a price some will be willing to pay.

The nightmare comes when it is both limited time and lootbox. *cross fingers*
  • CutechanCutechan ✭✭✭
    CornishRex wrote: »
    You know why they're doing it?
    To ensure higher quality service :)

Y I K E S
    Catservant wrote: »
    I strongly suspect this is the alternative to rng lootboxes. If so, this is a price some will be willing to pay.

The nightmare comes when it is both limited time and lootbox. *cross fingers*
    I hope you're right, but I'm not so sure. Recently they've had stuff for limited time and loot box (ex: flower footsteps). This is one of the times where if EME would keep their promise to be transparent, people would be a lot less agitated. But...we all know by now that EME's promise to be actually transparent was a lie. We can't even get regular reliable news about game updates from them.
    I'd wager that the new angelic cosmetics will probably be loot box and limited time. I really hope I'm wrong.
  • 6R1MM01R36R1MM01R3 ✭✭✭
    They are planning/trying to do a Gameforge and put some of those removed items back on sale now and then as some sort of sales flash then remove them again, it's too late for them to start doing that crap for profits.
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭✭
    > @6R1MM01R3 said:
    > They are planning/trying to do a Gameforge and put some of those removed items back on sale now and then as some sort of sales flash then remove them again, it's too late for them to start doing that crap for profits.

This works financially two ways:

1) Instant cash flow because of uncertainty over when you may be able to get them ever again. This is good business wise for EME because

1a) Looks good for anniversary month figures
    1b) Covers short term money lost from AVA shutting down (yeah, they did the ZMR free emp thing).

2) Burst sales based on demand. Basically they listen to people clamor for what they want and slide it into the store unannounced

2a) Burst sales for highly demanded stuff = instant cash flow. We already seen that Federation Gem boxes land at suspicious times.

2b) Less store items to manage at any one time. Less to manage = Less staff needed to employ => more money.

You can see where this is going.

Tera PC doesn't even have a dedicated CM anymore, and will probably never have one ever again, because money.

It's all a money grab now, conveniently when they need to make the books look good.
  • MyuuMewMyuuMew ✭✭
    you expect me to give you money for costumes yet you take them away AGAIN seriously eme idc if its cause you want your store to look clean and organized. you claim we will have a classic item sale yet we get this slap in the face, bad enough you ninjad removed FC from novelty merchants now this crap.

(also about the fc removal i sent in a ticket asking about it cause i thought it was a bug but nope)
This discussion has been closed.