XIGNCODE with next patch? Hello EME announce atleast that we are installing malware with this game!!

Comments

• @counterpoint
    I meant in the MMORPG genre tho I understand other genres do have an effect
    Guess MMORPGs have been falling off for several years now tho (that's the rumor anyways)

Would be very helpful to actually have some real statistics about the community's view on the subject. I think an EME made poll in the news section would do the trick but that's probably not happening unless the player council can suggest it or something.
  • DIONIDIONI ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    DeusFurta wrote: »
    @counterpoint
    I meant in the MMORPG genre tho I understand other genres do have an effect
    Guess MMORPGs have been falling off for several years now tho (that's the rumor anyways)

Would be very helpful to actually have some real statistics about the community's view on the subject. I think an EME made poll in the news section would do the trick but that's probably not happening unless the player council can suggest it or something.

I think the mmo genre will be like this for now, unlike fighting games that had some small revival over the years, this will be probably be the average playerbase for mmos.

EDIT: Except if one excepcional game comes and changes the market. The problem is: they are really rare.
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭✭
    GKWXJGDXPL wrote: »
    Let's just sum up the main points that we know to be true (please reply if any of the following are inaccurate):

Xigncode3 is an attempt to stop cheating.

Pros:
    • - It makes a slightly harder for people to cheat (see bypass)

It never stopped the Valkyrie Dreamslash exploit. This is evidenced since KTERA have used Xigncode for a couple of years now and people were using the exploit anyways.

Probably would not have stopped the Chat Bug. Probably wouldn't have stopped other exploits either.
  • edited June 2018
    clfarron4 wrote: »

It never stopped the Valkyrie Dreamslash exploit. This is evidenced since KTERA have used Xigncode for a couple of years now and people were using the exploit anyways.

Probably would not have stopped the Chat Bug. Probably wouldn't have stopped other exploits either.

Added to the list of cons. Thanks!

• edited June 2018
    Just trying to do an objective analysis of your points for the sake of the argument, and a few comments. (This is NOT trying to dismiss the arguments, just comments about them.)
    - Taxes the system to some degree by performing full file system hash scans.
    Technical Clarification: What people have suggested is that it scans files that have been touched/accessed within 48 hours (and even then, it may be subject to further criteria). If you have dozens of TBs of files attached to your computer, it's not like this is going to scan the whole thing, or it'd take literally hours to start the game.
    - Requires regedit to fully purge in some instances, even after uninstalling the original game.
    Because it wasn't installed by the original game (but installs when the game launches) the uninstaller can't remove the file or registry entry. (Installshield only removes things it created.) However, it doesn't do anything without being triggered by the game. So this is a "technically true, but sounds worse than it is" point.
    - Can generate false positives leading to users being unable to play or having to work around it (adding to the stack of backlogged EME tickets)
    This is potentially true, but I think EME would contest the severity of this point because they are already using it on all their other EME games (and BHS's self-published game, PUBG, which EME handles tickets for). They would probably say they are equipped to handle this.
    - The balance between usefulness and data exposure is heavily skewed toward the latter due to bypass.
    This is, at least, fairly subjective. The risk of "data exposure" doesn't seem higher than other anti-virus/anti-malware software that perform file checks based on signatures. The fact that players don't trust the developer is partly due to it being an international company, but BHS would say they trust them, as they've been using them for years now (as have many other Korean developers). So, at least, I don't think this argument will convince them.

I do want to say that I appreciate your effort to make a clear, fact-based analysis of the issue. My own conclusion was also "if it's not going to solve the problem, it doesn't seem worth it" and that would agree overall with the logic you presented. Even though I can't fully agree with each point for the above reasons/clarifications, I still liked your post.

Edit: Fixed quotes.
  • Just trying to do an objective analysis of your points for the sake of the argument, and a few comments. (This is NOT trying to dismiss the arguments, just comments about them.)
    DIONI wrote: »
    - Taxes the system to some degree by performing full file system hash scans.
    Technical Clarification: What people have suggested is that it scans files that have been touched/accessed within 48 hours (and even then, it may be subject to further criteria). If you have dozens of TBs of files attached to your computer, it's not like this is going to scan the whole thing, or it'd take literally hours to start the game.
    - Requires regedit to fully purge in some instances, even after uninstalling the original game.
    Because it wasn't installed by the original game (but installs when the game launches) the uninstaller can't remove the file or registry entry. (Installshield only removes things it created.) However, it doesn't do anything without being triggered by the game. So this is a "technically true, but sounds worse than it is" point.
    - Can generate false positives leading to users being unable to play or having to work around it (adding to the stack of backlogged EME tickets)
    This is potentially true, but I think EME would contest the severity of this point because they are already using it on all their other EME games (and BHS's self-published game, PUBG). They would probably say they are equipped to handle this.
    - The balance between usefulness and data exposure is heavily skewed toward the latter due to bypass.
    This is, at least, fairly subjective. The risk of "data exposure" doesn't seem higher than other anti-virus/anti-malware software that perform file checks based on signatures. The fact that players don't trust the developer is partly due to it being an international company, but BHS would say they trust them, as they've been using them for years now (as have many other Korean developers). So, at least, I don't think this argument will convince them.

I do want to say that I appreciate your effort to make a clear, fact-based analysis of the issue. My own conclusion was also "if it's not going to solve the problem, it doesn't seem worth it" and that would agree overall with the logic you presented. Even though I can't fully agree with each point for the above reasons/clarifications, I still liked your post.

Appreciate the feedback! Edited the post with your comments.

• DIONIDIONI ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    MistyTera wrote: »
    clfarron4 wrote: »

Which proves that XIGNCODE is useless, since a bypass exists! EME/BHS you failed, but I thank you for at least trying to stop these hackers.

Actually not even a bypass is needed for memeslash, it was a patch that solved the problem.

And using something that is proved obsolete is not really trying.
  • edited June 2018
    Appreciate the feedback! Edited the post with your comments.

Thanks for the consideration. I think your updates are an improvement at clarifying/narrowing the argument about the real concerns everyone has.

• In a thread with hundreds of replies all you have done is give is a link to a post you made that is filled with links to the website of the publisher.

You have not addressed our concerns and questions. There is hysteria and paranoia running rampant across this thread and the community regarding this, particularly because once again it was found out by a leak (much like that time the enchanting patch info was leaked).

It's obvious that you and other members of your team don't care for this community due to the amount of respect shown consistently. I can assure you that the feeling is mutual. But this is YOUR job and we are asking for communication and clarification and we aren't receiving it.

A half-assed approach will NEVER go unnoticed in this community.

Have respect for your players and people who have supported you throughout these years.
  • DIONIDIONI ✭✭✭
    @Lifegiver00 reminds me the Token problems at arsenal patch release
This discussion has been closed.