Stopping the Potential Exodus

I'm finally posting on this forum since the xigncode3 debacle killed TERA for me. I mean that literally. I can't even get the game to launch. XD Based on my experience with xigncode3 and the reports from others, it looks like this may turn into a situation where the player base retracts even though new content was released.

This got me to thinking of xigncode3 and cheaters. Not everyone even agrees that the kind of cheaters that xigncode3 even claims to catch are that big of a problem. Plus, from what I gather it sounds like xigncode3 isn't even that good at catching them. This leads to the question of whether xigncode3 is really worth this.

One potential solution to this (if EME is that dead set on using xigncode3) could be for them to make one or more xigncode3-free server(s). This would also require an xigncode3-free client to work with the xigncode3-free server(s). Why this could potentially help stop a player exodus is that it would give the players that find xigncode3 unworkable a place to go. Also, I have heard of some games using "hacks welcomed" type servers to cut down on cheaters on the regular servers. Maybe having xigncode3-free server(s) would have a similar effect on the xigncode3 servers. Maybe some of the current servers could even be merged to make room for the xigncode3-free servers.

I don't really expect EME to actually implement this idea, but maybe EME will see it and think it is a good idea.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Xigncod3 gets half way through loading and my ssd stops detecting. Works fine until I start tera. Most people are just bypassing it all together. Those on my discord are saying if they can manage to get in, it just makes the game lagier. The cheats still work too. Dps meters are still being used with out issue by people in pug groups, peopel that have modded ini's for better performance still works. Gold sellers still in chat. More memory errors, more frequent crashes, and an average of 5 to 10 fps drops over all. some even saying more ping. software blows [filtered] and i want it off my pc.
  • I'm hoping they remove xigncode3 personally, but I'd setting for creating a new character on an xigncode3 server if any were setup. I suspect xigncode3 killed the game for all of us who were playing on non-windows operating systems.
  • PeorthPeorth ✭✭
    Arch linux, wine 3.9-staging: Tera doesn't run anymore.
    Xigncode doesn't work with a 64-bit prefix, works only in 32bit mode.
    Launcher produces 100% cpu load on one core permanently.
    I used dxvk for vulkan emulation of directx and thought that might be the problem. Turns out it isnt.
    Havent figured out why xigncode spasms out. Not sure if it's worth the effort looking into.

Also I'm not sure I'm willing to take another fps drop just to run some maleware in the background. I already have enough lagspikes.

Since Eme customer support doesn't even play their game, nor can muster up enough time to log in on server to permaban gold sellers from velika and highwatch, I highly doubt that there is anyone at eme who does CS fulltime.

this whole xigncode idea might have started with good intentions, but execution was poor and from what people said so far Proxy, dpsmeter and everything else still works like before. Not sure what has been gained with this.
  • WadiWadi ✭✭
    If xigncode doesn't stop anything, and has no useful function, i would like to know how to bypass it please.
  • J3K55LK35E wrote: »
    I'm hoping they remove xigncode3 personally, but I'd setting for creating a new character on an xigncode3 server if any were setup. I suspect xigncode3 killed the game for all of us who were playing on non-windows operating systems.

Realized I botched what I was saying in the above quote. It was supposed to say that I'm hoping they remove xigncode3 personally, but I'd settle for creating a new character on an xigncode3-free server if any were setup.

As to wine, from what I gather, xigncode3 is just plain incompatible with it.
  • I saw a guild member that keeps getting dced, and heard that ppl in dungeons getting dced and having full wipes. so it's nothing bud bad news so far.
  • edited June 2018
    The specific suggestion, FWIW, won't work because maintaining two separate clients isn't really going to be sustainable for them, and would increase complexity and support for patching issues and the like. Besides, these servers would have to be in a different IMS region than the rest so they don't interface with each other, which would both sides of the split worse off in terms of queue times, etc. If by chance they were going to remove, it'd be for everyone.
  • The specific suggestion, FWIW, won't work because maintaining two separate clients isn't really going to be sustainable for them, and would increase complexity and support for patching issues and the like. Besides, these servers would have to be in a different IMS region than the rest so they don't interface with each other, which would both sides of the split worse off in terms of queue times, etc. If by chance they were going to remove, it'd be for everyone.

I see your points. If xigncode3 does wind up triggering a player exodus, though, the IMS issue may very well be meaningless.

In regard to the versions, I'm not sure how difficult maintaining a xigncode3 version and an xigncode3-free version would be. It could be as simple as maintaining one version and running some kind of tool on it to generate the other version, or it could be much more complex. Point is I don't know how xigncode3 is added to a game.
  • Well all my friends want me to move to BDO, so this may be the opportune time to do so.
  • The specific suggestion, FWIW, won't work because maintaining two separate clients isn't really going to be sustainable for them, and would increase complexity and support for patching issues and the like. Besides, these servers would have to be in a different IMS region than the rest so they don't interface with each other, which would both sides of the split worse off. If by chance they were going to remove, it'd be for everyone.

It's probable you know more then me about how the system works...

AFAIK: (I don't really know anything)
    1/ xigncode is a completely separate process from TERA.
    2/ the client just launches xigncode and (maybe) makes sure it is continually active.
    3/ if the client gets the responses it wants from the xigncode process "yes, I'm still running, thanks for asking" and is still connected to the server then it's fine.

the idea is that the client will tell xigncode to run in a "do nothing" configuration and it will just emulate how it would respond if it found nothing suspicious (assuming the client checks to see if its running at all)

while in this mode it will not generate a "heartbeat", so if some smart person figures out how to tell it to turn off, then you would still get kicked from a xigncode server after 5 minutes.

they could also configure the client to still run if XIGNCODE is not even present and you'll just get kicked from any XIGNCODE server.

unfortunately, I don't know enough about how the whole thing works, so I don't know how to give an expert answer, but it definitely looks like EME could just make some servers XIGNCODE required and others not.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    > @MadameDryIce said:
    > Well all my friends want me to move to BDO, so this may be the opportune time to do so.

Bdo has xigncode too hue
  • unfortunately, I don't know enough about how the whole thing works, so I don't know how to give an expert answer, but it definitely looks like EME could just make some servers XIGNCODE required and others not.
    Problem is it's not just like "TR is TR" or something. It's a whole bunch of servers that interact, besides just the world server. Whenever you do IMS or Battleground Matching, the different servers are pooled together onto instance servers. You can't let those interact, so you have to basically segregate it all.

But besides, anyway, as I've pointed out before, they forced all of PUBG to use this and everyone on all their other games, plus most other regions of TERA. I can all but guarantee there's nothing we could ever do or say that would convince them it's worth setting up two sets of servers with different settings for this. They won't see us as that special that we can't "just deal" like everyone else, for better or worse.
  • Korean are again proved they are nothing but fools to keep using useless program that cannot stop hacker/cheaters.
    Well.. time to quit this game for good I guess. Game is getting boring now and they are kind enough to give me reason to get out.
  • KillerPenguinsKillerPenguins ✭✭✭✭
    The real potential exodus is not actually people moving away from TERA, what is actually happening as a result of xigncode3 is that people are moving away from unmodified tera to use "cheats" that actually.. run the game more smoothly, with less hassle, and less bugs.. I'm usually the first to complain about people cheating, but trying to play tera right now for me is like grinding my teeth between the massive random frame drops and enormous ping spikes, and it's incredibly tempting to join the hordes of my fellow players who have turned to 3rd party utilities to fix these problems this week. Of course, once you stop playing legit tera just to get away from xigncode3, it's a slippery slope of "Oh, well, this just helps run the game better. this one just fakes a lower ping. this one just makes it so stuns aren't as annoying. this one just makes it so backstab never fizzles because i missed lol." and suddenly you've got more people cheating than you did before the "anti-cheat" rootkit was forced down our throats
  • ReChoaReChoa ✭✭✭
    Honestly even without the xigncode, IMO eme's incompetence and lack of ability to ever push a maint on time will kill the game, many people seem to be having trouble to actually be able to just run the game after this patch.