Come tune into our weekly News Stream! Find all of TERA console and PC news here:

Tera might be TOO EASY to enjoy: Revised

Old thread just wasn't set up in a way that could actually hope to change anything, so here's the attempt to "correct" what I see wrong.

I'm a non-elite player that averages 3 hours of gameplay for each of 3 days a week that I play. I'd like to play more, but don't have the time. Anyways, I do not use exp-boosts, and I only do Story Missions. In my experience, only doing Story, I am having to stop during the quest chains, move to a new chain in a new zone, and proceed half-way through that chain, before repeating the process over again. I made 65 in a few days, an Alt over 50 in the same few days. The amount of experience being granted by the Story Missions alone is over-leveling me beyond reason. I'm too high to do the early Raids before I've realized they're available. The Side Missions don't get touched because I'm already out-leveled and they are worth nothing. It doesn't matter that I can't do early Raids for gear, because the Daily Vanguards I can't avoid completing give equivalent gear. I don't know the exact ratios, but flying through the Story, you only visit (roughly) 30% of Tera's available land mass. The other (roughly) 70% may as well not even be in the game at this point. And to quote someone from the previous thread, "I treat wild mobs like they're threatened with extinction." Again, the amount of exp already acquired just makes them worthless, and I'm already concerned about being over-leveled. I spend my time running past them to higher zones. I don't learn anything about my class or abilities along the way. Many abilities are flat-out 1-shots, and many chains can wipe groups in 3. I have a buddy playing Mystic who just hit lvl 61 and still doesn't know what any of his healing skill are or do. He's just walking around through Story and killing what needs killings. Granted, not everyone is as dense as him, but he is a real-life example I can point at to highlight my point. The only way I've been able to learn is to take the time myself to wactch/read guides online, hope they're up-to-date (I'm on console and most good guides are out-dated/for PC, who's current patch doesn't match ours), and pray my party members have done the same. I feel as though the way the game currently stands, 80+% of the game's potential has been wasted, and directed and simply making you land at max level with the starting max level gear in hand. This makes me really sad. The bits of the Storyline I've gotten to learn have been really good, but there's no draw to pull you into it. On the contrary, you're pushed passed and through to end-game before you've had a chance to find out what exactly Tera is all about.

I want to find a way to bring Tera back to a game that has a meaningful and impactful story. I want a reason and way to explore more of the map and side missions, and give them a purpose for being there in the first place. I want to feel like I'm actually playing a game with my friends in a crazy fantasy world, helping the Castanics prove their loyalty to the Federation, and help the Federation win a big war, with some killer Raids and gear to look forward too after we've gotten through the game itself. You don't need straight Player Factions like WoW, but there's a reason WoW keeps it's players for so long. Rocky wouldn't have been a successful movie franchise if it were purely a written boxing match. It would have just been the WWE of Boxing movie version, without sequels.Why would anyone watch that when they could just put real boxing on the tv? Blizzard recognizes this as a large enough problem to come back out with Vanilla servers to satisfy the fan base. I don't think Tera needs that setup, as I believe they have the potential to satisfy most of us if we could simply agree on something. We all love some part of the game or we wouldn't be here.

Anyways, I know some people will agree, some will disagree. I do not want this thread to be another pointless argument of opinions about whether or not the game SHOULD change. That outcome is already guaranteed: roughly 50% yes, roughly 50% no, and EME/BHS completely ignore the thread. What this thread will focus on is HOW we could change the game for the better. Let's get some ideas rolling that we think could change the game to make the most amount of people happy with the way things go. Any comments in this thread simply saying, "that's dumb" or "you're an idiot", or anything similar, will be reported and removed from my thread. However, if your comment is along the lines of, "I disagree with X because of Y, and I offer Z as an alternative solution". then you will be thanked for your input, regardless of ideology, and a discussion of education and progression will commence. Again, let's work together and see if we can actually improve upon what we view as wrong with the game in a manner that EME/BHS might actually notice and pay attention too.

Note: I am not a programmer. I am not an IT Expert of any kind in any way. I have the passion of a hardcore gamer, but not necessarily the skills to back it up. Any numbers I throw up as far as percentages, time frames, or general values; theses are purely off-hand recommendations/beliefs based upon my limited experience and ideas. Please do not assume any of it as absolute fact, or final number values. After all, the point of the thread is to change these around to something we mostly all like.

To start, I fully understand no one wants to return to a 3-month grind just to reach lvl 65 and start on end-game, which would take another 3-6 months, depending on schedule & RNGesus. That is agreeably beyond horrid. But a week (especially for casuals) is also beyond horrid. So what's a good time frame for players to acquire 64 levels (since you start at 1)? It's my opinion that you have to look at the Hardcore Players to base this on, since we'd want that to be the minimum amount of time required, and give us a sense of scaling for other players. I'll define a HC Player as someone that gets in 15+ hours per week. This is not me, but I'd like it to be, and in my opinion, a week to a week and a half would be a good time frame for a HC on an Alt or something. Maybe call that a week and a half to 2 weeks for an HC's first toon. A Casual Player, or CP, would take about double that time, meaning 3 weeks to a month to max level a toon. It's my belief that anyone not willing to put that much time into a toon probably won't be in your game for long anyways, and the people serious about leveling faster can still do so in a week and a half, which I think is a fair time frame. Basically 3x-5x as long as it currently takes. But really, any kind of pressure on the metaphorical break pedal would be a blessing, imo.

Expanding the game without needing new content would not be hard at all. Once the above time frame is established to agreement, the current exp system could be adjusted accordingly off percentages, then moved around. Like, if we average and say make it take 4x as long as current, every exp value in the game gets a 75% reduction in exp value. Easy 4x time multiplier. Then, they could move 30% of a Zone's Story Mission Exp to the Side Missions as an Exp buff. If the Side Missions were between the Story Missions in geographical location, you'd lose almost no time in completing them, get same total exp, but be accomplishing more in the interim for your internal "feel goods". There's also the potential to lower Mob Exp and add it to the Side Mission Exp, as well. Just shifting the exp to these other areas won't effect time in the long run by very much at all, and would give people a reason to do the Side Missions and learn the games' stories, conflicts, and zones. They already put a lot of hard work into a lot of pretty areas, they need to showcase them so it wasn't all pointless wasted time and money. Possibly even move most Story Mission Exp and most Mob Exp straight into Side Missions. SM sends you all across an area gathering info about the mission and it's puzzle, collect a few supplies or puzzle pieces for it, then go solbe the puzzle to unlock and fight a super-tough boss. Running around for the SM or killing the boss don't grant a lot of Exp, but turning in the SM itself at the end would be a massive jump in Exp.

I would personally be against the following, but I know there are some that would agree, so I'll state it anyways; an alternative way to get people more involved in the map itself would be to make teleportation increasingly rare, pegasus flights absurdly expensive, and make people that don't pay a sub walk around more. Paid players get discounts or whatever back to current rates or something. I'd greatly prefer the previous of spreading out missions and re-valuing their exp. but here's this alternative for the greedy.

I would like to remove the Vanguard System, Pre-60. The Raid-equivalent gear it currently provides would be slightly scaled down, and replace the current rewards of the Side Missions, further increasing the value of SMs, and giving us more reason to acknowledge their existence. I do agree with the current system Post-60 giving small amounts of tokens to collect and exchange for specific bits of gear. That really goes a long way to helping crappy rolls during Raids, and at this point in the game, it's ok to start shifting the focus back away from Questing & Stories, and into the end-game mentality of "Let's Freakin Raid!!!". It's my opinion that this is actually the perfect point in the game to make this transtition.

Personally, I don't have any complaints about Tera AFTER reaching the End-Game content. My problems are with how quickly you get there, and feeling like I'm not even playing a game before I arrive. All you do is ride around to different NPC's clicking their talk menus over and over until you're 65.

This is by no means a complete list of everything I dislike, or every solution to them. But my comment is already insanely long, it's taken forever to type and word in a civil and open-minded manner, and I want to leave plenty of room for suggestions from other players, both new and improvements upon my own.

I know there's a ton of people out there with better suggestions than I have to offer, and I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Comments

  • 1 - 65 is now tutorial, it's literally only Endgame that's the game now. It's too far along for any of the pre-60 to have worth so the game have already being adjusted to compensate on where the new content is.

    Also, as always which is becoming like broken record console is just a copy of a copy of the actual game. You can read on Essential Mana what changes kTera is implementing and just theory craft for whenever the hell they trickle down to console.

    On the side note of difficulty, it's interesting really because any endgame post 65 stuff i engage in there is still hundreds who only spam their normal attack and ignore mechanics and don't get it so the engagement is super low and if we use the Achievements as a measuring stick tons of people once they hit 65 just stop playing with how low the percentage gain gain is for post 65 dungeons.

    I feel the console will just be a tight knit group who focus on it and play with each other, because trying to be a loner or solo things is just at a lost now.
  • If they were to change it (hypothetically speaking of course) and change the values of exp gain in the game, have your original first toon on a server not have jacked up exp gain till that toon reaches 65. That way it can experience the story of the world.

    But if the same account makes more toons on account even on different servers, then put it what it is now. No one in their right mind making alts wants to sit thru the same story 16 times.
  • Lhumierre wrote: »
    1 - 65 is now tutorial, it's literally only Endgame that's the game now. It's too far along for any of the pre-60 to have worth so the game have already being adjusted to compensate on where the new content is.

    Also, as always which is becoming like broken record console is just a copy of a copy of the actual game. You can read on Essential Mana what changes kTera is implementing and just theory craft for whenever the hell they trickle down to console.

    On the side note of difficulty, it's interesting really because any endgame post 65 stuff i engage in there is still hundreds who only spam their normal attack and ignore mechanics and don't get it so the engagement is super low and if we use the Achievements as a measuring stick tons of people once they hit 65 just stop playing with how low the percentage gain gain is for post 65 dungeons.

    I feel the console will just be a tight knit group who focus on it and play with each other, because trying to be a loner or solo things is just at a lost now.

    I know console is a copy of PC, and we can follow their patches to see what's coming. If I remember correctly, console is 6 patches behind PC. I kinda see your post as a simplified statement of the state of them game being the problem it is. I wish I could condense my thoughts down enough to match your ability to state things clearly without needing 15 paragraphs.

    Anyways, do you have any thoughts or ideas that could possibly lead to correcting the issues you bring up? Or make the game feel more like a game as you're working your way through? I agree with what you say, and I'd like to know how you think it could be improved upon.
  • MD4EEW6RDN wrote: »
    Lhumierre wrote: »
    1 - 65 is now tutorial, it's literally only Endgame that's the game now. It's too far along for any of the pre-60 to have worth so the game have already being adjusted to compensate on where the new content is.

    Also, as always which is becoming like broken record console is just a copy of a copy of the actual game. You can read on Essential Mana what changes kTera is implementing and just theory craft for whenever the hell they trickle down to console.

    On the side note of difficulty, it's interesting really because any endgame post 65 stuff i engage in there is still hundreds who only spam their normal attack and ignore mechanics and don't get it so the engagement is super low and if we use the Achievements as a measuring stick tons of people once they hit 65 just stop playing with how low the percentage gain gain is for post 65 dungeons.

    I feel the console will just be a tight knit group who focus on it and play with each other, because trying to be a loner or solo things is just at a lost now.

    I know console is a copy of PC, and we can follow their patches to see what's coming. If I remember correctly, console is 6 patches behind PC. I kinda see your post as a simplified statement of the state of them game being the problem it is. I wish I could condense my thoughts down enough to match your ability to state things clearly without needing 15 paragraphs.

    Anyways, do you have any thoughts or ideas that could possibly lead to correcting the issues you bring up? Or make the game feel more like a game as you're working your way through? I agree with what you say, and I'd like to know how you think it could be improved upon.

    Edit: Ways to improve that won't really effect the players that do enjoy end-game more than the rest. A balance point.
  • If they were to change it (hypothetically speaking of course) and change the values of exp gain in the game, have your original first toon on a server not have jacked up exp gain till that toon reaches 65. That way it can experience the story of the world.

    But if the same account makes more toons on account even on different servers, then put it what it is now. No one in their right mind making alts wants to sit thru the same story 16 times.

    That sounds like a good thought, and I agree with your ideology, 110%. How could they go about accomplishing this?

    Maybe Toons after the first lvl 65 all get the OPTION to start like a Reaper? Players that want their Alt, of any Class, to be at max level quickly could select the option to start at lvl 50, and players that didn't could simply start at level 1 just like normal? This seems like a really fair compromise that could suit most players, as well as BHS/EME. I don't think it would cost very much time or $ to incorporate, either. They already have the proof of concept and base model for starting/scaling finished in the Reaper, so this wouldn't be a feature built from scratch.

    Another potential option would be to remove the Exp Boost Scrolls from the game for non-Elite players for their first toon. Buff the Scrolls up a lot, and give them to Alts as the time-saver. Elite players will always have a choice of leveling-speed, and BHS/EME can easily adjust the % of the Scrolls' Buffs to acquire whatever desired leveling-speed they want.

    Any problems with these suggestions y'all can think of? Better Alternatives? Or just more options? What about anything else you don't like in the game that you think could be improved upon? I mean come on, as many threads as there are with as many different complaints, surely we can all get together in 1 place, and work together to come up with suggestions for improvement. Enough of us agreeing on something truly beneficial will get the Devs' attention. Enough of us working together to lay out specific ideas could save the Devs enough time and trouble to consider working off of our ideas. Hell, Indalamar did it so well, he got hired to be a Dev. If we could get 100 of us working together towards the same goal, surely we could match the ability of 1 man. Obviously I don't mean getting hired as Devs, but if I didn't state that, I know someone would believe it was implied.
  • Just like WoW don't use any of the enhancements and QoL changes that were implemented over the years so essentially.

    Don't use Vanguard at all, don't follow only red quest, do the yellows and explore. The reason leveling is so quick because vanguard gives millions all the way to the top.

    Play it like Release Tera using side quest and main to hit 65. It will definitely slow down the experience, on top of that walk to each dungeons entrance and use chat for party and ignore the queue you will get your staggard leveling slow down definitely.
  • Lhumierre wrote: »
    Just like WoW don't use any of the enhancements and QoL changes that were implemented over the years so essentially.

    Don't use Vanguard at all, don't follow only red quest, do the yellows and explore. The reason leveling is so quick because vanguard gives millions all the way to the top.

    Play it like Release Tera using side quest and main to hit 65. It will definitely slow down the experience, on top of that walk to each dungeons entrance and use chat for party and ignore the queue you will get your staggard leveling slow down definitely.

    Just like WoW, they're impossible to avoid. I don't try to do Vanguards, they just get completed as I'm doing Story. If I do any Sides, I just have to skip that much more Story to get back to level appropriate. I'd have to stop upgrading skills and equipping new gear to actually slow down any of the gameplay, and that would be ignoring even more of the game. WoW recognizes the "QoL Improvements" were actually so detrimental to the game itself, they're coming back out with Vanilla Servers. But I like Tera better than WoW. Idk if it's the action-combat, or what, but it just appeals to me more. I don't wan't Tera to have to split its fanbase like that. I don't want them to have to worry about brand new servers, or monitoring different kinds for the same platforms. That's an insane amount of time and cost to invest, even to the Blizzard cash-cow. There's absolutely no reason Tera couldn't combine the best aspects into 1 outstanding game, except we the community won't get together and decide what those aspects are. I appreciate that you're trying to contribute, but this thread isn't about trying to find loophole playstyles in an attempt to emulate a "full" game experience by ignoring even more of the game. I wanna hear some ideas about how the game can change to improve it, without making it too long & hard, or fast & easy. Even if that's a cross between Release Tera & Current, which parts do you think should be changed or kept, and how/why? If you don't have a suggestion for change to throw out, or a reason why a previous suggestion wouldn't work for everyone, then I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask you to stop posting in the thread. :(
  • MD4EEW6RDN wrote: »
    Lhumierre wrote: »
    Just like WoW don't use any of the enhancements and QoL changes that were implemented over the years so essentially.

    Don't use Vanguard at all, don't follow only red quest, do the yellows and explore. The reason leveling is so quick because vanguard gives millions all the way to the top.

    Play it like Release Tera using side quest and main to hit 65. It will definitely slow down the experience, on top of that walk to each dungeons entrance and use chat for party and ignore the queue you will get your staggard leveling slow down definitely.

    Just like WoW, they're impossible to avoid. I don't try to do Vanguards, they just get completed as I'm doing Story. If I do any Sides, I just have to skip that much more Story to get back to level appropriate. I'd have to stop upgrading skills and equipping new gear to actually slow down any of the gameplay, and that would be ignoring even more of the game. WoW recognizes the "QoL Improvements" were actually so detrimental to the game itself, they're coming back out with Vanilla Servers. But I like Tera better than WoW. Idk if it's the action-combat, or what, but it just appeals to me more. I don't wan't Tera to have to split its fanbase like that. I don't want them to have to worry about brand new servers, or monitoring different kinds for the same platforms. That's an insane amount of time and cost to invest, even to the Blizzard cash-cow. There's absolutely no reason Tera couldn't combine the best aspects into 1 outstanding game, except we the community won't get together and decide what those aspects are. I appreciate that you're trying to contribute, but this thread isn't about trying to find loophole playstyles in an attempt to emulate a "full" game experience by ignoring even more of the game. I wanna hear some ideas about how the game can change to improve it, without making it too long & hard, or fast & easy. Even if that's a cross between Release Tera & Current, which parts do you think should be changed or kept, and how/why? If you don't have a suggestion for change to throw out, or a reason why a previous suggestion wouldn't work for everyone, then I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask you to stop posting in the thread. :(

    Vanguard rewards aren't automatic you have to claim them, so if you complete them just remove them from showing on the quest list and don't claim them so you don't boost in level.

    I played WoW since 05, their not detrimental at all. They are coming out with Vanilla servers because people asked for them otherwise they would play on a private server which got C&D'd and those people who were running it were brought to Blizz HQ to talk about how they got it to run on modern hardware and thus Nostarius helped Blizz to have a old school progression server ala what Everquest did.

    Tera was never designed with the west in mind and thus things like this have come and go for years, There was backlash alone when they removed the President system. It got so huge with stuff that they abandoned the original forums and made the new ones and archived everything else they didn't delete.

    When MMOs are years out, it stops being about the beginner content. All the new stuff is all post 65 as the time for experiencing any of the pre 65 stuff was when 60 was the max and that was eons ago.

    I honestly don't think the game has a issue besides conveying how actually play and how roles work, all that was removed as tera changed over the years for what ever reason. Console Tera feels like a wasteland with everyone just doing their own thing with zero direction. Anything post 410 gear score is a absolute nightmare without a team of people you know communicating.

    They need a "new" New player experience that's what should be worked on not slowing down the leveling process. A Real tutorial would be grand like the one they had before it was removed when Tera went F2P. The other healthy thing especially for console I would do is merge servers because the playerbase is already split and having all these PVE server for no reason only splits it more when the engagement rate is super low. Also why bother with PVP servers when they removed all PVP related things that MADE IT a pvp server from the game? You can only queue battleground at max level and that is done on all servers the same way. the "Outlaw" skill was made lv 65 only and even then only on the Island of Dawn as it's the only conflicted area. So PVP was almost forgotten about.

    Tera, SkyForge, DCUO, FFXIV, Neverwinter, Elder Scrolls Online, Planetside 2, Destiny, The Division, Warframe all are competing against each other and retention is a big thing on console because of how it's setup. Most of the smaller MMOs are barely thriving so they get treated even more like a afterthought on console sadly.

    DCUO, Warframe / FFXIV are the only ones that are 1:1 because PS4 plays on the same server as PC they are a joined community. So those communities are super healthy give or take because it's treated more as a feature instead of a separate step-child.

  • Lhumierre wrote: »
    MD4EEW6RDN wrote: »
    Lhumierre wrote: »
    Just like WoW don't use any of the enhancements and QoL changes that were implemented over the years so essentially.

    Don't use Vanguard at all, don't follow only red quest, do the yellows and explore. The reason leveling is so quick because vanguard gives millions all the way to the top.

    Play it like Release Tera using side quest and main to hit 65. It will definitely slow down the experience, on top of that walk to each dungeons entrance and use chat for party and ignore the queue you will get your staggard leveling slow down definitely.

    Just like WoW, they're impossible to avoid. I don't try to do Vanguards, they just get completed as I'm doing Story. If I do any Sides, I just have to skip that much more Story to get back to level appropriate. I'd have to stop upgrading skills and equipping new gear to actually slow down any of the gameplay, and that would be ignoring even more of the game. WoW recognizes the "QoL Improvements" were actually so detrimental to the game itself, they're coming back out with Vanilla Servers. But I like Tera better than WoW. Idk if it's the action-combat, or what, but it just appeals to me more. I don't wan't Tera to have to split its fanbase like that. I don't want them to have to worry about brand new servers, or monitoring different kinds for the same platforms. That's an insane amount of time and cost to invest, even to the Blizzard cash-cow. There's absolutely no reason Tera couldn't combine the best aspects into 1 outstanding game, except we the community won't get together and decide what those aspects are. I appreciate that you're trying to contribute, but this thread isn't about trying to find loophole playstyles in an attempt to emulate a "full" game experience by ignoring even more of the game. I wanna hear some ideas about how the game can change to improve it, without making it too long & hard, or fast & easy. Even if that's a cross between Release Tera & Current, which parts do you think should be changed or kept, and how/why? If you don't have a suggestion for change to throw out, or a reason why a previous suggestion wouldn't work for everyone, then I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask you to stop posting in the thread. :(

    Vanguard rewards aren't automatic you have to claim them, so if you complete them just remove them from showing on the quest list and don't claim them so you don't boost in level.

    I played WoW since 05, their not detrimental at all. They are coming out with Vanilla servers because people asked for them otherwise they would play on a private server which got C&D'd and those people who were running it were brought to Blizz HQ to talk about how they got it to run on modern hardware and thus Nostarius helped Blizz to have a old school progression server ala what Everquest did.

    Tera was never designed with the west in mind and thus things like this have come and go for years, There was backlash alone when they removed the President system. It got so huge with stuff that they abandoned the original forums and made the new ones and archived everything else they didn't delete.

    When MMOs are years out, it stops being about the beginner content. All the new stuff is all post 65 as the time for experiencing any of the pre 65 stuff was when 60 was the max and that was eons ago.

    I honestly don't think the game has a issue besides conveying how actually play and how roles work, all that was removed as tera changed over the years for what ever reason. Console Tera feels like a wasteland with everyone just doing their own thing with zero direction. Anything post 410 gear score is a absolute nightmare without a team of people you know communicating.

    They need a "new" New player experience that's what should be worked on not slowing down the leveling process. A Real tutorial would be grand like the one they had before it was removed when Tera went F2P. The other healthy thing especially for console I would do is merge servers because the playerbase is already split and having all these PVE server for no reason only splits it more when the engagement rate is super low. Also why bother with PVP servers when they removed all PVP related things that MADE IT a pvp server from the game? You can only queue battleground at max level and that is done on all servers the same way. the "Outlaw" skill was made lv 65 only and even then only on the Island of Dawn as it's the only conflicted area. So PVP was almost forgotten about.

    Tera, SkyForge, DCUO, FFXIV, Neverwinter, Elder Scrolls Online, Planetside 2, Destiny, The Division, Warframe all are competing against each other and retention is a big thing on console because of how it's setup. Most of the smaller MMOs are barely thriving so they get treated even more like a afterthought on console sadly.

    DCUO, Warframe / FFXIV are the only ones that are 1:1 because PS4 plays on the same server as PC they are a joined community. So those communities are super healthy give or take because it's treated more as a feature instead of a separate step-child.

    The Vanguards aren't the only thing that boost exp too much. Again, that would be ignoring part of the game to enjoy it, instead of having a (more) enjoyable game. My belief is that they wouldn't have any need for the Vanguards (Pre-60) if they simply moved the Vanguard Rewards to the Side Missions. It would be close to the same thing, I realize, but having to go to an area and find the NPC to start it, then go do it, then return to NPC to collect rewards; just feels more like you're actually doing something. As opposed to just having them pop into their own inventory-style menu and collected wherever you're at. There's the possibility that doing so might even remove the majority of the exp scaling I think is currently necessary. If the trip to/from the NPC totaled, say 10 minutes, then that could easily add a day and a half to leveling time, from 1-60. As someone that dislikes current leveling speed, that seems like a great and reasonable increase to me. Since you seem opposed, what's your opinion on that? If BHS/EME did as I describe above, would that ruin any of the games' experience for you? Which parts? What do you see as the middle ground?

    The WoW situation... They were detrimental to half the players. They were fine with half the players.There were so many complaints being ignored by Blizzard for so long, that fans (re)made the game themselves how they thought it should be. Nostalrius & Elysium came to be, by 2 different groups. If that isn't glaringly a "detrimental problem", nothing is. Blizzard did get a C&D, but it was temporary. I don't recall all the legal terms, or if it came before/after Nostalrius/Elysium merged into 1, but they got legal protection by taking no money from any sources, their programmers "donated" their time & work, and that let the server be legally for the preservation of the original game, instead of a copyright-infringing knockoff. That last bit really ain't important, but I felt like sharing since it was interesting when I learned it. Anyways, that ended up costing Blizzard an ungodly amount of money. And Tera being F2P, they'd really have no way to make that back if they got forced into the same situation. That's what I don't want to happen. There shouldn't be 2 different games further dividing the community, anyways. Maybe Tera's fanbase hasn't reached that level of problematic just yet, but I see it coming without preventative measures. Really, what's stopping Tera from following the same footsteps? If you know the answer, please share, as I do not.

    I don't believe it matters that Tera wasn't designed with the West in mind. Any company creating and selling any product, or desiring income on their product, knows that different geographical regions have different demands and requirements. No 2 nations on the planet have completely identical cultures. Products must be adapted to meet all of those needs. Even cars. Vehicles destined for coastal regions have slightly different chemical make-ups for their paints and such than a car destined for a dealership in the middle of the continent, to deal with the extra corrosive properties of the salty air, and that's within the same nation. Similar considerations are even taken for altitude. Adapting is a part of survival for any product. On that note, not all adaptations are correct or work as intended. Since KR, EU, and NA servers are all already separated, they have the ability to make minor changes to each of the regions without affecting the rest of them. Which adaptations should/shouldn't be used should be dependent on the respective region's community. I was hoping to answer that question for our community with this thread, but we don't have very many voices, for either side.

    I understand that MMOs stop focusing on beginner content after a couple years. They have to have a way to keep the Veterans, and give them something to look forward too. But that's the purpose of expansions, increasing level cap, and adding new content to the end, like Raids and tiers of gear. I don't think there's any reason at all to go back and change what was already there and in place, and buff exp gains so that even new players wind up in the new expansion before they've gotten to have the experience of the original content. The original content was what was good enough to get your players in the first place. Leave it alone to keep getting new players. Let them have the same chance to enjoy the same game the same way as Vets. The only editing it should need is patches to fix bugs or balance issues. Maybe graphics updates a couple years down the road. That kinda thing. They don't need to change or sacrifice the base game to keep adding to the end and keep Vets happy.

    At this point in my post, I'm still mostly opinionated vs your post, and trying to get you to share some good logic behind your thoughts as to why we should or should not be making the suggested changes, or what other changes might need to be made. Either we are going to find a middle point to agree on, or one of us will "educate"(?) the other enough to make a believer of them. I don't care which way it turns out, as long as we agree on what we think is best for Tera. Still praying we get enough voices for BHS/EME to check out what we have to say, and at least consider what they read. I add this hear, because after this point of replies to your post, the tone of your post changes, and I'm intrigued by what you have to say.

    "I honestly don't think the game has a issue besides conveying how actually play and how roles work, all that was removed as tera changed over the years for what ever reason. Console Tera feels like a wasteland with everyone just doing their own thing with zero direction. Anything post 410 gear score is a absolute nightmare without a team of people you know communicating."

    I agree that this is the largest issue. My suggestions thus far have been intended to help correct this. Slow things down, remove Vanguard Pre-60, stick rewards/exp in Side Missions, and hell, start sticking some class mechanics or guides or something into the Side Missions, maybe as the goal to complete them. Give them the time and ability to learn what they're doing, before they're 65 and suddenly have nothing to do but Raid on a toon they don't understand. I think our conversation could have been miles ahead by now if you had stated this earlier, as that's kinda the point/issue I've been looking at options to fix. I was under the impression my suggestions would land Tera in a similar spot to the original greatness, without impeding on, or affecting, all the work they've put into 65 content. Since you seem to think my suggestions wouldn't serve as a "revert", what would you change to make it into one? They way you lay it out, Tera did have the (imo) "picture perfect" setup originally, so what therein is different? If you can explain how it was and how to get back to it, it may completely negate a lot of what I was thinking. Well, not negate exactly, but solve the issues we wanted to solve.

    I completly agree a million percent that a PvP server should be PvP EVERyWHERE, except the tutorial zone, and inside major cities like Velika. But as soon as you leave the "safe zones" you're exploring at your own risk. I've spent the last 10 years as a gamer under the impression that that was the difference between a PvP and PvE server, for any game. It really bothers me that they changed this. A huge part of the reason to join a guild early and make some friends was for the protection of a group. People that don't want to have to worry about that play on PvE, and do Battlegrounds or other PvP arenas to scratch that itch. But it lead to more people working together for the strength in numbers concept, and help pull the entire community together as a result.

    So pay attention, EME. The .000001% of the community that's involved in our discussion already unanimously agrees on a PvP Server Revert to being a PvP Server again.

    I can not comment on whether or not Servers should merge. That's easy enough on PC when everyone is pushing hardware designed and perfected since the release of WoW (or before) to handle mass amounts of players and data. Consoles just can't handle the same population per server. They had to nearly quadruple the original number of channels on a server from the Technical Test to handle just the TT'ers. If you asked me what the population of all the Console Servers are, how many channels there are, how many are actually needed, or any related questions, my answer is easily, "yellow".

    To the best of my knowledge, the above is the reason for no cross-platform. A PC server might handle 12,000 people, and a Console only 1,200. If they shared, you'd have to severly limit the PC population per server, requiring many more servers. There's probably more to it than that, but I can't even pretend to know what I'm talking about there. That's just what seems to be surface-level knowledge to me.
  • I want to respond, I really do.

    With the game being over 6 years old, i think it's safe to say the beginning and old endgame are more than likely a afterthought as they toss out other things. Every MMO after a while glosses over it's old content in favor of the new so i can't truly say they would care about how fast people level 1 - 60 or even 1 - 65. The game is new to Console sure but since they just copying things over in chunks it would more or less end up the same, fly to 65 and grind.

    I wouldn't say they were detrimental to players, it helped when people were stuck on servers with Tera-level population. WoW at it's best had 18 million people and now it's down to somewhere a bit under 5 million. The queues helped those diehards and people trying it out being able to find dungeons and get content going otherwise it would be ghost town central like it is for Tera on console when you get past 410 content and queues become non existent. There are tons of Private servers for the game all at specific patch points that people want. RaidenWoW was WoTLK and was shut down when it got too big, and thus those who wanted a progression vanilla server that was on Nostarius when it got massive exposure the same as such C&D from blizzard.

    The reason i bring up the design of Tera is because it was only bought to the US/EU when numbers died down in Korea and they wanted to capitalize on the market since it got to release with nothing stopping it even though it went F2P within the year it got republished. Everything is just a port over so we aren't a big selling point. It's like Elin, they are super beyond popular on KTera so they end up getting special cosmetics and new classes all the time.

    I may seem "jaded" for all it's worth but if you look at the other forums they archived, people have bought up issues and things they wanted and tried to champion causes for years and it was all for naught. I honestly think Tera releasing on Console is only because it's the "popular" thing to do for F2P games nowadays.

    Okay, I can speak on the server merge definitely. What happens is the game already has automatic Channels, if one gets too full it just created more and phases people over and as an area gets less populated it removes channels and even will give you a message to join a more populated channel.

    PC Server handling v Console server handling shouldn't be a issue as FFXIV is on the same servers and has eons more players in than Tera and in one location. and Planetside for all it's worth also has the same and DCUO. They all share and display everyone no issue, I don't think they made any servers specifically for PS4 to only have a specific limit of people.
Sign In or Register to comment.