Are you thinking about merging servers EME ?

11214161718

Comments

  • Servers merge is never a good sign. The end of an era.
  • I'm not sure if I like the idea of server merging... last time they did it I had to delete a lot of my lvl 65 characters just to get into the game and get character slots at the last second....
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    Partyblast wrote: »
    RKC wrote: »
    Sooo what servers are you merging. This better not mess up my 13 toons or I will quit this game.

    There are currently 20 available slots, 21 once Elin Brawler releases, you have no reason to worry about 13 characters unless they have a common name and you don't play as often as someone else. Really the only people who should worry are those who have 18+ characters per server.....they're going to have to downsize a bit but they at least have a few months to do so.

    those dudes has paid their character slot, so what you say it is they will lost real $$$$, if this infos are true and spread in mmo community or worst video game community, well i will not give 6 months after server merge to see a big drop of our pop, because new player will avoid to come to tera because that
  • DvsvDvsv ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Lol, so in the end everything went exactly as i said here ~18 month ago when i was active and bothered with this game..
    And hail for steam charts, cuz it`s prob a lot more like what`s happening with Tera`s playerbase than people give credit for.. ;)
    Anyway, i was all for a server merger long ago but tbh now i think it`s too late and this will not help much with Tera`s players retention problems (i.e: core game design issues).
  • voidy wrote: »
    Pages wrote: »
    ElinLove wrote: »
    News this fall eh? As long as the issues are solved, then I'm fine with it. AS LONG AS.

    They won't be. Server merges solve 0 issues and create infinite.

    Not even just talking about "muh names" but rather the fact that it doesn't increase player retention (as evidenced by Fey Forest) and just makes the game look even more dead when there's 3 servers that struggle to fill as opposed to 5.

    There were a lot of possible solutions and this was the worst one. You can't indefinitely merge servers. Eventually you only have 1 server left, and if that one dies, the game is in maintenance mode.

    I do agree that Tera has a lot of things that stop people from playing, but the whole Fey Forest merge only failed because it was EME merging multiple dead servers after people bled out when the steam release hype died down. Merge multiple dead servers and you get one megadeadserver.

    As for player retention, I'd say in this case a server merge would help quite a bit. People leave a multiplayer game when it feels dead. Some server transfer, but most leave. They stay when it feels alive and has people for them to play with. Merging everyone into one or two servers would cover all of the population complaints discussed in this thread and would drive people to play more because they finally feel like their feedback is heard and it's been addressed in a way that covers their concerns. Hell, I know some people who would come back because of something like this. For actual examples of it working in other games, just look at games like BDO, where the megaserver setup makes the game feel super packed, even as the game empties out because of its own separate management issues.

    >Eventually you only have 1 server left, and if that one dies, the game is in maintenance mode
    Game's already in decline except for one (maybe two) thriving server, so I don't see your point here. There's really no point in having a bunch of dead "backup" worlds. If the game dies when everyone's merged into one server, you can bet it would've happened even faster if people were spread out among 5.

    >There were a lot of possible solutions
    Like what? A shared LFG? A shared brokerage? At that point, you might as well merge the servers anyway.

    KitTeaCup wrote: »

    Thank you for starting on this; it's something most people have wanted for a long time.

    So, if we're talking dead servers, and they plan to merge the dead servers, we're just going to get mega dead servers, right? I mean, you said it yourself, so all this will do is cost some/a lot of players a lot of money for no net gain. Guess it'll be a done deal soon enough, so it's a good thing I put my wallet away before I got too heavily invested, and now I know there's no reason to get heavily invested.
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    voidy wrote: »
    Pages wrote: »
    ElinLove wrote: »
    News this fall eh? As long as the issues are solved, then I'm fine with it. AS LONG AS.

    They won't be. Server merges solve 0 issues and create infinite.

    Not even just talking about "muh names" but rather the fact that it doesn't increase player retention (as evidenced by Fey Forest) and just makes the game look even more dead when there's 3 servers that struggle to fill as opposed to 5.

    There were a lot of possible solutions and this was the worst one. You can't indefinitely merge servers. Eventually you only have 1 server left, and if that one dies, the game is in maintenance mode.

    I do agree that Tera has a lot of things that stop people from playing, but the whole Fey Forest merge only failed because it was EME merging multiple dead servers after people bled out when the steam release hype died down. Merge multiple dead servers and you get one megadeadserver.

    As for player retention, I'd say in this case a server merge would help quite a bit. People leave a multiplayer game when it feels dead. Some server transfer, but most leave. They stay when it feels alive and has people for them to play with. Merging everyone into one or two servers would cover all of the population complaints discussed in this thread and would drive people to play more because they finally feel like their feedback is heard and it's been addressed in a way that covers their concerns. Hell, I know some people who would come back because of something like this. For actual examples of it working in other games, just look at games like BDO, where the megaserver setup makes the game feel super packed, even as the game empties out because of its own separate management issues.

    >Eventually you only have 1 server left, and if that one dies, the game is in maintenance mode
    Game's already in decline except for one (maybe two) thriving server, so I don't see your point here. There's really no point in having a bunch of dead "backup" worlds. If the game dies when everyone's merged into one server, you can bet it would've happened even faster if people were spread out among 5.

    >There were a lot of possible solutions
    Like what? A shared LFG? A shared brokerage? At that point, you might as well merge the servers anyway.

    KitTeaCup wrote: »

    Thank you for starting on this; it's something most people have wanted for a long time.

    So, if we're talking dead servers, and they plan to merge the dead servers, we're just going to get mega dead servers, right? I mean, you said it yourself, so all this will do is cost some/a lot of players a lot of money for no net gain. Guess it'll be a done deal soon enough, so it's a good thing I put my wallet away before I got too heavily invested, and now I know there's no reason to get heavily invested.

    i feel like this will be the last server merge and if it doesn't work, then I feel like the game will shut down. it says a lot when steam didn't last long, and now console hasn't been out very long and already having a server merge. I really hope that bhs/eme does something else to help bring in and keep players along with the server merges, and hopefully they do right by the players and not make us lose our items and characters.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    even on discord there are enough saying no as well , oh well that seems to be it GG

    so @KitTeaCup in your listening to the people are you going to address the problem with what cash purchases people will loose in doing this and how will we be compensated for these losses ?
  • I agree completely. If they don't then they might as well rename the cash shop to the rent shop since they can just repo stuff anytime regardless of real $$ being spent.
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    tisnotme wrote: »
    even on discord there are enough saying no as well , oh well that seems to be it GG

    so @KitTeaCup in your listening to the people are you going to address the problem with what cash purchases people will loose in doing this and how will we be compensated for these losses ?

    im waiting to hear what she has to say about that as well. probably wont hear anything regarding it until it happens or like a few days before time. my purse will remain closed until I know something. im also wondering if the character limit will be raised and if we can move all or our characters there or will we have to buy slots again and/or delete the excess.
  • Hopefully the support and tech staff got their vacation time in because i foresee a mountain of tickets and complaints heading their way when the merge happens.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    tisnotme wrote: »
    even on discord there are enough saying no as well , oh well that seems to be it GG

    so @KitTeaCup in your listening to the people are you going to address the problem with what cash purchases people will loose in doing this and how will we be compensated for these losses ?

    im waiting to hear what she has to say about that as well. probably wont hear anything regarding it until it happens or like a few days before time. my purse will remain closed until I know something. im also wondering if the character limit will be raised and if we can move all or our characters there or will we have to buy slots again and/or delete the excess.

    I even have unused character and bank slots and skins unused currently in my item claim that will probably end up unusable with this venture
    and if we all have things like this and try to broker them there will be no value there either just a flooded market , just another way to screw them that spend on the game
    Routiere wrote: »
    Hopefully the support and tech staff got their vacation time in because i foresee a mountain of tickets and complaints heading their way when the merge happens.

    wont be any tickets if no ones around to complain and plenty of time to vacation ~ permanently
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    voidy wrote: »
    Pages wrote: »
    ElinLove wrote: »
    News this fall eh? As long as the issues are solved, then I'm fine with it. AS LONG AS.

    They won't be. Server merges solve 0 issues and create infinite.

    Not even just talking about "muh names" but rather the fact that it doesn't increase player retention (as evidenced by Fey Forest) and just makes the game look even more dead when there's 3 servers that struggle to fill as opposed to 5.

    There were a lot of possible solutions and this was the worst one. You can't indefinitely merge servers. Eventually you only have 1 server left, and if that one dies, the game is in maintenance mode.

    I do agree that Tera has a lot of things that stop people from playing, but the whole Fey Forest merge only failed because it was EME merging multiple dead servers after people bled out when the steam release hype died down. Merge multiple dead servers and you get one megadeadserver.

    As for player retention, I'd say in this case a server merge would help quite a bit. People leave a multiplayer game when it feels dead. Some server transfer, but most leave. They stay when it feels alive and has people for them to play with. Merging everyone into one or two servers would cover all of the population complaints discussed in this thread and would drive people to play more because they finally feel like their feedback is heard and it's been addressed in a way that covers their concerns. Hell, I know some people who would come back because of something like this. For actual examples of it working in other games, just look at games like BDO, where the megaserver setup makes the game feel super packed, even as the game empties out because of its own separate management issues.

    >Eventually you only have 1 server left, and if that one dies, the game is in maintenance mode
    Game's already in decline except for one (maybe two) thriving server, so I don't see your point here. There's really no point in having a bunch of dead "backup" worlds. If the game dies when everyone's merged into one server, you can bet it would've happened even faster if people were spread out among 5.

    >There were a lot of possible solutions
    Like what? A shared LFG? A shared brokerage? At that point, you might as well merge the servers anyway.

    KitTeaCup wrote: »

    Thank you for starting on this; it's something most people have wanted for a long time.

    So, if we're talking dead servers, and they plan to merge the dead servers, we're just going to get mega dead servers, right? I mean, you said it yourself, so all this will do is cost some/a lot of players a lot of money for no net gain. Guess it'll be a done deal soon enough, so it's a good thing I put my wallet away before I got too heavily invested, and now I know there's no reason to get heavily invested.

    We don't know what they're planning to merge yet, since they haven't released that information yet. I'd assume they'd condense everything down to 2 megaservers, 1 pve and 1 pvp, but again, I have no way of knowing. But yeah, obviously if all they do is merge FF/AV/CH, it'll be a disaster. My post obviously assumes that they aren't going to do something that stupid.
  • close this thread please @KitTeaCup @CobaltDragon
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    .
    voidy wrote: »
    voidy wrote: »
    Pages wrote: »
    ElinLove wrote: »
    News this fall eh? As long as the issues are solved, then I'm fine with it. AS LONG AS.

    They won't be. Server merges solve 0 issues and create infinite.

    Not even just talking about "muh names" but rather the fact that it doesn't increase player retention (as evidenced by Fey Forest) and just makes the game look even more dead when there's 3 servers that struggle to fill as opposed to 5.

    There were a lot of possible solutions and this was the worst one. You can't indefinitely merge servers. Eventually you only have 1 server left, and if that one dies, the game is in maintenance mode.

    I do agree that Tera has a lot of things that stop people from playing, but the whole Fey Forest merge only failed because it was EME merging multiple dead servers after people bled out when the steam release hype died down. Merge multiple dead servers and you get one megadeadserver.

    As for player retention, I'd say in this case a server merge would help quite a bit. People leave a multiplayer game when it feels dead. Some server transfer, but most leave. They stay when it feels alive and has people for them to play with. Merging everyone into one or two servers would cover all of the population complaints discussed in this thread and would drive people to play more because they finally feel like their feedback is heard and it's been addressed in a way that covers their concerns. Hell, I know some people who would come back because of something like this. For actual examples of it working in other games, just look at games like BDO, where the megaserver setup makes the game feel super packed, even as the game empties out because of its own separate management issues.

    >Eventually you only have 1 server left, and if that one dies, the game is in maintenance mode
    Game's already in decline except for one (maybe two) thriving server, so I don't see your point here. There's really no point in having a bunch of dead "backup" worlds. If the game dies when everyone's merged into one server, you can bet it would've happened even faster if people were spread out among 5.

    >There were a lot of possible solutions
    Like what? A shared LFG? A shared brokerage? At that point, you might as well merge the servers anyway.

    KitTeaCup wrote: »

    Thank you for starting on this; it's something most people have wanted for a long time.

    So, if we're talking dead servers, and they plan to merge the dead servers, we're just going to get mega dead servers, right? I mean, you said it yourself, so all this will do is cost some/a lot of players a lot of money for no net gain. Guess it'll be a done deal soon enough, so it's a good thing I put my wallet away before I got too heavily invested, and now I know there's no reason to get heavily invested.

    We don't know what they're planning to merge yet, since they haven't released that information yet. I'd assume they'd condense everything down to 2 megaservers, 1 pve and 1 pvp, but again, I have no way of knowing. But yeah, obviously if all they do is merge FF/AV/CH, it'll be a disaster. My post obviously assumes that they aren't going to do something that stupid.

    They already did something similar with HW, LoT and VoT. I don't think they have learned their lesson.

    Anyway, nothing worse than the incompetent team did back on 2012 when they had to merge 11 servers into 3 with only 4 months with the game released to the public. And later with They had to Merge servers that were created "because of Steam" because that incompetent team didt take action on time to avoid a massive loss of players in only 3 months.
  • Another server merge? Good thing I have lots of characters on every server already............. :/
Sign In or Register to comment.