Are you thinking about merging servers EME ?

1121314151618»

Comments

• allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    they could merge all the servers into 1 server, and it would still fail if they don't fix why people are leaving the game in the first place. it also didn't help that they didn't block new characters being made in the more popular servers so that the lesser populated ones could grow, and this goes back before the lot merges. they should have paid attention to their game and done something about it years ago, but they didn't. merging 3 dead servers into 1 only made a big dead server with name and character limit problems. im hoping they will learn from their past mistakes, but their history shows that they never do.
    they claim that they listened to the players and decided to merge the servers for them, so hopefully they will listen to us and do right with the mergers or they will need to just go ahead and make that 1 big mega server cause so many will leave again and take their money with them.
  • they could merge all the servers into 1 server, and it would still fail if they don't fix why people are leaving the game in the first place. it also didn't help that they didn't block new characters being made in the more popular servers so that the lesser populated ones could grow, and this goes back before the lot merges. they should have paid attention to their game and done something about it years ago, but they didn't. merging 3 dead servers into 1 only made a big dead server with name and character limit problems. im hoping they will learn from their past mistakes, but their history shows that they never do.
    they claim that they listened to the players and decided to merge the servers for them, so hopefully they will listen to us and do right with the mergers or they will need to just go ahead and make that 1 big mega server cause so many will leave again and take their money with them.

Because that doesn't work. If I'm joining a game to play with friends, and they're on a locked server, I'll just let 'em know I can't play, and go back to what I was playing before, or find the next new one, to me, anyway. I've been on both sides of this, with friends that couldn't roll on my server, and where I couldn't roll on a server. The end result was the same, no new player(s), and the loss of one, where my friends couldn't join me, we went to another game, and played there.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    they could merge all the servers into 1 server, and it would still fail if they don't fix why people are leaving the game in the first place. it also didn't help that they didn't block new characters being made in the more popular servers so that the lesser populated ones could grow, and this goes back before the lot merges. they should have paid attention to their game and done something about it years ago, but they didn't. merging 3 dead servers into 1 only made a big dead server with name and character limit problems. im hoping they will learn from their past mistakes, but their history shows that they never do.

Because that doesn't work. If I'm joining a game to play with friends, and they're on a locked server, I'll just let 'em know I can't play, and go back to what I was playing before, or find the next new one, to me, anyway. I've been on both sides of this, with friends that couldn't roll on my server, and where I couldn't roll on a server. The end result was the same, no new player(s), and the loss of one, where my friends couldn't join me, we went to another game, and played there.

I'm on your side on character creation lockout from populated servers.
    Players may not necessarily create on another available one, even if they didn't know anyone beforehand, they might as well just not create at all. Specially as you mentioned about playing with friends, say your friend was already on a populated server and you came later. Sucks to be you, no way to play together. Your choice? Not playing at all. At least I would likely do this.

One thing I've learned (and any long time player likely as well) is that the game is very seasonal with "come and go" players all the time, so it's normal to have a sawtooth like graphic to the population. Whoever if the population doesn't come back as much as it left, or the new player count ain't compensating the leaving ones then yeah, we get where we are.

One thing that I would consider a lot on TERA's player retention, is making the game attractive to come back, not just to stay. People can get burned out of something for doing it for too long, but giving people reasons to do it whenever and coming back easily without feeling like they are lost or have to invest too much into getting back on track, is what I would bet the most.
    Just really keep the seasonal and newcomer-friendly aspect (frankly, TERA IS newcomer friendly as heck) and build upon it, yeah give reasons to stay, but more than that, give reasons to come back.
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope we get a better deal than the console players get with the server merge. with them, if you have 16 on one server and 10 on another, when its all merged together, you only have 16 slots on the new server. they are getting 5 free character slots if they log in before time, but that means they will be having to delete some or have to buy more slots.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    That's what they did with us in the last merge , only got the max you had on one of the servers that were merged
  • EllexemEllexem ✭✭✭
    Some perhaps slightly more radical ideas for what they could do to resolve the issue of too many characters:
    • Introduce an account wide cap on entries and vanguard requests, set to whatever they feel comfortable with, so they don't have to worry about removing the cap on characters. Have however many you want, but you won't be using all of them to farm. Thus, given how many of the recent changes seem overly concerned with tightly controlling the ability to farm things, they can more directly control this aspect as well. (If they, say, just add the account max to the entry limit list for all things individually, they can even have this vary. Like say only doing Ghillieglade on one character but being able to run other things on more, for the sake of an example.) If all you want to do is just stand around looking pretty, no impact at all for you.
    • Introduce a new type of character slot, the storage slot. (In many ways a bank for characters, if you will.) This can be an item you can buy, thus if you want to try something new, but are at the cap of active characters, you can get a storage slot instead and just put one into storage. By making this an actual item, they can have it be something that everyone can acquire, so handing them out only to those who currently have too many character in a post-merge isn't unfair to anyone. Just auto-grant enough of those to anyone above the active cap. Bonus for them, if they feel that we already have too many active characters, then they could cut back on the active number this way, setting it even below the 20 that it is now.
  • RKCRKC ✭✭✭
    I have questions here. I have 13 toons. I have every class + 2 brawlers.

I play them all in rotation but recently Ive been playing my character that has awakening skills. Whats left is that the remaining ones are put on hold till awakening meaning I havent played them in months now.

Am I at risk of getting my remaining toons name stolen from me?
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope we get a better deal than the console players get with the server merge. with them, if you have 16 on one server and 10 on another, when its all merged together, you only have 16 slots on the new server. they are getting 5 free character slots if they log in before time, but that means they will be having to delete some or have to buy more slots.

yohooo they went with the middle finger up your sphincter option, just like FF.

How predictable....
  • edited August 2018
    ElinLove wrote: »

How predictable....

Have they actually said anything yet about the details about the PC merger and name release? There's information about console, but AFAIK the information on PC is still TBD. At least I haven't seen anything posted anywhere yet.

On console, that approach makes more sense because the game really hasn't been out that long (less than 6 months), and the amount of people who exceed the cap on console will be exceptionally small. So in that case, the 5 extra slots will probably be enough for 99.9%+ of the cases. (People having maxed out characters slots on multiple servers on console is much more rare, keeping in mind that their Founders didn't bump you up to 8 slots the way ours did.) The amount of cash shop items invested will also be much less, given the less time. They also don't have all the added classes yet either that gave free slots (just the one).

Obviously, PC, though, is a totally different story, and that's why I want to keep pushing for them to do something different.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭

How predictable....

Have they actually said anything yet about the details about the PC merger and name release? There's information about console, but AFAIK the information on PC is still TBD. At least I haven't seen anything posted anywhere yet.

On console, that approach makes more sense because the game really hasn't been out that long (less than 6 months), and the amount of people who exceed the cap on console will be exceptionally small. So in that case, the 5 extra slots will probably be enough for 99.9%+ of the cases. (People having maxed out characters slots on multiple servers on console is much more rare, keeping in mind that their Founders didn't bump you up to 8 slots the way ours did.) The amount of cash shop items invested will also be much less, given the less time. They also don't have all the added classes yet either that gave free slots (just the one).

Obviously, PC, though, is a totally different story, and that's why I want to keep pushing for them to do something different.

Yeah, it's console. I still have that slight bit of hope they just shaft the console players and not us as well. But really, do you, sincerely, bet that they'll do 2 different approaches to the same issue? You think sincerely that the console players won't nag and throw a fit if they're getting a worse deal?
    My hope still lives, but... very faintly. Specially given it's already something they've done once.
  • edited August 2018

How predictable....

Yeah, it's console. I still have that slight bit of hope they just shaft the console players and not us as well. But really, do you, sincerely, bet that they'll do 2 different approaches to the same issue? You think sincerely that the console players won't nag and throw a fit if they're getting a worse deal?
    My hope still lives, but... very faintly. Specially given it's already something they've done once.

It does say in the news post "(The policies for PC may be different than for consoles.)" so at least there is some hope. I'm not too worried about Console players being "jealous" because most of them won't be adversely impacted anyway, and it's totally different merging for a 6-year-old game than for a 6-month-old game (which we *also* did back near the original launch). And heck, they were already jealous that we had the Founders Pack the way we did, and that is a big part of what plays into this issue. (Everyone who started back then had 8 slots, not just 2.) So yeah... I too have *some* hope.