Are you thinking about merging servers EME ?

Comments

• voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    >Support the game
    [filtered] off, we'd support the game if AT LEAST the publisher gave a [filtered] about the playerbase, BHS obviously doesn't care about anyone outside of KR so they're just irrelevant at this point, there's no reason to support the game when the publisher is like EME. People aren't asking for free server transfers though, we're asking for a merge of the dead servers so we have 2 or 3 servers at most, so server transfers will still exist, EME can still make money off of it, but this way the servers won't look so [filtered] empty

first off, you don't need to curse at me when I never cursed at you.

You did call him and everyone like him (i.e. people on dead servers who just want to play with other people in an mmo) a tightwad and a freeloader though. You were also preachy and dismissive towards players looking to do group content, which is ironic since you've said many times here that you don't even do most of the group content in this game. So don't play the victim when you're met with hostility after making massive sweeping generalizations about people that aren't even correct, in a thread about an issue that barely affects you.

I supported this game a ton. Elite for years, bought costumes in the store, even world transferred a bit at some points. Now I can barely even enjoy the game because there's nobody here. I could buy a world transfer to TR, but my guild and my friends and all my stuff are on CH. I also don't want to pay EME to fix a problem that they've created and sustaianed. All EME has to do is something. Doesn't even have to be a merge if they're just not allowed to for some reason. They could block off world transfers to MT/TR to stop people from moving there all the time. They don't. They could create incentives to come to the deader worlds. They don't. They could reply to a thread about these issues explaining why they can't do anything about this issue to stop people from making threads every month, instead of calling their players liars. They don't. Telling people "just buy a server transfer, don't be cheap" just rewards EME's inaction by giving money to a problem that they've done nothing to try and fix. If anything, people should just quit if they don't like the way things are. Maybe when there's literally nobody left, EME will finally be forced to acknowledge what their players have been telling them all along.
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    people that play solo are not stupid. we just have a different playstyle than the rest. games are made to be fun and for passing the time. im all for 3 servers idea, 1 pvp, 1 pve, and 1 rp server. also if they let you unbind costumes and such, it wouldn't be too bad. before, they didn't give us that option. bad thing is, eme wont do that. it would be just like it was when they merged servers and we lost items, names, and characters.
    but I stand by what I said before. many of the people demanding a server merge are too cheap to pay for a server transfer. if people get offended by that, then they are more than likely one of the ones that are too cheap to buy one.
    no one made any of us choose the server we are all currently playing on. we chose them ourselves. people don't mind spending real money on cosmetics, but suggest that they pay to move to a different server besides the one they chose in the first place, then people act like you crapped in their happy meal.
  • seraphinushseraphinush ✭✭✭✭
    Someone should do a pros and cons of server merge
  • DL7MMWLJ3WDL7MMWLJ3W ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

You seem to be new to TERA forums unless you are ignorant to see how this forum always handles.

So here's a pro and con to making "any" suggestion on this board.

Pros
    1. Someone making or attempting a suggestion to make the game better and perhaps fun.

Cons
    2. EME/BHS has no responsibility or care to do it and thread becomes a bait where two people ends up "quote" battling each other to death until one of them admit defeat because of the support from other people joining in or until thread gets closed because topic went astrayed.

Well my fourth of july vacation is over so running through this forum to see that nothing has changed for the better is still happening. Guess I'll check back on my vacation in December to see what else is going on and to see if that one person is still whiteknighting EME without getting paid. *cough* japanesebunny.
  • edited July 2018

Problem is that we don't have all the data necessary to do the analysis, such as a) actually how many active users are on each server (MAU/CCU), b) what is the peak CCU that accompanies a major update (such as a new class, etc.), c) what is the maximum capacity of each server before it causes performance issues.

From the data we can have, you can only do something like this:

Pros:
    - Greater ability to find other players to complete end-game content (guilds, statics, LFG)
    - Greater supply of items for trade, which could help regulate prices for rarer items
    - Increased activity in chat and player presence in major cities, making the game feel more alive
    - Improved player retention among those who cite the servers being "dead" as a reason for quitting
    - Less desire to transfer servers, encouraging players to "bloom where they're planted" (forging longer-term relationships in game)
    - We won't keep having a "please merge the servers" thread on the forum every month. :p

Cons:
    - Customers whose merged character counts exceed the per-server limit have to delete characters and lose any bound equipment or cash shop cosmetics
    - Complications related to naming conflicts (what criteria to use, how to address conflicts)
    - Potential loss of unique/distinct server identifies/communities, such as elimination of the Roleplay server
    - Bad "PR Perception" of a server merger (public admission that the game is shrinking rather than growing or staying stable)
    - EME time/cost to develop/test merger procedures/scripts (which could conflict with already-committed projects)
    - EME time/cost to develop/implement communication strategy that provides clear direction to all players impacted
    - Increased ticket load for customer support for merger-related questions and post-merger issues/complaints

(I would not list "loss of server transfer revenue" as a con because the reality is that, in a F2P game, a far larger number of people will just quit the game rather than paying up, which has a much more serious consequence than any potential lost revenue.)

Unknown:
    - How many servers are required to handle the current and expected peak capacity?
    - Are any other developments in the works by BHS (such as cross-server LFG) that may help to mitigate some of the problematic symptoms?

Problem is that we don't have all the data necessary to do the analysis, such as a) actually how many active users are on each server (MAU/CCU), b) what is the peak CCU that accompanies a major update (such as a new class, etc.), c) what is the maximum capacity of each server before it causes performance issues.

From the data we can have, you can only do something like this:

Pros:
    - Greater ability to find other players to complete end-game content (guilds, statics, LFG)
    - Greater supply of items for trade, which could help regulate prices for rarer items
    - Increased activity in chat and player presence in major cities, making the game feel more alive
    - Improved player retention among those who cite the servers being "dead" as a reason for quitting
    - Less desire to transfer servers, encouraging players to "bloom where they're planted" (forging longer-term relationships in game)
    - We won't keep having a "please merge the servers" thread on the forum every month. :p

Cons:
    - Customers whose merged character counts exceed the per-server limit have to delete characters and lose any bound equipment or cash shop cosmetics
    - Complications related to naming conflicts (what criteria to use, how to address conflicts)
    - Potential loss of unique/distinct server identifies/communities, such as elimination of the Roleplay server
    - Bad "PR Perception" of a server merger (public admission that the game is shrinking rather than growing or staying stable)
    - EME time/cost to develop/test merger procedures/scripts (which could conflict with already-committed projects)
    - EME time/cost to develop/implement communication strategy that provides clear direction to all players impacted
    - Increased ticket load for customer support for merger-related questions and post-merger issues/complaints

(I would not list "loss of server transfer revenue" as a con because the reality is that, in a F2P game, a far larger number of people will just quit the game rather than paying up, which has a much more serious consequence than any potential lost revenue.)

Unknown:
    - How many servers are required to handle the current and expected peak capacity?
    - Are any other developments in the works by BHS (such as cross-server LFG) that may help to mitigate some of the problematic symptoms?

great points. the last thing you mentioned about other developments in the works, bad thing is eme staff wont let us know anything or pass on any information, so we are left speculating and arguing amongst ourselves.
  • ReChoaReChoa ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    people that play solo are not stupid. we just have a different playstyle than the rest. games are made to be fun and for passing the time. im all for 3 servers idea, 1 pvp, 1 pve, and 1 rp server. also if they let you unbind costumes and such, it wouldn't be too bad. before, they didn't give us that option. bad thing is, eme wont do that. it would be just like it was when they merged servers and we lost items, names, and characters.
    MMOs are made to be played with others, it's part of the name y'know, "Massively Multiplayer Online game", theres much better games to pass time on as a solo player, but hey, whatever floats your boat, I don't care if you decide to play an mmo by yourself for whatever reason, just don't go posting in threads about bettering the game when you don't even play most of the game. If they screw up with a server merge again, it's just gonna end up just as poorly for them as it would if they don't do a server merge, they'll lose players. They just have to not be absolutely [filtered] for once.
    but I stand by what I said before. many of the people demanding a server merge are too cheap to pay for a server transfer. if people get offended by that, then they are more than likely one of the ones that are too cheap to buy one.
    no one made any of us choose the server we are all currently playing on. we chose them ourselves. people don't mind spending real money on cosmetics, but suggest that they pay to move to a different server besides the one they chose in the first place, then people act like you crapped in their happy meal.

I've already bought one server merge, with real money even, never doing it again as theres no reason to support a company like this and I have friends on this server, the reason people don't wanna transfer servers is cause you lose a lot of relationships doing that, anyone that doesn't play solo(which is surprisingly a large portion of the community on an MMO) is going to likely make friends and join a guild, transferring servers means leaving all of them behind, so no, that's not a legitimate argument you [filtered] dumbass, you're just continuing to make mass generalizations after Voidy pointed it out m8.
    F7dkNSn.png

Cons:

I'll agree with the rest but, for the first, the RP server has nothing unique to it besides the fact that people RP in it, and I doubt that would change if there was a merge, if EME wanted to they could just list one server as PvE/RP as there's no difference other major differences between the two servers. I'm sure they get enough bad PR with all these threads in the forums + videos in others places, and I'm pretty sure this games doing better in KR despite them having only 2 servers there. They're already absolutely terrible with tickets so it's not like it can be that much worse tbh.
  • edited July 2018
    ReChoa wrote: »
    I'll agree with the rest but, for the first, the RP server has nothing unique to it besides the fact that people RP in it, and I doubt that would change if there was a merge, if EME wanted to they could just list one server as PvE/RP as there's no difference other major differences between the two servers. I'm sure they get enough bad PR with all these threads in the forums + videos in others places, and I'm pretty sure this games doing better in KR despite them having only 2 servers there. They're already absolutely terrible with tickets so it's not like it can be that much worse tbh.

To be clear, just because I put them in the "con" column doesn't mean they're deal-killers, they're just factors.

All the servers do actually have a bit of their own personality and community, even if they're not fundamentally different. For CH, for instance, it's not only a question of whether people RP in it, it's a question of the people who would choose to join a server with RP in the label. As a result, there's a noted difference in everything from the conversation topics in chat to the way things get prioritized price-wise on the market. AV and FF are not so obviously labelled, but they too have their own communities and "quirks" in my experience, partly as a result of their unique histories. I'm wouldn't say that any of this is enough to "cancel out" the pros... but it is a factor. Something will be lost in a merger... but other things will be gained as a result. Maybe something could be done to help commemorate the various retiring servers, or other initiatives be taken to help the merged servers meld together (like a guild fair or something?).

As for the bad PR, the reputation here on the forum is one thing (although honest to god, this forum has never really been a happy place over the years), but once it hits the various MMO news sites, it gets the attention of people who may have played TERA a long ago and are on break (and not the people in that category still checking the forums religiously). Ideally you want any message to be more positive. Of course, there's no helping this one anyway, but again, it is a factor. At least you might want to pair the news with something else (an event? some new launch?) to encourage people to come back and stick around.

And tickets... they had some major problems keeping up for the weeks following TERA Console launch, but they seem to have more or less stabilized. On many issues response times are back down to 1-2 business days. And again, not like they can't work with that, but they will probably at least want to plan the timing so that it doesn't coincide with other anticipated busy periods (e.g. launches for other games, other scheduled changes, etc.).

Anyway, all the cons can be worked through in one way or another, they just have to be given due consideration.
    MMOs are made to be played with others, it's part of the name y'know, "Massively Multiplayer Online game", theres much better games to pass time on as a solo player, but hey, whatever floats your boat, I don't care if you decide to play an mmo by yourself for whatever reason, just don't go posting in threads about bettering the game when you don't even play most of the game. If they screw up with a server merge again, it's just gonna end up just as poorly for them as it would if they don't do a server merge, they'll lose players. They just have to not be absolutely [filtered] for once.

I've already bought one server merge, with real money even, never doing it again as theres no reason to support a company like this and I have friends on this server, the reason people don't wanna transfer servers is cause you lose a lot of relationships doing that, anyone that doesn't play solo(which is surprisingly a large portion of the community on an MMO) is going to likely make friends and join a guild, transferring servers means leaving all of them behind, so no, that's not a legitimate argument you [filtered] dumbass, you're just continuing to make mass generalizations after Voidy pointed it out m8.
    F7dkNSn.png

Cons:

I can play the game any way I want to you basement troll. I play solo cause im tired of fooling around with idiots like you. you are just too cheap to buy a server transfer, but using the whole losing relationships as an excuse.
  • ReChoaReChoa ✭✭✭
    F7dkNSn.png

I can play the game any way I want to you basement troll. I play solo cause im tired of fooling around with idiots like you. you are just too cheap to buy a server transfer, but using the whole losing relationships as an excuse.

bruh
  • I can play the game any way I want to you basement troll. I play solo cause im tired of fooling around with idiots like you. you are just too cheap to buy a server transfer, but using the whole losing relationships as an excuse.

Nobody forced you to play with others so just put the gun down and relax. What people say here is that some servers are barren and because of it, they cant run content and in return cannot progress through the game, but it seems to me that you've found a way to progress through the game without anyone's help, i'd love to hear about it so that me and others can take advantage of it. So its either your mysterious game plan or we pray for server merge or this cross-server LFG.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭

F7dkNSn.png

Cons:

Did you take a moment of your time to at least look at the picture that was linked...
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    I have friends on this server, the reason people don't wanna transfer servers is cause you lose a lot of relationships doing that, transferring servers means leaving all of them behind
    so you want to transfer but your friends don't want to !
    and you don't want to loose your friends so ~ server merge so you get to go and don't loose your friends by forcing the change on them by means of a server merge
  • ReChoaReChoa ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    @tisnotme
    > so you want to transfer but your friends don't want to !
    > and you don't want to loose your friends so ~ server merge so you get to go and don't loose your friends by forcing the change on them by means of a server merge

Good job completely misrpresenting the whole point lmao. I never said *I* want to transfer, I said I want a server merge because this server is dead because people keep transferring out of it, I'm not gonna [filtered] add to the problem, many others, including my friends, also want a server merge too. Read through the thread instead of just picking out one part of an argument and misrepresenting it.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    @tisnotme
    > so you want to transfer but your friends don't want to !
    > and you don't want to loose your friends so ~ server merge so you get to go and don't loose your friends by forcing the change on them by means of a server merge

Good job completely misrpresenting the whole point lmao. I never said *I* want to transfer, I said I want a server merge because this server is dead because people keep transferring out of it, I'm not gonna [filtered] add to the problem, many others, including my friends, also want a server merge too. Read through the thread instead of just picking out one part of an argument and misrepresenting it.

oh but I have read thru it and the others too and how every one has their reasons for it and don't care about the peoples reasons that don't want it
    this one ive seen how you complain about not being able to sell things expensive or buy them cheap on the broker
    It's not only about being able to just sell things, it's about being able to buy it too, no one wants to keep spamming "wtb x" for a week until they finally get what they need, likely for a stupidly high price
    and that there is work arounds that will be ok to implement a merge
    but again, there is workarounds to it, like letting you choose which characters to keep, letting you unbind things, giving you some time to bank everything you can
    as long as its affecting the people that dont want the merge to happen
    so I don't want it to happen but its going to be ok coz you stating an offer that I can choose what I want to loose out of what ive acquired !
    so heres a proposal so no one need buy a transfer lets have a merge and ill agree when you put the cash up to reimburse me for what ill loose in the stuff ive put in to my account as EME sure as hell wont