There will be a TERA PC Maintenance on Tuesday (8/21) from 8 A.M. - 11 A.M. PDT

Suggestions for season 2

1. Server transfer lock for 10 days
- Helps prevent weird people who transfer over to low population servers in order to get higher rank on Leaderboard
- 5 days before the the end of season, and 5 days after end of season
- If need be, make it 14 days (7/7)

2. Exclude players from Leaderboard rewards if transferred within 10-14 days
- if server transfers aren't ethical enough ($$$$), then this could be an alternative
- Similar drill, 10-14 days before the end of season
- Similar to how Civil Unrest rewards work, in order to prevent mercenary players

3. Communicate better on any season date changes early on
- Your fault eme
- Anything with rewards, people are sensitive about that
- What if the people who pay you said, "oh, we had some issues and changes in schedule so you won't be receiving your money for about 2-3 weeks" after payday
- People don't seem upset about the extension (unless weird people server transferred), more the late notice of it

- - - -
Add comments on better suggestions ! i'll edit if it sounds better than what i thought up in 15 minutes, 5 minutes actually thinking, 5 minutes looking at K TERA, and 5 minutes formatting

And remember to report exploiters ! this might be your chance to pick out those who exploited

Comments

• jongbaejongbae ✭✭✭
    3. Communicate better on any season date changes early on
    - Your fault eme
    - Anything with rewards, people are sensitive about that
    - What if the people who pay you said, "oh, we had some issues and changes in schedule so you won't be receiving your money for about 2-3 weeks" after payday
    - People don't seem upset about the extension (unless weird people server transferred), more the late notice of it

HOLY AMEN BROTHER, this needs to be seen.
  • counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10
    I don't think blocking transfers is a good idea just because it's not like the whole game is participating in this content, so trying to explain to some random person that they can't transfer for two weeks because it relates to some leaderboard contest they're not even in won't make sense to them. The second solution of making it so that you're not eligible for leaderboards unless you've been on the server for more than <x> days seems a lot more logical, since the solution is constrained to the affected area. (That said, with the upcoming server merger, this will presumably become less of a problem at some point.)

I think the issue with the season change date is probably mostly that EME didn't remember the date was shown in the client, and in all of their minds it was obvious that it happened with each update whenever that occurs (so they've known for weeks that they had until next Tuesday to address the reward/exploit issue). And then, on our side, I honestly don't think any of us even considered that they wouldn't know/realize this obvious reference was in everyone's minds. It's definitely a foolish oversight that should not happen again. I can say for sure that at least now we know that this discrepancy between the game and the patch schedule is a potential problem. (If it's not easy for them to edit the dates in the client on the fly, it would probably be better to post it somewhere obvious that they can edit.)
  • Now watch EME pretend this beautifully formatted post doesn't exist and focus more on their confessions of a priest FeelsBadMan
  • seraphinushseraphinush ✭✭✭✭
    ... The second solution of making it so that you're not eligible for leaderboards unless you've been on the server for more than <x> days seems a lot more logical, since the solution is constrained to the affected area. (That said, with the upcoming server merger, this will presumably become less of a problem at some point.)

I think the issue with the season change date is probably mostly that EME didn't remember the date was shown in the client, and in all of their minds it was obvious that it happened with each update whenever that occurs
    Yeah the 2nd option is definitely more reasonable -- which ever comes first though : end of 2nd season or the server merge. i honestly think the server merge won't be happening any time soon and the big announcement earlier this month was just bait to shut vocal players down on the issue.

And yeah oversight on EME's part. it's the difference between player and publisher really. it should have been "showcased" on twitch streams about patch notes and stuff not sure how it was handled since i don't watch the stream -- up to the CMs really
    i honestly think the server merge won't be happening any time soon and the big announcement earlier this month was just bait to shut vocal players down on the issue.
    Well, I suspect you're not exactly wrong, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it "bait." They did say that it was coming in the Fall, so it's still a few months out. I think it was mostly like, by announcing console server merges, they knew that all the PC people would be like "but what about us????" So it's kind of preventive; "before you even ask..." There's not really any other benefit to them to announcing it early except they know people have been asking for it; it actually has some downsides to announce it without a precise date, since it creates some uncertainty.

That said, based on the fact that your proposed solution would require a programming change by BHS, and the fact that it'd be too late to add something like this into next Tuesday's build, probably the only hope would be either a hotfix midstream, fix it for the third season, or something else for now.
  • seraphinushseraphinush ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10
    That said, based on the fact that your proposed solution would require a programming change by BHS, and the fact that it'd be too late to add something like this into next Tuesday's build, probably the only hope would be either a hotfix midstream, fix it for the third season, or something else for now.
    Which ever is more convenient though, and without the community flipping out again -- the first solution to shut down server transfers is something EME can do, while the 2nd solution is entirely dependent on BHS to program it into the game so at the end of the day (assuming either one of the two solutions is taken) it's up to EME to decide what to do
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think blocking transfers is a good idea just because it's not like the whole game is participating in this content, so trying to explain to some random person that they can't transfer for two weeks because it relates to some leaderboard contest they're not even in won't make sense to them. The second solution of making it so that you're not eligible for leaderboards unless you've been on the server for more than <x> days seems a lot more logical, since the solution is constrained to the affected area. (That said, with the upcoming server merger, this will presumably become less of a problem at some point.)

I think the issue with the season change date is probably mostly that EME didn't remember the date was shown in the client, and in all of their minds it was obvious that it happened with each update whenever that occurs (so they've known for weeks that they had until next Tuesday to address the reward/exploit issue). And then, on our side, I honestly don't think any of us even considered that they wouldn't know/realize this obvious reference was in everyone's minds. It's definitely a foolish oversight that should not happen again. I can say for sure that at least now we know that this discrepancy between the game and the patch schedule is a potential problem. (If it's not easy for them to edit the dates in the client on the fly, it would probably be better to post it somewhere obvious that they can edit.)

Bloking transfers is something other games do before their season ends to avoid the exploit from unethical players.
    edited August 10
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

Bloking transfers is something other games do before their season ends to avoid the exploit from unethical players.

If the whole game revolved around this competition and pretty much everyone were expected to participate, it would make sense, and everyone would understand. But as it stands... I'm just not sure. I'm just putting myself in the support shoes trying to explain to people why they deserve to be inconvenienced by something that doesn't even impact them. Anyway, at the end of the day, it's obviously EME's call. I suppose as long as it's very clearly communicated in advance what the server transfer schedule will be and is visible during the purchasing process so people don't buy, and so on.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

If the whole game revolved around this competition and pretty much everyone were expected to participate, it would make sense, and everyone would understand. But as it stands... I'm just not sure. I'm just putting myself in the support shoes trying to explain to people why they deserve to be inconvenienced by something that doesn't even impact them. Anyway, at the end of the day, it's obviously EME's call. I suppose as long as it's very clearly communicated in advance what the server transfer schedule will be and is visible during the purchasing process so people don't buy, and so on.

Well, looking at how short are the seasons in TERA maybe is not that easy as in other games where the seaon is once a year.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the issue with the season change date is probably mostly that EME didn't remember the date was shown in the client, and in all of their minds it was obvious that it happened with each update whenever that occurs (so they've known for weeks that they had until next Tuesday to address the reward/exploit issue).

Dude, are you seriously trying to rationalize this? This whole situation is so absurd and you trying to tell us eme's side of the story just makes them sound even more dumb, god. Even if we take into account that eme is so dumb and incompetent that they somehow forgot they said IN THE PATCHNOTES that the season ends at 10 A.M. PDT ON THE FINAL DAY OF THE SEASON which is obviously included somewhere (like, maybe, ingame, as it has been since leaderboards existed EVER, hello?????) they still somehow assume the date isn't shown anywhere despite them clearly referencing the date in the patch notes without ever mentioning an update or a maintenance. I repeat, no update or maint was mentioned ANYWHERE in the patch notes in order for the rankings to be reset.

So, even if we take this blunder into account, you're telling me that they still stupidly assumed rankings reset upon a new maint despite me and other players repeatedly asking them to confirm that the rankings reset on the 9th in their discord which is according to them THE BEST PLACE TO GET QUICK EME RESPONSES.
    Not one of the eme staff that skimmed over those repeated questions
    a) found something weird about people asking those questions over and over when to them it was oh so clear it resets with an update (since when has that been a thing lol?)
    b) bothered to RESPOND
    c) maybe make a forum post to address the concerns???

This is taking the "eme is bad at communication" to a whole another level, this was a straight up lie that they aren't even bothering to fix. They could roll out the rewards and ban the exploiters afterwards, they could freeze the season, they could do SOMETHING. Instead they act as if the whole thing was no big deal when people missed work, school, sleep in order to protect their ranks. The only good thing about this is that idiots that transferred to steal ranks now are at a risk of being outranked but even that is not guaranteed.

This is such a [filtered] blunder. Shame on you EME.
    edited August 10
    CornishRex wrote: »
    I think the issue with the season change date is probably mostly that EME didn't remember the date was shown in the client, and in all of their minds it was obvious that it happened with each update whenever that occurs (so they've known for weeks that they had until next Tuesday to address the reward/exploit issue).

Dude, are you seriously trying to rationalize this? This whole situation is so absurd and you trying to tell us eme's side of the story just makes them sound even more dumb, god.

No matter how near-sighted, careless, thoughtless, dumbfounding, whatever it is... I'm still pretty sure that's exactly what happened. I wasn't saying that because I thought it would make "EME look good" (I truly don't give a damn about making them look good -- this is entirely their screw-up) -- I was trying to say that because now we know where specifically to apply pressure so it doesn't happen again.

At this point, I don't think freezing at what the clock was supposed to stop at is even technically possible, and even if they rolled out the rewards, it will have changed. (Doubtful they could do a reconstruction to see what the leaderboards would have been at that point in time even if you wanted to distribute rewards by hand.) Basically, I think it's totally screwed, and yes, it is their fault. The point of this thread was "what do we do about next season" and that was the spirit of my comments. (In other words, next season and every season going forward, we have to make damn sure that if the dates shift, it's clearly communicated and adjusted so everyone knows. We are now well-aware that, for whatever reason, a shift in patch dates can cause a shift in this deadline.)

Edit:
    Incidentally, they posted this earlier, and yeah... for whatever inexcusable reason, they didn't know how the date shown in game worked until now or think to check it. There is no "rationalizing" it.
    https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/28330/leaderboard-season-1/p1
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude, are you seriously trying to rationalize this? This whole situation is so absurd and you trying to tell us eme's side of the story just makes them sound even more dumb, god.

No matter how near-sighted, careless, thoughtless, dumbfounding, whatever it is... I'm still pretty sure that's exactly what happened. I wasn't saying that because I thought it would make "EME look good" (I truly don't give a damn about making them look good -- this is entirely their screw-up) -- I was trying to say that because now we know where specifically to apply pressure so it doesn't happen again.

At this point, I don't think freezing at what the clock was supposed to stop at is even technically possible, and at this point even if they rolled out the rewards, it will have changed. Basically, it's totally screwed.

You know I wonder, why does it even have to come to this point? Why do we have to apply pressure on something eme should be fully capable of realizing and doing on their own?

These aren't even community/event related things, these are things eme is supposed to be able to handle and manage on their own, without players controlling them and watching over them at every step.

I feel like eme is a grandma with alzeheimers and players need to constantly remind them to do things right - things they used to be able to do without the players help.
  • That is becoming an increasingly accurate analogy.
    edited August 10
    I feel like eme is a grandma with alzeheimers and players need to constantly remind them to do things right - things they used to be able to do without the players help.
    I think the literal reason is: none of the current staff were working on TERA production at any time when leaderboards really mattered before. Unless I'm forgetting something, I think last time it really mattered was probably crusades and Treeshark was around then. Since then, the entire staff changed in every position (in some positions, they've changed twice).

Again, that is not an excuse or a rationalization. But I think that is why.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭
    edited August 10
    im sorry counterpoint I may disagree with some of CornishRex's opinions
    but at time passes it constantly feels more like
    none of the current staff are working on TERA
    and thus have lost touch with it completely
    Simpson%2BControl%2BPanel.jpg