[TERA PC] Summersilk season is here! Pick up Summersilk Robes in the TERA store until August 3. Plus, earn a free Summersilk Robe in our leveling event: https://bit.ly/TERA_summersilk
[TERA Console] To celebrate the launch of the Awakening update, participate in the Awakening Leveling Event! Details: https://bit.ly/awkn_events
[TERA Console] Server maintenance to deploy the v84.03 hotfix is scheduled for 7~11 p.m. PT on Monday, July 13, 2020. This hotfix should improve upon issues with frequent crashes and blue screens. Patch notes: https://bit.ly/v84_03_patch

Weird question related to server merge and character names

So, from what I read in the FAQ, the character who has more playtime keeps their name.

Let's say I've been saving a character with a name I want to change to sometime that is already used in the other server and I keep the name because of playtime. Since I need to delete characters (and rename some others) for the new server, will I be able to delete the character who has the name I want and still be able to use it in one of my characters as if it wasn't used even if the other person didn't rename their character with the same name as mine yet? or when I delete it they'll get the name automatically?
I'm just worried I've been saving this character name to just lose it in the last second lol

Best Answers

• OppaboOppabo ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I think you don't have to worry about that because as soon as the merge hits, their char with the same name on the other server would get a _1 after it and they would be prompted to do name change again. If you delete your char with the original name, their char would still have the _1 behind it.
    Of course, I'm not 100% sure if this is how it works, but it seems the most logical in my mind. Also, I have names from when HW was a server and those characters are now on FF with _#_####### behind their name. I would imagine people have already deleted and claimed those names already since HW became FF meaning I would've had no way of obtaining them just because someone else deleted the original.

For a clearer example:
    You have Bob on AV and someone has Bob on TR.
    Your char has 100 days playtime and theirs has 50.
    After the merge, the AV Bob remains as Bob and TR Bob becomes Bob_1.
    You rename Bob to Joe, but the other's char is now named Bob_1 so there wouldn't be a chance of them getting the name unless you don't claim it before them.

Hope this helps? ^^
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Shistar wrote: »
    Sorry, english is not my first language.
    This helped me a lot, but the question I tried to make is what happens if when servers are merged and there are two "X"... if one of them deletes their character before the other one changes it, would the name be taken or not? I can't explain well since I'm still studying english.

Well I got your question, but I really cannot answer it with facts, just speculation, since It isn't specified anywhere, and well, it kinda does fit into the name hoarding practice, even if your case is an innocent one of just keeping a name to use yourself instead of the stupid name selling thing. Whoever it really is very likely that when deleting a character, it clears out the name conflict, and thus the older name holder may not need to change it and keeps instead.

You are indeed in a delicate situation regarding names, your reserved name is very likely to get taken in a way or another. I would suggest you creating a new character on the target server, and testing if your name is available there (unless you already did so and it isn't), you don't even need to end the creation, just type the name and see if it lets you keep. Cross your fingers that it isn't taken, so when the merge hits, you can either name change after it, or do it now and not worry.

I've heard around here that prior to merges, there will be an inactive name wipe. And I honestly hope that's true, since it would be the perfect time and chance to lower the name conflict situation. This would be beneficial to you (and possibly me, if Kudryavka.Noumi from TR has more than 3 days 19 hours of play).

Answers

• TsinTsin ✭✭✭
    The wording on this is terrible, but I'll try to answer what I think is the question.

If you want a better chance at keeping a name, now's the time to name change any characters with high playtime to the name that you want. This way, it's more likely you'll have a higher playtime than whoever has the name on the other server. It looks at character playtime, not how long your character has had the name.

IE: Say I have a high playtime character with a name I don't like and a Lv. 1 character that has a name that I really like. I'd have a better shot at keeping the Lv. 1 character's name if I delete it and quickly name change my high playtime character.
    Keep in mind, this doesn't guarantee that you get the name on the other server.
    You can also go to the other server and make a Lv. 1 character with the names you plan on keeping if they're available, just in case. Just be sure to delete them a few hours before the merge happens.

If you delete or rename a character with the name that you want and do NOT use the name on another character with high playtime, it's very unlikely that you'll get the name when the servers merge unless the name isn't taken on the other server. By default, if there's a Character named "X" on server A, but there isn't an "X" on Server B and the two are getting merged, Server A's "X" gets to keep the name.

Hope this helps.
  • Sorry, english is not my first language.
    This helped me a lot, but the question I tried to make is what happens if when servers are merged and there are two "X"... if one of them deletes their character before the other one changes it, would the name be taken or not? I can't explain well since I'm still studying english.
  • That was exactly what I needed to know! Thanks a lot Oppabo <3
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    . delete this post wrong thread.
  • ElinLove wrote: »
    Well I got your question, but I really cannot answer it with facts, just speculation, since It isn't specified anywhere, and well, it kinda does fit into the name hoarding practice, even if your case is an innocent one of just keeping a name to use yourself instead of the stupid name selling thing. Whoever it really is very likely that when deleting a character, it clears out the name conflict, and thus the older name holder may not need to change it and keeps instead.

That was the thing I was afraid about >.< thanks, if the inactive players get deleted I may have a chance to keep the name I want, since that character is stuck in lvl 20 for a couple months lol

ElinUsagi wrote: »

Sorry, first time in the forums ^^U didn't know where to put it, thought that PC was okay since server merge is happening in PC lol
  • Shistar wrote: »
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

Sorry, first time in the forums ^^U didn't know where to put it, thought that PC was okay since server merge is happening in PC lol

Nah, you're good -- they meant delete their own post because they had posted in the wrong thread. It was just a direction to the moderators.
  • Nah, you're good -- they meant delete their own post because they had posted in the wrong thread. It was just a direction to the moderators.
    Oh. I'm such a noob lmao