Talent System and NA

This thread is to discuss the upcoming release of the talent system in the North American version of TERA. Currently, we don't have all the details in place other than it will be included in an upcoming update. As it approaches we will, of course, share all that we know with you.

Comments

• As far as I'm aware, the reason we didn't get talents earlier is because the system was always too buggy and grindy to work in NA.. the fact that it fits perfectly here now is a bad sign for the current state of the game in my opinion.
  • What's the general gist with the upcoming talent system? Is it like another way to use our talents or will it be another medium that will encourage talent farming?
  • RKCRKC ✭✭✭
    OK can someone please explain to me what the talent system is?
  • counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10
    Berogi wrote: »
    What's the general gist with the upcoming talent system? Is it like another way to use our talents or will it be another medium that will encourage talent farming?

This is actually a good point -- the English localization used the word "talents" for something else, so they'll probably have to come up with some other name for this system that's unrelated to avoid the confusion.

This talent system isn't related to gold/silver talents, but it's like additional skill points (maybe call them "veteran points" or something?) you can earn at level 65. You earn them on any of your level 65 characters as you play the game and the point pool will be usable by all your characters on the server. (So, as you earn a point it enters the server-wide pool, and each of your characters can choose separately how to spend that point. But if you have characters on different servers, the talent pool is not shared between them.) Some of them buff base stats (like power and endurance), others improve specific class skills. (The Google doc posted above your post lists them.) The time it takes you to earn these "talents" is basically an exponential curve -- you'll be able to earn the first bunch fairly quickly and it gets progressively longer as you go. It's a system that is basically designed such that you will keep grinding forever and your account will keep getting slightly more powerful as you do (which, personally, is what I don't like about it), but there's a sort of "core talents" that are often recommended that can be earned without too much excessive grind.

This system has been in use in the Korean version of TERA for years now, but until recently BHS kept saying they had no plans to bring it to other global markets because it was a buggy system (although they kept it going and adding to it in K-TERA all this time anyway, perhaps because they didn't want to take away what people earned). As a result of this system existing in K-TERA, most players there were stronger than equivalently-geared players here, and there was a different class balance that some feel addressed some of the flaws/weaknesses of certain classes. So for many years people have been asking for something to be done to address this power and balance issue. And now... apparently we're finally getting this system, although many are concerned that if it comes over without changes or buffs to the earning rate, it'll just means years of grind to catch up to what many veteran K-TERA already have by now. So a lot of questions and concerns remain...
  • edited September 10
    I think the points to use on skills, that we would get, should be according to account tier, thats an indicator of how much time a player has alr grind.
  • KetothKetoth ✭✭✭✭
    > @Serdengjeshlere said:
    > I think the points to use on skills, that we would get, should be according to account tier, thats an indicator of how much time a player has alr grind.

Or how much a player swiped. Making it p2w
  • edited September 10
    U can level your account without paying, like i do, all new content give credits and also IOD bams. So i dont think is just p2w.
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the points to use on skills, that we would get, should be according to account tier, thats an indicator of how much time a player has alr grind.

Yes, the Account Tier is based both on the amount spent on the game and the amount of playtime they have. In most cases, it's the amount of real money spent on the game.

Assuming the data isn't deleted, a different way of doing it is by counting up the runs each character has done for the eligible dungeons AND all the wins from the respective Battlegrounds and assigning points retrospectively.

• Berogi wrote: »
    What's the general gist with the upcoming talent system? Is it like another way to use our talents or will it be another medium that will encourage talent farming?

This talent system isn't related to gold/silver talents, but it's like additional skill points (maybe call them "veteran points" or something?) you can earn at level 65. You earn them on any of your level 65 characters as you play the game and the point pool will be usable by all your characters on the server. (So, as you earn a point it enters the server-wide pool, and each of your characters can choose separately how to spend that point. But if you have characters on different servers, the talent pool is not shared between them.) Some of them buff base stats (like power and endurance), others improve specific class skills. (The Google doc posted above your post lists them.) The time it takes you to earn these "talents" is basically an exponential curve -- you'll be able to earn the first bunch fairly quickly and it gets progressively longer as you go. It's a system that is basically designed such that you will keep grinding forever and your account will keep getting slightly more powerful as you do (which, personally, is what I don't like about it), but there's a sort of "core talents" that are often recommended that can be earned without too much excessive grind.

Oh, I see, thanks so much for the explanation!

Seems quite reminiscent of systems I've seen in games I used to play like max level on Ragnarok Online 2 and the mastery system in Guild Wars 2. I don't mean it's stealing ideas, It's just a new mechanic to add more content and goals to end game players, which is fine in my opinion. Hopefully they can add something that'd make it not just a stat boost/ ability boost.

It'd be very refreshing if it was possible to add quirky passives to abilities, kind of how apex ninja's smoke bomb can be glyphed for a damage boost. Maybe you'd be able to unlock special glyph through this system. The spreadsheet has some very interesting combinations, the gunner tree excites me following apex. Keep it up guys, great work :+1:
  • i would like to know if will we get some free points at day one release of talent system. if yes, what criteria will be used to give the points?
  • RKC wrote: »
    OK can someone please explain to me what the talent system is?
    The simplest way to look at it is like an extended progression system where once you hit max level, you continue to earn experience where those levels/points can be used towards additional properties. Diablo 3 has a similar account wide system called Paragon, ELOA had Transcendence levels, ArcheAge has Ancestry levels (per character only), MU Legend has a parallel XP system called Soul Levels (also per character), Devilian had account wide Proficiencies (design was derived from K-TERA's EP/Talent system), Lost Ark will have their Tripod and Life Skill system (character based) to name a few games. Majority are exponential when it comes to level/points which is meant to give a player the feeling of gaining progress beyond the level cap. Since it is generally an ongoing power creep, these systems also tended to promote dysfunctional game play (excessive XP grinding for example).
  • It's kind of like a second glyph system on top of the current one. Grind a ton to unlock them, and they give you that bonus.
  • So basically talent system means, no more alts forever, I mean if you can tune your character beyond lmax level. You dont need for example two priest or two tanks. Is better focus in one and delete the rest. I bet you should 've relased this before the merge 5 months ago.

Then people would've been deleting characters like candies. To keep their best units for merge.
    This is also a terrible news for your costumes sales xd
  • counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10
    Gatokatzen wrote: »
    So basically talent system means, no more alts forever, I mean if you can tune your character beyond lmax level. You dont need for example two priest or two tanks. Is better focus in one and delete the rest. I bet you should 've relased this before the merge 5 months ago.

Then people would've been deleting characters like candies. To keep their best units for merge.
    This is also a terrible news for your costumes sales xd

No, as I explained earlier, the talent pool is by server. So when you earn talents on one character on the server, it increases the pool for all your characters on the server.

What it does mean, though, is that it's counterproductive to have characters on multiple servers, and not very beneficial to transfer servers once you're established somewhere.