[TERA PC] With anniversary concluded and our servers stabilized, we are re-enabling the Adventure Coin system, starting 10 a.m. PT on June 5 (Fri) with the scheduled Weekend Dungeon Highlight. Thank you for understanding.
[TERA PC] We confirmed that an issue with Civil Unrest persists, so Civil Unrest will remain disabled until further notice. Thank you for understanding.

The lore behind character names and its origins!

It seems like many players prefer to pick simple and otherwise silly names, which is one of the reasons as to why I've been trying to remain as lore-friendly as possible when it comes to my own characters.

I ended up going as do do my own fair share of research and wrote down several name examples across each race. It's safe to say that I've come to the conclusion that even though the races of TERA aren't particularly inspired in just one culture of our world, there seems to be a pattern when it comes to their names and its origins. Names can vary and I haven't caught any meaningful surnames.

Either way, I'll be pointing out what I've managed to find down below!

race_Header_Aman.png

THE BASICS
Amani names are generally rough-sounding with an emphasis on power, brutality and respect;
Their names seem to share similarities to Jewish, Arabic, Indian and Japanese names;
Names that are typically associated with [man-beasts such as orcs and charr can also be used as a source of inspiration;

USEFUL WEBSITES AND NAME GENERATORS

race_Header_Baraka.png

THE BASICS
Baraka names are isolated, tranquil and aren't meant to sound all that harsh;
Their names seem to share similarities to Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Turkish and Albanian names;

race_Header_Castanic.png

THE BASICS
Castanic names might come off as heroic or even sexy and dashing;
Their names can share similarities to common Greek names and other Indo-European languages;
Their names can also be based off succubus and incubus history;

race_Header_Elin.png

THE BASICS
Elin names are sometimes inspired by nature and other related topics or can come off as melodic and are easy to pronounce;
Their names can share similarities to Celtic (Irish, Gaelic, and Welsh) names;

race_Header_High-elf.png

THE BASICS
High Elf names can be considered aristocratic or even pure;
Their names can share similarities to Israeli, Roman, and Algerian names;
The portray of elves in fiction is quite common, so it should be fairly easy to come across thousands of names associated with these species;

race_Header_Human.png

THE BASICS
Humans are the most generic species in a fantasy setting and are usually associated with medieval Europe;
Most of their names tend to be connected with common English and South African names;

race_Header_Popori.png

THE BASICS
Just like with Elins, the names used for Popori could also be associated with nature;
Their names can share similarities to Jordanian, Japanese and Latin names;

And that's all!

Comments

• MaulclawMaulclaw ✭✭✭
    edited April 30

Please keep in mind that this is mostly speculation based on what is present in-game. No one is stopping players from actually using silly names after all.

• MaulclawMaulclaw ✭✭✭

I decided to fix a few more things about the thread. Some feedback would be appreciated.