[PS4/XB1] We have identified an issue that is preventing players from obtaining achievements. We are aware of this issue, and are working to solve this as soon as possible. Being that this issue will likely require an additional maintenance, we will inform players as soon as we have scheduled this fix. Thank you for your patience and understanding!

"How many versions of this game are out there?" - a brief look into the SEVEN official releases!

Hey everyone.

This might be an odd question, but I'm rather confused about all of this. As far as I was concerned there were only four official releases of this game, but after some research I couldn't help but find SEVEN official releases. It wouldn't surprise me if there's more out there.

So here's what I managed to dig up:

KOREA: https://tera.nexon.com/

TERA was developed by Bluehole Studio, a small company that had its origins in 2007. It managed to grow exponentially after TERA's release, leading to spin-offs and other major releases (alongside numerous other sub-companies and projects).

When it comes to publishers... now that's a tricky story. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it started off with Hangame and NHN Entertainment, which then jumped to Naver Corporation before Nexon took over the project. I could be wrong as I'm not exactly an expert with these kind of things.

https://tera.nexon.com/

JAPAN:

The japanese release is also tricky, especially when there are two different websites and publishers claiming it. Even though both websites look extremely similar, there are some key changes. It seems that this version of TERA is either run by Hangame or Pmang Games. Is there a connection between those two?

http://members-tera.hangame.co.jp/
https://tera.pmang.jp/

RUSSIA:

RU-TERA is apparently published by a company known as Destiny.Games. There wasn't much I could find about them besides the fact that they're a big team that has translated and released several online games and products over to Russia.

https://www.tera-online.ru/

EUROPE:

As some of you might know, the European publisher is none other than the infamous Gameforge AG, a comapny well-known for bringing numerous eastern Free-To-Play games over to Europe and abuse them until every penny has been squeezed out of their consumers' pockets. If the rumours are true, then it seems like Gameforge AG is indeed improving, but I'll still hold on to some my doubts as two of my favourite MMOs in the past have been butchered by this company's shade practices.

https://en.tera.gameforge.com/

NORTH AMERICA:

The developers of TERA always planned to release this game on the western market, which is why Enmasse Entertainment was previously known as Bluehole Interactive, Inc., meaning that they are a daughter company to the original Bluehole Studio. They had a really strong start with this game, going as far as hiring familiar voice actors to voice their characters and worked hard behind the game's marketing. Unfortunately, they have lost touch with the fan-base over the years, which then accumulated to the mess that has happened recently...

http://tera.enmasse.com/

THAILAND:

This was actually a surprise, but it seems like there's an official Thai release of TERA that was published by Playwith Thailand. It seems like they have plans for a PS4 re-release as well. I can't really find anything worth mentioning about this company; not even a page in English.

http://tera.playwith.in.th

TAIWAN and CHINA:

This was a surprise. Just like with version mentioned previously, information regarding this eastern release is hard to come by, but it seems like both releases of the game went through major issues a few years ago.

From what I managed to find, the Chinese version of the game was run by Kunlun Games and the game was considered a commercial failure, resulting in the company shutting down its servers in 2016. However, another subsidiary company known as Bluehole Pnix worked on a mobile version of the game.

Taiwan is a completely different story, though. The team over at OMG Digial Entertainment had announced the game's closure in late 2015 before a sudden turn of events had Bluehole Studio shift the game to a different company, MangoT5 (which belongs to HappyTuk).

https://tera.mangot5.com

Each website is different from the other and it seems like each company tries to advertise their games differently:

- Enmasse used to take the game quite seriously and seemed to pay attention to the lore and characters. They then decided to take a more fun and entertaining approach to the game by making comical sketches and appealing trailers with bombastic music.

- Gameforge on the other hand, has decided to keep it simple. They tend to do direct translations of Korean trailers or rely on the in-game engine to record gameplay and show off the environment.

- Destiny.Games decided to make TERA look as edgy as possible by making dark, obscure and action-packed ads. Besides the typical Item Store trailers, they also produce videos connected to major releases and dungeons that keep that grim tone.

- Most of the eastern releases seem to follow a similar path. When it's time for a serious release they pour their heart on it, but most of their trailers and videos are seen as cute, with a huge focus on elin and other female characters.

If there is anything that you guys could share about this, please do let me know!

Sources:
https://mmoculture.com/2015/09/tera-taiwan-server-scheduled-to-resume-operations-this-november/
https://mmoculture.com/2015/08/tera-publisher-announces-upcoming-closure-of-taiwan-server/
https://mmos.com/news/tera-is-shutting-down-in-china
https://mmoculture.com/2016/06/tera-kunlun-games-and-bluehole-confirms-closure-of-china-server/
https://mmos.com/news/nexon-takes-over-as-tera-koreas-publisher
http://destiny.games/games/

Comments

• AxeI wrote: »
    Thank you for the informative post.

You're welcome.
  • ElinUsagi wrote: »
    You can add to the CHINA release, it was on 2014. Many people says the shutdown was because the game was too old to compete vs the MMOs that were already on China market.

tencent is working with a huge game company to come out with a new mmorpg soon. I cant wait to see it
  • ElinUsagi wrote: »
    You can add to the CHINA release, it was on 2014. Many people says the shutdown was because the game was too old to compete vs the MMOs that were already on China market.

I don't suppose you know the url of the chinese version of the game?
  • LordMurasamaLordMurasama ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The Japan one is kind of a long story due to business changes and acquisitions.... Hangame (NHN Entertainment) was originally a huge PC game portal in Korea and they also had subsidiaries in other regions. Back in the 2014-2015 timeframe, Hangame decided to shift primary focus away from PC MMO's to mobile games (because that is where the venture capital and investment money was going to for development and portals); this is also why K-TERA shutdown for a short period since they were originally published by NHN Hangame in Korea (Nexon picked up the publishing rights).

J-TERA was published by the Japanese subsidiary of Hangame (which continued handling PC and mobile games). Hangame Japan is pretty much mostly a portal now so they continue to front-end J-TERA while the company actually servicing the game is Pmang (previously known as Game On which absorbed Neowiz Japan; a subsidiary of Neowiz Korea). Pmang is actually the name of Neowiz Korea's portal site (but is also used in Japan). Hangame runs other promos and associated portal related events (which is probably where differences are seen depending on which front end a player looks at).
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    Maulclaw wrote: »
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

my understanding is to create an account in china , japan and korea you need to be their to authenticate/validate a tera account otherwise id be playing one (prob japans) from here in the west of Australia
    from memory its like you need an active cell phone account registered in that area to receive an activation code for the game
  • tisnotme wrote: »
    Maulclaw wrote: »
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

my understanding is to create an account in china , japan and korea you need to be their to authenticate/validate a tera account otherwise id be playing one (prob japans) from here in the west of Australia
    from memory its like you need an active cell phone account registered in that area to receive an activation code for the game

there are lists available with cellphone numbers for those that have moved away from china
  • The Japan one is kind of a long story due to business changes and acquisitions.... Hangame (NHN Entertainment) was originally a huge PC game portal in Korea and they also had subsidiaries in other regions. Back in the 2014-2015 timeframe, Hangame decided to shift primary focus away from PC MMO's to mobile games (because that is where the venture capital and investment money was going to for development and portals); this is also why K-TERA shutdown for a short period since they were originally published by NHN Hangame in Korea (Nexon picked up the publishing rights).

J-TERA was published by the Japanese subsidiary of Hangame (which continued handling PC and mobile games). Hangame Japan is pretty much mostly a portal now so they continue to front-end J-TERA while the company actually servicing the game is Pmang (previously known as Game On which absorbed Neowiz Japan; a subsidiary of Neowiz Korea). Pmang is actually the name of Neowiz Korea's portal site (but is also used in Japan). Hangame runs other promos and associated portal related events (which is probably where differences are seen depending on which front end a player looks at).

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thank you! =)
  • Seems like best Tera right now after Europe is Tera thailand .
    But guess ping will be stratosferic.
  • evilbaobeievilbaobei ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I dont personally think Tera Thailand will be a problem for asians..
    I personally am playing in Tera Thailand due to amazing 37ms ping..
    Anything that is important in the game are all in english...
    Eg. Skill & glyphs (excluding description as it is in thai..), dungeons list, materials and items..
    For item rolls although it is in thai, but the location of the rolls are exactly the same, thus we did a screenshot and saved it up and just open it up to refer it.
    But this would only happen often in the early stages of enchanting items.. since you wont be switching your gears that often in end game..
    It feels typically the same as how you would be playing in KR..
    But being able to search for items in english in the broker dont make you lose anything out..
    The team currently for TH server listens to the players and made adjustments.. but who knows for how long.. we cant guarantee that :dizzy:
    Best thing for now, they dont do [filtered] gacha for dyeable costumes..
    Only certain costumes are up for gacha..
    They even did a jackpot event for the latest innerwear for free as long as you can down AAHM..
    Whats more to ask?!
    Sadly the only problem is that they have low population in game😪
  • evilbaobei wrote: »
    I dont personally think Tera Thailand will be a problem for asians..
    I personally am playing in Tera Thailand due to amazing 37ms ping..
    Anything that is important in the game are all in english...
    Eg. Skill & glyphs (excluding description as it is in thai..), dungeons list, materials and items..
    For item rolls although it is in thai, but the location of the rolls are exactly the same, thus we did a screenshot and saved it up and just open it up to refer it.
    But this would only happen often in the early stages of enchanting items.. since you wont be switching your gears that often in end game..
    It feels typically the same as how you would be playing in KR..
    But being able to search for items in english in the broker dont make you lose anything out..
    The team currently for TH server listens to the players and made adjustments.. but who knows for how long.. we cant guarantee that :dizzy:
    Best thing for now, they dont do [filtered] gacha for dyeable costumes..
    Only certain costumes are up for gacha..
    They even did a jackpot event for the latest innerwear for free as long as you can down AAHM..
    Whats more to ask?!
    Sadly the only problem is that they have low population in game😪

I would like to know more about TERA Thailand. How does one make an account there?
  • > @Maulclaw said:
    > evilbaobei wrote: »
    >
    > I dont personally think Tera Thailand will be a problem for asians..
    > I personally am playing in Tera Thailand due to amazing 37ms ping..
    > Anything that is important in the game are all in english...
    > Eg. Skill & glyphs (excluding description as it is in thai..), dungeons list, materials and items..
    > For item rolls although it is in thai, but the location of the rolls are exactly the same, thus we did a screenshot and saved it up and just open it up to refer it.
    > But this would only happen often in the early stages of enchanting items.. since you wont be switching your gears that often in end game..
    > It feels typically the same as how you would be playing in KR..
    > But being able to search for items in english in the broker dont make you lose anything out..
    > The team currently for TH server listens to the players and made adjustments.. but who knows for how long.. we cant guarantee that :dizzy:
    > Best thing for now, they dont do [filtered] gacha for dyeable costumes..
    > Only certain costumes are up for gacha..
    > They even did a jackpot event for the latest innerwear for free as long as you can down AAHM..
    > Whats more to ask?!
    > Sadly the only problem is that they have low population in game😪
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I would like to know more about TERA Thailand. How does one make an account there?

You can go https://www.playwith.in.th/th/Account/Agree

Anything that you are not sure can easily use google translate.. remember to click on the box for your login id ..as they will prompt an error if you didnt counter check the details
  • evilbaobei wrote: »
    > @Maulclaw said:
    > evilbaobei wrote: »
    >
    > I dont personally think Tera Thailand will be a problem for asians..
    > I personally am playing in Tera Thailand due to amazing 37ms ping..
    > Anything that is important in the game are all in english...
    > Eg. Skill & glyphs (excluding description as it is in thai..), dungeons list, materials and items..
    > For item rolls although it is in thai, but the location of the rolls are exactly the same, thus we did a screenshot and saved it up and just open it up to refer it.
    > But this would only happen often in the early stages of enchanting items.. since you wont be switching your gears that often in end game..
    > It feels typically the same as how you would be playing in KR..
    > But being able to search for items in english in the broker dont make you lose anything out..
    > The team currently for TH server listens to the players and made adjustments.. but who knows for how long.. we cant guarantee that :dizzy:
    > Best thing for now, they dont do [filtered] gacha for dyeable costumes..
    > Only certain costumes are up for gacha..
    > They even did a jackpot event for the latest innerwear for free as long as you can down AAHM..
    > Whats more to ask?!
    > Sadly the only problem is that they have low population in game😪
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I would like to know more about TERA Thailand. How does one make an account there?

You can go https://www.playwith.in.th/th/Account/Agree

Anything that you are not sure can easily use google translate.. remember to click on the box for your login id ..as they will prompt an error if you didnt counter check the details

I'll look into it, thanks!