[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance on 1/27 at 6pm PST, and have an expected downtime of 3 hours. For details, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

In attempt to clear up misinformation regarding Proxy

One of the 3rd party developers did a write up to help create a proper understanding of proxy and it's intentions. If youre interested give this a read.

About TERA Proxy

What is TERA Proxy?
TERA Proxy is a packet injection framework that allows the creation and use of mods that affect the game's networking.

Why?
TERA Proxy was developed in response to the large number of game bugs unaddressed by Bluehole Studios (especially in regards to high latency). By providing an easy framework with which to manipulate packets, it allows players to fix some of the most severe issues themselves.

While it can be argued this makes it easier to find and exploit vulnerabilities, we believe the benefits vastly outweigh the risks. Additionally, many applications such as Alkahest, Cheat Engine, etc. carry these same risks. In the end, it's up to individual developers to responsibly disclose bugs rather than abuse them.

TL;DR proxy was made to fix bugs, not abuse them.

What is Skill Prediction?
Virtually all online games employ a technique called client-side prediction in order to reduce the effect ping has on gameplay.

Tera's netcode was lazily designed around Korean network conditions of 10ms ping or less, and does not have prediction for anything besides player movement. This is where Skill Prediction comes in.

Skill Prediction adds client-side prediction to skills by simulating an instant server response, effectively making them work the same regardless of whether you have 0ms ping or 500ms ping. If implemented properly, this does not cause any issues.

How does proxy impact regular (non-proxy) players?
Proxy + Skill Prediction enables people who live far from the servers to be able to play the game competitively and have fun. This means you'll have more friends, rivals, and people to play with in general; which is always a good thing in an MMO!

Does proxy increase the number of cheaters?
More players means more cheaters, and that's a simple fact. We TERA Proxy developers encourage users to play responsibly and do everything we can (within reason) to limit the spread of cheats. The rest is up to the players to report cheaters, the publishers to ban them, and the developers to fix the root issues.

Why are some publishers against proxy?

Simply put: They don't want to deal with it.

Most companies would rather not rely on some unknown third-party software to keep their game operational, and that's totally understandable. However, we try to be very open with how TERA Proxy works in hopes that some of them will understand and allow (or at least ignore) it for players' benefit.

As it is not our game, we can't give any guarantees. However we can at least convey our best intentions.

Thanks for reading. And whether you use proxy or not, have fun!~ Pinkie Pie

Comments

• I am going to be blunt here.

i do not think that cheating was the real problem about proxy but something else because if it was the real problem then the proxy tool would have been purged a long time ago ( this time something happened and EME decided to fight it directly ).

Regardless, it is sad to see how everything was handled since there was no plan in advance to reduce the shockwave but i still hope that something good will happen and everything will be more or less fine.
  • DigivolveDigivolve ✭✭✭✭
    > @HLK76PFWXT said:
    > I am going to be blunt here.
    >
    > i do not think that cheating was the real problem about proxy but something else because if it was the real problem then the proxy tool would have been purged a long time ago ( this time something happened and EME decided to fight it directly ).
    >
    > Regardless, it is sad to see how everything was handled since there was no plan in advance to reduce the shockwave but i still hope that something good will happen and everything will be more or less fine.

I cant actually think of anything eme can do to fix the situation. The damage is quite irrepairable
  • seraphinushseraphinush ✭✭✭✭
    If the damage is irrepairable, it would illogical for EME to go back on their actions/words so they would have to move forward with consequences of their decision :shrug:
  • VinyltailsVinyltails ✭✭✭✭
    Im going to laugh so hard if they delete this thread
  • why because it doesnt say proxy was only used for memeslashing?
  • TL;DR
    Without proxy and skill-prediction you are not playing game the WAY it was made to be played.The way koreans made it to be played on their region.
    If you have <50 ping you dont need it(in some cases you might),if >50 you are not playing game the way it was made to be played.
  • The way skill prediction works is NOT identical to having 0 ping.. I know, I know, unpopular opinion, but it isn't. Animation locks are different, durations are different, time between ticks is different, it's just not a perfect implementation. And that's assuming SP was even a big factor in this - there's an absolute boat load of modules that completely change the gameplay experience in so many ways. Auto loot, guide modules, broker anywhere, auto negotiation, auto nostrums, auto hp/mp pots, slaying hp, automatic vanguards, never miss backstab, and how many even more ridiculously exploitative ones? The fact is, the proxy's self-policing relies on them agreeing with EME/BHS on what an "exploit" is. And of course they don't. They never could.
    As for the rest of this PR fluff piece... yeah i feel like it might be slightly biased.
  • "The rest is up to the players to report cheaters, the publishers to ban them, and the developers to fix the root issues."

Tfw you low key bless the dmca.
  • DL7MMWLJ3WDL7MMWLJ3W ✭✭✭✭
    Meh, people don't want to see this eye-to-eye with what you are saying Saabi. Especially when someone posts a youtube link of resetting GG with proxy involved and it just spreads unnecessary bad rumors. But once this goes into action and people still see there are exploits and cheats going on without proxy, it will maybe make them fully aware, maybe.
    Vinyltails wrote: »
    I'd say as long as someone doesn't starting baiting people into an all-out war like that certain user that got banned, this thread can stay open until it's dead. That honestly depends if other ppl can stay on topic and not lash at somebody like they killed their parents or whatever motivates they have here.
  • DL7MMWLJ3W wrote: »
    Vinyltails wrote: »
    I'd say as long as someone doesn't starting baiting people into an all-out war like that certain user that got banned, this thread can stay open until it's dead. That honestly depends if other ppl can stay on topic and not lash at somebody like they killed their parents or whatever motivates they have here.
    tbh discussing 3rd party software at all is against rules on forums, but eme enforces their rules like they're a dart board, just drunkenly throwing darts in the general direction of the rules "aha! today, we're banning people for resetting wbams on pvp servers!"
  • AxeI wrote: »
    @KillerPenguins

Please, you have 0 idea what you're talking about, please stop.

There’s only one thing in TERA that happens on your screen as soon as you press a button, and that’s movement. This is a technique called "client-side prediction" (You can google it). It’s still going to take 100 ms for the server to receive your new position, and then half of everyone else’s ping for them to see it, but at least on your own client, you see when you step forward or back instantaneously. It feels smooth and fluid.

What does that say about casting skills? Well, when you press the button, your client doesn’t actually do much of anything yet. It sends a request to do it to the server, who verifies a number of things (Was it off cooldown? Was it on a valid target? Are you not stunned or slept?) and then sends back an acknowledgment along with other information like the attack speed. Only then does your client animate that skill.

Let’s ignore chain skills for a moment. We’ve casted our first skill, but now we want to cast the second. We can’t do that while we’re already in a skill, so we have to wait for the first skill to finish animating.

But our first skill already took 200 extra ms to start.

And then we have to wait another 200 ms for the server to acknowledge our second skill.

That’s what’s colloquially known as “ping tax”, and you pay it on most everything you do in TERA.

Lockons are extra awful in this department. Entering the lockon pays ping tax, acquiring a lock pays ping tax, and then firing the skill pays ping tax.

Well, we can’t get rid of latency. It’ll always take 100 ms for the server to receive anything you send.

But what we can do is try our best to eliminate the ping tax on the client. When you try to cast a skill, skill predictors are really just tera-proxy modules that predict the acknowledgment reply from the server and send it to the client.

You say you want to cast Rapid Fire? The predictor instantly replies that you did it. That’s a whopping 0 ms on the ping tax. No need to wait for the server when you can just assume it was successful.

Sometimes, it gets it wrong. There’s a lot of things the client doesn’t check before sending the server a request to cast a skill, so skill predictors have to be checking if you’re stunned or slept or knocked down, if you have appropriate prerequisite buffs to cast something, if you have glyphs or buffs that alter a specific skill’s attack speed… If we guess any of those wrong, you get desynced. Your client might still animate it, but it might be too slow, or too fast, or it wasn’t actually cast at all. Damage doesn’t happen, but you’re still stuck in animation.

Thanks for the eli5 but it really wasn't necessary - i'm more aware than you are of how SP works. I'm also quite aware of how infuriating it is to play tera with high ping. However, because skill prediction is not expected server-side, proxy tells your client how long your animation lasts before it can be canceled, among other things which your client normally would be waiting for from the server - sometimes this causes an abnormally large desync because you cancel a skill/try to cast the next one before the server thinks you should be able to, which is when you get what proxy users know as "ghosting." Unfortunately, mostly because of how terable the netcode is, low ping players on certain classes also get a major advantage in animation cancelling with sp installed.
    As I said before, however, I don't think SP is even the issue here. There are WAY too many other modules that change the way tera works to consider here.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    DL7MMWLJ3W wrote: »
    [...] That honestly depends if other ppl can stay on topic and not lash at somebody like they killed their parents or whatever motivates they have here.

Sadly it didn't take 20 minutes for it to happen... Well that was quite inside expectations tho, you agree with the way I want you to agree with me or you're a stupid troll, my enemy for life, and your opinion or even factual data is wrong.

Anyway on my view on it: As I said on another topic, I cannot consider fair that some people risk their accounts for benefits that the ones not doing so will not have. It's obviously not fair to have geographical advantage on something that is not a real world war, but having benefits for daring against the rules is also NOT fair. Saying that "it fixes what never should have been the issue" isn't for me a valid point, since that said fix still requires you to go out of your way to violate the politics to which you agreed and can get banned for doing so. Basically any 1st time player or someone that has the habit of firmly abiding to rules is automatically at a disadvantage. I can't call this fair.
    Not to mention desync. "But the devs themselves said to not use it on PVP" yeah right but how is it in reality? Specially with people here so strongly stating that PVP will be dead without it. See, that's how I'm not really in favor of it, not some stupid "muh cheaters" or just a troll as some love to lash at, but then, I also agree that they suddenly throwing a DMCA without having even anything to show as a fix, was a ridiculous stupid idea.