[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

So am i just not allowed to run or learn content?

Comments

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xristosx wrote: »
    SageWindu wrote: »

Yes, there is Essential Mana, but not everyone benefits from those type of guides (not to mention some of the information doesn't benefit "younger" players). For the more visual and audio learners, videos like this may be a great help and might even alleviate the current dichotomy between "hardcore" and "casual" players. The casual players get more and better aid, the hardcore players eventually have more people that know what the hell they're doing.

Essential mana does do visual stuff, most decent guides on there have visual pictures, gifs and videos of attacks bosses do with explanations of the mechanic as well. so i'm not sure what you mean.

A comprehensive "For Dummies" breakdown is what I mean. Freeze-frames, indicators, "good idea, bad idea" type stuff, the whole nine.

"This boss/class does this and it looks like this. Let's break it down." <-- That's what I mean.

You familiar with Versus Books at all? They make some of the best strategy guides in the market. I mean that sort of thing.
  • LinXiaoXingLinXiaoXing Jakarta, Indonesia ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    There is no such `friendly` for `learning run` in TERA, specialy in end-game content,
    `certain` players would be forcing you to become `genius` by just run hardest dungeon in 5 runs.

This is a huge problem in MMO, when you make complex mechanism and high difficulties,
    player would be tend to be `Elitist`.

Elitist = Is an `act` or `behavior` of players which is tend to be feel `superior` because have a better gear, better skills, better experience, better reflexes, or better in everything, in result they would become `picky` and `discrimination`.
    (Elitist is an act or behavior, not amount of how high your gear or skills is).

And in TERA, we doesnt have `instrument` or `feature` to control this behaviors `anomaly` from certain players that tend to be `Elitist`.
    lowering dungeon difficulty would be solution, but that is the risk.
  • KitTeaCup wrote: »
    What does everyone think is the best way to avoid this sort of situation?

I hate to say this but make the game easier. This could be accomplished through a combination of reducing boss damage and making gearing easier.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    XHGJW4LMY6 wrote: »
    KitTeaCup wrote: »

I hate to say this but make the game easier. This could be accomplished through a combination of reducing boss damage and making gearing easier.

Reducing boss damage is dumb. They did that on tera console and it's not working out for them, is it now?
    Training dungeons and other suggestions are a much better idea. Biggest problem is not damage, rather it's getting used to mechanics and certain unavoidable attacks, so if we were able to practice that beforehand it would be a lot of help.
  • XHGJW4LMY6 wrote: »

No
  • Maxmilian wrote: »
    Cyborq wrote: »
    Some people enjoy running dungeons with people that don't know all the mechanics and don't have the best gear or the optimal skill rotations on par.

And then are some, I think a lot of people, that don't. They just want to min/max everything and do the runs with as much rush and DPS as possible.

And both are fine.

The issue I find with the former group is how few there are in it and the problem with the latter one is how salty and rude those people tend to be.
    Not everyone, but it shines through when they are.

Then there's a rainbow of people there in between.

Wow. This is just beautiful. Brought a tear to my salty eye.

It's just true.

I had a glorious SCNM run a day or two ago.
    3 DPS that seemed to know the dungeon, and a tank that had never done it before... never even read a guide or watched videos.
    I will start by saying.... yes. Not at least looking up the mechs and tutorial of the dungeon is a stupid move...
    But the guy told us upfront and I was in a babysitting mood so I told them I'd do my best to carry the run.
    Yes the tank would probably die a lot, and yes it would be annoying for the DPS and me, but we decided to try it all the same.

Heck, I had a blast. The guy was polite and sorry at the same time, and I just sent him hearts and "don't-sweat-it's" and told him to pay notice to the attacks.

We who knew the dungeon were nice enough to tell him the mechs beforehand.
    Darkan was a [filtered], and no one seemed to know the mechs in there, but we did it and not even one wipe.
    It took a while and it took a lot of dodging and ressing and healing, but it was fun all the same.

I have once. ONCE. Been in a group where I told them I hadn't done the HM mode yet (which I was in) and two of the DPS (one especially) were so darn helpful and polite and awesome that I still have their names in a notepad folder on my desktop. <3
    CornishRex wrote: »
    XHGJW4LMY6 wrote: »

Reducing boss damage is dumb. They did that on tera console and it's not working out for them, is it now?
    Training dungeons and other suggestions are a much better idea. Biggest problem is not damage, rather it's getting used to mechanics and certain unavoidable attacks, so if we were able to practice that beforehand it would be a lot of help.

Not to mention a "Practice" mode would make lowering overall difficulty redundant anyway.
  • CyborqCyborq ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I like the ideas of having a learning type of dungeons for HM's with unlimited entrances and little to no loot for clearing them.
    Same mechs, same speed, a lot less damage.
    Maybe even implement something that when people get hit, it tells them what this mechanic that they got hit with does (debuff, stagger, little, medium, a lot or oneshot damage, bleed, knockback, stun etc etc) and how to avoid this attack, if it is iframe-able and etcetera.

Giving exp'd people rewards for teaching new people the ropes also sounds good. But I guess that'd have to be done the hard way.
    Drag the beginners through the HM's.
  • JezzeusagiJezzeusagi ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    > @CornishRex said:
    > XHGJW4LMY6 wrote: »
    >
    > KitTeaCup wrote: »
    >
    > What does everyone think is the best way to avoid this sort of situation?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I hate to say this but make the game easier. This could be accomplished through a combination of reducing boss damage and making gearing easier.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Reducing boss damage is dumb. They did that on tera console and it's not working out for them, is it now?

No they didn't. The bosses still eat 50+% of your hp on basic [filtered] really easily and named mechanics still 1 shot you.

The veliks little helper buff console recieved isnt reallt doing anything beyond occasional literal scathing survival on bosses clipping melee from behind.

Those buffs are only helping the players that already know what to do, the ones that dont still get torn in half just as fast.
  • CatservantCatservant ✭✭✭✭
    @Zubberfly I'm sad you decided to go. I love this game and would completely have no problem running with you.
    Nopi wrote: »
    @KitTeaCup
    I'd say that looking for ways to make the pros feel they are not wasting their time on newbies would be a good start. One option would be to throw actual learning run dungeons. These do the exact same as their regular counterpart, but they give no expensive rewards (maybe just pots and some pocket change gold), but they also do not consume your tries per day, so anyone can enter and practice them to their heart's content. A pro could do all their daily stuff, then hang back running with newbies.

Another thing, we can get registered mentors who need to keep their mentor status monthly through the new commend system. This way, players will know the mentors they see are active. Give these players mentor related perks, like small boosts in combat when playing in a dungeon with unskilled players.

I don't agree with making dungeons easier to newbies. As in, if there are one shot mechs, these should apply to everyone. Maybe, use screen filling messages and stronger visual cues to alert people when they are in danger, like a notice when standing in DoT puddles or a notice with a prompt for an i-frame skill when an impeding hard attack is about ti launch, like BnS does on normal difficulty dungeons. These things can then be made editable when skilled in the dungeon, through a small "use danger messages" check box when queuing or a "use danger messages for skilled dungeons" in options.

These are just a few ideas that come to my mind to tr and help connecting pros with newbies. Since this is one of the most important things the game needs right now.

Even a "Danger Room" where replicas of all the bosses are, complete with mechanics. Can be entered singly (with bots to supply missing people ) or as a group, to practice mechs. I would be incredibly excited with a chance to practice mechs that inconveniences no one else. No rewards ofc, beyond perhaps a random consumable or two. The reward is the chance to practice.
  • CatservantCatservant ✭✭✭✭
    Maxmilian wrote: »

@KitTeaCup
    Get in touch with the people who run Essential Mana, and entice them to write updated guides for you, possibly feature them in a blog post or on stream. They have a discord so its extremely easy to get in touch with the writers.

Do learning runs for low level dungeons on twitch and alternate POV between tanking, healing and dps.
    Healer POV is usually the easiest to teach on since you are just watching the tank and dps do their things anyway.

You need to not be dying or just idly walking around like you do in most streams so if you cant do it, give the POV to someone else. Have someone who is skilled in high level dungeons come in and do in depth shot calling runs of the introductory 431's and up.
    And by skilled, i mean people who dont need to be told their rotation is wrong at the end of the run
    Have someone come in and explain what enrage is and what it looks like, what deadly boss debuffs look like when theyre on you, what crystals are needed on who, buffs that should be used pre fight (nostrums prime solution etc), things that noobs wouldnt know unless someone told them. Do wipe runs on purpose where you go into detail about what exact mechanic will wipe you and why and how to avoid it.

We need in depth breakdowns of dungeons and mechanics that are sponsored and distributed by eme. The videos could be lifted from twitch and even edited and put on an eme official youtube channel. Touch bases with the real top tier players of Tera, not just gear carried weak sauce.
    Twitch is a tool that could be used for more than just mindless bumbling for 2 and a half hours.

I think this is a very well thought out synopsis of the problem. Well said.
  • LinXiaoXingLinXiaoXing Jakarta, Indonesia ✭✭
    edited October 2018

@KitTeaCup
    Get in touch with the people who run Essential Mana, and entice them to write updated guides for you, possibly feature them in a blog post or on stream. They have a discord so its extremely easy to get in touch with the writers.

Do learning runs for low level dungeons on twitch and alternate POV between tanking, healing and dps.
    Healer POV is usually the easiest to teach on since you are just watching the tank and dps do their things anyway.

You need to not be dying or just idly walking around like you do in most streams so if you cant do it, give the POV to someone else. Have someone who is skilled in high level dungeons come in and do in depth shot calling runs of the introductory 431's and up.
    And by skilled, i mean people who dont need to be told their rotation is wrong at the end of the run
    Have someone come in and explain what enrage is and what it looks like, what deadly boss debuffs look like when theyre on you, what crystals are needed on who, buffs that should be used pre fight (nostrums prime solution etc), things that noobs wouldnt know unless someone told them. Do wipe runs on purpose where you go into detail about what exact mechanic will wipe you and why and how to avoid it.

We need in depth breakdowns of dungeons and mechanics that are sponsored and distributed by eme. The videos could be lifted from twitch and even edited and put on an eme official youtube channel. Touch bases with the real top tier players of Tera, not just gear carried weak sauce.
    Twitch is a tool that could be used for more than just mindless bumbling for 2 and a half hours.

Personaly, i dont like how @KitTeaCup said, no offense.
    its like... player should take very seriously for TERA game play, with being forget to have `fun`.

People have come on go in TERA..
    there were people has very fast learning, and some are not,

There are people like me with enough item level to run all dungeon in TERA,
    (Brawler 455 Full SC+9, Berserker 453 Full SC+7, and Gunner 453 Full SC+7), but lacking skill in end-game content,
    because i`m very strugling to run `learning-run` in TERA end-game content, since i was main tank, people expected me to become `genius` by just run dungeon in 5 times (ask me why?).
    And few people like me is exist in TERA..

For example, when i was trying to learn GLSNM in first week release, using my Brawler,
    some people blame me, because what he think.., i was trap-tank, (but the funny things is.. we clear those GLSNM),
    there is no `friendly` in `learning run` anymore in TERA end-game content,
    `certain` player would not accept strugling condition, even they clear those dungeon.

Players which is passively main `a class` for 2-3 months, gain enough `muscle memory` in his finger when pushing button in keyboard, and achieve enough item-level for them to run dungeon, these players CAN NOT categories as `newbie` or `beginer`, they just lack experience in certain dungeon.

What i`m trying to say, TERA game-play in end-game content now produce `anomaly` of people behavior,
    `if` TERA expecting and forcing people to be experience in end-game content,
    TERA should have instrument and feature to provide it.

Training HM dungeon with no rewards, and unlimited count, maybe a good idea,
    but i `doubt` that would be effective, because players seems very calculate about their play time and rewards.
    And if this `Training HM dungeon` was design to train players and to prevent `trap run`, this feature would be `contradiction` with `instance matching`, or maybe they should make IM for `Training HM dungeon` also? funny..

Some people with hardcore farming would tend to buy high-end material rather than strugling with learning-run, its not because they want the easy way, but its how their point of view, some people think that effective way,
    including elitist, they wont accept condition which is strugling for them.
  • Remove item xp, And gold for enchantement on this region , I prefer to fail 150 times with cheap and easy materials to get than spend 400% more time just for have a chance to upgrade.

Before =Alkahest and Feedstock. Only two things to worry players.

Now = Golden talents golden darics, golden plates, silver siglos, silver plates, silver talents, gold, gems ,shappire, ruby, diamond, emerald. Item xp , talents, I bet soon will be even a new thing called roll tokens to make things even more harder than before.

You made the game too demanding in time to progress even for low levels.
    New gear system should be hard only for super high tiers not for any tier.

When you put a person to play the game for months without see progress, people leave and spend money in games where they can play without wait. Is the rule number 1 in games now if a company want money.
    Gatokatzen wrote: »
    Remove item xp, And gold for enchantement on this region , I prefer to fail 150 times with cheap and easy materials to get than spend 400% more time just for have a chance to upgrade.

Before =Alkahest and Feedstock. Only two things to worry players.

Now = Golden talents golden darics, golden plates, silver siglos, silver plates, silver talents, gold, gems ,shappire, ruby, diamond, emerald. Item xp , talents, I bet soon will be even a new thing called roll tokens to make things even more harder than before.

You made the game too demanding in time to progress even for low levels.
    New gear system should be hard only for super high tiers not for any tier.

When you put a person to play the game for months without see progress, people leave and spend money in games where they can play without wait. Is the rule number 1 in games now if a company want money.

Wrong topic, god.
  • Kira98Kira98 ✭✭✭
    Come EU, we have cookies and lolis with learning runs :^)