[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Looting Rules and Auto-loot Pets

I have seen other players or their auto-loot pets run up to and pick up loot from something I just killed before I got to it. I thought there was a time limit on unclaimed loot before anyone can pick it up instead of just the killer. Because of that, I am looking for a good auto-loot pet, and, since I am new, a cheap one for my entire account. Some questions:

-- How can another player run up and take the loot from something I just killed? I cannot pick up loot I find abandoned until a certain time passes.

-- If two random players attack the same target, do both players have equal access to the loot without having to be in the same party, or is it the one who got the kill hit who gets the loot?

-- Do auto-loot pets steal loot from other players before the time limit is up and the loot is free-for-all?

-- What is a good auto-loot pet I can get for all characters on my account without buying one for each?

-- Some pet info in the Store says "One Character Only" -- if it doesn't say that, is it for all characters on the same account?

-- If you have a pet or mount for the entire account and add a new character to the account later, would the new character also get that pet/mount?

-- I read that you can get some auto-loot pets in the game by"Achievements". How? And what are "Achievements"?

-- I got two free pets (tailed frogs) in the game that I think only carries HP and MP potions. How do I look at the pet info and see what exactly they can do and how to use them?

-- Some info I read in the store said that permanent pets and mounts were bankable (temp mounts are not). Can you send a pet or mount to another character via your account bank? Or are they talking about the book you have to use to get the pet/mount and, once used, the pet is fixed with that character?

-- Some pets/mounts in the store say "One Character Only" and some say "For the Entire Account" -- if it doesn't say either one in the store info, which is it?

-- Many of the pets in the store say they have auto-loot -- do they all do it the same or are some better at auto-looting than others?

-- Many of the pets/mounts seem to do much the same thing (some of them do say in the info that the pet/mount does something that the others do not show). Is the major difference in these pets/mounts basically just the appearance?

I know that these are many basic questions, but, being new to these types of games, I want to know what I am getting before I buy something with real money from the store. Any help/info you can share with me will be appreciated. Thank you.

Best Answers

• NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Ok. Let me try to answer some. The way loot goes in game, if a player who is not on your party tries to pick loot, he won't be able to, even if the pet is seen running to your loot. It will just go to it and continue on, leaving your loot alone. If this has changed, then it may be a bug, but so far I haven't seen any change and others haven't been able to pick my loot so far. IF the other player is in your party (dungeons run in a party) then his pet or himself can pick the loot, but the system will do a dice roll to decide who actually gains said loot.

As pets go, those given for free by the system (gifted for an achievement usually) cannot be transferred, even as books. Pets from the cash shop and those you see on the broker can be transferred as books. Once you "use" the book, it's bound to the character and added to your "k" menu. Not all pets can auto loot. Some only use your own potions on you. So when buying a pet from the shop, make sure it's description includes auto loot.
  • LagIncarnateLagIncarnate ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    - Generally players can't pick up items from enemies you kill, auto-loot pets will attempt (but fail) to pick up your loot. There may be some extremely rare cases of random trash items not following loot rules, but it's not the norm.

- In order to loot, a player must be the first to tag the enemy, as well as deal at least 51% of the damage to the enemy, unless loot rules have changed since I last checked.

- Currently there are no permanent account-bound pets in the Tera store, account-bound items will explicitly state as such like this mount anything that does not state as such, you should assume is not account-bound.

- Account bound items can be obtained at any time, on any character past present or future, as long as it is on the same account.

- You can obtain some pets in-game via achievements, you can find them via the menu-bar on your screen when your mouse-cursor is active, along with the keybind for it. Albeit, to my knowledge, none of the pets obtained via the achievement system have auto-loot capability and are all purely cosmetic.

- You can view the tooltip for the pets in your skills list, as once learned they should up as skills with details as to what they do.

- Once the book used to learn a mount/pet is used, it is bound to that character and can not be transferred/retrieved in any way. You would have to obtain a new book (from the broker/store/account bound item claim if it's an account-bound item).

- Pets have a limited variety of functions, including auto-looting, auto-gathering (herbs/metals/essences), and auto-potion usage. The pet descriptions are the best place to find which pet does what functions.

- Mounts are all pretty much the same, with the only differences for the most part being whether they can fly or not. If a mount can fly, it normally states it can fly, or has a flight speed in the description.

- Certain mounts restore HP/MP while mounted, which is mostly a convenience effect. Some very expensive mounts will also provide buffs, and again state as such in their descriptions.
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Ranse wrote: »
    I have seen other players or their auto-loot pets run up to and pick up loot from something I just killed before I got to it. I thought there was a time limit on unclaimed loot before anyone can pick it up instead of just the killer. Because of that, I am looking for a good auto-loot pet, and, since I am new, a cheap one for my entire account. Some questions:

-- How can another player run up and take the loot from something I just killed? I cannot pick up loot I find abandoned until a certain time passes.
    That's exactly what's happening. Outside of a party, there's a timer before a dropped item goes free-for-all (I'm not sure how long that is).
    -- If two random players attack the same target, do both players have equal access to the loot without having to be in the same party, or is it the one who got the kill hit who gets the loot?
    This is a weird one. In my experience, it's the player who got the first hit who gets the kill and drops. Some say it's who do the most damage, others say it's whoever got the killing blow. (shurgs)
    -- Do auto-loot pets steal loot from other players before the time limit is up and the loot is free-for-all?
    Not unless you're in a party. Loot is labeled as free-for-all when the text is white for all people who have sight of the item in question.
    -- What is a good auto-loot pet I can get for all characters on my account without buying one for each?
    An account-bound loot pet? I don't think there ever was such a thing. Can someone else confirm this?
    -- Some pet info in the Store says "One Character Only" -- if it doesn't say that, is it for all characters on the same account?
    All items should be considered "one character only" unless otherwise specified.
    -- If you have a pet or mount for the entire account and add a new character to the account later, would the new character also get that pet/mount?
    Yes. All characters made on that same account will have access to those items. The new character may have to "learn" to use the item first.
    -- I read that you can get some auto-loot pets in the game by"Achievements". How? And what are "Achievements"?
    Achievements function similar to how they do on last-gen consoles - i.e. complete a specific task and you may get a little reward for it. Some mounts are tied to achievements (Sparky, Carmine, and the Moonsilk Rug), but I've never heard of a loot pet that can be gained from achievements.
    -- I got two free pets (tailed frogs) in the game that I think only carries HP and MP potions. How do I look at the pet info and see what exactly they can do and how to use them?
    Hover over the icon that summons the pet and it will give you a rough overview of how it works.
    -- Some info I read in the store said that permanent pets and mounts were bankable (temp mounts are not). Can you send a pet or mount to another character via your account bank? Or are they talking about the book you have to use to get the pet/mount and, once used, the pet is fixed with that character?
    The latter. Pets and mounts are tied to "skill books", sort of like in the Elder Scrolls games. Those skill books can be banked and/or traded, so you can put that in the bank, have another character "read it", and that mount or pet will then be applied to that character.
    -- Some pets/mounts in the store say "One Character Only" and some say "For the Entire Account" -- if it doesn't say either one in the store info, which is it?
    All items should be considered "one character only" unless otherwise specified.
    -- Many of the pets in the store say they have auto-loot -- do they all do it the same or are some better at auto-looting than others?
    All pets able to auto-loot do so in the same manner: they try to pick up and item, then go on to the next one. Do keep in mind that items and gold are considered separate objects - some pets will loot gold but not items and vice versa.
    -- Many of the pets/mounts seem to do much the same thing (some of them do say in the info that the pet/mount does something that the others do not show). Is the major difference in these pets/mounts basically just the appearance?
    Generally, no, there is no difference. Where one pet will differ from another outside of appearance is the combination of perks they have. The base pets (ones gained from achievement completion) are only there for appearances. Felicity can auto-gather resources at an accelerated rate and with lowered PP cost, but she can't loot. The popori pups can't gather nor loot. The new Dakuryon pet can loot items and gold, but can't gather. And so on, and so on.

Make sure to do your research and choose a pet that has whatever perks you want so you don't make unnecessary purchases (like some of us (cough)).
    I know that these are many basic questions, but, being new to these types of games, I want to know what I am getting before I buy something with real money from the store. Any help/info you can share with me will be appreciated. Thank you.
    Not a problem. EME could stand to update the store a bit with how purchases work anyway. :tongue:

Answers

• I would like to thank each and every one of you who answered -- your replies were extremely helpful. You make the game so much better with your friendly help. Again, thank you.