[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

A truly terrifying prospect

I know it's not the end of the month - but it's close enough considering the patch is behind us, and the 'influx' of players a new patch brings will have already come back to the game if they were going to.

Some one please correct me if I'm wrong - because I would love to be wrong - but from what I can recall, this patch, Awakening 2, was the first time Tera has *NOT* gained even a small portion of new players post-patch - and instead has continued to keep losing players month after month.

And before anyone chimes in with the hollow, tried, and mind-numbingly redundant cliche, "Steam Charts doesn't count because it doesn't include or represent stand-alone-launcher users!" - Think of it this way, it represents a verified, cite-worthy data point that indicates at least a portion of the player base - and from there we can extrapolate whatever portion of the player base you think steam represents to encompass the players as a whole. Steam only represents 1/3 of the players you say?

Okay then - for every one player lost, it's safe to assume, without concrete data to prove otherwise - that we will have lost two stand-alone users as well. Data samples are a #$%^ like that.

But just take a look at steam charts: https://steamcharts.com/app/323370#1m

As of writing this post - Tera is down a measurable 63.6 players from the start of the month - this INCLUDES the players that would have come back for the awakening patch.

Total player count aside - This is an absolutely terrifying prospect. This game, despite having a "large" (I hesitate to use the word) update dropped on it - has not only not gained a significant number of new players - it has continued to lose players.

This coming around the time people are moving to EU, showing evidence of dead/inactive servers, and the SEA region opening next month makes me extremely worried about the well-being of Tera in NA in the near and far future. Not to be a doom-monger or anything, but seeing as a well-known patch like Awakening has just landed and we've not seen an increase in player count - this I believe is the first time this has ever happened to this game.

And this is not a 'first' you want to celebrate.

Comments

• DvsvDvsv ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you ask me, the stats for players that play without steam is way more grim cuz i'm pretty sure a big chunk of them was pr0xy users...

Anyway, 2018 was a horrible year for NA Tera, too many bad decisions from both EME and BHS.
    I wonder how long this game stay profitable cuz a huge drop in overall player numbers prob also mean a drop in paying consumers too (as we can see by constant rising EMP prices?)..
    Imho Tera nowadays is just another korean grind simulator..
  • Vy1ViviVy1Vivi ✭✭✭
    Well how can you tell exactly how many active players there are? No steam charts.

Just from looking around alone I can tell the game definitely isn't as populated as it used to be when I played five years ago, but I'd like to see some actual numbers, because I'm curious myself.

Though given the current state of the game I'm not surprised. Hell, they have more items in their 'loot-box' section of the CS than the direct-buy costumes section its sickening. That's one bad business practice to turnoff plenty of players.
  • have not played much since material nerfs
  • I dont understand either how Tera's management team still thinks everything is fine. We gave feed back but its completely ignored or turned into a p2w scam. Shame. Tera NA shame.
  • Anyone want to invest into stormcry to feel mediocre? Try selling that to new players.

Anyone want to spend a week of grinding gold for a 10% chance to enchant heroic +1-3?

Anyone want to play a game with most of the active endgame players gone?
  • well Since stormcry where turned in to new mid tier gear but remain epic expensive.
    I don’t want to waste Ages getting 400.000 item xd . Better wait till heroic 9+ be released, for now game has , no events , no rewards. No people to play.
  • Bump

I really like we’re owed SOME kind of response from Eme. The fact that they’ve chose to completely ignore this situation is extremely unprofessional and a horrible pr move.
  • CS/FWC and Gridiron seem more active now but players need more incentive to do dungeons as well so i hope that we will get more events for PvP and PvE that are focused more on dungeons and battlegrounds.

At the same time, i also hope that there will be extra small things added such as a potion for slaying and many other things that can make the game more interesting.
  • LinXiaoXingLinXiaoXing Jakarta, Indonesia ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In fact that.. in higher level base of players.. TERA produce so many players that tend to be `Elitist`,

Elitist = Is an `act` or `behavior` of players which is tend to be feel `superior` because have a better gear, better skills, better experience, better reflexes, or better in everything, in result they would become `picky` and `discrimination`.
    (Elitist is an act or behavior, not amount of how high your gear or skills is).

TERA end-game content become `anomaly` of players behavior, and `high pressure` for your `psychologic`
    So.., nothing left in TERA end-game content, besides that thing.
    and TERA is `lesser fun` to play, because seems to be every players in TERA forget some thing that called `fun`.
  • P2WP2W ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In fact that.. in higher level base of players.. TERA produce so many players that tend to be `Elitist`,

Elitist = Is an `act` or `behavior` of players which is tend to be feel `superior` because have a better gear, better skills, better experience, better reflexes, or better in everything, in result they would become `picky` and `discrimination`.
    (Elitist is an act or behavior, not amount of how high your gear or skills is).

TERA end-game content become `anomaly` of players behavior, and `high pressure` for your `psychologic`
    So.., nothing left in TERA end-game content, besides that thing.
    and TERA is `lesser fun` to play, because seems to be every players in TERA forget some thing that called `fun`.

Tera isn't the only game that have elitist. You have that in every game and IRL too. But it's hard to have fun when you have to grind nonstop to progress. Then it kind of feels like work/job.
  • JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭
    At this point I'm pretty sure EME is either in complete panic mode and isn't responding here because they have no answer to the absolute f'kery they've delved into these past months, and know nothing they say will make the situation any better. Or they legit just don't care about this game or this community any more and probably just plan to continue as planned doing nothing and let this whole thing pass over.

• NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerichow wrote: »
    At this point I'm pretty sure EME is either in complete panic mode and isn't responding here because they have no answer to the absolute f'kery they've delved into these past months, and know nothing they say will make the situation any better. Or they legit just don't care about this game or this community any more and probably just plan to continue as planned doing nothing and let this whole thing pass over.

It's sad because all the answers to their problems are documented more than enough within these forums. All they need to do is read!
  • The sooner you accept that Tera is in a death spiral, the easier it will be to accept when it finally happens.

I'm an open beta player. I've been here since the very beginning, through all the patches and staff shufflings, and I can say that NA Tera has never been in a WORSE state. That elite status that I've had since the game went free to play is now canceled, given that my entire guild has either jumped ship or quit entirely.

And this is entirely EME'S fault. They ignored every warning sign, ignored every recommendation, and made decisions that alienated the players that kept the lights on. There's no taking it back, those players aren't going to return. Tera has already passed the life expectancy for niche Asian MMOs, so don't expect there to ever be an influx of new players into this (old) game that never had any of its most pressing issues fixed.

Once that elite was canceled, moving on wasn't too hard.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sooner you accept that Tera is in a death spiral, the easier it will be to accept when it finally happens.

I'm an open beta player. I've been here since the very beginning, through all the patches and staff shufflings, and I can say that NA Tera has never been in a WORSE state. That elite status that I've had since the game went free to play is now canceled, given that my entire guild has either jumped ship or quit entirely.

And this is entirely EME'S fault. They ignored every warning sign, ignored every recommendation, and made decisions that alienated the players that kept the lights on. There's no taking it back, those players aren't going to return. Tera has already passed the life expectancy for niche Asian MMOs, so don't expect there to ever be an influx of new players into this (old) game that never had any of its most pressing issues fixed.

Once that elite was canceled, moving on wasn't too hard.

Yeah. This is something people have to accept. Be it from bad decisions or from people simply losing interest in a product, most of these games close their doors sooner or later (all but WoW because those freaks are immortal!). I have already been to quite a few game closures. It's sad indeed, but one gets hardened and used to it.

Now, the case of EME is a bit worse, since there's a very real chance for them to be forced to disband too. I mean, at least from my experiences in Kritika, they have similar issues of lack of trust, alienating decisions and general distancing from their player base, which brings to the result of having people leaving that game in considerable amounts. With that track record, I wouldn't be surprised if the situation with Closers is the same.

And the worse is, the way EME have alienated some people, not only will they not be missed. Some will be actually quite happy to see them go. And that's the worst way to go in my opinion.