[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Dueling Info

I just got a level 10 quest from Haidehr in Velika to fight a duel with another player, which, it seems to me by reading it, he will provide there on the spot for us to fight i if I accept it. I am on the Velike server, which says PvE -- the other server (name not remembered) is labeled PvP. Is there a cap in that quest from Haidehr (I searched the TERA Wiki for as much info as I could find, and it was very little)? How do I know that, if I do the quest, Haidehr won't put in a level 65 against me there? Or is the quest done if I fight any duel with any player anywhere later in the game?

For a normal duel, if challenged, I can look at that player's info and then chose to accept or decline, right? I was challenged a few times very shortly after just entering the PvE server (Velike) for the very first time and declined them because I hadn't yet learned the UI and didn't know anything about dueling. Not knowing the game then (and I am still only about 50% up to speed even now), I didn't know how to check them out beforehand, so I didn't accept them.

It says duels have to be accepted, unlike brawls. Does that mean I can be somewhere and suddenly have a level 65 attack me in a brawl? Or is that only for the PvP server? Or are brawls in only certain areas of either server?

If I create a character on the PvP server, I guess there are safeguards for new characters, or can I, as soon as my new character appears, be attacked by a level 10+? Are there safe zones/areas where PvP is challenge only in the PvP server, or is the whole server a free-for-all?

The TERA Wiki has very little info on how the game systems, items, and quests works, as far I as I can find it. I am getting drops and getting gifts of stuff I have no idea what they are even for or how to use them. I even googled these questions and got very little info on the subjects from the whole internet itself -- most of the hits referred me to this Forum, which I now use as my main info point. I thank you now for the help answering these questions. I appreciate it.

Best Answers

• KXRC9JMW74KXRC9JMW74 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    PVP is LVL 65 only. You cannot be killed by anyone. It is not a free for all
  • RanseRanse ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Addendum -- The Haidehr quest in Velika is just an info quest only, I discovered -- you do not have to fight a duel to finish his quest.
  • XandervbXandervb ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018 Accepted Answer
    There is no level limit for any quest in Tera (except some useless repeatable dailies). You can keep the quest in your journal or you can challenge anyone to a duel to get the quest done, even level 65 (just right click the player and choose "duel"). You can't die in a duel and there are no penalties for losing.

Basically, on PvE server the only option of open world PvP is either through duel or guild conflict. The only PvP-enabled zones are PvP battlegrounds separate from open world.

"Brawl" is a very poor explanation for PvP flag. That 65-lvl skill is exclusive to PvP server and allows you to flag yourself as "hostile", making you able to target, damage and kill other player.

Note that even on PvP server, it is impossible to attack pre-65 player, so until lvl 65 there is no difference between PvP and PvE server. It was a controversial change that happened some time ago to prevent ganking newbies - so now the only pre-65 PvP interaction is harmless duel that needs to be accepted by both players.

I wouldn't suggest engaging in any kind of PvP prior to lvl 65 - progression trees are currently extremely unbalanced between classes, so class that gets their core PvP skills early on will effortlessly destroy any other.

EDIT: If you are on PvP server, whole world is a PvP safezone, and when you reach 65 you still have a safezone inside cities, near dungeon entrances and in major farming areas. This is a game that highly limits and disencourages open world PvP.

As for quests, it's much faster to level up doing solely dungeons from 20 to 60 and then doing lvl 60-65 questline (unless you want to enjoy storyline). Grinding Dungeons let you reach lvl 60 in a day or two vs. maybe around a week with quests. 95% of content is on lvl 65 and nowadays leveling is considered more of an extended tutorial.

Answers

• Vy1ViviVy1Vivi ✭✭✭
    Even if you are on the PvP server (Kaitor) PvP is pretty much dead so you have nothing to worry about. 95% of the map is safe-zoned, that's why.

Back in my day EVERYWHERE was an open PvP zone except for cities, towns, and small encampments scattered about. And from level 1 you could engage in any kind of PvP in the open world; that included getting PK'd/griefed by players higher level than you. It was common to see zergs and GvGs out in the world too.

My how Tera has changed.
  • @Vy1Vivi said:
    Back in my day EVERYWHERE was an open PvP zone except for cities, towns, and small encampments scattered about. And from level 1 you could engage in any kind of PvP in the open world; that included getting PK'd/griefed by players higher level than you. It was common to see zergs and GvGs out in the world too.

My how Tera has changed.

Oh the pain. I can’t even describe the excitement I felt creating my first character and seeing all the little elins popos casta and elves all over the ground on the beautiful island of dawn. Someone summoned an IBam ( the old alliance bam) and wiped the leveling area. Twas love at first wipe