Don't copy content from other games.

TERA has things going for it, a lot less in the last couple of years but it still has some things. The worst thing you can do is copy another baddie Korean game.

Revamp BAMS, make new BAMS. People that play Black Desert want to AFK fish most people that play TERA actually want to PLAY a game. You should be working on your strengths not trying to be like what is frankly one of the worst MMOs out there.

Comments

• black desert is not the only game has fishing skills example... metin2 from 2004..
  • even world of warcraft has fishing i think
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warframe has Fishing, and its pretty good.
  • UnitedStrafesUnitedStrafes ✭✭✭
    edited December 5
    black desert is not the only game has fishing skills example... metin2 from 2004..
    Ya was more referring to games that have actually been played.
    even world of warcraft has fishing i think
    Ya so does Nier Automata. So do a lot of games.
    Zoknahal wrote: »
    Warframe has Fishing, and its pretty good.
    Another game with fishing, except you have to actually play the game, unlike Black Desert where you hit the spacebar and go to bed.

• voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5
    I enjoy BDO, but I agree with your overall sentiment.

The sad truth is TERA has been trying to copy other games in the genre for years now. I can't find the exact quote so don't hate on me too much, but when campfires and charms were removed from the game, one of the reasons for it was to both streamline tera and to make it more like modern MMOs. I swear I remember reading a translated article where a Korean exec actually said that world of warcraft didn't have campfires, so tera doesn't need that kind of superfluous fluff either. You see it everywhere. Look at the UI. Sure, some will tell you it's optimized and blablabla, but they didn't need to change the design this much to get an optimized UI. Their design was undoubtedly driven by a desire to make tera's user interface resemble every other bland MMO on the market. For reference, here's the Bless UI. Look familiar? It's not unique to Bless, either. So many games use that tired generic looking setup.

And now here we are with fishing. I won't judge it 'til it's out, but yeah. If all the other non-dungeon "extracurricular" activities in this game are an indication (reputation dailies, crafting dyes, bamarama, the overworld in general) then fishing will join them as another system that was implemented, enjoyed for a month, and then quickly abandoned in favor of activities that take advantage of tera's unique combat system.

I want to slap the devs sometimes for what they've done to this game. The uniqueness and the quirks were what made it stand out. The MMO genre is in a terrible state right now because most MMOs are bad; stop copying them. Removing the old cosmetic armor system in favor of a bland fashion coupon shop (which went on to be abandoned for years until a much needed revamp relatively recently) was the start on a long line of homogenization, like removing campfires, removing charms, failing to update reputation daily shops to make the overworld worth participating in, letting people simply warp to a dungeon entrance so that everyone can just afk in Velika/Highwatch and never actually set up a hub anywhere else, etc.

• YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    voidy wrote: »

The sad truth is TERA has been trying to copy other games in the genre for years now. I can't find the exact quote so don't hate on me too much, but when campfires and charms were removed from the game, one of the reasons for it was to both streamline tera and to make it more like modern MMOs. I swear I remember reading a translated article where a Korean exec actually said that world of warcraft didn't have campfires, so tera doesn't need that kind of superfluous fluff either. You see it everywhere. Look at the UI. Sure, some will tell you it's optimized and blablabla, but they didn't need to change the design this much to get an optimized UI. Their design was undoubtedly driven by a desire to make tera's user interface resemble every other bland MMO on the market. For reference, here's the Bless UI. Look familiar? It's not unique to Bless, either. So many games use that tired generic looking setup.

And now here we are with fishing. I won't judge it 'til it's out, but yeah. If all the other non-dungeon "extracurricular" activities in this game are an indication (reputation dailies, crafting dyes, bamarama, the overworld in general) then fishing will join them as another system that was implemented, enjoyed for a month, and then quickly abandoned in favor of activities that take advantage of tera's unique combat system.

I want to slap the devs sometimes for what they've done to this game. The uniqueness and the quirks were what made it stand out. The MMO genre is in a terrible state right now because most MMOs are bad; stop copying them. Removing the old cosmetic armor system in favor of a bland fashion coupon shop (which went on to be abandoned for years until a much needed revamp relatively recently) was the start on a long line of homogenization, like removing campfires, removing charms, failing to update reputation daily shops to make the overworld worth participating in, letting people simply warp to a dungeon entrance so that everyone can just afk in Velika/Highwatch and never actually set up a hub anywhere else, etc.

Campfire system was removed because it felt bad to wait and then people would just use consumables to avoid it, the intention of having them was to promote player interaction while you waited between bosses [being social]. The system didn't achieve this since you either had groups using consumables to avoid it, clueless people ignoring it, or people just alt tabbing anyways. This meant it was a pointless inconvenience that took away from just enjoying the combat [also why consumables got simplified]. Being different for the sake of being different isn't a good thing.
  • MaulclawMaulclaw ✭✭✭
    black desert is not the only game has fishing skills example... metin2 from 2004..

Wow, someone remembers Metin 2.
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5
    Yamazuki wrote: »
    voidy wrote: »

Campfire system was removed because it felt bad to wait and then people would just use consumables to avoid it, the intention of having them was to promote player interaction while you waited between bosses [being social]. The system didn't achieve this since you either had groups using consumables to avoid it, clueless people ignoring it, or people just alt tabbing anyways. This meant it was a pointless inconvenience that took away from just enjoying the combat [also why consumables got simplified]. Being different for the sake of being different isn't a good thing.

Don't get me wrong. From a purely utilitarian standpoint, I prefer just popping a nostrum. But campfires were a cool thing even on a cosmetic level, especially on the roleplay server. They should have kept them in the game as a cosmetic thing, even if they were useless from a utility standpoint, if only to let people use them and sit around them. No reason to remove it completely like that, but they did it anyway. Campfires are just one example of many that I listed, and it's probably the weakest example to boot, so I'm not gonna get hung up over it.

Point is, BHS removes or neglects "fluff" elements of their game in favor of streamlining and assimilating to genre standards. Now they have a game that's super bare bones with nothing going for it except the fast paced action combat, and their answer to that problem is fishing -- an activity that is the antithesis of fast and action paced. It just looks dull, and unless the rewards are incredible and change regularly to avoid oversaturation in the marketplace, I can see it being abandoned in a month. But hey, at least we have fishing now! We're just like the other MMOs! xD!
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have preferred other action based activities, like a return of tank combat, mount races (GW2 has some and are kind of fun)(maybe add a boost feature to ground mounts for that purpose), or if fishing, make it more active like warframe, even if we are also taking stuff from other games here.

....but then again, what's with all this surge of fishing in games? WF has it, Kritika has it, now tera.. has any fishing association been pushing some agenda to promote that sport?
  • DvsvDvsv ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5
    The only thing BHS want with Tera is to make the game into a generic korean cash grab with new broken af classes and more non viable grinding each patch.
    They're clueless, almost every "revamp" or change they made since 2015 actually made the game worse!
    If what they did in the past 2~3 years are so good why we got only 2 servers now and like 1/4 of the player pop?

I remember the first "crafting revamp" when they removed campfire, they completely destroyed gathering and entirely gutted crafting.
    Then fast foward ~1 year, we got that garbage gearing revamp (imho one of the biggest mistake on Tera) that turned crafting into this ultra boring thing where we waste hundreds thousands of gold in recipes so we can AFK for hours converting thousands of mats!
    Fast foward 1 more year and now here we are with them changing crafting again hahaha, i bet that it'll be somehow worse and more grindy for the players!
    Heck just look what they're doing with that new pvp gear bs: 2015-2016 pvp gear, 2017-2018 no pvp gear, 2019 return of pvp gear, wtf is this even the same developer???
  • HLK76PFWXTHLK76PFWXT ✭✭✭
    edited December 5
    What bothers me is that players can AFK while fishing and still get rewards more or less as Black Desert works...

Actually, we might end up doing as much gold per hour being AFK as being active ( then we come back and fail a few times at enchanting and go AFK again ).

This game.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5
    Dvsv wrote: »
    The only thing BHS want with Tera is to make the game into a generic korean cash grab with new broken af classes and more non viable grinding each patch.
    They're clueless, almost every "revamp" or change they made since 2015 actually made the game worse!
    If what they did in the past 2~3 years are so good why we got only 2 servers now and like 1/4 of the player pop?

I remember the first "crafting revamp" when they removed campfire, they completely destroyed gathering and entirely gutted crafting.
    Then fast foward ~1 year, we got that garbage gearing revamp (imho one of the biggest mistake on Tera) that turned crafting into this ultra boring thing where we waste hundreds thousands of gold in recipes so we can AFK for hours converting thousands of mats!
    Fast foward 1 more year and now here we are with them changing crafting again hahaha, i bet that it'll be somehow worse and more grindy for the players!
    Heck just look what they're doing with that new pvp gear bs: 2015-2016 pvp gear, 2017-2018 no pvp gear, 2019 return of pvp gear, wtf is this even the same developer???

What I wonder is why people keep playing this games to begin with, if they are all as bad as some people state... Maybe the West should commit themselves to finally bury the MMO genre forever and make it be an East-only thing.
  • EllexemEllexem ✭✭✭
    The AFK option for fishing, as described, is pretty much just cooking base material farming. How is that any different from popping a Felicity and letting it auto-gather for you at something like Rootstock? (Outside of it not being a premium item required and that you can outright gear a fishing rod optimized for it, if that is what you want.)

The Rootstock gathering comparison seems especially fitting since the foods that you can make largely ape the Rootstock ones anyway. Which, I would expect, will have it so that foods will now be treated as mandatory for all content, since they'll be easier to attain. (Or as mandatory as a Nostrum/Battle Solution anyway.) Something that is likely to keep the fishing system viable in general as well. (Also likely going to crater the Rootstock food market, but that will depend on the cost to make. Not that it would be anything new to have something non-cash shop, that players used for profit, get obliterated.)

Any of the actual bigger fish, that are supposed to be worth more or whatever, are not going to get caught while you AFK it, as far as I understand it. So if you want to profit from the thing, to do those daily turn-ins, then you aren't going to be able to AFK it anyway.

I really don't think that we can say that the AFK portion is what is bad about the fishing system. We'll need to see how the rest of it works before we can decry it as another waste of time or not at all building on the action combat aspects. (To be clear, I don't really expect much from it, but the AFK portion really doesn't come across as the part that would be horrible. It seems like it'll instead be the part with the most boon to the playerbase, since it'll make sure that the foods will be more readily available, making everyone stronger for the other activities, raising the baseline, as it were.)
  • I have forgot about something since i am now on the PvE server.

It might be possible to Outlaw and PK the AFK fishers at the Kaiator server? "evil grin"

• ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt call it copying content from other games, more like, Fishing and other activities are becoming more common and pretty much the streamline of MMOs.

BDO, WoW, Warframe and TERA arent the first ones to have fishing as a side activity. If you remember, around the time when TERA was still Pay to Play, There was a nice little game called Lunia. This game had fishing already as their side activity. Sadly the game shut down. But as you can see, The games mentioned already arent the first ones to "copy" content of other games.

If anything, we will see if TERA fishing is actually an activity you have to do while online, or if you can AFK Fish. I am already interested in the rotting mechanic of the fishing in TERA, so you cannot store copious amount of fish for a later resale, you either use them, or use them. This is actually really nice to my opinion.