[PC] Maintenance is completed!

Launcher won't start game

I went as far a deleting all the Steam and Tera files associated with the game and doing a fresh install. But still when I click the launcher, it 'thinks' a few seconds and then nothing. I've tried starting it from Steam and from its own file, tried starting it as an administrator, even starting it after disabling the network ... all the same non-starter.

Comments

• Most likely reason is that it's blocked from talking to the patch server. Someone mentioned something like this on Discord recently and they said it was being blocked by their anti-virus for some reason. If that's the case, I would send in a ticket with info about your AV brand so they can try to get it worked out.
  • Same problem here. got any solution for playing tera?
  • Here the steps to getting the launcher to start the game
    I know there's alot of people with the problem if you follow these steps it will run. No redownloading the client or reinstalling or any of that.

1: Reactivate Task Scheduler & all it's dependencies from services.msc - turn off and turn on or turn on if off
    2: Once that is activated Google update will updated Google chrome instantly.
    3: From windows search bar type CMD right click it run as admin then type sfc /scannow & let it run - This will fix alot of problems
    4: Defrag your drives
    5: From services.msc stop the Steam Client service then restart it & make sure it's running at start up. - Don't disable any Steam startup programs
    6: Run Contig64 inside the TERA folder. - To do this goto https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/contig
    Follow the instructions copy Contig64 into the TERA folder create a shortcut place it on the desktop followed by -s at the end & run.
    7: Make sure you have over 65GB of free space on your drives - clear browser cache - uninstall programs
    8 Run mystring=(80000000) - open notepad put that in & save it as filename.vbe then run it
    9: Make a .bat by opening notepad putting this in and saving it as filename.bat
    @echo off
    del /s /f /q c:\windows\temp\*.*
    rd /s /q c:\windows\temp
    md c:\windows\temp
    del /s /f /q C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
    del /s /f /q %temp%\*.*
    rd /s /q %temp%
    md %temp%
    deltree /y c:\windows\tempor~1
    deltree /y c:\windows\temp
    deltree /y c:\windows\tmp
    deltree /y c:\windows\ff*.tmp
    deltree /y c:\windows\history
    deltree /y c:\windows\cookies
    deltree /y c:\windows\recent
    deltree /y c:\windows\spool\printers
    del c:\WIN386.SWP
    cls
  • I'm really not sure the above is a great idea or is likely to fix it. It's just basically "try random things" -- scanning the drive for bad clusters, defragmenting the folders, deleting a whole bunch of temp files/folders that may be needed by other things still running... and I don't really understand what updating Google Chrome or Task Scheduler or the mystring=(80000000) have to do with anything.

The things I would recommend would be:
    1) restarting all the things (PC, modem, router, etc.)
    2) try deleting Live2-Launcher.version to force the patcher to try updating itself
    3) reinstalling the launcher through the download link on the website (and/or doing an integrity check through Steam if you installed there)
    4) try temporarily disabling your antivirus/software firewall/etc. to see if that changes anything
    5) send in your Diag info (run EMEDiag) and launcher.log file (in your install folder) and send to EME in a ticket and wait for their advice on other things to try
  • Same problem Little Black window opens takes a few secs then all shuts down. I played 2 days then this started, I spent a few days trying so many things to fix it, talked with GM's and nothing worked, then I did a windows update and the computer reset....it started working again, I got to enjoy it for one hour then went to bed after shutting down.....the next day all pumped for play....I went to log on.. same thing was happening... while the computer was shut down something changed that made it not work..... soooo.. wth... does anyone have an actual fix for this Debacle?

I do enjoy this game and had planned on playing in in a Gaming binge ... as is, it's just taking up space... ALL other games from LoL to ESO and Riders of icarus work just fine. The Diagnostic says My port does not connect, everything else is green, I was told it must be my internet... yet I can play any of the 50 other games I have just fine...Something is wrong in the Code of the installer, something has to be addressed....this has been an issue for players for what I can see in forums half a decade... soooo..what... no ones got an answer?

• edited September 12

@Sesomelia said:
    Something is wrong in the Code of the installer, something has to be addressed....this has been an issue for players for what I can see in forums half a decade... soooo..what... no ones got an answer?

This launcher hasn't even existed that long, but of course there will always be some sort of launcher problem related to something or another. Search forums and you'll find launcher issues for every MMO going back years because it tends to be related to something specific about the computer or connection that's causing it.

I recommend to keep on working with support until the issue is fixed. Some people have suggested that some Windows Updates that were installed in this week's Windows 10 Patch Tuesday updates may be causing issues for some people. Haven't yet confirmed that this is the case, but it is possible. It could be these updates in combination with something else on the system, but who knows what.

I was told it must be my internet... yet I can play any of the 50 other games I have just fine...

A problem can happen due to routing that would mean you can connect to other servers but the launcher can't connect to the EME login server. I have seen that happen to people in the past, but it's not necessarily what's happening to you, particularly given that you can login to the forum.

• pikpatsoupikpatsou ✭✭
    edited September 12

I had such an issue long time ago, when i formatted my PC (only the system win drive).
    After format, the TERA EU was conecting normally but the NA wasn't.

I tried flush DNS, disabled firewalls and antivirus, defragment, re-install TERA NA....all unsuccesfully

The only thing that worked and solved the connection issues, was to delete the "hosts" file and reboot PC

The hosts file location path is the following \Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\

Could be the same issue with different conditions. You can try it

• I originally had an issue with the new launcher not launching the game (you hit play and you'd see the circles spinning for a short while but the game would never launch; old launcher continued working fine). Reinstalling the launcher and even trying to manually relocate the game again didn't work (it would update and show the patch/build version fine). I also have the game installed under Steam and updated the launcher for that to the new one and it worked fine from there. I managed to get my non-Steam install working with the new launcher by deleting en.meta.json and tera.meta.json (these are recreated when launching the game) from the TERA/Client folder and running the new launcher again.

It's probably not a solution for everyone though.