[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Lag everywhere

2»

Comments

• I am in the DFW area and have not been experiencing any lag since.
  • Zayo is a mid-mile connectivity provider and has a multitude of service layers (e.g., SONET, Dark Fiber, Ethernet, Wavelengths, etc) all offering many different levels of latency and bandwidth. Their services are are available to ISP's, cell providers, educational institutions, business of all sizes, etc.

It is interesting what you may find when you search for zayo case studies. One such example by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (a sub-organization of the Department of Commerce).

Zayo has also grown due to a number of acquisitions, such as Latis in 2015 for $675M, Electric Lighwave in 2017 for $1.42B. To date there have been a dozen or so acquisitions by Zayo since its founding in 2007.

What does this all tell me? That Zayo is quite competent, reliable with many service offerings at varying price points.

With all of this in mind I propose that EME either chose the wrong service offering or went on the cheap side of services; potentially EME not having proper network and professional engineers to understand the scope of their needs.

I do not work for Zayo or any network provider.
  • Its definitely improved from yesterday. Tonight I was able to do several dungeons with no lag. Not sure what is going on, but I can only hope whatever it is they - EME, Zayo, whatever can figure it all out.
  • edited December 2018
    What does this all tell me? That Zayo is quite competent, reliable with many service offerings at varying price points.

With all of this in mind I propose that EME either chose the wrong service offering or went on the cheap side of services; potentially EME not having proper network and professional engineers to understand the scope of their needs.

I think you've made a bit of a large leap. Zayo does sell a variety of services, but in this case there's only one for this sort of situation: peering over their network. And the scope of their needs isn't particularly mysterious: they host online games that are latency-sensitive, hence why it'd normally be advantageous to have a premium routing provider so that you have a single group to contact if something goes wrong. Zayo promised they could provide that service knowing full-well the sort of business EME is in. The only real question is whether the performance issues people have been experiencing (e.g. last night) are outside the SLA, and whether the amount of issues warrant switching to another provider. But, even if you do that, it's not as though any other company is going to be 100% better for all either (Level3, NTT, Cogent, GTT, Telia, etc. all cause problems for some people; you'll find people complaining of bad routes on each).

Anyway, I hope they will look at the data collected and use that as a renewed reason to look into other options (they did do experiments a few times before), but it's not as though they can just call Zayo and offer to pay them a bit more to not suck or something. This is a problem with Zayo's infrastructure itself and, as you say, they're already a major player in the market.
  • The only real question is whether the performance issues people have been experiencing (e.g. last night) are outside the SLA, and whether the amount of issues warrant switching to another provider. But, even if you do that, it's not as though any other company is going to be 100% better for all either (Level3, NTT, Cogent, GTT, Telia, etc. all cause problems for some people; you'll find people complaining of bad routes on each).

I do agree with you on the SLA; only EME and Zayo would know that. Yes, all other telecom providers have similar issues. This, however, is one reason why we choose at least two providers (so we can perform link aggregation). Another is for high availability and redundancy.
    Anyway, I hope they will look at the data collected and use that as a renewed reason to look into other options (they did do experiments a few times before), but it's not as though they can just call Zayo and offer to pay them a bit more to not suck or something. This is a problem with Zayo's infrastructure itself and, as you say, they're already a major player in the market.

I hope the same as well. However, they could call Zayo and have them pull their monitoring data (which, honestly, Zayo like any provider, should be using current prognostics, health and management tools anyway - but that is a different discussion). Zayo should be providing, at least, rolled up health data to EME. Of course, this may, again, be part of whatever contract was executed as well.

It would definitely help if EME were more transparent over the whole on-going issue. Asking people to submit route traces is a horrible idea. This is data they can obtain from Zayo, and should. I'm going to guess folks at EME just don't want to be bothered - or don't have the right personnel to do it.
  • UltemeciaUltemecia ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This, however, is one reason why we choose at least two providers (so we can perform link aggregation)

Depending on how EME's demarc is set up you wouldn't be able to do a LACP in that context. You could have redundancy, but a negligible speed increase if their current infrastructure didn't support it. In order to do so you'd have to have two seperate cards coming into a router that could support link aggregation. Even then I feel there'd be a lot more to it than that. I think you're thinking of link aggregation in the idea that if you had fiber between switch a and b but copper between b and c you could use two ports combined in LACP instead of one as a trunk to have a generally the same speed between A and C.