[PC] Naslow's Treasure Map Items have been temporarily disabled while we resolve an issue. We appreciate your patience and understanding!

In-Depth Guide for TERA on Linux: New Year's (and first) edition

This is an illustrated guide on how to get TERA up and running on Linux, achieving maximum performance and documenting several tweaks for usability and integration.

* Foreword
This guide is aimed towards people whom have grown fond of the Linux ecosystem, but still miss the Windows game, TERA. In fact, this guide can be followed to configure any DirectX9 game to their maximum integration with the Wine Windows Compatibility Layer, and to set up any game with Lutris.
Currently, in the meadows of 2019, most developers have been uneager to touch aging technologies such as DirectX9 to OpenGL translation, leaving them to be improved by people in the open-source community who care about playing those games. This is my contribution to them, and my recognition of their work. A formatted version of this guide should be available soon in Reddit and other places. I'll revisit it as time goes, too.

* Installation
We'll first download everything that you need.
Install the packages
wine winetricks
through your package manager or favourite app-store program. This is also going to pull important dependencies.
Download the TERA Launcher for Windows here.
Open the .exe with wine. It should already be the default option.

This is enough to get TERA downloaded, but that's not all what we want. You don't want to have your game be a slideshow, or just plain crash.
If you are looking for this guide, you probably already did it like this and are wondering why it didn't work, but if you didn't, you can disregard everything you just read and skip to the next section.

* Getting Lutris and putting TERA in it
Lutris is the biggest weapon in a Linux gamer's arsenal, unifying Steam, Native, and Windows games and being what PlayOnLinux wasn't. Follow the instructions in the web page here to get it on your system. Also get Wine Staging as instructed.
Excerpt from the lutris.net page:
Lutris is an open gaming platform for Linux. It helps you install and manage your games in a unified interface.
Our goal is to support every game which runs on Linux, from native to Windows games (via Wine) to emulators and browser games. The desktop application and the website are libre software, your contributions are welcome!
Lutris has installation scripts for various editions of TERA here, so you can get it running with one click. We don't want to get rid of your progress if you already downloaded the entire game, so you can still chill in with the guide. There's also a section just for optimization.
Now, let's say you already have TERA downloaded somewhere. All the big, fat gigabytes of it; you can manage all of that with Lutris.
First of all, find where TERA is installed. If you installed it normally on Linux, go to your home folder and navigate here (.wine is a hidden folder):
i1oeUuX.png
After having located your TERA Launcher folder, open Lutris.
rHbFlFz.png
Click the plus sign to manually add a game, and fill in the basics, such as the name: TERA.
On the Game Options tab, map everything as shown below, and create an empty folder with any name to be your wineprefix. Here, I chose "WINEṔ" to host TERA, then save it.
E0Uum7G.png
Now, back at the home Lutris screen, locate Wine under 'All Runners', right click on it, and select 'Manage versions'. A pop up will appear, scroll down to esync-staging-pba and download the 3.16 version. It will not work with newer, unless you upgrade to the tkg wine that is slower on DirectX9.
lq4J8sP.png
Once downloaded, restart Lutris so it automatically grabs you a fancy banner for TERA. Now, right click on the TERA banner, and select 'Configure'. Navigate to 'Runner Options' and select the wine we just downloaded under 'Wine version'.
This being said, you're ready to play the game. See the next section for optional optimization tweaks if you need them, or just want to learn more about Wine patches and Linux.

* Optimizing Wine for TERA
This part assumes you are now familliar getting around the Lutris interface. It's pretty intuitive, so you might get the hang of it like any other application.
Configure > Runner Options > Enable DXVK Ah, if only TERA was a DirectX12/11 game. Unfortunately, we can't use our shiny new Vulkan renderer with TERA. This option does not affect TERA.
Configure > Runner Options > Enable Esync Esync is a major performance boost for all games. See here how to set it up on the Lutris wiki.
Configure > Game Options > Prefix Architecture Set to 64-bit for a minor performance boost. You may need to make a new wineprefix folder for this.
Configure > System Options > Enable Feral gamemode see this and this. FERAL Gamemode activates several optimizations in the underlying Linux system while, and only while you are playing a game.
nS8PkfX.png
Close the launcher when the game starts For some reason, the Tera Launcher is a huge CPU hog and will steal an entire core from the actual game. Just as the splash screen appears, close the launcher. The game won't notice it, and you'll get a massive performance boost.

Comments

• edited December 2018
    I have a request.
    If you are a maintainer of this forum, see if this is applicable to be stickied. This guide took some effort and experimentation to make, and others may want to see this before it disappears into the other pages.

Edit: seeing as the post rate of this forum section is really low, this guide may not even need to be stickied, as it would probably be outdated by then.

• StevenAnthonyStevenAnthony ✭✭✭✭
    Very Thanks for the guide

Im finaly run tera under ubutub 18.04 since 2017

• dude this is perfect, yes I agree it should be permanent somewhere.

Set it to fav so I will try this later, tks again. good work.