[TERA Console] Patch notes for the upcoming v85.01 Update are now available. Preview all of the changes coming on August 11 here: https://bit.ly/TERACon_v85
[TERA PC] Patch Notes are now available for TERA's 64-bit update (v97). Check out all the changes coming on August 11 here: https://bit.ly/tera64_patchnotes
[TERA PC & CONSOLE] One week left in Summerfest, Part 1: Festival of the Sun! Part 2: The Beach Bash kicks off August 11. Participate in Summerfest activities to earn tokens redeemable for costumes, consumables, mounts, and more! Details: https://bit.ly/tera_sf20

Punishment for upgrading our fishing poles.

2»

Comments

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    So much flame. OMG!

Many people are playing this game with low fps. Hate to break it to y'all. You sit there so sanctimoniously telling me I should have no problems learning how to reel them in. Well, I do. No doubt a lot of others do as well. That is why I am being punished for upgrading MY rod.

Not only do we get to pay a super chunk of gems for each upgrade, we also have to use a consumable for a whopping 30 minutes of fishing time. My complaint is for a game that has no interest in optimizing itself, why make manual fishing so tough? Yes, I've moved around channels, and it does no good. The fps (or maybe ping? I dunno.) kills any chance I have of bringing in about 25% of the fish I catch, so again, manual fishing is mostly a waste. No, I don't plan to ever be able to catch a BAF ever. I get people love a challenge, but it's getting old. If you reel them in super fast, good for you! However, that's not the point I'm trying to make. It seems like most of you have pretty fancy systems, which I hate to break it to you, isn't what everyone has.

So, for those of us with simple systems, we get to manually fish till around upgrade 5 or 6. Then, it becomes nearly impossible to manually fish after that. Again, for those of us not on maxed systems in which we can play dozens of other high requirement games. Kind of sad I have to point this out, but wow, sometimes it's like people really do just care about themselves. Fish salad makes it easier, but again, it's just another punishment. If we have to start consuming it at level 5 for only 30 minutes, that's a chunk of gold lost not to mention the time spent in farming or crafting it. Plus, the cost in fillets alone makes crafting it for lower level fishing not worth it.

That's it for me folks. I have no interest to debate this issue or deal with the flame or ridicule. I just wanted to point out that I think it's kind of unfair. The fishing is exponentially harder, so there is a really big difference just going up one rod level. I would have thought that i'd be able to manually farm for at least a few more levels, but that is simply not the case.

BTW, no wonder BHS feels no need to optimize Tera. It has enough champions out there to defend it, so why even bother? Seriously, if you have no problems fishing, then you're fps must be fine, so if your fps is fine, then everyone's fps should be fine. Right?
  • Stitches1974Stitches1974 ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    A fancy system as you call it, doesn't matter. I have a $3,000 system and it performs no better than most others with how this game is optimized. I regularly get sub 30 FPS in Velika with not many around, but I can go to a major city in say WoW, with a boat load of people around and break 100FPS. Fishing in Cutthroat harbor and a barren channel will net me about 65FPS. Open world fighting BAMs, 80 FPS max. Open world fighting in WoW, 144 FPS and I put a cap on it. I play at 1440P resolution.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, my GM, who plays from Singapore on the US servers, who has a Xermetal rod 6, has no issues getting BAFs. He does say that he has spikes every now and then, though. Not sure what his computer consists of or what his frames are.

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat as @Stitches1974. My rig cost upwards of $2500USD and to this day, TERA is the only game that performs like mush. No amount of in-game option tweaks, SweetFX configs, or file edits keeps the game from chugging for no reason upon entering/moving around Velika/Highwatch. I can't tell you how many times the game has flat out crashed when all I did was look in the general direction of all the other people in the city.

That said, yes, higher tier fishing rods DO make fishing SLIGHTLY more difficult because you're STARTING with the high-tier big-d**k fish. I don't know if you've noticed, but T8 fish are more valuable - and thus harder to catch - than T1 fish.
  • @SageWindu

You have that crashing issue as well? It does that to me ONLY in HW or Velika and 90% by the broker/banker and arena person.
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SageWindu

You have that crashing issue as well? It does that to me ONLY in HW or Velika and 90% by the broker/banker and arena person.

Fortunately it doesn't happen too often, but TERA is the only game I've played where this seems to be a regular occurrence.

Similarly, I keep getting the "texture quality lowered" message despite my rig being powered by a EVGA 980Ti FTW GPU that easily handles the other 98% of my games library on High or Ultra settings and 3D rendering to boot.

But with TERA, too many people in one relative spot and the game s**ts itself like it suffered "The Brown Note" from South Park.
  • Stitches1974Stitches1974 ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    @SageWindu

RTX 2080 here and I get those texture quality lowered a bunch as well. Mainly when I'm gathering and cross paths with a guardian mission ( that actually locks my computer up for a few seconds ), but it happens in other places.
  • @SageWindu

RTX 2080 here and I get those texture quality lowered a bunch as well. Mainly when I'm gathering and cross paths with a guardian mission ( that actually locks my computer up for a few seconds ), but it happens in other places.

That's the baked-in 4GB memory limit at work. Fun fact if you play around hitting 'Apply' on graphics options enough (without even changing any settings) the game will eventually poop itself and crash, presumably from some kind of overflow.
  • seraphinushseraphinush ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I get what OP is saying, but it would only make sense if the difficulty of reeling in fish was hard from the start. however because you're upgrading your rod for better fish, it only makes sense to make it more difficult to catch a tier 8 fish than a tier 1 fish.

I think OP is envisioning a fishing system where all fish of all tier was available for any rod of any tier, and the difficulty was higher by a static value for all fish, and upgrading would incrementally decrease the difficulty. in this case it would definitely make sense for fishing to become easier as you upgrade.

This could technically be applied to BAF, where the difficulty of BAF is statically difficult for all tier of fishing rods. then for the sake of the argument, decreasing difficult for BAF as you upgrade your fishing rod is sensible.