Anyone else having a hard time with loot boxes from the Black Friday sale?

I opened 48 Emulator lootboxes (5300 EMP worth) and all I have to show for it are completely useless Metamorphic Emblems (why is this even in the prize pool?). Why is there no transparency regarding the odds with these boxes? Seriously this Black Friday "sale" feels more like a Black Friday SCAM.

Comments

• I don't disagree with you, but the issue you're noting is by no means new -- it's been the same issue ever since the very first lootboxes were added to this game 6+ years ago. With no posted odds and no failure cap, you could easily have cases where you open 100+ boxes and not win the prize -- every time you have a separate small chance to win. While I absolutely think they should show the odds, even that won't protect you from RNG without a failure cap.

As for metamorphics, the recent patch changes made this less relevant and either they're going to have to make them relevant again or replace the pool in all lootboxes across the board, which would be a major but necessary undertaking. It's a known issue, at the very least. Buyer beware. (Then again, here too, we've been through waves where the fodder in these boxes has been useless in the past too -- it's a cyclic issue.)

• TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭

You know, the simplest solution to the metamorphic emblem issue would be to add things relevant to the current patch to the meta shop.

The other thing that needs to go is dyad niveot structures. Completely useless in the current patch.

• Why did you buy any?

• MargaretRoseMargaretRose ✭✭✭✭✭

@Terraforming said:
    I opened 48 Emulator lootboxes (5300 EMP worth) and all I have to show for it are completely useless Metamorphic Emblems (why is this even in the prize pool?). Why is there no transparency regarding the odds with these boxes? Seriously this Black Friday "sale" feels more like a Black Friday SCAM.

I agree the rates should be disclosed.
    However, seriously, if the rates were anywhere near decent the companies wouldn't be afraid to reveal it.

@RonLaw said:
    Why did you buy any?

Exactly.

• Elinu1Elinu1 Canada ✭✭✭✭

@Terraforming said:

I have refused to open lootboxes for a few years because of spending hundreds of dollars and not getting anything worth the cost.

• Buying loot boxes in the first place was a HUGE mistake. EME just made easy money from your lootbox purchases.
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭

@MatrixOfLeaders said:
    Buying loot boxes in the first place was a HUGE mistake. EME just made easy money from your lootbox purchases.

eme has made a butt load of money from everyone's lootbox purchases, and that is why they are still for sale and the rng is so bad. I think everyone here has gotten burned by lootboxes at some point in time. I don't think they are worth the risk, but those with money to burn, it doesn't bother them. also the sale of these lootboxes and character bound mounts only have made eme loads of money and that money is what is keeping the game free to play and open for business. whenever people quit buying stuff from the store, the game will shut down. so thank you to all of you that continue to buy emp. I did for a long time until they quit selling account bound mounts.

• @MargaretRose said:

@Terraforming said:

I agree the rates should be disclosed.
    However, seriously, if the rates were anywhere near decent the companies wouldn't be afraid to reveal it.

Honestly, this is the biggest reason why I think the rates should be disclosed. I've seen plenty of gacha games where the odds for a target rare are 0.5% or less, and they still make money hand over fist... and I actually think EME's rates are higher than that (probably somewhere in the range of 2 or 3%). But when you don't disclose the odds, what's the conclusion people can be expected to come to...?

(For TERA Console in Japan, EME does actually disclose the rates, and I highly doubt the rates are hugely different in cases where it's the same item. Unfortunately, Console doesn't have a web store, so only way to see is to install it...)

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭

@Terraforming said:

You're not the only one feeling like this, and there are plenty of other players that most likely have spent their last dime on this game. From players that bought $250 for a mount that ended up getting dumped on broker to players that were destroyed by rng only to see lucky players cash out. Not only do I feel bad for all of the above, but if you saw how fast people were enchanting gear on Friday, you'd feel bad for all of those that wasted time grinding to enchant their gear only to see people throw cash and level up their gear in a day (no joke). Personally, just tired of seeing so many others take the bait in a game that doesn't have much of a future anyways. Lets face it, as soon as AIR gets released, BHS will most likely stop updating Tera in order to force current Tera players over to the new game. So, why even bother anymore when all most of us did was fish anyways? Now, that is even a waste when you fish and fish only to waste your entire gold stash on something that turns out to be absolutely worthless. Not much point to even bother after that.

• I doubt very much that A: IR will make any success in NA.

They have released so many games that have the same p2w mechanics in progress that people just ignore the mmorpg PC (private serve is more popular than the official one these days).

mmorpg games are only accepted on KR and JP any other country is no longer acceptable, honestly all my 8 years on NA mmorpg all have the same problem.

• edited December 1

@Christin said:
    You're not the only one feeling like this, and there are plenty of other players that most likely have spent their last dime on this game. From players that bought $250 for a mount that ended up getting dumped on broker [...]

You've mentioned this in a bunch of threads now, but FWIW, people spent $250 to get 35000 EMP and as a bonus they got a dyeable outfit and a rare mount. No one should have thought the mount or the outfit would be "worth $250" -- they still have the $250 worth of EMP to spend on whatever they want.

The argument about lootboxes I totally understand (as mentioned above), but this one is just some weird sort of misunderstanding if people are actually upset about this.

• I gave up on loot boxes awhile ago in pretty much any game. It's kind of weird how we've gotten to the point where we are willing to spend money for a chance of getting what we pay for. It's a strange gambling oriented mindset that isn't legally gambling because you always get "something". $200 for some metas and health potions I guess is something🤷.

While It's definitely fine for f2p games to have microtransactions those oriented around RNG are typically a scam if they don't have published drop rates and there are so many trash items in the loot tables. I wonder though, at what point does a microtransaction stop being micro? Is it a function of the money spent, or the value of the transaction? Definitely the later but I always like to think of that so I don't scam myself in these kinds of games lol.

Over the years, as TERA's started to follow less savory trends of micro transactions, I decided to cancel my elite subscription and purchase all premium items for the game with gold instead. (Voting with my wallet I guess)

En Masse at the end of the day is going to sell things to make as much as they can. While I do think that it's cruel to use people's innate addiction to chance against them for profit, they are certainly not the only ones doing this kind of evil garbage.

My advise is, especially for loot box related items, buy it with gold instead of EMP. Let someone else suffer trying to open boxes. As long as the drops are tradeable, En Masse will get their money and you will get your item. Remember also that very little has ever been truly exclusive in the game unless it's a cross trademark promotion with a timed legal contract (ie HK and AoT).

• arieallarieall ✭✭
    edited December 2

i opened 40 boxes for the pet cat and got zip so your not alone. every time i waste emp on them i end up pissed off. This time at least it was emp from elite and free emp event. This is also reason that i won't buy emp for stuff any more.

• @DeusFurta said:
    My advise is, especially for loot box related items, buy it with gold instead of EMP. Let someone else suffer trying to open boxes. As long as the drops are tradeable, En Masse will get their money and you will get your item.

While I understand what you're saying, offloading the risk to someone else isn't really going to solve anything or save anything over the long term. I guess maybe it reduces your personal stress/frustration at a bout of bad RNG, but the price you pay will be more than the average you'd spend on opening lootboxes yourself over time, and the extra profit just goes to the sellers (providing further incentive).

Ultimately, if people really want to send a message, they have to stop buying lootbox items at all even with gold. But yeah, I guess odds of that happening are pretty slim, so...

• @counterpoint Yeah I definitely understand what you're saying. I'm sure that there are many ways to improve things from where they are but I'm not really the type who will start lobbying for change. Especially considering how that process typically work in this game. I also think there are larger industry wide trends being followed here that will be very hard to shake.

While voting with your wallet is a nice sentiment whales will be whales and will likely have a much larger swing on cash shop balance. Guess that's why I just keep them fed and move on with my day lol