Enmasse, cost too much for Cosmetics!! WTF?

Comments

• Buy a horse where they used to give one a few years ago or so

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭

@TJKat said:

@allofspaceandtime said:
    and also lumbertown sells the other horse mounts in the stable.

Wait, what?? When did this happen?

This was years ago. It actually used to be a low-level sidequest.

• go to the stable where the people are standing in line at the big soup pot in lumbertown

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭

@allofspaceandtime said:
    you can also get free mounts through achievements like sparky and the black panther mounts are easy to get and also lumbertown sells the other horse mounts in the stable.

From what I've heard, the quests to get the black panther are tedious. The temp Sparky lasts less than a month, and from my memories the permanent one is through more achievements. Just because you can get some slow mounts by working for them doesn't negate the fact that Tera's mounts are ridiculously expensive and simply not worth the cash. You get a free flying mount, but it's not that great looking and people like to have different mounts.

The easiest way to get a mount is to fish on more than one account and save up gold. Depending on how many accounts you have (you can log into 5 through the launcher) it may take you a few weeks or so. Really, unless you have cash to burn or love running dungeons, it's probably best to move on. I mean what's the point in buying a mount or cosmetics for a game you're just afk fishing in anyways? You can also do Vanguards, but those really only give good gold if you have some alts to farm those with.

• magginsmaggins
    edited December 2019

>

Enmasse emailed me and told me to take it to the Forums, which basically means "We dont want to hear about it, or read it." I told them fk that st, dont tell me where to post my problem when you wont read it.

I had a similar situation with them regarding the Devastated Villagers quest line. Every dialogue box had some sort of error, whether it was spelling or grammatical. I opened a ticket and sent them some screenshots and eventually I just got the same "post it on the forums" response, which pretty much told me all I needed to know.

As far as I know, these still haven't been corrected.

I just feel like proofreading should be a pretty standard step in the process for any video game. Yes, occasionally there's a slip up, but these were embarrassing.

edit: http://imgur.com/a/F7WraT4

• TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

@SageWindu said:

@TJKat said:

@allofspaceandtime said:
    and also lumbertown sells the other horse mounts in the stable.

Wait, what?? When did this happen?

This was years ago. It actually used to be a low-level sidequest.

I know it used to be a low-level side quest, but I thought they got rid of it (and the ability to get the other mounts) a long time ago. I thought we were all stuck with Bay Gelding to start now.

Edit: I just went and checked. You can only buy Bay Gelding in Lumbertown.

• @Christin said:

@allofspaceandtime said:
    you can also get free mounts through achievements like sparky and the black panther mounts are easy to get and also lumbertown sells the other horse mounts in the stable.

From what I've heard, the quests to get the black panther are tedious. The temp Sparky lasts less than a month, and from my memories the permanent one is through more achievements. Just because you can get some slow mounts by working for them doesn't negate the fact that Tera's mounts are ridiculously expensive and simply not worth the cash. You get a free flying mount, but it's not that great looking and people like to have different mounts.

The easiest way to get a mount is to fish on more than one account and save up gold. Depending on how many accounts you have (you can log into 5 through the launcher) it may take you a few weeks or so. Really, unless you have cash to burn or love running dungeons, it's probably best to move on. I mean what's the point in buying a mount or cosmetics for a game you're just afk fishing in anyways? You can also do Vanguards, but those really only give good gold if you have some alts to farm those with.

sparky is listed as a tempory mount but it doesn't go away. ive had mine for years. the black panther is a little tedious, but they are free, and Sheldon only costs like 10k gold

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭

@allofspaceandtime said:

@Christin said:

@allofspaceandtime said:

sparky is listed as a tempory mount but it doesn't go away. ive had mine for years. the black panther is a little tedious, but they are free, and Sheldon only costs like 10k gold

Maybe if you leave it in your bar, but mine went away, so not sure how that works. Either way, they are seriously slow mounts and not much better than the free horse mount already given. I surely wouldn't put them up to justify the horrific prices EME asks for mounts in the shop. You have to pay thirty bucks just to get a flying mount. You can play a lot of other games out there with a longer lifespan left to them and get more for $30 than you can here. That's for sure.

• @Christin said:

@allofspaceandtime said:

@Christin said:

@allofspaceandtime said:

Maybe if you leave it in your bar, but mine went away, so not sure how that works. Either way, they are seriously slow mounts and not much better than the free horse mount already given. I surely wouldn't put them up to justify the horrific prices EME asks for mounts in the shop. You have to pay thirty bucks just to get a flying mount. You can play a lot of other games out there with a longer lifespan left to them and get more for $30 than you can here. That's for sure.

im not justifying the crazy cost of the mounts, I was just adding to what counterpoint said about getting free to low cost mounts. im thankful I got my account bound flying dragons when they first came out. I could justify the cost of those, but I cant wrap my head around paying more than the cost of an account bound mount for a character bound one. the only reason games can do this is because people buy the over priced stuff. just look at the new modern warfare 300 dollar characters.

• edited December 2019

And speaking of account mounts, there actually are still some on the in-game store. They're the plain ones with the speed of 280 instead of 290, but if you're the type of person who has many alts, it's still a good baseline to have. Every once in a while the account dragons show up again, but not sure when the next time will be. I also took advantage of that when it came up and felt like it was a good investment.

I'm not sure why they switched to this pricing model as it doesn't work for me either, but as @allofspaceandtime said above, clearly it must be working for them or they'd change it again. In general given all the changes over the last few years, I've come to the conclusion that more players prefer playing mains than having alts -- I'm just not in that group myself.

@counterpoint said:
    In general given all the changes over the last few years, I've come to the conclusion that more players prefer playing mains than having alts -- I'm just not in that group myself.

I would argue that's because of recent updates that made playing multiple characters "full-time" infeasible. Before the Arsenal update, most people had 5+ alts (at least in my XP) max level and in +12 mid-tier equipment. All one needed was some spare time and luck.

Once the Arsenal patch dropped, "altaholics" were hit hard. Upgrading was made more difficult due to several factors, the biggest of which I remember being a lack of mat drops (remember all those threads about talents?). So most people with a ton of alts had to make the decision of stagnating themselves (if they didn't like playing a single character long-term, one of which I know personally) or grind their socks doing mundane challenges to make sure all their character could keep up with the game's ever-increasing demands.

• @SageWindu said:

@counterpoint said:
    In general given all the changes over the last few years, I've come to the conclusion that more players prefer playing mains than having alts -- I'm just not in that group myself.

I would argue that's because of recent updates that made playing multiple characters "full-time" infeasible. Before the Arsenal update, most people had 5+ alts (at least in my XP) max level and in +12 mid-tier equipment. All one needed was some spare time and luck.

Once the Arsenal patch dropped, "altaholics" were hit hard. Upgrading was made more difficult due to several factors, the biggest of which I remember being a lack of mat drops (remember all those threads about talents?). So most people with a ton of alts had to make the decision of stagnating themselves (if they didn't like playing a single character long-term, one of which I know personally) or grind their socks doing mundane challenges to make sure all their character could keep up with the game's ever-increasing demands.

Yeah, totally agreed, but I'm just thinking even further back to "why did they decide to move the game in this direction in the first place?" Before, the game's monetization was based primarily on getting people to create alts, because the more alts you'd have the more costumes you'd buy (since they're character-bound), the more you'd need things like character slots and bank expansions, etc. This is partly why they kept introducing new classes to the game -- a big part of their business strategy was getting people to make more characters.

But then, at some point, someone high up must have decided that people weren't creating enough alts for this to be worthwhile. So instead of continuing to encourage alt creation, they retuned the whole game (including the cash shop) so that everything was based around a long grind on your main character. Obviously at that point those who did like making alts realized this was no longer really feasible (as you say). But the only reason I can think for this change in the first place is that they must have found that an awful lot of people weren't making any alts anyway, so all their monetization based around creating alts was missing a large group of players. In order to make the monetization more relevant to those who only want main, they hurt everyone who liked alts. That's probably also why it shifted to be more oriented around progression-tied consumables, since the gear grind was designed to have stress points that the cash shop was able to "solve."

In case it's not clear, I really dislike this direction personally, as it was nothing but bad for me personally. But I still think it must have came about because alt-creators were a smaller percentage than main-only players, even before they forced all the rest of us to be that way too.

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭

@allofspaceandtime said:

@Christin said:

@allofspaceandtime said:

@Christin said:

@allofspaceandtime said:

im not justifying the crazy cost of the mounts, I was just adding to what counterpoint said about getting free to low cost mounts. im thankful I got my account bound flying dragons when they first came out. I could justify the cost of those, but I cant wrap my head around paying more than the cost of an account bound mount for a character bound one. the only reason games can do this is because people buy the over priced stuff. just look at the new modern warfare 300 dollar characters.

Tera simply isn't in the same league, and you're talking about a character versus a mount. Don't really even think Tera was in the same league when it came out, so maybe not a great comparison. I get what you mean though. I didn't buy the account dragon but did get a piggy. Now, I wouldn't waste the cash, because the game is no longer alt friendly. I've dumped cash into games before and still play a game that I have dumped about a grand into so far. Since I have played Tera, I have spent I doubt even $150. I spent a chunk in the beginning, but for some reason, Tera never made me even want to throw my money at it. It just never seemed like a good investment to me, and the loot boxes are a total turn off. What isn't in a lootbox is ridiculously expensive. I like fashion, but this game never offered enough to get me seriously invested.

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭

@SageWindu said:

@counterpoint said:

@SageWindu said:

@counterpoint said:

Yes, and many of us "altaholics" have no interest in gearing up only a main while leaving the others behind. Therefore, many of us simply ignored leveling or gearing up altogether. If fishing was never added, I doubt most of the players would even bother logging in. Great for people that want gold without actually playing yet bad for a game trying to get dungeons populated.

@counterpoint said:

@SageWindu said:

@counterpoint said:

Yeah, totally agreed, but I'm just thinking even further back to "why did they decide to move the game in this direction in the first place?" Before, the game's monetization was based primarily on getting people to create alts, because the more alts you'd have the more costumes you'd buy (since they're character-bound), the more you'd need things like character slots and bank expansions, etc. This is partly why they kept introducing new classes to the game -- a big part of their business strategy was getting people to make more characters.

Wait, that's real?!

I thought it was a bad joke! :open_mouth: