[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Deletion Help

Hey! So, I tried this game out a while ago due to twitch having a promotion for it. Turns out, game wasn’t my cup of tea. Now, since it’s getting moved to another publisher, I want to uninstall the game due to the fact it’s taking up nearly 50 gig on my hard drive. Thing is, I can’t uninstall it. I’ve deleted the launcher and cannot uninstall it. Whenever I try to delete it using the built-in windows deletion system, it says the launcher doesn’t exist, so it can’t uninstall the app. I don’t want to use any fishy 3rd party uninstallers, and I don’t want to reinstall the entire game on steam just to delete it again. Could I get some help?

«1

Comments

  • pikpatsoupikpatsou ✭✭
    edited November 17

    Re-install the launcher, so the system finds everything normally installed
    Then uninstall the game and last uminstal the launcher

  • If for whatever reason you can't do it officially, this isn't a game that really spreads files all over the computer or anything like that. You should just be able to delete the TERA folder completely and you'll eliminate nearly everything except for a few settings files.

  • Oops, seems I misspoke. I can’t reinstall the launcher. It apparently needs the launcher installed to install the launcher? Two, I deleted EVERYTHING in the enmasse folders, including terra. It didn’t do anything except make it more confusing!

  • pikpatsoupikpatsou ✭✭
    edited November 17

    There are "orphan" entries left in your regisrty. Just download a free registry cleaner, like CCleaner or Auslogics Registry Cleaner, and you are done.
    *** The registry cleaner will remove the "orphan" entries / keys.

  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭

    maybe the problem is your hdd, ssd or your os

    because we just remove the tera folder with right mouse button and delete

  • @pikpatsou said:
    There are "orphan" entries left in your regisrty. Just download a free registry cleaner, like CCleaner or Auslogics Registry Cleaner, and you are done.
    *** The registry cleaner will remove the "orphan" entries / keys.

    Thank you for the suggestion just now, but turns out, it didn’t work. It’s still there, and I still can’t uninstall it.
    Second, I did remove the tera folder in it’s entirety. Completely deleted. It’s still there.

  • pikpatsoupikpatsou ✭✭
    edited November 17

    Hmmm. The last thing it comes to my mind, is that something is left in the appdata folder.

    To access it, click the start menu and in the search field type %appdata% and hit enter.
    See if anything is left in the appdata folder and subfolders (Local, Roaming) concerning Enmasse tera, and delete it.

  • @pikpatsou said:
    Hmmm. The last thing it comes to my mind, is that something is left in the appdata folder.

    To access it, click the start menu and in the search field type %appdata% and hit enter.
    See if anything is left in the appdata folder and subfolders (Local, Roaming) concerning Enmasse tera, and delete it.

    I already tried it, but I decided to check again just in case. There’s also nothing there.

  • @Joryho said:

    @pikpatsou said:
    Hmmm. The last thing it comes to my mind, is that something is left in the appdata folder.

    To access it, click the start menu and in the search field type %appdata% and hit enter.
    See if anything is left in the appdata folder and subfolders (Local, Roaming) concerning Enmasse tera, and delete it.

    I already tried it, but I decided to check again just in case. There’s also nothing there.

    Okay, so! News, I got the launcher to boot up again. Bad news, I can’t install or uninstall tera.

  • edited November 18

    You already deleted the files manually so I'm not sure what it is you're worried about. As noted before, this isn't a game that hides files all over the file system or will bog your system down with extra processes. Is it just removing the entry from your add/remove programs list? If so it's probably just because there's an orphan key in the Uninstall section of the registry. You could clean it up if you want, but with the files deleted it's not harming anything anyway, so personally I'd just ignore it.

  • pikpatsoupikpatsou ✭✭
    edited November 18

    Yup. Agree. As counterpoint said it's just an orphan entry string.
    No need to mess with registry and risk the stability of windows.
    Since the cleaner didn't delete it, leave it as it is.

  • But it’s taking up nearly 50 gigabytes! This wouldn’t be much of a problem if I wasn’t using a bootcamped PC with 130 gigabytes max! It’s why I wanted to get rid of it for good!

  • edited November 18

    @Joryho said:
    But it’s taking up nearly 50 gigabytes! This wouldn’t be much of a problem if I wasn’t using a bootcamped PC with 130 gigabytes max! It’s why I wanted to get rid of it for good!

    How are you determining it's taking up 50GB if you deleted the whole folder already? Just because it says so in Add/Remove Programs?

    If you installed the game in Steam originally, then the other place you could check would be your SteamLibrary folder. You can look up your SteamLibrary folder in Steam (under Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders), and then inside there it'd be under steamapps\common\TERA. Before you delete from there, I'd see if the game is listed in your Steam Library list and if so try uninstalling it from there, but if it's not then you could just delete that folder also.

    Otherwise, I guess I'm not sure where you installed it that it'd be taking up the space, but I guess you can just search your hard drive for TERA to find wherever you installed it to begin with.

  • @Joryho said:
    But it’s taking up nearly 50 gigabytes! This wouldn’t be much of a problem if I wasn’t using a bootcamped PC with 130 gigabytes max! It’s why I wanted to get rid of it for good!

    Since you deleted the whole folder, the 50 GB you see in "Uninstall programs" is the orphan registry entry,.
    Specifically, it is a string text in registry, informing the system that this program occupies 50 GB in HDD.
    You deleted it manually, so the orphan registry remained, The 50 GB HDD occupy is faulty.

    TLDR: The registry, wrongly thinks that TERA is still installed, because normal uninstall didn't happen.

  • @pikpatsou said:

    @Joryho said:
    But it’s taking up nearly 50 gigabytes! This wouldn’t be much of a problem if I wasn’t using a bootcamped PC with 130 gigabytes max! It’s why I wanted to get rid of it for good!

    Since you deleted the whole folder, the 50 GB you see in "Uninstall programs" is the orphan registry entry,.
    Specifically, it is a string text in registry, informing the system that this program occupies 50 GB in HDD.
    You deleted it manually, so the orphan registry remained, The 50 GB HDD occupy is faulty.

    TLDR: The registry, wrongly thinks that TERA is still installed, because normal uninstall didn't happen.

    So, how do I fix this? I can’t reinstall the game to uninstall it properly due to the launcher being outdated, and I don’t even have enough space to reinstall it anyways due to the registry, and also the entire OS, thinking that it’s taking up 50 gig.

Sign In or Register to comment.