Alot of Lag Spikes

I have been getting a lot of lag spikes today. What is going on? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• This is normal, very normal. I don't believe there should be complaints about this anymore either... It's just become normal and a part of everyday life for the TERA players. Only thing you can do is accept what TERA has become and be willing to give your time to improve on your ever-changing gear.
  • I think they just moved as well. It's too bad. From my perspective that should be one of the most important things to consider as an entertainment company.
  • edited February 2017
    We're constantly monitoring the performance of TERA servers. When there's an issue like today where players are disconnected or a server goes down, we're alerted immediately so that the problem can be corrected by our Operations team. In the case of brief lag spikes, it's a bit harder to monitor and often varies on the region of the player and their route to the TERA servers in Chicago.

If you don't mind me asking Rimbaldi, what kind of ping were you getting during the lag spikes and where are you located? What area of the game were you in? What's your ping usually like? Also, did other members of your party or guild also get ping spikes at that exact moment?
  • All day long and it get worse when mongos spawns, for me its impossible doing rm with this spikes of 400 ms. Cant do mongos either because now is not worth so..........¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • @Spacecats. I would truly love to answer your question. However, as I am not an avid gamer. I do not have all the software and programs that most would have to be able to give you that definite answer without fail.

This has actually been a few weeks now.
    I know that I can mouse over my clock in game where it shows my fps. Also, being in Velika where everyone gathers it ranges from 65-105ms and fluctuates continuously. I have paid mind to check this regularly. I only know what I actually see happening before my eyes. Like people riding through the sidewalk for example or rather in the ground, then suddenly pop up out of the ground on their mount as they should be. Grey people. taking forever to load. It's pretty bad. I could actually just stand in one place and see these things take place.

Anyway I have no way to actually monitor my ping regularly with a window open. If you know of a way for me to be able to do that while playing without pause that would be awesome. Perhaps that would help pin point the problem?
  • edited February 2017
    I only know what I actually see happening before my eyes. Like people riding through the sidewalk for example or rather in the ground, then suddenly pop up out of the ground on their mount as they should be. Grey people. taking forever to load. It's pretty bad. I could actually just stand in one place and see these things take place.
    For what it is worth, this particular thing actually doesn't have to do with connection-based lag primarily. If you're getting the grey-people-placeholders, it generally means your connection is working, just your computer is slow to load/render the models. Even on a perfectly smooth connection, you will see this issue when in a crowded area (like Velika, Highwatch ch1, etc.). Installing the game on an SSD can help with this issue somewhat, but even that doesn't completely solve it. But in either case, even if you were playing on the "LAN" (right in the server room), you would still see this problem since it's in the client. It's a sort of workaround they did for player characters.
  • @counterpoint I've heard that acronym before. What do you mean by SSD?
  • edited February 2017
    @counterpoint I've heard that acronym before. What do you mean by SSD?

Solid State Drive/Disk
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

It's a kind of hard drive that uses a different approach to storing data than the old style spinning disk platters, and as a result is much faster. It will help improve your load times in TERA (and other games) considerably. (But again, to be clear, this isn't related to connection speed, just the local performance of the game. And it will not solve all of TERA's problems by a long shot -- but it does help.)
  • @Counterpoint

Interesting thank you. I'll have to take my comp at some point and see if its compatible.
  • I was doing Golden Labyrinth just now and my ping went from 200ms to over 900ms. As a healer, that's not very good to my party and I.
  • Arnica1991 wrote: »
    I was doing Golden Labyrinth just now and my ping went from 200ms to over 900ms. As a healer, that's not very good to my party and I.

Is 200ms your usual speed? Did other people in your party also experience that lag at the same moment? Where are you located?