TERA is officially a casualty of gender roles

I know by posting this, I'm gonna be labelled a troll and I'm going to open up the biggest can of worms ever on these forums, and for that, I am sorry. But unfortunately, it must be done, especially since I am no longer enjoying the Kyra event or the Mongo event as a result of what I'm about to talk about.

During the first weekend of Tera Mongo (which this round was hastily developed and implemented by Bluehole in response to Niantic releasing 80 new Pokemon in their wildly popular mobile game, Pokemon Go), I decided to make a new character, "Lady.Brightspark" (an elin reaper), to experience this firsthand.

Unfortunately, in the short 4 days I was playing Tera Mongo, I have been called various derogatory claims. I have been called "Gay", "Felon", and worse terms than even I am willing to share here.

Under normal circumstances, I would brush this off. However, despite helping out the community by helping pinpoint where the exact locations of legendary mongos are, and posting said locations in global on my server, as soon as people saw I was a level 60 elin reaper, people began throwing the derogatory words at me.

How come? Because sadly, over the short 2-3 years I've been playing this game, elins have received a very bad reputation on the Celestial Hills server due to, among other things, [filtered]. What's [filtered], you ask? It stands for erotic roleplaying, and believe me, I wish that crap would end rather quickly, or there would be a rule against it.

After being insulted for 4 days in a row, I unfortunately could no longer come to even log in and claim my free catalyst, on the fear that I would have more derogatory terms thrown at me for practically no reason whatsoever.

Listen, let's just stop all this hate, please. I want to play the game, but it's hard to when my favorite class that I enjoy playing (elin reapers) are subject to being called derogatory terms in whispers or in global.

And also, please stop making everything about gender roles. Just because I am a 18-year old man doesn't mean I should have to play a male character in-game because people believe in gender roles. Gender roles have already ruined many movies (and why nowadays I hate watching movies, even the cheesy kids ones). And now gender roles, thanks to some anonymous trolls, are threatening to make TERA the next target for enforcing them. Just don't. If I want to play an elin as some 18-year old guy, I say go for it. If a girl wants to play a male castanic, I say go for it.

I'm sorry if this post doesn't look well-written. I'm tired, I haven't had a good night's rest for 4 weeks, and as a result, I don't post well when I'm tired.

Later, all. And again, I'm sorry for opening this can of worms.

King

Comments

• 66ECX7NAN766ECX7NAN7 ✭✭✭✭
    Also, stop making costumes for only one gender. Let male characters wear a party dress.

• How come? Because sadly, over the short 2-3 years I've been playing this game, elins have received a very bad reputation on the Celestial Hills server due to, among other things, [filtered]. What's [filtered], you ask? It stands for erotic roleplaying, and believe me, I wish that crap would end rather quickly, or there would be a rule against it.

Edit: Nice to see the forum filters are hard at work and efficient as always, trying to make my argument more idiotic.
  • FlorettaSoupFlorettaSoup ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hey, first I'm sorry that you had this awful experience. I've been maining ninja for 8/9 months now, and I've been insulted because of that just a few times by some scrub randos in IM parties. I have to admit that I have never played on CH, so I've no idea about the level of toxicity of the community in there, but on MT there are just a few people that toxic, and a block usually solves any problem you might have with them.
    I think you have been bullied not because of the race/class you chose, but because you have joined some legendary mongos raids below level 65, people in the raid must have thought you were just a new player that wanted some free catas without effort, hence they started offending because they wanted you to leave the raid, thinking you would have been useless. I've seen this happen also yesterday on MT, I had invited a low level guildie to the raid I was in, and some raid members, after noticing he was lvl 35, started being super rude and calling him "gay scrub", just because they wanted him to leave.
    That said, I think that almost no one in tera bullies other people because they're playing elin, or an half naked female character, since all the 4 (soon to be 5) cool new classes are locked to female/elin.
  • MidokuPastaMidokuPasta ✭✭✭✭
    No one has ever bullied me on my elin before then again most people know I am actually female so I guess I get a free pass on some things.
  • I'm very sorry you had this kind of experience.
    I agree what FlorettaSoup said. Afaik most male players play females (and that's not restricted to Tera). Also, many competitive players choose elins for their advantages in animation speed, etc. So don't worry and keep playing what you like. Your experience was probably really just a result from that mongo event, which is a minefield of toxicity(!). Please don't let this keep you from playing.

Btw me and my friends also play male characters and we're girls. I don't even think it's that rare. No one ever insulted us for it, but yes people are surprised when they find out.
  • yeah I'm thinking it's more cause you were lv 60 and could be seen as leeching by random people in the raid. CH people wouldn't call you gay in a sexuality insulting way, more like the annoying inconsiderate way.
  • GinjitsuGinjitsu ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know by posting this, I'm gonna be labelled a troll and I'm going to open up the biggest can of worms ever on these forums, and for that, I am sorry. But unfortunately, it must be done, especially since I am no longer enjoying the Kyra event or the Mongo event as a result of what I'm about to talk about.

During the first weekend of Tera Mongo (which this round was hastily developed and implemented by Bluehole in response to Niantic releasing 80 new Pokemon in their wildly popular mobile game, Pokemon Go), I decided to make a new character, "Lady.Brightspark" (an elin reaper), to experience this firsthand.

Unfortunately, in the short 4 days I was playing Tera Mongo, I have been called various derogatory claims. I have been called "Gay", "Felon", and worse terms than even I am willing to share here.

Under normal circumstances, I would brush this off. However, despite helping out the community by helping pinpoint where the exact locations of legendary mongos are, and posting said locations in global on my server, as soon as people saw I was a level 60 elin reaper, people began throwing the derogatory words at me.

How come? Because sadly, over the short 2-3 years I've been playing this game, elins have received a very bad reputation on the Celestial Hills server due to, among other things, [filtered]. What's [filtered], you ask? It stands for erotic roleplaying, and believe me, I wish that crap would end rather quickly, or there would be a rule against it.

After being insulted for 4 days in a row, I unfortunately could no longer come to even log in and claim my free catalyst, on the fear that I would have more derogatory terms thrown at me for practically no reason whatsoever.

Listen, let's just stop all this hate, please. I want to play the game, but it's hard to when my favorite class that I enjoy playing (elin reapers) are subject to being called derogatory terms in whispers or in global.

And also, please stop making everything about gender roles. Just because I am a 18-year old man doesn't mean I should have to play a male character in-game because people believe in gender roles. Gender roles have already ruined many movies (and why nowadays I hate watching movies, even the cheesy kids ones). And now gender roles, thanks to some anonymous trolls, are threatening to make TERA the next target for enforcing them. Just don't. If I want to play an elin as some 18-year old guy, I say go for it. If a girl wants to play a male castanic, I say go for it.

I'm sorry if this post doesn't look well-written. I'm tired, I haven't had a good night's rest for 4 weeks, and as a result, I don't post well when I'm tired.

Later, all. And again, I'm sorry for opening this can of worms.

King

Your issue is a bit silly. Instead of just brushing off various derogatory claims... maybe... just maybe... you should try to report these people. The behavior you described is not something that En Masse or any game publisher / developer tolerates.
  • CandyMomokoCandyMomoko ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I've never been insulted in such a way and I've been playing (mains in CH) since the game was made free to play. (And by such way I mean, I haven't been "bullied" 'cause u said you are scared of loging in for fear of getting more whisper insults and such.)

What I wonder though is, if you've been playing this game for 2 to 3 years, why would you choose to join a hunting event that's made for lvl 65s, on a lvl 60 character? I'm not saying is ok to insult people based on their lvl, the gender they are or the gender they choose to play in a game. But you know how "internet" people tend to be. Is not a secret that there's jerks irl like there's jerks online, and even more online 'cause they hide behind the "security" of a screen, so the toxicity lvls escalate. Specially on events that call out to way more people than the ones that normaly active in the game. I know of people that haven't been online for many months, that only loged in to play during this event.

I say if u wanna avoid negative attention during this events, get your character to 65.
    Also, to take things less personaly. The best thing u can do is give it no importance to what people you don't even know tell you. Ignore them, or block them, and problem solved. There's a lot of nice people, so don't put everyone in the same bag 'cause u've had a poor experience with some jerks. And don't be scared to log in, I'm sure u'll eventually diferenciate the nice people from the ones that well, are not so nice.

Good luck to you. And don't be too sad, claim your catalysts, I'm sure when u open the potions and get some nice items you'll feel better.
  • I know by posting this, I'm gonna be labelled a troll and I'm going to open up the biggest can of worms ever on these forums, and for that, I am sorry.

You titled this thread "TERA is officially a casualty of gender roles", and then proceeded to post an anecdote that had nothing to do with such a claim whatsoever. You're trying to build a false narrative about how cruel the Tera community is for going after someone because they dared to play a female character (which accounts for the majority of the playerbase) or an Elin (which accounts for the majority of the playerbase), when it's obvious that the suspicious manner in which you appeared and tried to involve yourself in an event with a fresh Reaper is the sole reason behind the harassment you received.

Yes, you are a troll. You're blatantly misleading people with clickbait thread titles and flimsy logic to make the situation seem more sinister than it actually is.
  • How did you survive a day in IM with this level of fragility? Just take a screenshot and report, it will hurt them way more than you. Like 50% of players have elin character and I'm pretty sure you were bashed because you did something wrong. It's hard to believe that whole server is bashing you and not ~50 elins that are standing in HW/Velika at the same time. Do not blame sexism for everything.

My guess - there was an agreement that channels are cleared in particular order (ie 1>2>3>4) so everyone can get all rewards. You pinpointed wrong channel; that made or could make some raids go there and kill BAM too fast.
  • Hey, guys, thank you for all the kind support you've offered. I want to offer a few updates.

First of all, I have looked back on my previous posts (both on the old and the new forums), and I realize this is not the first time this has occurred. This has happened before the Mongo events even started (there is a post on the old forums about it...go find it).

That said, I do not leech in Tera Mongo. When there are legend mongos out, I do two things...

1: Share location of any legend mongo I find (if I do indeed find one).
    2: Once the level 65s engage, get in there, get a hit, and then get the heck away.

I work as a lone scout, but just because the event is designed for level 65s shouldn't mean I can't enjoy it as a level 60. In fact, on Monday, I was working with a group of under 65's. Although it was a small party, we had one mission...get a hit and then get out and let the level 65's do the work. All 3 of us sadly died (in fact, I was the only one who managed to secure a hit before I got destroyed), but we were not leeching, as @Anjon is claiming. We were trying to enjoy the event. Again, just because I'm not level 65 shouldn't mean we can't enjoy the event (and to raise a point, veterans like you @Anjon need to welcome new players, not exclude them).

Even if it's not gender roles related, as Anjon claimed, it's newbie discrimination, which should not be tolerated if a game wants to have good reviews.

I'm sorry if this post isn't well-written. I'm still tired, despite a good hourlong nap, and I probably will try to get more rest tonight.

Now, away with me.

King
  • as a female, I started off only playing as females, but then I started using males. I found that elins are one of the fastest to play as, Ive been called different types of names myself, maybe cause they think im some old guy or something.
    when classes get genderlocked into females and you really want to play that class, theres nothing anyone can do about having to play as a female character. I feel bad for many of the men players cause they are stuck having to play as a female, and many don't like being a female.
    I know this is a game and make believe, and you can be whatever you want to be when you turn your pc on and load tera up. my mom asked me once why am I playing as a man when there are females in the game, then I showed her my other characters. sometimes it is nice to play as a male so that you don't get bothered by people wanting to [filtered] you ( I didn't tell her that ), but I know playing as a male wont make me confused about my gender lol.
    I guess the bottom line is that its only a game. if you get bothered by others, just ignore them, switch channels, keep doing what you were doing and kill whatever while they miss being able to due to them typing lol. as for the im thing goes, you win some, you lose some. if you can get together with a group of friends, its much better. I don't run dungeons anymore so I cant really say whats its like now. but just try to have fun and ignore the trolls and a holes out there.
  • Eldroth wrote: »
    Gay is not an insult but Elin....
    Eldroth wrote: »
    Gay is not an insult but Elin....

elin is genderlocked for ninjas and reapers, so I can see where all the men are coming from to a degree.
  • Ginjitsu wrote: »
    Your issue is a bit silly. Instead of just brushing off various derogatory claims... maybe... just maybe... you should try to report these people. The behavior you described is not something that En Masse or any game publisher / developer tolerates.

Exactly what I came here to say. The issue is more upsetting than silly, though. The best thing to do is report (through a customer support ticket) the players that are using derogatory language so that they can be dealt with officially. We don't tolerate player harassment in TERA.
  • Spacecats wrote: »
    Ginjitsu wrote: »

Exactly what I came here to say. The issue is more upsetting than silly, though. The best thing to do is report (through a customer support ticket) the players that are using derogatory language so that they can be dealt with officially. We don't tolerate player harassment in TERA.

Spacecats do you like Elins? Join the Elin Adoration Club :D "One of us, one of us"
This discussion has been closed.