[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 11/18 at 6pm PST. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Paragon -> Valkyrie Wins [Updated]

Comments

• Idi0ticGeniusIdi0ticGenius ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Spacecats wrote: »

I stand corrected! The moves you showed definitely have moon references in them. The footage I've seen from the class shows fire elements as well, along with a lot of "slash" particle effects and wave effects, but seeing those screenshots is undeniable proof that there's a tie between the crescent weapon and the shape of the moon.

As for the names of moves that you listed - they're direct translations from Korean. Part of localizing a game includes renaming things, so a move called "Gathering Moonlight" as a direct translation in Korean can easily turn into something like "Harness Aether" depending on the theme we go with. I hadn't seen the names you listed as a direct translation so I apologize for my comment!

The only fire effect I remember from playing the class on KTERA is Blood Moon. This is because it's a reference to the class background, which was posted by BHS back when class was released along with the interview with BHS director (translated by Serphanush and I):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VKoMV79Nw6BpywLh9e2KCXZpJz_66KgCuIQVmM1kvNU/edit?usp=sharing

The background story is at the very bottom.
    Story (Full Version)

After the Devan Conquest, ‘Moon Clan’ which Lunar Dancer was part of was massacred by their fellow Castanics on their way back to their hometown. In the midst of this tragedy, the sole surviving Lunar Dancer vows to get revenge upon those who betrayed the clan…
    With the end of the Devan Conquest, each participating race began returning to their respective home. Among the Castanics, was the eldest daughter of the Moon Clan who participated in the war as her village representative.

Her clan was the moon that shone brightly in the darkness, and they did so in the war as well. When the Devan Conquest attacked toward the Castanics during the early stages of war, “Kaia’s Sword” sent official notices to the Leaders of Castanic Settlement to recruit soldiers, but other clans made various excuses to decline participating in the war. Nobody was forced to join, but it was obvious how they would be treated if there weren’t a single Castanic participating the war. At this time, this would mean subjecting to discrimination from not only other races, but including their own as well. That’s when Moon Clan decided to participate in the war, and the one with greatest skill in handling spears among the clan decided to join the war herself.

She thankfully survived the long time on the battlefield. And in just four more days she was to return to her village. With pride in her accomplishments and thoughts of a warm welcome from her clansmen, she tended a soft smile. With that in mind, the fatigue from the battlefield seemed to wear off.

At the same time, the families who evacuated to Kaiator started returning to their village one by one to confirm if their home village was still standing.

The place was farther than Castanica where Castanics lived to hide from the eyes of other races and because of its distance, even the Devans could not find the place, and compared to the other villages, the damage was miniscule. After all the clans returned to the place and while the clan leaders inquired the status of other clans, they were met with tragic news. The village leader had died in the war. While many mourned for the loss, the clan leaders started debating on voting on the village leader carefully.

As the village was home to many various clans, so was the law of the village to nominate the winner of the inter-clan competition as the village leader. Among the remaining clans, Clan Moon was the strongest for being apt with glaives, such that there were rumors that there was ‘divination’ passed down in the clan. Thus, even without waiting for the competition, it was obvious which clan would be selected to give rise to a new village leader. And naturally, other clans start to check against Clan Moon. Especially the clan leader of Clan Fire, who thought that a new village leader could be nominated from her clan without Clan Moon, slowly started executing her long thought-out plan. She had made a false divination and instigated other clans to investigate the source of Clan Moon’s power.

Then on the day of the competition, the clan leader of Clan Fire claimed that she found the divination of Clan Moon and gathered all clans except Clan Moon. After seeing the divination, the clans were furious and decided to execute Clan Moon. The following was written on the divination.
    “Forge our glaives with moonlight, soaked in the blood of our brethren.”
    As the sun set and night fell, the clans gathered their might to raid Clan Moon. The clan leader and clansmen of Clan Moon met a gruesome death in their sleep.

At that moment, while returning to the village, the eldest daughter of Clan Moon witnessed the massacre. Suppressing the overflowing sadness, her rage began to flow in like flood. She clenched her weapon and charged in toward the villagers. After decimating them, she stroke down her glaive with a deep breath. Just like the fake divination that the Fire Clan had created, she honed her glaive soaked in the blood of her own race.

The Moon Clan was the most powerful clan among the Castanics, and other clans became jealous. Since the village leader was chosen based on their power, other clans had no chance to be nominated with the Moon Clan around, so the Fire Clan plotted a scheme to create a fake divination to convince other clans to wipe out the Moon Clan. However, this backfired as the returning Moon Clan member witnessed the entire massacre happening in front of her eyes. Just like the fake divination that Fire Clan wrote, "she honed her glaive soaked in the blood of her own race."

The fire effect when you use Blood Moon is probably referring to this, "Suppressing the overflowing sadness, her rage began to flow in like flood." And as we all know, fire is a common symbol of rage ( Berserker even has a skill called Fiery Rage). Blood Moon is the ultimate skill that the new class has-- and it heavily affects the potential of the class depending on how well you can utilize it. It's the main skill that creates disparity between being an OP class or a completely useless class.

People make mistakes-- I do too, so it's not something to worry about. But please do be careful as even KTERA community corrects their publishers too; sometimes even BHS gets corrected by community. There have been some cases where the community fixed bugs before the developers found the solution to do so in some games...

All I wanted to correct was just the part about the moon references. I understand that things can change when stuff gets localized as I've seen it happen already with Ninja release and every new dungeon, gear, and item releases. Thinking back, it's already past a year since I've stood up to translate for the community after Espei left.

Localization is something I can't just do every time even if I want to since that's up to you guys as publisher, and I'm not that great at it either. My goal is simply pass information with their original meaning at best of my abilities in translating-- however, sometimes things cannot be just left as their purely translated form because they don't sound as well as how they were in the original.

If you were to read those original names in skill, they sound catchy and nice. It's the main reason why in Japanese anime you see characters shout out their attacks-- which might seem odd, but it add more impact, especially to the younger audiences for the most part. because of this, there are people who prefer subbed more than dubbed because they tend to lose both meaning and impact when it is poorly translated or poorly localized, ending up with just cringy phrase.

So all I do is to translate things in a way so that readers can understand what they mean. It really does help when people ask what they don't understand because it helps me to think about how to improve the translations.

• Well not lunar but moon dancers available -_-
  • KetothKetoth ✭✭✭✭
    Its "moondancer" and not "moon dancer"... .
    why lunar dancer wasnt added to the poll?
  • I would be okay if they did take "Spearman", but what [filtered] is Paragon?
    Yuxibr wrote: »
    But its just the name of the class, you can name it the way you like. |o|
    No you can't, it still show on guild, friend list, character creation, when you hover your mouse over the classe icon, in weapon/gear description as PARAGON.
  • StarSpriteStarSprite ✭✭✭✭
    Ketoth wrote: »
    I'm guessing that classes can only be 1 word for technical reasons.
  • StarSprite wrote: »
    Ketoth wrote: »
    I'm guessing that classes can only be 1 word for technical reasons.
    Brawler used to be "brawler" and they fixed it in a update latter so, idk if is possible to use space, if yes Moonlight Warrior suits better IMO.
  • @Spacecats so if you didn't already know but Moondancer is a character from a TV show Called "My LIttle Pony " and if i'm not mistaken they have copyright privileges and all right's reserved to that name.. so i would suggest that you change the name to something other than that or you will probably be getting a lawsuit filed against you guys for stealing their character name without any permission whatsoever.
  • YuxibrYuxibr ✭✭✭
    JasonLucas wrote: »
    I would be okay if they did take "Spearman", but what [filtered] is Paragon?
    No you can't, it still show on guild, friend list, character creation, when you hover your mouse over the classe icon, in weapon/gear description as PARAGON.

Omg... Thats right, because you guys have nothing better to complain. What really matters is the name you give when you create it.
    Hope this name changing doesnt delay the class and moondancer lose. :3
  • Yuxibr wrote: »

Omg... Thats right, because you guys have nothing better to complain. What really matters is the name you give when you create it.
    Yeah, change few texts is too hard, the class will be delayed to december due that...
    Wtf, it's a class that have skills, effects and lore related to the moon so, why the [filtered] it should be called a random name like Paragon?
  • Spacecats wrote: »
    kamalr wrote: »
    'Moonlight Warrior'/'Lunar Dancer' were good names because they at least referenced their moon-based abilities, and what they do in combat.

Not to shoot down anyone's suggestions, but as far as I've seen none of the class moves have a direct reference to a moon in their appearance.

EDIT - Idi0ticGenius corrected me here. There are some appearances of the moon in the skills for the new class.

https://sites.google.com/site/yoshasstuff/13classskilllist

Read the link. How about the fact that there are all these translated names with "moon" in them, or the translated class name .... maybe do some research first be for getting sassy Space-y.
  • YuxibrYuxibr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Yeah, change few texts is too hard, the class will be delayed to december due that...
    Wtf, it's a class that have skills, effects and lore related to the moon so, why the [filtered] it should be called a random name like Paragon?

Ok dude, this must be very important to you so good luck!
    Paragon is not so related to the class but is still more powerfull and beautiful than moondancer. :3

• EndevaEndeva ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Spacecats

You should slap some sense to whoever came up with this dumb idea...
    https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/12114/poll-name-the-next-tera-class
  • JBGamingJBGaming ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @AeriaZ

Moondancer is just a word. You cannot copyright a word. What they can copyright is the character, the image of the character as it is a character created for that show. They cannot copyright a word.

The only exception to that rule is if Moondancer was a book. Then the work of words is essentially copyrighted for the books protection for the author. Intellectual property can be protected. But not words or titles or names. Please see Copyright law links below.

Reference of proof:
    https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2010/01/08/5-things-that-cant-be-copyrighted/
    https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ34.pdf
  • KetothKetoth ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Moondancer isnt a word. Find one dictionary with it and i will belive you. You have moon and dancer. Moondancer not being a word but a NAME can have register. If can have register, specialy with a show, prepare for a copyright sue. And i dont think EME want do deal with that.
This discussion has been closed.