[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

server stability

ever since you guys implemented the test server, there has been huge lag spikes and higher than usual ping on the regular servers, at times its unplayable, its not just me guildmates, players on other servers in my discords etc have been having that problem. the test server while a nice jesture, please ensure it doesnt mess up with the actual servers that people play on.......

Comments

• edited March 2017
    The test servers are at a different data center in a different location, so I don't think the two issues are related. But it also stands to reason, that being the case, that you could see issues on the one set of servers you don't on the other (and vice-versa).

I personally have had less stable ping on the test server than the live ones, but that seems to be how it goes. Some, the complete opposite.
  • EndevaEndeva ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/12349/test-server-more-stable-report-your-ping-and-location-here#latest

From the thread above, test server most likely is not in the same location or using the same ISP as the live servers.
  • sanj66sanj66 ✭✭✭✭
    The test servers are at a different data center in a different location, so I don't think the two issues are related. But it also stands to reason, that being the case, that you could see issues on the one set of servers you don't on the other (and vice-versa).

I personally have had less stable ping on the test server than the live ones, but that seems to be how it goes.

yes but since hte test server was implement every single day now my ping is on average 30ms higher than it was before and it regularly spikes up to 220-293 now, i dont think its mere coincidence that on the exact day at the exact time this began happening and it persists while the wh server is up.
  • sanj66 wrote: »

I personally have had less stable ping on the test server than the live ones, but that seems to be how it goes.

yes but since hte test server was implement every single day now my ping is on average 30ms higher than it was before and it regularly spikes up to 220-293 now, i dont think its mere coincidence that on the exact day at the exact time this began happening and it persists while the wh server is up.
    If it were global and affecting everyone equally that would make sense, but according to the thread linked to above, it doesn't seem to be. We also know that the test server doesn't directly interact with the live servers (instances are not cross-datacenter). So, It's likely more complicated and has some other correlating cause.
  • sanj66sanj66 ✭✭✭✭
    sanj66 wrote: »

If it were global and affecting everyone equally that would make sense, but according to the thread linked to above, it doesn't seem to be. We also know that the test server doesn't directly interact with the live servers (instances are not cross-datacenter). So, It's likely more complicated and has some other correlating cause.

if you look at that thread its affecting almost everyone, the few people that seem to have no issue are east coast or some of hte east coast players as there are east coast people i know that have been having the issue since the test server was opened, note i dont play on the wh server its not a comparison between wh and av, its a comparison of av before the test server was released and av after/during the test server release. as i said before its a lot of us that can confirm this issue, you can just ask in global or amongst players you know on av or in av discords etc.
  • edited March 2017

if you look at that thread its affecting almost everyone, the few people that seem to have no issue are east coast or some of hte east coast players as there are east coast people i know that have been having the issue since the test server was opened, note i dont play on the wh server its not a comparison between wh and av, its a comparison of av before the test server was released and av after/during the test server release. as i said before its a lot of us that can confirm this issue, you can just ask in global or amongst players you know on av or in av discords etc.

Well, it also so happens I'm on the East Coast, but the very fact that some people are not affected says that it's not a server issue, but a routing issue. Routing can change all the time for a number of reasons, but it probably doesn't correlate to the WH server.

I'm not saying that there isn't an issue, just that it probably doesn't have the new WH server as a root cause based on the symptoms.

(And the fact that people have lower ping on the new server than the old one doesn't suggest that their ping on the old servers has gone up, just that their ping on the new servers is lower -- because they're in a different location.)
  • sanj66sanj66 ✭✭✭✭

Well, it also so happens I'm on the East Coast, but the very fact that some people are not affected says that it's not a server issue, but a routing issue. Routing can change all the time for a number of reasons, but it probably doesn't correlate to the WH server.

I'm not saying that there isn't an issue, just that it probably doesn't have the new WH server as a root cause based on the symptoms.

(And the fact that people have lower ping on the new server than the old one doesn't suggest that their ping on the old servers has gone up, just that their ping on the new servers is lower -- because they're in a different location.)
    it can suggest that, but i guess that should have been included so a comparison can be made, the thing is like i said this all began happening on the test server release time. yes routing can change but as i said before its more than a mere coincidence that all these server instabilities started occurring on release of wh.
  • EndevaEndeva ✭✭✭✭✭

it can suggest that, but i guess that should have been included so a comparison can be made, the thing is like i said this all began happening on the test server release time. yes routing can change but as i said before its more than a mere coincidence that all these server instabilities started occurring on release of wh.

Well since you're on the case to solve this mystery! Let us know if:

1. It was just a coincidence.
    2. A conspiracy on you and your friends!
    3. DDoS on ISPs.
    4. Your router!
    5. or a coincidence!
  • JBGamingJBGaming ✭✭✭

I personally have had less stable ping on the test server than the live ones, but that seems to be how it goes. Some, the complete opposite.

It's been unstable as well. I get a lot of disconnects as well the past two months and I'm not entirely sure why that is. My Ms is usually very stable between 64-123 at the most. Yet here lately in Texas My ping rate as increased on the scale going to 210 I often lately have ALOT of fatal client exceptions. It's possible My router may already be out of date and needs to be updated.

However, I think the distance I am from the Server locations may very well be one of the reasons. I wish I had a closer server to be able to know if that is true or not.

Also I think those on the west coast closer to the Seattle WH server (Supposedly?) ping maybe a lot lower than those on the East Coast (Close to Chicago) Also using the WH server. I would assume the recommended Servers would the those that are closer to the client? Or able to be played more stably? ( I"m clueless on that).

It could be more complex than just any of the servers. I think Counterpoint touched on a subject of routing.

I noticed a significant difference in things when they started branching out into other ways to play Tera other than the browser.

I started getting more disconnects when the Xbox started being used. This was a month ago. I meet someone using it already. Now we are talkling about PlayStation. Could it be more of a communications thing? between all servers and computers and consoles.

Me Im' clueless on these. I would think having a consol would probably improve gaming performance as they are meant for games and high graphics as it is. To many variations on computers.

When there more people in one location. There is that grey body because on my end I can't handle all the graphics. Then on the events I can't see anyone or anything. I wish I had a better build so I could. Like on youtube you see people playing Harrowhold with all those people. Even overwatch on the Test Server I don't get to have perfect graphics and see everything. That goes to say that it's not always on the EnMasse Side but mine. However, take games like Eve Online, Graphics are awesome and I can see everything. The difference is the game is a lot bigger than Tera. I just can't hold on to play it long enough.

This is why I asked along time ago what engine is EnMasse Using? What is the best engine out there to even use? Is it all EnMasse or is it both half an half?

I don't know because I'm not a huge gamer like some are. I'm getting there though baby steps. The thing is I agree I don't think this problem has anything to do with the Test server being the (Root Cause). There is definitely something else going on here.
  • Also I think those on the west coast closer to the Seattle WH server (Supposedly?) ping maybe a lot lower than those on the East Coast (Close to Chicago) Also using the WH server. I would assume the recommended Servers would the those that are closer to the client? Or able to be played more stably? ( I"m clueless on that).
    The recommended servers are actually hard-coded based on some decision the producers at EME make. Right now, all five live servers are at the same datacenter in Chicago (though the test server is different). I principle the choice of live server should not impact your ping... but it can sometimes, likely due to some shared components between them.
    I started getting more disconnects when the Xbox started being used. This was a month ago. I meet someone using it already. Now we are talkling about PlayStation. Could it be more of a communications thing? between all servers and computers and consoles.
    I am pretty sure that what that particular person was doing was just streaming his PC to his console so he could have a "couch experience", but not the actual Xbox One port of the game proper. They probably would not have the consoles interacting directly on the live servers during the alpha process due to high risk of problems. But even after launch, it's unlikely that consoles would have a direct impact on the servers, except if there suddenly were an influx of players (which is doubtful at this point when it's not even in beta yet).
    This is why I asked along time ago what engine is EnMasse Using? What is the best engine out there to even use? Is it all EnMasse or is it both half an half?
    TERA is based on an early version of Unreal Engine 3, which wasn't really built for MMOs (it was chosen more for its high graphics quality, and then sort of "hacked" to work in this context). In the meantime since they built the foundations for this game, UE3 has been updated a lot (and a whole new version, UE4, released), so it's quite an old system now. I'm pretty sure the other main PC games EME has published have used UE3 as well (ZMR and AVA), but I'm not sure what their latest pick-up uses.

But I should also say.... graphics performance of the game (framerate, character textures, etc.) isn't directly tied to the server in most cases, so when we're talking about server lag/stability, it's usually a separate issue. Of course, both sides can be a big problem in this game, since action-oriented gameplay depends on both stable graphics and a stable connection to the server.
  • JBGamingJBGaming ✭✭✭
    Also I think those on the west coast closer to the Seattle WH server (Supposedly?) ping maybe a lot lower than those on the East Coast (Close to Chicago) Also using the WH server. I would assume the recommended Servers would the those that are closer to the client? Or able to be played more stably? ( I"m clueless on that).
    The recommended servers are actually hard-coded based on some decision the producers at EME make. Right now, all five live servers are at the same datacenter in Chicago (though the test server is different). I principle the choice of live server should not impact your ping... but it can sometimes, likely due to some shared components between them.
    I am pretty sure that what that particular person was doing was just streaming his PC to his console so he could have a "couch experience", but not the actual Xbox One port of the game proper. They probably would not have the consoles interacting directly on the live servers during the alpha process due to high risk of problems. But even after launch, it's unlikely that consoles would have a direct impact on the servers, except if there suddenly were an influx of players (which is doubtful at this point when it's not even in beta yet).
    TERA is based on an early version of Unreal Engine 3, which wasn't really built for MMOs (it was chosen more for its high graphics quality, and then sort of "hacked" to work in this context). In the meantime since they built the foundations for this game, UE3 has been updated a lot (and a whole new version, UE4, released), so it's quite an old system now. I'm pretty sure the other main PC games EME has published have used UE3 as well (ZMR and AVA), but I'm not sure what their latest pick-up uses.

But I should also say.... graphics performance of the game (framerate, character textures, etc.) isn't directly tied to the server in most cases, so when we're talking about server lag/stability, it's usually a separate issue. Of course, both sides can be a big problem in this game, since action-oriented gameplay depends on both stable graphics and a stable connection to the server.

HMmm. Makes me curious. your last phrase stating "Stable connection to the server." is It possible that my internet provide is an in between source and maybe the reason for my instability? (I have no idea. I'm connected with At&t) How would I know it is my router?

My diagnostic test says that I meet the requirments but there was a detection of a network issue that would effect performance. What does this even mean?

• Also I think those on the west coast closer to the Seattle WH server (Supposedly?) ping maybe a lot lower than those on the East Coast (Close to Chicago) Also using the WH server. I would assume the recommended Servers would the those that are closer to the client? Or able to be played more stably? ( I"m clueless on that).

HMmm. Makes me curious. your last phrase stating "Stable connection to the server." is It possible that my internet provide is an in between source and maybe the reason for my instability? (I have no idea. I'm connected with At&t) How would I know it is my router?

For you to connect to the server, the connection has to go through a network of transfer points along the way (sort of like roads/highways that connect towns/cities), and anything along that whole way could be a point of weakness if there's congestion or equipment failure. That's why it's kind of complicated to figure out what the true source of connectivity problems are. Sometimes it's the TERA server. Sometimes it can be your local router or modem (or Wi-Fi, if you're not on a wired connection). Sometimes it can something in your neighbourhood or city. And sometimes it can be anything in between any of those points. There's a tool called traceroute that shows you the path the connection is taking to the server and tries to do a simple diagnosis of each "hop" along the way, so this is why it's often requested if you're trying to diagnose this problem.

The general rule revolves around figuring out how many people are impacted. If absolutely everyone in the party/raid experiences a problem at the exact same moment, it's probably the server or equipment on that end. If it impacts only one person, but no one else, it's probably close to that person's home. If it impacts some people but not everyone, it's probably something in between that the affected people have in common.

My diagnostic test says that I meet the requirments but there was a detection of a network issue that would effect performance. What does this even mean?
    Well, the diagnostic test in the launcher is very general, and detects some cases that in practice aren't likely to cause a problem (like ports not being open on your firewall). It's sort of "better safe than sorry", but more times than not this isn't a problem that will slow you down.
  • If i recall correctly this had happened in the past, somewhere during FIHM patch or something... there was a test server too, and people were lagging.

I noticed something funny this time... the game isn't showing the correct ping... I mean, i lag, but it still displays my ms "normal"
  • sanj66sanj66 ✭✭✭✭
    congrats now everytime i enter combat i get spikes of 800+ and as soon as i exit combat its back down to 120ms.......this is literally the worse state i have seen this game in in the last 4 years, then you message support and they seem quite clueless as to how to assist you with anything....
  • CrewellCrewell
    edited March 2017
    I am with the same problems, my ping has always been on average 160-180, at the time, now it is very unstable 199-450