[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Thinking of returning to TERA

Hey all, after a while away playing other games...ok playing BnS to be more precise, i'm lured back to TERA out of curiosity and the fact I did used to love this game alot. How is it looking atm in TERA? The things that used to annoy me were optimization, is it any better in dungeons these days? I like the look of the flying lions - oh how i've missed cool mounts XD but seriously, am I wasting my time coming back? how far behind am I - my main is in +15 Lucid when I left. How is the community/population?

Comments

• JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭
    "Optimization? What's that?" - BHS

The game is still suffering from the same issues as before. Lack of content, no optimization whatsoever, the community is still as cancerous as ever, probably worse given the feedstock/enchanting issues going on and the complete lack of EME response no the forums as of late. Lucid is pretty much been relegated to being irrelevant now that it's two patches old, +12 Slaughter will beat it.

Bunch of older dungeons got removed and some new ones added back in, but nothing that won't get boring after a couple of weeks. Basically? It's pretty much business as usual in Tera with a new FoTM class to face-roll everything with.
  • Hmm...yeah I went ahead and updated it anyway, I was kinda excited! new mounts, class n all. I got in game, got re-acquainted with the controls...and queued for a dungeon.
    COULD NOT BELIEVE how unplayable it was. I mean..the stuttering, screen freezes and eventual crash at the last boss. It's such a shame I was wanting to come back and play again but for reals...I log into BnS after tera and it feels...luxurious. Really. So smooth in boss fights, high pop areas and that's with graphics on highest setting - if I did that in TERA i'd prolly crash b4 I even enter a dgn - i'm so sad :/ I really love tera's mounts and costumes (races could do with more customization options but meh, they're still kinda pretty) gahh....if they ever fix this game i'll come back willingly, but I can't pour my time and effort into it (and money) if it is practically unplayable. Not when there are far prettier, smoother running games out there. GAH i'm so gutted :/
  • I also left Tera to try BnS. I returned now that the new FotM class has been released. I really got tired of BnS fast. Why?

1. Leveling felt like a solo experience in BnS. Even running the daily dungeons (wow, I hate that concept at low levels) got to be very boring. Tera uses a progressive level based dungeon so you don't feel trapped in the same repeating, repeating, repeating, well, you get the point, dungeon).
    2. Travel in Tera is so much better. The cost factor will just kill a beginning player. Now with winged mounts at the end for free, getting around is just sick faster then before.
    3. Combat is so much better than BnS. I never liked the combat, I played a KFM and even thou I could dance beside or behind a mob, the mob could still hit me, that was so mucked up.
    4. Tera follows the traditional dps/healer/tank model. I hated the group model that BnS used. Everyone felt like one for one and one for none type, you just simply survived or watched one member burn throu the mobs.
    5. BnS makes you stick bamboo sprouts under your fingernails in order to want for dungeon queues. You HAVE to sit and do nothing while waiting. At least in Tera, you can actually do things with your character while waiting instead of watching a screen playing the same god aweful music, I felt like Neo stuck at a train station...
    6. Last, gear is based on the RNG goddess, *coughs*, so your weapon or armor can fail so much more then even the gear progression in Tera, shivers...

Now what can make you hate coming back to Tera is reduced content. Also the class imbalance for older players that makes me still look for a new MMO to play since BHS is just focusing on imbalanced new classes that steam roll content and that are focused on selling more costumes. Gear progression is being chocked for various reasons so you are you stuck grinding and then after that long or short grind depending on your guild actually, you're stuck with nothing much else to do. Oh, and they are continuing the patter of reducing channels so players are left without mobs to kill to do dailys. Yeah, not the brightest idea EME/BHS, not the brightest to waste potions/charms/orbs while stuck waiting on mobs to spawn. Once again, I love Tera but it's a dead end, no real challenge at the final end. I guess I'll just have to wait for the Matrix to be restarted...until then, you'll find my fingers typing here.
  • LatzaLatza ✭✭
    Beckiboo wrote: »
    am I wasting my time coming back?

In my opinion, yes. But that is MY opinion. Play the game on your own and see its current flaws for yourself, and from there decide whether or not you should play it.
  • JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭
    Latza wrote: »
    In my opinion, yes. But that is MY opinion. Play the game on your own and see its current flaws for yourself, and from there decide whether or not you should play it.

Agreed, a lot of people here are getting really disillusioned by this game's constant grind and now with the current feedstock and progression issues. However, some people like it and will say everything's fine. Ultimately it's up to you to decide, and given the issues you've described after coming back, it sounds like you may have made your decision already.

Either which way you choose, best of luck.
  • LaraBlades wrote: »
    I also left Tera to try BnS. I returned now that the new FotM class has been released. I really got tired of BnS fast. Why?

1. Leveling felt like a solo experience in BnS. Even running the daily dungeons (wow, I hate that concept at low levels) got to be very boring. Tera uses a progressive level based dungeon so you don't feel trapped in the same repeating, repeating, repeating, well, you get the point, dungeon).
    2. Travel in Tera is so much better. The cost factor will just kill a beginning player. Now with winged mounts at the end for free, getting around is just sick faster then before.
    3. Combat is so much better than BnS. I never liked the combat, I played a KFM and even thou I could dance beside or behind a mob, the mob could still hit me, that was so mucked up.
    4. Tera follows the traditional dps/healer/tank model. I hated the group model that BnS used. Everyone felt like one for one and one for none type, you just simply survived or watched one member burn throu the mobs.
    5. BnS makes you stick bamboo sprouts under your fingernails in order to want for dungeon queues. You HAVE to sit and do nothing while waiting. At least in Tera, you can actually do things with your character while waiting instead of watching a screen playing the same god aweful music, I felt like Neo stuck at a train station...
    6. Last, gear is based on the RNG goddess, *coughs*, so your weapon or armor can fail so much more then even the gear progression in Tera, shivers...

Now what can make you hate coming back to Tera is reduced content. Also the class imbalance for older players that makes me still look for a new MMO to play since BHS is just focusing on imbalanced new classes that steam roll content and that are focused on selling more costumes. Gear progression is being chocked for various reasons so you are you stuck grinding and then after that long or short grind depending on your guild actually, you're stuck with nothing much else to do. Oh, and they are continuing the patter of reducing channels so players are left without mobs to kill to do dailys. Yeah, not the brightest idea EME/BHS, not the brightest to waste potions/charms/orbs while stuck waiting on mobs to spawn. Once again, I love Tera but it's a dead end, no real challenge at the final end. I guess I'll just have to wait for the Matrix to be restarted...until then, you'll find my fingers typing here.

1. I agree in some respects about having to repeat some dungeons in order to progress your gear at some stages, but with BnS you don't really lvl from dungeons, you lvl from the quest line which I always did with someone from my clan so, from my perspective I found it an enjoyable experience - it did seem to take longer to hit max lvl than in tera though, idk if that is a bad thing or not.
    2. Travel in both games works well..BnS is kinda like GW2 with the teleport system, it does have the gliding function which I find cool - but I do prefer mounts - that's why I came back to try TERA again, cuz those flying mounts look so cool XD
    3. Ahh...well I play LBD - and I can't say i've experienced that with the hitboxes, maybe on Yeti I find sometimes I can be outside the hit box and it will still get me - as for mobs I have no issues, and I find the soft targeting in BnS useful - to me it's not that different from TERA to be brutally honest, in fact, if TERA had a soft target system, I would probably be able to play it more efficiently with the incredibly poor optimization - with it how it is..target has moved from my aim because of screen freeze/lag - but I guess that is an issue for me personally.
    4. The trinity is good, yes I felt lost at first moving to BnS...no healer?! wtf i'm gonna die XD but...there is some assistance from summoners and other party buffs, also I kinda like how you have to watch your own [filtered]...in other words, I have no healer to carry me, so ima have to actually avoid some of these attacks XD
    5. Can't argue with that, although I kinda like the design of the lobby, being able to invite from there and form specific parties or queue straight up. It souls be nice to be like TERA too..where you can hit queue and then it pops and you're in. I think both systems work ok.
    6. Hmm...idk what you mean here, no 'offering' or in tera - 'fodder' fails in BnS. Everything you use to upgrade will make either a small or large amount of progression, forgive me if i'm wrong, but I remember making enchant attempts in TERA and failing multiple times in a row to upgrade. Also there is no RNG on weapon/accessory rolls - which used to drive me crazy in TERA with all the SES. In BnS you have once piece of gear you carry on upgrading. So again, no rng rolling for that item in dungeons either to then have more rng piled on top. IMO TERA is more rng heavy in regards to gearing up - BUT BnS counters that with upgrade costs being quite high. I really don't know which is the lesser of the 2 evils here XD

All in all, I really like both games, I will be playing both. But due to the optimization issues in tera I really can only play it casually on the side as a break from BnS, which will continue as my main game - purely because, well, I can play it lol >.<
  • LaraBlades wrote: »
    I also left Tera to try BnS. I returned now that the new FotM class has been released. I really got tired of BnS fast. Why?

1. True for me. While in BnS, lvling is slower, it's far more enjoyable with a friend/group, and lvl diferences aren't as bad as in Tera. Tera, in the other hand, have an extreme fast lvling process, and inviting a friend for it is almost impossible, since you can get to cap in a day with dungeons. Playing BnS solo is horrible.
    2. It's fun to have a horse in Tera, it's annoying to run out of stamina while running in BnS. Aside that travel isn't a problem in any of the games.
    3. Tera's combat was boring for me, but that would be cuz of the lack of content and the majority of mobs can't fight you back. It felt like killing a dummy. In BnS, even mobs 5 lvls behind you can kill you if you don't play smart.
    4. I had a mystic main here and most of my groups dps were only smashing buttoms and getting killed, expecting me to carry them. The 'solo play inside a group' is a Tera problem as well as BnS's. The only diference is that you can't blame your healer in BnS.
    5. That BnS dungeon lobby and queu island is horrible.
    6. So far the price of gear is annoying in BnS, while in Tera you can sell one or two costumes and get geared. But so far, I've done most dungeons with a 36lvl gear and 45lvl soul shield.

The high points in BnS are in my opinion character customization, free costumes, smarter mobs. As for Tera (till I stoped playing) it's extremely easier and fast to lvl, cheaper gear, and easier time in queu for dungeons.
  • TERA is hella fun only down side for me personally is the lack of feedstock for t8 gear.
  • What about how the UI was so smoothly optimized, until they realized they messed up the elite buffs being 10 min cd, then they quickly patched it and there went the super awesome smooth ui that I was looking forward to. :(
  • Moonvixen wrote: »
    What about how the UI was so smoothly optimized, until they realized they messed up the elite buffs being 10 min cd, then they quickly patched it and there went the super awesome smooth ui that I was looking forward to. :(

I still wonder if there's some other contributing cause to this. It seems very suspicious that only the cooldown of an item would have that much of an effect on UI performance. With the way that this issue is flaky to begin with, it makes me think there might be other things going on that could explain why things were temporarily running smoothly.
  • Tera is great game. plz return back.
  • Does TERA has its flaws? Yes, but to me it is one of the best game ever.
    About this new class ninja, she is as stylish as slayer. I'm liking her very much. However, unless you like ninja very much, if you left game before, Idk why won't you leave again.
  • MoonvixenMoonvixen
    edited May 2016
    Moonvixen wrote: »
    What about how the UI was so smoothly optimized, until they realized they messed up the elite buffs being 10 min cd, then they quickly patched it and there went the super awesome smooth ui that I was looking forward to. :(

I still wonder if there's some other contributing cause to this. It seems very suspicious that only the cooldown of an item would have that much of an effect on UI performance. With the way that this issue is flaky to begin with, it makes me think there might be other things going on that could explain why things were temporarily running smoothly.

My assumption would be cause they wanted a quick fix they simply reverted to the ui they originally had, since they forwarded the Korean patch straight over.
  • edited May 2016

My assumption would be cause they wanted a quick fix they simply reverted to the ui they originally had, since they forwarded the Korean patch straight over.
    There wasn't actually any sort of client-side patch for that, though. It was entirely a server-side change. So it's very suspect that this would change anything about the UI lag. I mean, it's not impossible, but it seems like an unlikely combination.