[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

tanking as zerker endgame

hi, im currently lvling a berserker and im aiming to main tank at lv 65, i like that they can be both dps and tank and their gameplay way more than warriors thats why i chosed it, i know lancer and brawler are probably better tanks but like i said, i liked the dual role and im gonna play the race i like, not what emme considers popular (popori berserker FTW)

however i wanted to know what are the main differences between a zerker tank vs the other 3, and if i would be able to tank all kind of endgame content and maybe even make myself a name for endgame tanking so that ppl doesnt cringe when they see a berserker as tank

Comments

• mollyyamollyya ✭✭✭
    Zerk tank had a fatal glitch when fighting RMNM/RMHM atrocitas. You get a debuff for not receiving flurry of blows after you popped fiery rage makes the red-blue debuff disappear, you can't see your color.
    Zerk tank was poorly designed to temporary solve the tank shortage issue 2 years ago. It is a weird role in TERA. Even if you like zerk tanking most people just don't trust you in the first place. BHS doesn't even care about zerk tanking nowadays.
    Try warrior tanking, it is getting reworked soon to be on par with brawler.
  • Like Mollyya said, there's a glitch with the Silent Rage passive that can cover your debuffs. It's not that big a deal though, you just have to pay a bit more attention (in SSHM Imperator, you'll need to watch the on-screen text to see how many curses you get. As for RM Atrocitas, just make sure to remember what color you have before Silent Rage takes effect, and that your color will change when he does the AoE attack. If you know the timing it's easy to get out of as zerk with Dash + Leaping Strike/Overwhelm.) Inconvenient, but easy to get used to (do wish they'd fix it either way).

Besides that:
    - Weakest Block of any tank
    - Lower HP and Endurance than other tanks
    - No enrage/Infuriate skill
    - Lower damage than Brawler, and no support skills like Lancer

There was enough stupid discussion about the lack of damage/infuriate in the reddit thread that I'll just re-summarize as: if you're a good tank that holds aggro, positions, and doesn't die, most people in-game won't actually care if runs take a bit longer, even in endgame content.

The weaker endurance and block just mean you'll take more bleed-through damage on certain attacks, if you aren't adequately geared. Basically not an issue if you get a VM chest and roll it for tanking (damage, front damage, aggro, enraged) even if it's just +12. With that, at least a 3/2 set bonus mix, and good Endurance rolls on earrings, it won't be an issue.

Basically yes, people will doubt you at first. People are usually hesitant about zerk tanks at first. You'll probably spend a good bit of time explaining "Yes, I'm joining as tank, yes, I know what I'm doing", and so on. However, like you said, get a good reputation for it, and it won't matter. Zerk tanks are so rare, that if you show skill at tanking, it'll happen easily. After that, people always need tanks, regardless of class. When I started about a year and a half ago, I got a lot of hate. People saying that it's bad, that I should play a real tank, and so on. Didn't let that stop me, and continued to do so, and get as good as I could be at it. Now I have a reputation for being a reliable tank, am my guilds main tank, and spend most of each day tanking RMHM / SCHM / SSHM, for various groups and parties. It may take more effort, and you have to prove yourself to people more than other tanks do, but if you put in that effort and get good at it, it won't matter in the end. Play what you enjoy.

If you have any questions about specific things in regard to the class, I'm happy to try and answer. I have 50 to 100+ clears in every dungeon as zerk tank, and am supportive of other people who develop an interest / passion for tanking as a hybrid.
  • I play with a very good zerk tank on TR. And spoke to me about the RMNM/HM issue and I've tried it myself. He got used to it but I refised to learn how to tank RM. They would definitely have to rework theie tank mode. But all what Severstarr and Mollyya are true.
  • MoeBunnyMoeBunny ✭✭✭
    Severstarr wrote: »
    Like Mollyya said, there's a glitch with the Silent Rage passive that can cover your debuffs. It's not that big a deal though, you just have to pay a bit more attention (in SSHM Imperator, you'll need to watch the on-screen text to see how many curses you get. As for RM Atrocitas, just make sure to remember what color you have before Silent Rage takes effect, and that your color will change when he does the AoE attack. If you know the timing it's easy to get out of as zerk with Dash + Leaping Strike/Overwhelm.) Inconvenient, but easy to get used to (do wish they'd fix it either way).

Besides that:
    - Weakest Block of any tank
    - Lower HP and Endurance than other tanks
    - No enrage/Infuriate skill
    - Lower damage than Brawler, and no support skills like Lancer

There was enough stupid discussion about the lack of damage/infuriate in the reddit thread that I'll just re-summarize as: if you're a good tank that holds aggro, positions, and doesn't die, most people in-game won't actually care if runs take a bit longer, even in endgame content.

The weaker endurance and block just mean you'll take more bleed-through damage on certain attacks, if you aren't adequately geared. Basically not an issue if you get a VM chest and roll it for tanking (damage, front damage, aggro, enraged) even if it's just +12. With that, at least a 3/2 set bonus mix, and good Endurance rolls on earrings, it won't be an issue.

Basically yes, people will doubt you at first. People are usually hesitant about zerk tanks at first. You'll probably spend a good bit of time explaining "Yes, I'm joining as tank, yes, I know what I'm doing", and so on. However, like you said, get a good reputation for it, and it won't matter. Zerk tanks are so rare, that if you show skill at tanking, it'll happen easily. After that, people always need tanks, regardless of class. When I started about a year and a half ago, I got a lot of hate. People saying that it's bad, that I should play a real tank, and so on. Didn't let that stop me, and continued to do so, and get as good as I could be at it. Now I have a reputation for being a reliable tank, am my guilds main tank, and spend most of each day tanking RMHM / SCHM / SSHM, for various groups and parties. It may take more effort, and you have to prove yourself to people more than other tanks do, but if you put in that effort and get good at it, it won't matter in the end. Play what you enjoy.

If you have any questions about specific things in regard to the class, I'm happy to try and answer. I have 50 to 100+ clears in every dungeon as zerk tank, and am supportive of other people who develop an interest / passion for tanking as a hybrid.

Im super late to this discussion, but i wanted to ask you if you happen to have any videos/twitch of yourself tanking these dungeons? i really want to get back into zerk tanking but its so hard to find any zerker tank videos >w<
  • To answer zerker tank question. You just don't. Your a DPS learn it, love it, become it.
  • StevenAnthonyStevenAnthony ✭✭✭✭
    To answer zerker tank question. You just don't. Your a DPS learn it, love it, become it.

zerk tank is no for all,

you need hands, god ping at good fps

if you want be zerk tank, learning how tank, how agroo works , love it, become it ..................
  • yimeyime ✭✭
    zerk tank is a lotta fun. (im also a popori zerker :smile:)

just learn the basics of tanking in general (i.e positioning, holding aggro, etc.) first. it'll help a lot in the long run.

so, zerks are not a traditional tank, obviously. it's a major concern for endgame players because of the zerks' lack of an enrage skill. however, if you run with people who don't mind that, you'll still have a blast.

because zerker is mainly a dps class, when you switch over to tank, you'll still maintain a majority of your dps. zerk tank outclasses lancer for damage and aggro for brawler. (i've tested with a brawler friend, and i could consistently hold aggro against him.)

your tanking playstyle will revolve around ~4 major skills, that being axe counter, punishing strike, raze, and flatten. it might be a little bland, but that's the case for almost all of the tanking classes (maybe excluding warrior.)

if you want to learn how to zerk tank the endgame content, try finding a static group to run you through dungeons so you can get the hang of it first. the stigma against zerk tanks might prevent you from running some of the dungeons, but with an understanding/supportive group, it won't be an issue. once you get the hang of zerk tanking, you'll have a blast.
  • Zerker need another iframe or at least a more cappable block.
    Lilith normal is hardmode for zerker :p No way to block/iframe all the constant attack from the Boss.
    I died like 15 times in normal mode, and only 1 with my warrior xD (Both with +12 slaughter crap).

He is to slow, to week and axe block is pretty bad. 1 iframe is not enought (Im not counting evasive smash as iframe cause it share cd with evasive roll)
  • yimeyime ✭✭
    Zerker need another iframe or at least a more cappable block.
    Lilith normal is hardmode for zerker :p No way to block/iframe all the constant attack from the Boss.
    I died like 15 times in normal mode, and only 1 with my warrior xD (Both with +12 slaughter crap).

He is to slow, to week and axe block is pretty bad. 1 iframe is not enought (Im not counting evasive smash as iframe cause it share cd with evasive roll)

i can't think of a single boss move in LKNM that would bleed through a properly rolled zerk's block. damage bleed through is not as bad as you're talking about. you can block just about every block-able attack that LKNM and SSNM bosses have.

1 iframe is enough for zerk tank, because frankly they don't need it that much. they have other mobility skills that can move them around without need for an iframe (leaping strike, overwhelm, lethal strike, etc.) also lul at not counting evasive roll because it shares cd with evasive smash. as a zerk tank you should never (have) to evasive smash because you should not be charging thunderstrike as much as if you were dpsing, if at all.
  • Im not a zerk tank. Im a DPS. Never a tank.
    Just saying, viewing some berserker on Ktera on lilith he dies too a coupple of times (And he is not playing with 250+ ping :p ). Zerker is right now the hardest class to use for me at least on PvE. With my low gear warrior i have no problem at all. Almost intouchable
  • @MoeBunny
    I don't personally have have any videos of myself, sorry.
    I know other people have streamed some runs I've been in the past, but wouldn't know where to find them, if they still exist.

@yime
    Actually the biggest piece of advice I have to give people learning to zerk tank, is learn to use Thunderstrike as much as possible.
    I feel like the reputation zerk tanks have for doing "no damage" is because so many people neglect TS.
    You should be charging it every time you have an opening.
    Between boss attacks, during mechanics, during weak attacks that you can safely facetank, etc.
    Lots of boss attacks can be avoided by simply walking out of them while charging TS, and then your next Punishing Strike or Raze will put you in position again.
    Also have Raze glyphed for faster TS charging.
    50 - 60% or more of my damage on each boss comes from TS. It is a massive loss to not use it.
  • StevenAnthonyStevenAnthony ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Zerker need another iframe or at least a more cappable block.

berseker have 2 true inframes , evasive smash/roll and unbrekable ( 1s. ) im tank in lk when the tank get offline or they suck ( aka paper brawler with healer cristals ), and im can hold agroo , but is pain no die since somes atacks need you as tank need evade and try to doge without inframed ( like pizza cage in SSHM or bakayas fruit debuff , im used Evasive roll + umbrekable ) and reposition fast for dont lose dps/agroo if fiery rage are cd.

block in intimidation mode dont depend resolve ( like lancer/warrior) , depend of mana , and yes, this block sucks sometimes.
  • yimeyime ✭✭
    @MoeBunny
    I know other people have streamed some runs I've been in the past, but wouldn't know where to find them, if they still exist.

@yime
    Actually the biggest piece of advice I have to give people learning to zerk tank, is learn to use Thunderstrike as much as possible.
    I feel like the reputation zerk tanks have for doing "no damage" is because so many people neglect TS.
    Between boss attacks, during mechanics, during weak attacks that you can safely facetank, etc.
    Lots of boss attacks can be avoided by simply walking out of them while charging TS, and then your next Punishing Strike or Raze will put you in position again.
    50 - 60% or more of my damage on each boss comes from TS. It is a massive loss to not use it.

running around with thunderstrike while tanking is not going to lead to fun boss positioning. :/
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    yime wrote: »
    @MoeBunny

@yime

running around with thunderstrike while tanking is not going to lead to fun boss positioning. :/

You can walk back during an attack then forward to use TS and the boss won't move. The same for some other attacks, you can move out of the way while charging then walk to the front and they won't turn again.
  • edited March 2017
    Exactly. You can move away while charging, and move back on release.
    Or like I said, use your next attack to move you back directly in front, the same way any tank class would after iframing/moving away or to the side.