[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

When will TERA be optimized?

Comments

• EndevaEndeva ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tera is being "optimized" for console :wink:
  • Ginjitsu wrote: »

Honestly, you joke but this is probably the best chance there is for optimizations for the PC build. They will have to do some work to get it running properly on consoles, and that will likely include component upgrades and UI optimizations. After that's done, they may port some of that stuff back to the PC. It's probably the best way to do it.

Otherwise, the problem with the "optimizations" now, as we see from this thread, is how wildly inconsistent it is, both based on hardware and on locations/situations in the game. They'll probably never totally solve that.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elinu1 wrote: »
    Resylt wrote: »
    DrAliveMSI wrote: »
    TERA is an amazing game, one of kind really... I just wish I get better fps than 45 on an R9 290. If the devs just focused on optimizing then TERA will be even greater than it is, it is such a good game: even with the bad fps A CRAP ton of people still play it because its that good.
    So why don't they optimize for a month instead of adding content?

I'm currently running it on a GTX 780 (about a hundred bucks cheaper than your R9 290), max settings, and getting flawless 60+ FPS, even while in combat. I've always thought this game was well-optimized. Didn't know the AMD end of things was harsh.

I am gonna call BS on that. I have an i7 6700k and a 1080 gtx and I still drop to 30ish fps in some dungeons and highwatch

It should mostly depend on where you are, but performance varies even with similar hardware. I have a 6700k, although overclocked to 4.6Ghz, reference GTX1070, and 16GB 2,400Mhz RAM and I don't really drop under 40 fps in instances. The only time I drop below that were due to the Growing Fury problems, or the freezes caused by someone disconnecting/reconnecting and the like.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ginjitsu wrote: »

Honestly, you joke but this is probably the best chance there is for optimizations for the PC build. They will have to do some work to get it running properly on consoles, and that will likely include component upgrades and UI optimizations. After that's done, they may port some of that stuff back to the PC. It's probably the best way to do it.

Otherwise, the problem with the "optimizations" now, as we see from this thread, is how wildly inconsistent it is, both based on hardware and on locations/situations in the game. They'll probably never totally solve that.

Exactly.

It's easier to patch and test on two systems with almost the same hardware and make the game run smootly on them than give us a PC version (with all those diferents procesors, GPUs, RAM, etc) that can be rendered the samway for everyone.
    edited March 2017
    Yamazuki wrote: »
    TERA is an amazing game, one of kind really... I just wish I get better fps than 45 on an R9 290. If the devs just focused on optimizing then TERA will be even greater than it is, it is such a good game: even with the bad fps A CRAP ton of people still play it because its that good.

I'm currently running it on a GTX 780 (about a hundred bucks cheaper than your R9 290), max settings, and getting flawless 60+ FPS, even while in combat. I've always thought this game was well-optimized. Didn't know the AMD end of things was harsh.

I am gonna call BS on that. I have an i7 6700k and a 1080 gtx and I still drop to 30ish fps in some dungeons and highwatch

It should mostly depend on where you are, but performance varies even with similar hardware. I have a 6700k, although overclocked to 4.6Ghz, reference GTX1070, and 16GB 2,400Mhz RAM and I don't really drop under 40 fps in instances. The only time I drop below that were due to the Growing Fury problems, or the freezes caused by someone disconnecting/reconnecting and the like.

So FPS drops can be caused for network issues? :p

Edit: Network issue in bold.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    Yamazuki wrote: »

So FPS drops can be caused for network issues? :p

No, because my fps stayed the same. I lived in the East Coast and had ~30 ping and when I moved over 3,000 miles and now have 120~200 ping my fps is the same. The only thing that changed my fps was actually changing hardware. Their memory speed could cause them to have slightly lower minimum fps since more recent CPUs can take advantage of memory speed for CPU intensive applications. There could also be any changes in their Nvidia control panel, since I am not using default settings on my desktop either. Both desktops have altered options that did have a small impact.

Other things to consider are things like temperature, if either the gpu or cpu gets too hot there will be lowered performance. My other desktop had issues with Tera due to the GPU getting too hot, it's a very small case the size of an XBox, so on Tera it would stutter. Some GPUs can see high temps on Tera for some odd reason.
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they will get the servers going down problems fixed for the consoles? I know they wont be playing long if the servers are still going down like they do now, and also the lagging. they will pop a new disk in and play something else. I also hope these things get worked out and then maybe be able to use our pc accounts on the ps4 or xbox, and be able to play on the regular servers with the consoles.
  • msoltysplmsoltyspl ✭✭✭
    They will have to do some work to get it running properly on consoles, and that will unlikely include component upgrades or UI optimizations.

Fixed a bit. It's a cash-grab move.

Sure miracles can happen, but come on.
  • edited March 2017
    msoltyspl wrote: »
    They will have to do some work to get it running properly on consoles, and that will unlikely include component upgrades or UI optimizations.

Fixed a bit. It's a cash-grab move.

Sure miracles can happen, but come on.

They've already specifically announced that they're redoing the UI for a couch experience, so if they're redoing it anyway, I don't think they're going to use the same ancient Scaleform and try to getting it working on PS4/Xbox One (or the same cobbled-together ancient build of UE3 that doesn't contain any of the optimizations Epic did for consoles already).

Your usual pessimism is noted, and I'm not going to say that it's entirely unwarranted, but at this point we have to wait and see. I'm not saying that we will see any improvements on the PC side necessarily, but it's about the only hope we have at this point.
  • msoltysplmsoltyspl ✭✭✭
    Pesimism or not, there's higher chance we will see more side-effects (like we did see a bit already thanks do dps meters, once the [filtered] hit the fan near literally) of recent community mods than from BHS's latest "let's grab some money from console owners, there're so many of them !".
    I don't think they're going to use the same ancient Scaleform and try to getting it working on PS4/Xbox One

They have had over half a decade to do it properly on PC, before touching a concept of getting console owners into their failure of a cashshop. It would be like a logical order of things wouldn't it ? After all the barrels of complaints from their whole playerbase worldwide. For any publisher / developer actually giving a [filtered] about its product that is.

So from two choices: getting antiquie scaleform working as is while dirtying their hands as little as possible - or - getting a new one (or anything else) and making it work with antique Tera codebase - I'm betting for the former.
  • yimeyime ✭✭
    the korean's dont think the game needs to be optimized because their client is infinitely more optimized than our's already.

you can "self" optimize your game through means i can't discuss here but try looking it up on essentialmana
    Nootiful wrote: »
    They spend more time making costumes than they do fixing bugs and optimizing the game. Theres bugs that have been around for years which have never been fixed. For a $1500 computer i do expect to hit more than 20 fps in towns... I'm not even on max settings and I've done the "optimization guide". To be honest, there shouldnt even have to be an optimization guide.

Spacecats has said that EME regularly says we want Optimization and new classes that are not gender locked. Our feedback doesnt get listened to.

If your feedback ($$$) amounts almost nothing on males then is wise to ignore it.
  • EndevaEndeva ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ginjitsu wrote: »

One can only hope... Consoles having the same CPU architecture as PC would theoretically make it easier to port changes. I think it would be smarter to optimize PC version first, and use it as a base for PC and console.
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tera needs CPU, I am on max setttings, fps not so unstable but doesn't drop so hard. Also I don't wanna see everyone in their pantsu, that helps too :D
  • play with 10 fps like me and u will stop complaining about ur 30-45 fps B)