Assuming Direct Control(ler)

edited March 2017 in General Discussion
So some people are wondering how one can play TERA on a controller, what with the game being slated to drop on consoles later this year. Well, here are few videos made by your friendly neighborhood Sage (that's me, in case you were wondering) that go into details how that can be done. Before we start, I am by no means an expert on this; I've been playing for 3 years and I still consider myself a scrub.

All that said, why play on a controller? Well, for me, I don't have the dexterity to play a game like this on a K&M. And TERA has native controller support, so there it is. A match made in heaven, as far as I'm concerned.

---

So, this is 2 parts. Part 1 explains how the controller works as well as few tips here and there, while Part 2 actually shows some gameplay. Enjoy.

Warning: The following videos contain strong language, and I think a rap reference somewhere (I don't remember). Viewer discretion is advised.


Part 1



Part 2

Comments

  • SageWinduSageWindu ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If anyone is unable to watch either of the previous videos (or don't want to, they are kinda long), here's a shorter video from a while back of me running through the Ace Dungeons as my warrior, again playing on a controller. Have fun.



    Music: "Pull the Pin" by Combichrist (from DmC Devil may Cry)
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭
    TERA (heck any PC game) on controller is like a weird taboo, it probably comes more of the "PC MASTER RACE" folks ego than anything tho.
    I can't wait to see PS4/Xbox players wrecking guys from PCs and they be like "no, you are automatically bad cause you use controller, I just had a bad day that's it!"

    it does need some interface polishing tho and the option to swap triggers for buttons actions.
  • KetothKetoth ✭✭✭✭
    ElinLove wrote: »
    TERA (heck any PC game) on controller is like a weird taboo, it probably comes more of the "PC MASTER RACE" folks ego than anything tho.
    I can't wait to see PS4/Xbox players wrecking guys from PCs and they be like "no, you are automatically bad cause you use controller, I just had a bad day that's it!"

    it does need some interface polishing tho and the option to swap triggers for buttons actions.

    the problem is aiming with controller while casting skills and movement at same time.
    You also have more problems accessing the skills (2key presses instead of 1).

    There is a rumor of a test microsoft did with halo 2 about K/M vs Controllers ( casual PC gamers won versus the best controller players).
    And tera doesnt have aim assist ;)


    so i dont see anytime controller players doing better than a k/m any time soon
  • SageWinduSageWindu ✭✭✭
    Ketoth wrote: »
    the problem is aiming with controller while casting skills and movement at same time.
    You also have more problems accessing the skills (2key presses instead of 1).

    There is a rumor of a test microsoft did with halo 2 about K/M vs Controllers ( casual PC gamers won versus the best controller players).
    And tera doesnt have aim assist ;)


    so i dont see anytime controller players doing better than a k/m any time soon

    2 things.

    1) As I said in Part 1, practice, practice, practice. It's a bit wonky, yes, and nowhere near as versatile as a K&M, yes. But it can be overcome with determination, practice, and perseverance.

    2) This isn't a debate about which control scheme is better, as also said in Part 1. In fact, I likened it to the "pad v. arcade stick" in regards to fighting games (that's a lesser analogue, but the fact remains). Hell, I'll be the first to tell you that K&M users have a massive advantage over controller users, and as I said before, I've been playing pad for almost 3 years.

    So in regards to the 2nd point, one may wonder why did I make these videos. Easy: to show it can be done, and how it can be done.


  • feminziifeminzii ✭✭✭
    i almost feel like playing on a controller (at least if doing it well) requires more dexterity than k&m
    but i use a 12 button mouse so that could be the reason why.. i only press 1-5 and alt +1-5 on my keyboard, rest bound to mouse
  • cheekibreekicheekibreeki ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Honestly, aiming/using skills/movement is not difficult at all with a controller. For me at least, it comes natively, as I grew up playing consoles. It's never been a liability for me. If you've ever had to get good at sniping in a FPS on a console, you know what I mean. Me playing kb/mouse is actually more of a liability because it feels unnatural to me.
  • 66ECX7NAN766ECX7NAN7 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Aiming the camera with a mouse is definitely easier. Games that are intended to be played with a controller usually have some sort of system that can automatically control the camera while TERA requires a lot of manual control. Which is not to say that people playing with a controller can't play well, they're just playing a harder version of the same game.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    66ECX7NAN7 wrote: »
    Aiming the camera with a mouse is definitely easier. Games that are intended to be played with a controller usually have some sort of system that can automatically control the camera while TERA requires a lot of manual control. Which is not to say that people playing with a controller can't play well, they're just playing a harder version of the same game.

    I understand the rotation thing, but then I also think: why would I ever need to do ~90° turns in like a millisecond of hand swipe? If I'm on PVP vs a lot of people that I need to deal with so quickly I'll be dead anyway, I'm surrounded. AOE 'em up or dead.
    People seem to come a lot from FPS and overestimate the need for fast camera movement. Most of the time you'll be on target, and then no need to do epic fast rotations, if rotating at all the camera. Remember we don't need to do headshots or hit super tiny targets miles away, our longest ranges for skills that are point hit, no give a wide area (like Mana Missiles) are usually around 18m~22m. Even an Elin or popori is big enough at this range for you to aim easily enough.

    I really only see chat as the issue for 100% controller operation, as I'm one that play on controller and chat with keyboard. Interface is easily fixable but chat is not so easy. That does need a HUGE attention, even if we all know that both PC and console people will stay quiet all the round and then kiss the floor and just type to complain about heals, no matter how easy or hard chat usage is.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    66ECX7NAN7 wrote: »
    Aiming the camera with a mouse is definitely easier. Games that are intended to be played with a controller usually have some sort of system that can automatically control the camera while TERA requires a lot of manual control. Which is not to say that people playing with a controller can't play well, they're just playing a harder version of the same game.

    To tell you the truth the only thing is annoying with controler is the UI.

    About comunication, just as many use Discord and programs like that, ps4 and xboxone users use their voice chat between them to keep in contact.

    Looking at how things are going to be I start thinking that ps4 and xboxone will have their own servers but could make cross IM with us.

    If that is the case I will be sad since I really hope to play with my account on my ps4.
  • MOD EDIT: Hi everyone! I've removed some off-topic posts from this thread. Please remember, this is a post for tips on playing with a controller, not a debate about control schemes. Thanks!
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    ElinLove wrote: »
    I understand the rotation thing, but then I also think: why would I ever need to do ~90° turns in like a millisecond of hand swipe? If I'm on PVP vs a lot of people that I need to deal with so quickly I'll be dead anyway, I'm surrounded. AOE 'em up or dead.
    People seem to come a lot from FPS and overestimate the need for fast camera movement. Most of the time you'll be on target, and then no need to do epic fast rotations, if rotating at all the camera. Remember we don't need to do headshots or hit super tiny targets miles away, our longest ranges for skills that are point hit, no give a wide area (like Mana Missiles) are usually around 18m~22m. Even an Elin or popori is big enough at this range for you to aim easily enough.

    You won't really need it when all non-Roll iframes (aside from Archer who already got theirs) will get directional input soon. (This is expected to come before console release considering KTera has them already). Also it is possible (even though possibly unlikely) to get out of a situation that you think you are dead but actually not, so I am not sure why you think it isn't an advantage.

    Fast Camera movement also helps alot in locking skills fast especially in PvP due to moving targets. It is something PvP healers need way more than Sorc, which still likes it but not needed as much.

    It will be good to have an advantage when sniping mongos doe :^)
Sign In or Register to comment.