From girl gamers...

1235717

Comments

  • Umm.. just wanna say if there are any girls on Lake of Tears Server.. if you would like to add me my IGN is Moka.Chocolat. It would be nice to have some friends who are female like myself. ^_^
  • AvignonAvignon ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Just reading the first post irks me in so many ways. I have never been treated like some rare unicorn, I have never been told I can't do something, or that something will fail, because of my gender. I've never felt the need to hide my gender nor have I ever done so. Anyone I've played with on a regular basis knows I'm female. I have only twice had someone who creeped me out a bit, and considering I've been playing since Tera went free to play that says something. I've never been treated any different, in any of the 11 guild I've been in, because I'm female. I'm invited on runs, never handed things because I'm female. I don't get special treatment that is negative or positive.

    The fact that the author paints with such a wide brush I suppose is what irks me. I see a lot of people saying similar things have happened to them. But for everyone one of you how many have never had an issue? How many are like me?

    All I'm getting from this is feminist bs and people who have delicate little feels and can't handle certain things. I've had someone flirt with me - flirted right back. I've had people creep me out...you know they have a block option - right? Global...I think most people ignore it, it's generally a place for trolls and other bs that is irrelevant.

    I mean people are talking about not getting into a team speak or discord, with guildies, to run things! Seriously...you won't get into a chat speak to run a dungeon cause of your gender? If you're so damn delicate and easy to upset then guess what? Don't speak just listen. I've found that most people aren't that bad. Must just be all of you, the ones complaining, who had terrible luck. I have never felt uncomfortable with a guild, I have joined a guild and within moments been in team speak with them and talking and laughing by the end of the night.

    To be honest, aside from the two people who creeped me out, the worst I ever had happen was from two different females. One who called me out, in global, for my sexuality and yelled at me for half an hour (thankfully that was well over a year ago) and a former guild leader of mine who lied and told guildies I was a lesbian and that was the only important thing about me...oh and that I apparently had a thing for her - another lie.

    So really it's not the gender but rather the player. The issue isn't male players vs. female players but rather just [filtered] vs. normal person.

    Let's face it though, this is a game with how many people playing. It's a mix bag of people and personalities...and this is a game. So just get over your [filtered] and enjoy the game. I'm tired of this whole females in gaming crap you see all over the internet, it's annoying and immature. The supposed image of a female gamer and all that...dude look at what most of you females, the ones pushing an agenda and whining, think of male gamers.
  • VenpaiVenpai ✭✭✭
    @Avignon

    the fact the op is painting with a broad brush is because this happens a lot, and it's something many female gamers deal with. you may be rude in this post and have a nasty attitude towards 'feminism' (i guess women just talking about something they've experienced is feminism now lol) but i'm genuinely glad you haven't had to deal with any of this crap, because no one deserves it.

    it's not about 'delicate' feelings. it's about tired of being the butt of jokes, creeped on, hit on, put into uncomfortable situations, harassed. we put up with enough of it in the real world, we don't want to deal with online too. are there some women who want to be treated special because they're girl gamers? probably. (never ran across one personally). are there guys who genuinely don't act like pigs towards women? of course.

    but the fact of the matter is this is a common issue in the game industry, and it's exhausting to deal with. why is wanted to not be treated like anything less than human so radical and extreme 'feminism'. likes yes OBVIOUSLY there's many people in this game from many walks of life. but many of those people from those many walks of life still feed into this crap.
  • Mobius1Mobius1 ✭✭✭
    I assumed the feminism part she spoke of, had to do with some of the derogatory statements made towards men.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    Venpai wrote: »
    but the fact of the matter is this is a common issue in the game industry,

    Is it now? Then how come there are girls who've not only never experienced it but also never saw it happen to anybody else? And by "it" I mean unprovoked mistreatement, harassment or gender-based insults. Maybe, just maybe, if it's so common to you while some of us never ever come across it...could it possibly be because of something you are doing? I did explain it earlier but the moderator deemed that post to be off-topic so, obviously, I won't do it again.
  • Love this ! my experience has not been as such but still valid points. My guild is mostly male very friendly and helps whenever I need :) I wish there were more females out there to play with!
  • KertainKertain ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I just wanna leave an RL example that happened while I was at university, and leave it for you guys to see the similarities and differences from what is happening here.

    I went to an engineering school = mostly men, just like in games.
    There was more than two girls on my class but I'll only talk about two of them.

    One of them hanged out with the guys talking [filtered] like guys do, she would get her hands dirty when work was needed to do, she studied hard when it was time to stud. She never had a single person, man or woman badmouth her.

    The other started crying during a lab test, everyone thinking it was because she didn't know what to do in the test but actually it was because she and her boyfriend broke. This girl was not insulted but very few ppl wanted to work/study around her because of the drama she could bring along with her at any given time.

    Now knowing that in the internet everyone has a big virtual p****, even girls, what in RL is leaving her on the side converts into insults in the game, therefore I'm not surprised the person opening this topic was called attention w****.

    (I could mention that if this post exist is because someone is trying to grab attention, but I won't)

    To the ones saying, games are discriminatory against girls I just want to remember they developed to the level they are right now because of guys, and guys won't abandon them because girls feels bad playing. Same way engineering won't stop existing because girls are afraid to break a nail on a heavier job. There will always be guys and even better there will be more and more girls that ain't afraid of breaking a nail.

    One more thing, much more disgusting than what guys do to girls, is what girly girls do to girls called "tomboyish", why does that expression even exist right????
  • The cave is still the safest place, uhm, true true.
  • KishaSenKishaSen
    edited May 2016
    Apparently you didn't read thread well.

    This thread isn't "Everything that happened to just me", it is more like "Thing that is happening to everyone with V down there". I'm speaking of my own personal experience, of experience of my girl-friends and of other people who I know to be girls and get called as they do.

    Was this post made for attention? OF COURSE!!!
    Isn't that point of making threads on any forums? To bring attention to certain topics so it can be discussed? And I want to bring attention once and for all about "girl gamers" and seriously why the name "girl gamers"? Game comes first, my gender should never! And yet I'm unicorn of "girl gamers" lol Also for tomboy thing, origin of that F-ing word in first place. And also stop making it sound as if only girls use that term and as if it was offensive. I'm proud tomboy myself and I prefer tomboy term over "d y k e" nickname that guys tend to give to females who cut their hair short.
  • KertainKertain ✭✭✭
    @Khatarsis
    Well if the cave teaches me equality, yeah it is, at least I'm not an arrogant [filtered] that changes the way i treat a person for their gender, nor am I someone that gives birth to drama, if someone brings drama to me i use the cave solution as you'll probably call it, block the person and move on, if on RL may be a bit more complicated, god still hasn't added that option on the patch

    @KishaSen
    Of course a post is made to call atention to a topic, it is a topic though that as far as i've seen the replies theres more girls saying "nothing of the sort happened to me" than girls saying "OMG THAT IS SO TRUE", which kinda makes your point just that, YOUR point.

    I'm currently contacting some gamers of the female gender if that is a preferable treatment for you and showing them your post, they are all giving the same reply I'm thinking of you though.

    Second I don't need to know the origin of a word, I need to know when and where is being used in my time and in the society I live in, and the only persons that use it are girls jealous of other girls that hang around boys with much more ease than themselves.
  • VenpaiVenpai ✭✭✭
    TWMagimay wrote: »
    Venpai wrote: »
    but the fact of the matter is this is a common issue in the game industry,

    Is it now? Then how come there are girls who've not only never experienced it but also never saw it happen to anybody else? And by "it" I mean unprovoked mistreatement, harassment or gender-based insults. Maybe, just maybe, if it's so common to you while some of us never ever come across it...could it possibly be because of something you are doing? I did explain it earlier but the moderator deemed that post to be off-topic so, obviously, I won't do it again.

    because they're the few lucky ones that it doesn't happen to. honestly, you would think since SO many people talk about it, that it's not just a weird rare occurrence. but you like to argue for the sake of [filtered] arguing. i don't even think you believe half the [filtered] that spews from your mouth tbh.
  • TheCatalystTheCatalyst ✭✭✭
    Haha, ok lol lmfao

    So.. now we all can hold hands and sing kumbaya together around the bon fire, right?

    No? We're not at that point yet?

    Ok.. I just wait then..

    :(
  • Haha, ok lol lmfao

    So.. now we all can hold hands and sing kumbaya together around the bon fire, right?

    No? We're not at that point yet?

    Ok.. I just wait then..

    :(

    Don't forget to charm us and bring up some BBQ so we get higher stamina while you are it at lol

  • SinastriaSinastria ✭✭✭
    It's kind of strange that i live in another country, and females gamers aren't actually so rare. Well, discussions like this one are even rarer.
  • KatsumiNekoKatsumiNeko ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Sinastria wrote: »
    It's kind of strange that i live in another country, and females gamers aren't actually so rare. Well, discussions like this one are even rarer.
    Female who play games aren't rare at all! Gonna borrow quote
    "KishaSen wrote: »
    I'm that race of "gamer girls" that is apparently more rare then unicorn...despite the fact that there are seriously tons of us in this game lol but hey, guys of this game says we are rare to none-existent and what majority says then so it is

    ^^^
    In short people in online games, especially MMO-s tend to make it as if we are. So there is always sh*tstorm when they discover there are females among them and things as listed from this thread tend to happen.


This discussion has been closed.