[PC] We will be entering into server maintenance on 8/22 at 6am PDT. For details, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/terapcmaintenance

Which would you prefer: a tank class or Thrall of Protection tanking?

Due to there being tons of ninjas leveling, Kitty's started leveling tank classes and she's got to notice how mystics' Thrall of Protection steals the aggro when it hits a boss. Almost all mystics Kitty's squaded with have been using it at bosses 'cause "it's better DPS!" and ofc once ToP has taken aggro, there's no hope of regaining it before it's dead.

So, which would you people prefer: a tank class keeping aggro or Thrall of Protection tanking?

Pros/Cons of ToP tanking:
+ Tank can go DPSing
+ Mystic does extra DPS
+ Once ToP has taken aggro, there's no need to take extra care of tank's HP
- Bosses move a LOT so it's hard to get behind the boss for backcrits

Pros/Cons of tank class tanking:
+ Boss doesn't move much as tank can stop rush moves by blocking -> DPSers have easier time staying behind the boss for backcrits
+ Boss does less surprising moves so DPSers don't get surprise hit so easily
+ Since boss doesn't move much, tank can concentrate on hitting the boss instead of chasing it
- Tank does slightly less DPS due to having to spend time blocking (Not really a case with Lancers)
- Healer must be aware of tank's HP (Not really a con with good tanks)

Comments

• AcendiaAcendia ✭✭✭
    This is for leveling? Grab wrathful for Ninja and tank with that. Only good/decent tanks can steal aggro from you if you keep up the dps and dont use Decoy, as in just stay in front and dodge attacks.
  • AngelishAngelish ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Ziomicio wrote: »
    Does ToP really take aggro that easily on low levels? I didn't notice this when leveling up my mystic. I'm not sure it can hold aggro against a dps that has a correct setup (rather than the 4 pounding you see on first time characters) even on low levels.

Anyway if you have a tank let him do his job (or at least let him learn how to do it). I could see this being useful only if you have a 4dps + mystic party.

Thrall can keep aggro against anything thats not a tank with the correct setup. Even then it will probably keep aggro. I usually keep mine out and just run around to let it aggro everything in the dungeon.
  • kedroskedros ✭✭
    I use all my thralls in combat, and never seen one taking aggro :confounded:
    even when there was no tank to begin with, 4 dps + mystic (me), ToP hasnt been able to steal aggro ...
  • AngelishAngelish ✭✭✭
    Its the exact opposite for me, I have never seen anyone take aggro from my ToP aside from a single brawler.
  • ToP will keep agro from bad players when leveling, the amount of ninjas I inspected and saw had either no crystals, random crystals, or full pounding on is crazy instead of the general back-crit setup, especially given just how incredibly easy it is to consistently get behind a BAM and even CC a group of mobs so you can get behind them and AoE them.

ToP at 65 doesn't do nothing for me at end game unless I wait a short period for it to gain agro, it still only manages to holds agro if it isn't getting knocked all over the place, the problem is that it's always getting knocked all over the place and I steal agro from it as a mystic, and when a BAM inflicts that hp% debuff then it's as good as done.
  • SaphirKanzakiSaphirKanzaki ✭✭✭✭
    Crashira wrote: »
    or full pounding on is crazy instead of the general back-crit setup
    Not everyone plays like you. Instead of spamming backstep or evade, a single sidestep is enough to keep on attacking from the front (or side) without being hit. And in this case, full pounding is the best solution.

I wouldn't even call a ToP a tank. Due to the ToP attack pattern (several strikes, moving forward) you have the boss randomly running around and your back-crit crystal setup is totally useless - for 3 DPS players. Besides that, we are talking about leveling dungeons only. Try to imagine a ToP at Kalivan. Senseless jumping into the water, not dodging the charges, placing the boss badly so players get squished and so on.

• KaidunKaidun
    edited May 2016
    I would like a summoner class with complete and absolute control of thralls , with 10 or more special skills only for the thrall and other 10 commands

Not the same pokemon-like crap summoner class like in other rpg games , but a class that relies on perfect collaboration and synchrony between you and the thrall .
  • Crashira wrote: »
    Not everyone plays like you. Instead of spamming backstep or evade, a single sidestep is enough to keep on attacking from the front (or side) without being hit. And in this case, full pounding is the best solution.

Oh look, it's one of these "not everyone plays like you" people...please bro, get clued in, anyone that "plays like me" would be considered to have common sense, not a lazy sod, and has some sense of skill. If you already have a character a 65 and know the game and still refuse to go into leveling dungeons without back crit, then you're just pure lazy, if you head into end game content with full pounding because "a single sidestep is enough to keep on attacking from the front (or side) without being hit." then have fun being kicked from LFGs and possibly even IMs.
  • ArchangelicaArchangelica ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Due to there being tons of ninjas leveling, Kitty's started leveling tank classes and she's got to notice how mystics' Thrall of Protection steals the aggro when it hits a boss. Almost all mystics Kitty's squaded with have been using it at bosses 'cause "it's better DPS!" and ofc once ToP has taken aggro, there's no hope of regaining it before it's dead.

So, which would you people prefer: a tank class keeping aggro or Thrall of Protection tanking?

Pros/Cons of ToP tanking:
    + Tank can go DPSing
    + Mystic does extra DPS
    + Once ToP has taken aggro, there's no need to take extra care of tank's HP
    - Bosses move a LOT so it's hard to get behind the boss for backcrits

Pros/Cons of tank class tanking:
    + Boss doesn't move much as tank can stop rush moves by blocking -> DPSers have easier time staying behind the boss for backcrits
    + Boss does less surprising moves so DPSers don't get surprise hit so easily
    + Since boss doesn't move much, tank can concentrate on hitting the boss instead of chasing it
    - Tank does slightly less DPS due to having to spend time blocking (Not really a case with Lancers)
    - Healer must be aware of tank's HP (Not really a con with good tanks)

Ok I have to point it out cuz it facking bothers me, why you say Kitty as if its someone else when its actually you? Do you actually walk up to someone in real life and when they ask you your name you go like, "Her name is Kitty"? xDD omfg.
    BACK TO TOPIC THO
    Yeah i prefer actual tanks over thrall, because thrall knows no positioning while tanks do know where to position themselves so dps get them juicy backcrits.
  • SaphirKanzakiSaphirKanzaki ✭✭✭✭

Oh look, it's one of these "not everyone plays like you" people...please bro, get clued in, anyone that "plays like me" would be considered to have common sense, not a lazy sod, and has some sense of skill. If you already have a character a 65 and know the game and still refuse to go into leveling dungeons without back crit, then you're just pure lazy, if you head into end game content with full pounding because "a single sidestep is enough to keep on attacking from the front (or side) without being hit." then have fun being kicked from LFGs and possibly even IMs.

You didnt read my whole post. No need to answer you and explain that I'm fully aware what a back crit crystal setup is.
  • AcendiaAcendia ✭✭✭
    You didnt read my whole post. No need to answer you and explain that I'm fully aware what a back crit crystal setup is.

Well, I read it and you're still wrong. If you're going to be staying at the front, there is absolutely no reason to leave out Wrathful crystal.
  • CatoriiCatorii ✭✭✭
    ToP can't tank and can't position bosses. It flops all over the place at random, and no, it won't hold aggro over a DPS using the right crystals even at low levels. At 65, forget about it.

But in general, for thrall tanking to be in any way something more than an outright nuisance, it'd not need to run right through mobs/bosses as it attacks, because part of tanking is making sure the boss doesn't aim that highest-aggro oneshot at the rest of your party.
  • I have 3 Mystics at this point (what I like the different races). Yes you can position with a Thrall, and since a few updates came through you can lock down agro with the ToP. Just move yourself and use the attack and follow commands. Now don't get all butt hurt you so called know it all l337's. I don't tank with my ToP in GS217+ dungeons. I use it for what it's name implies "Protection". If a loose mob comes after me, instead of running around like some nut job I command my thrall to attack that mob to get it off of me. Or if the tank takes some burst damage Il send the thrall in and have a msg macroed for the tank to retreat and grab a mote. If the ToP is Glyph-ed out hes a beast. In pvp hes an arsehole, Kite like a pro! fpr the grammar Nazi's, I left you some typos and err's, bust a nut on it.