[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Why Are Normal Alkahest Prices So High?

cAgTLBm.png

So I go to try and enchant my Valkarie Guile gear, and I only have about 3,000 gold. I decided to buy 128 Tier 10 alkahests to allow myself a total of 8 tries to enchant. The total cost of that was 1369 gold and 60 silver, almost half of my total amount of gold.

Am I the only one that finds that a little ridiculous? Look at tier 7 and 8 alkahest. There's no gear set that uses those anymore. They're not needed. Can't their price be reduced so we can also reduce the Tier 10 alkahest prices? Even Tier 11 alkahest prices, being what they are, rival Extensive Alkahest prices on the broker, which go for about 12.5g each on TR. That's a little bit insane if you ask me. This isn't even out the economy anymore, this is just about can players who've just reached 65 even afford to enchant their gear at all?

Not to mention that after 8 tries of enchanting, 3 of those tries were fails, essentially wasting 513.6 gold. 500+ gold is not a small amount of gold, especially for people who just got to 65.

Am I the only one who's thinking this, or can anyone else at least consider that normal alkahest prices between Tier 6 and 9 are too high for how little they're used?

Comments

• EndevaEndeva ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Jordansb1 wrote: »

Because its a goldsink :expressionless:
  • KetothKetoth ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    if you think that expensive wait until you masterwork and +12 after it
    you are not suppose to get full guillie +12 in your first character 65 in less than 4days. you will have to farm for it
  • edited April 2017
    Ginjitsu wrote: »

Not really, that gold you spend on merchants, gets distributed to CU winner. :3
  • MinimanaMinimana ✭✭✭
    There's something wrong if you are trying to enchant tier 10 gear and you only have 3k gold.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ginjitsu wrote: »

Gold sinks don't exist. At this point the mid and lower tier alks should just have a lower cost since the gold is just being distributed to millionaires/billionaires anyways.
  • GrievuuzGrievuuz ✭✭✭
    Minimana wrote: »
    There's something wrong if you are trying to enchant tier 10 gear and you only have 3k gold.

He's completely new. You basically get a (literally) free +12 slaughter weap on valk, and the other pieces are so easy to enchant that even new people start working on guile almost immediately after hitting 65 :p

I had a laugh at the "500+ gold is not a small amount" comment though, because it _is_ a small amount to anyone above 60 ><
  • MinimanaMinimana ✭✭✭
    Grievuuz wrote: »
    Minimana wrote: »

He's completely new. You basically get a (literally) free +12 slaughter weap on valk, and the other pieces are so easy to enchant that even new people start working on guile almost immediately after hitting 65 :p

I had a laugh at the "500+ gold is not a small amount" comment though, because it _is_ a small amount to anyone above 60 ><

But after hitting lvl 65 there's some quests that reward you with lots of emeralds and rubies, and you still need to do dungeons to get the gear to start with, so how do you end with just 3k gold when you decide to start enchanting guile? I mean if he's having trouble to enchant to +9 cant wait for the thread about masterworking it.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    You earn like 250g per Kumas Royale win or other BGs. You literally earn the 3K in a few hours of BGs if you know what you're doing (yes, a good player can carry so much on these BGs like Iron and Kumas, and teach the bad ones to actually not need much carry).
    I'm lazy, horribly lazy, and I have like 80K right now on bank + tons and TONS on costumes and gear, mid tier one for that matter.

Yes, you're starting, and the game is not supposed to be that fast to hit the best in slot gear and get costumes. It's supposed to take a lot of effort, and it takes quite little effort actually in proportion to what it used to be.
    The game is VERY starter friendly, if it gets any easier it will just make people leave cause no challenge.

A MMO's economy is pretty real life like. Too easy to earn gold? Gold loses value. I remember when your statement that 500+ gold is not a small amount held true, when EMP was 1:10 rate and you could only earn 90g + 150g a day on battlegrounds (ONE Kumasylum and ONE Corsair's Stronghold win), there was this mutual value thing. Now that you literally get blasted with 240g ~ 280g per battleground win, and it's repeatable as long as you want until you cap the vanguard daily counter and it starts to lower the prize, that easy to obtain gold loses it's value. Cause it's easy to come by. And since it's so easy, people have a lot of it, and EMP also goes by the rule and increased to 1:30 quite fast, then now stabilized at like 1:40.
  • Do dungeons/battlegrounds/etc for a week, farm some stuff to sell on broker.

I remember getting hit with the price wall on my first character, and how everything seemed to expensive and out of reach. Now, I have spent probably 500k on broker this patch and I have 130k in the bank currently. Just grind for a bit :)
  • https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FhKjD8iqwgGPN0kSkXLp7f1FFz0T4KAAI5lqyEtihks/edit?usp=sharing
    ^ is outdated and most values depend on which server your on to be exact, but it might give some insight on good earning strategies (perhaps)...
    (the numbers assume you sell everything you receive from dungeons/buy with credits on broker so take that in mind)

it should be quite easy to earn good amounts of gold if you do 8 vanguard quests each day. just daoing that is a minimum of 1.600g in raw gold. you can sell all the extra drops or use up the credits you get for valuables and earn even more. It shouldn't be hard or tedious to earn gold for enchanting

Why EME/BHS should NOT reduce the cost is because this is one of the few and basic goldsink this game still offers. I cant think of many others...
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    kedros wrote: »
    [...]
    Why EME/BHS should NOT reduce the cost is because this is one of the few and basic goldsink this game still offers. I cant think of many others...

I can only think of the battle solutions, TP scrolls and yeah, those alkahests. If they added some more enchanting stuff on the merchants it sure would become another gold sink, but then I imagine they would end up cutting too much of the player to player exchange economy, and killing the entire farming process.
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggest reason I can give you is NEON MONGOS DIDN'T DROP THEM, Thankfully? :p
  • hehehe Master alk is 10g too... hehe
  • EndevaEndeva ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElinLove wrote: »
    kedros wrote: »
    [...]

I can only think of the battle solutions, TP scrolls and yeah, those alkahests. If they added some more enchanting stuff on the merchants it sure would become another gold sink, but then I imagine they would end up cutting too much of the player to player exchange economy, and killing the entire farming process.

I suggested VM designs to be available by vendors at 100k-200k+ per scroll.
  • msoltysplmsoltyspl ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    So I go to try and enchant my Valkarie Guile gear, and I only have about 3,000 gold. I decided to buy 128 Tier 10 alkahests to allow myself a total of 8 tries to enchant. The total cost of that was 1369 gold and 60 silver, almost half of my total amount of gold.

This is the situation every genuinly new player will face, and the solutions are essentially:

- mindlessly grind boring "content" over and over again (up to the daily cap if you have that much free time) and play one-arm bandit machine; note that silly suggestions to sell what you grind usally don't apply - as you need a lot of what you're grinding for yourself in the first place
    - or, throw money at the cash shop and sell EMP in game
    - or, play broker (requires elite sub and patience in fishing good whales, then finding buyers in quite depopulated environment)