[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

What is EME's plan on fixing server lag?

Comments

• Elinu1Elinu1 Canada ✭✭✭✭
    I have barely experienced lag at all, don't know why it lags for some but not others.
  • VxiVxi ✭✭
    Seance wrote: »
    I imagine their plan is that, once more people start subbing and spending money in the cash shop instead of so many playing for free, they can afford better server architecture and services. ;)

So now the ball is in the players' court. It's so easy to make demands when you're not the one paying to make it all happen.

Because people are extremely excited to financially support a game that they can't even play. Why would someone even pay money for EMP or elite with the state of the game like this?
  • Dw triple drop coming with new reward called "lag"
  • edited April 2017
    Elinu1 wrote: »
    I have barely experienced lag at all, don't know why it lags for some but not others.

that right there is a very good very good question. I asked a similar one in another thread ....these devs must be ok with creating multiple threads on the same topic

KentaGrace wrote: »
    . We all know the servers are laggy.

That is not a fact. Some of us have no lag or technical issues . Nothing in this entire speech proves that is a server side issues you make a g ood speech but really it has about as much substance as reparable rousing propaganda.

every mmo you go to you see a subset of players who complain about lag / bad optimisation when other players are having no issues at all.

Before you go making a snowball into an avalanche at leas t have fact ... How many people are activity playing tera and how many are having these issues

say just for example its only 20% of the entire user base then its most likely not a server issue but a user based and or user isp isuse

I suspect also that a portion of that number is trying to "squeak by" on minimum spec and sub optimal internet connection -- which is where the optimisation complaints come in.

i have detailed my entire experience so far as well as my system spec in another thread here

https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/13238/waves-hi-and-a-few-questions#latest

InWin 703 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Front USB3.0 Audio W/WINDOW Black / Red (703 Black /
    Red),
    2 Antec TriCool 120MM Red LED Case Fan 3/4 Pin W/ 3 Speed Switch (TriCool 120mm Red LED)
    2 Thermaltake AC0032 LUMI "RED" LED STRIP
    1 Coolermaster G750M 750W 80+ Bronze Semi Modular ATX Power Supply (RS-750-AMAA-B1),
    MSI Z97 Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 4K HDMI USB3.0, built in
    Creative Sound Blaster Cinema 2 sound, Killer E2200 Gaming Network port, Motherboard,
    1 Intel Core i7 I7-4790 Haswell 3.6GHZ Processor LGA1150 8MB Cache Retail (BX80646I74790),
    Coolermaster Hyper TX Series Aluminum 3-HEATPIPE CPU Cooler S1155/1156/775/AM3/AM2/939/940
    (RR-910-HTX3-G1),
    2 Kingston 8GB HyperX Fury Red DDR3, 1866MHz, CL10, 1.5V, 240-pin DIMM (HX318C10FR/8)
    LG UH12NS30 12X BD-ROM Reading & Max 16x DVD-R Writing Speed Blu-Ray Combo OEM No
    Software (UH12NS30),
    2 Samsung 850 EVO Series MZ-75E500B/AM 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD With AES 256 Encryption
    (MZ-75E500B/AM), SN
    1 GeForce GTX 970

Im probably upgrading to a Geforce GTX 1070/1080

I also have a consistent 52mb/s internet connection

So how does that work

How can i be fine on the same server that is supposedly broken laggy and poorly optimised for others .

If you have a factual and logical answer to this question please enlighten me .

• that right there is a very good very good question. I asked a similar one in another thread ....these devs must be ok with creating multiple threads on the same topic

It looks like they are when the problem is this widespread.

A game with as small of a population as this one can ill afford to lose players / customers due to technical issues (those that they can control anyway). Just look at global chat or party chat, the most common thing said is LAGGGGGG.

If the issue is as widespread as it seems to be (global / party / guild chats) with it being the never ending topic of conversation in game, then eme should be a little more vocal about what they are doing to alleviate the problems for there customers and the perspective customers (free players).

The forums are always the unhappy/ angry / complainer / white knights, who will argue what they want / want to believe to no end without listening to reason and should thus be acknowledged and then mostly ignored. A constantly reoccurring topic that is also a topic of discussion in game, should be allowed to persist and more closely scrutinized.

As for myself lag was not a issue for me pre Valk patch, now it is a very large issue as I can only participate in solo content. Pre Val patch I was playing Brawler and Priest (roles that are needed) and having a lot of fun, now I farm bams, kill tasty watermelons and /dance because I have a few one second lag spikes every minute or so in instances and that is unacceptable in tank / healing roles. Pre Val, I was spending money on this game and using a unhealthy portion of my free time on it. Presently, I am not spending money and staying online for far less time, today around a hour (for me that is nothing). I am not saying ima quit or fix yo chit or fok u ema, I am saying I cannot have fun with this present technical issue persisting in game and I would love for a solution to be presented here or elsewhere so I can go back to pre valk fun.

• huge lag tonight for myself and several friends.
  • edited April 2017
    @Jinsoyun in response please see my reply 3 other posters here https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/13485/regarding-the-lag#latest
  • msoltysplmsoltyspl ✭✭✭
    Elinu1 wrote: »

Server lag kicks in randomly. You will notice it when you're in combat and in dugneon. And when it happens as it is now - the whole party experiences it.
  • This all started when they added dragon mounts. I'd guess it's probably something to do with them. There's only more of them now, and there's more lag now. Idk how the server handles it, but it could be to do with their proc rng calculations on an increasingly wide scale. It doesn't really make sense to me, but that is when the lag started happening.

Valkyrie only helped to make it worse and that is for sure. Not sure if HH is to blame for anything.
  • MelyodisMelyodis ✭✭✭
    does our CM KNOW WHAT a server upgrade is he must have just seen them changing a part and calling it upgrade that comment was in DEC 2016 AND THIS year we had the servers crashing over and over 3 times in a week server upgrade lololololololol shoot me I may be dreaming
  • ArcherOfEnvyArcherOfEnvy Netherlands ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Melyodis wrote: »
    does our CM KNOW WHAT a server upgrade is he must have just seen them changing a part and calling it upgrade that comment was in DEC 2016

hIBJ0E3.jpg
    Do you think a CM's job is oversee server upgrades or interacting with the community and inform us of the happenings that revolve around TERA? They have Technical Engineers for this kind of stuff. You really need to stop being so negative. Servers don't come cheap, don't assume them for buying refurbished servers either. A single 1U server (different prices apply with different providers and resellers) costs about $10 dollars in terms of hosting it. I am assuming EME owns their hardware for TERA as publisher and well if you buy a server, depending on the hardware initially configured and installed on purchase, you'd be $3K - 5K poorer in your wallet. Bare metal server costs about: (converted from EUR) maybe roughly $1.2K and up?
    Melyodis wrote: »
    THIS year we had the servers crashing over and over 3 times in a week server upgrade lololololololol shoot me I may be dreaming

That was due to failing hardware, which wasn't the game servers itself but a networking component that handles connection to and from those servers and so [filtered] happened. It got fixed, what more do you want?
  • ArcherOfEnvyArcherOfEnvy Netherlands ✭✭✭
    Furthermore, now everything being all about "The Cloud™".

It has gotten a bit cheaper, AWS, DO, Akamai CDNs, Cloudflare CDNs, Cloudflare DDOS, all those services are a part of the server infrastructure.
    If they are indeed using AWS for their services, again, it's not cheap: Bandwith costs, per usage costs, given that the servers are 24/7 available (not including maintenance and outages beyond their control downtime), per month or per year costs are quite high as well. You try running a business if you think [filtered] comes cheap and readily available?
  • I think we won't have improvements nor any major server changes maybe lil server tweaks with srever config that wont be really noticed till the new tera platforms arrive, servers distributions merges new ones? or whataver they plan to do wich remains unknown yet so atm i just avoid hardest modes cause even if you are skilled the result can be unpredictable due lotta stuff you mentioned above I only use ninja for those lol just move and pray
  • From MT tonight have sometimes lag, but we can run rmhm/hh good :3