Playing as a Mystic: PICK UP THE HEALS

Comments

• ObsObs ✭✭✭
    YNMMLY9M39 wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »
    What needed to be said has basically already been said. Motes are not a primary heal. It's almost if I used Restorative Burst as my primary heal and got angry if DPS/tank said I was a bad healer. I always like to think that if I can't keep a party alive (even if it is 100% their fault) then I need to improve as a healer. These days I sometimes question how it is I got the IMS party to clear when each and every player gets hit by each and every mechanic...but they still don't die because Mommy took care of them. :3

Well maybe I made a mistake, then. I DO use the motes a lot on EARLY levels, since until you hit around the 60's, you don't really have a lot of healing options..

Why do you even need options? Titanic Favor does everything you need. Locking on to your party should not take more than a couple of seconds if you have decent ping. It easily heals for around half their HP. Motes are almost exclusively for a throwable cleanse.

I need options because I like to be prepared ^^

That's why playing priest is so easy for me because they have so many AoE heals and everything, and then you play mystic and leveling makes you want to cry :(

I guess the only solution for me would be to remove the mana motes from my skill bar, and refrain from using the motes unless I have to. This actually has helped me a lot, so thank you for your input! :proud:

Your lock on is an AoE Heal. You don't need to heal more than 4 people with it so...

You don't need options because it's on a 2.5 second cooldown with a near instant cast time. It also heals for more than half people's HP while leveling so I see no problems. Priests have more healing skills because their lock on heal is a lot worse than Titanic Favor.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Viauxi wrote: »
    I have been playing Mystic for over 4 years. Let me tell you something, straight up. This is a general PSA to everyone as well.
    What separates an okay Mystic from a pro Mystic that everyone wants in their static is how they approach healing. If anyone dies in your party that is solely your responsibility, so own up to it. Period. Don't try to blame it on motes. Even if everyone in your party is hot garbage, if they die, it is your fault. It is not the party's job to pick up your motes or avoid taking damage, but it is YOUR job to make sure they are healthy, no matter what. I'm not saying that every single death is literally your fault, because in reality everyone is at fault to a degree when an error is made. But this is the general mentality you have to have if you want to play this class at a higher level.

The biggest problems I see with new mystics is they expect people to pick up their motes and rage at the party when people start dying. Placing your motes and hoping for the best is not the proper way to play this class.

People aren't picking your motes up? So what. Utilize the rest of your kit and do not let them die.
    I generally don't even drop motes most of the time. I know when motes are needed based on the difficulty of the dungeon and the skill level of the people in my party. Technically you will know how much faith I have in the party based on how many motes are lying around. When there is a low margin for error you will see practically none, when there is a high margin for error they will be everywhere. There was a period of time when I stopped using motes completely, and I recommend newer players try playing like this for a little while as well (in EASIER low risk content).

Why?
    It will develop your healing instinct/reflex. This will show you how well you do at ACTIVELY keeping your team alive.
    When you don't drop motes it forces you to rely on your own ability to heal and removes any scapegoat you can blame if someone in your party dies. If someone takes damage, you heal them. No excuses. Your titanic favor has like a 2 second CD there is literally no reason why it took you 10 seconds to heal someone because you were hoping he would pick up your motes. Honestly the last thing a DPS/TANK is probably worrying about is stopping their rotation to find your motes in the middle of an intense fight.

Once you build your healing reflex then go ahead and put motes back in your general rotation. You will find that half the time you may even forget to place them and other times you will somehow know when they should be used.
    Same concept with cleanse (which is even more important to be able to do quickly and consistently) don't rely on motes to cleanse your party for you. Ever.

Keep this in mind:
    Motes are a convenience tool for when sh*t starts to hit the fan (the healer dies, everyone is low health, everyone is CCed, everyone is scattered, etc). When things go south, [filtered] are they helpful and it will likely save the party from a wipe. Motes should only be picked up by you/your party as a last resort. It is an option of recovery that is unique to mystic that the priest doesn't have. They offer a ton of utility, but as many said, don't rely on them to the job for you.

This is just bad advice overall.
    You shouldn't take every death as your fault, you should be able to figure out wen you completely messed up, when you could've reacted better if you'd been more prepared and when there was nothing you could do about it. Constantly blaming yourself for everything that goes wrong won't make you a better healer, it'll just makke you an annoying one especially if you decide to keep apologising *shivers*
    Dropping motes is a really good habit to have in general because you never know when something bad is going to happen to you or when you'll do something stupid and there's no back-up plan on the floor. Dropping motes should not compel you to sit on your thumbs and wait for people to pick them up. If you need to actively stop yourself form moting in order to figure out how to heal...*clears throat*
  • YNMMLY9M39 wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »
    What needed to be said has basically already been said. Motes are not a primary heal. It's almost if I used Restorative Burst as my primary heal and got angry if DPS/tank said I was a bad healer. I always like to think that if I can't keep a party alive (even if it is 100% their fault) then I need to improve as a healer. These days I sometimes question how it is I got the IMS party to clear when each and every player gets hit by each and every mechanic...but they still don't die because Mommy took care of them. :3

Well maybe I made a mistake, then. I DO use the motes a lot on EARLY levels, since until you hit around the 60's, you don't really have a lot of healing options..

Why do you even need options? Titanic Favor does everything you need. Locking on to your party should not take more than a couple of seconds if you have decent ping. It easily heals for around half their HP. Motes are almost exclusively for a throwable cleanse.

I need options because I like to be prepared ^^

That's why playing priest is so easy for me because they have so many AoE heals and everything, and then you play mystic and leveling makes you want to cry :(

I guess the only solution for me would be to remove the mana motes from my skill bar, and refrain from using the motes unless I have to. This actually has helped me a lot, so thank you for your input! :proud:

I like to be prepared also. Both healers don't seem hard or easy just how you go about with one of em.
    Played priest back in the day and I admit, with all there heals can they really save everyone like most people say? I switched and started to main mystic and Titanic Favor was my best friend, of course though I would throw some motes on the ground and explain what I do. But rarely from 20-65 did my party have to pick up a mote because titanic favor healed more than priests focus heal.
  • xvctxvct ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    ....wow.

A lot of veterans who are dismissing the OP are overlooking a very important point that the OP is trying to make, and that is the Mystic's level-up game needs to be revamped. They simply can't perform as well as Priests of the same level while doing level-up dungeons.

I believe the OP is entirely correct. You only get 2 heals between levels 1 - 59: Mote and Titanic. And under level 60 you have no access to atkspd crystals, succoring crystals, atkspd / CDR rolls, atkspd jewelry set bonus, nor etchings. You will NOT be healing people for half their HP bar with a single cast of Titanic at these lower levels, as someone else in this thread eloquently said they did. It is far from instant cast at lower levels (my definition of instant cast might be skewed, having played too long with double tier4 etch). And its cd is ever slightly longer. Come on. Take a look at the rolls that you get on your mystic's Avatar weapons while you level up...

I think they should revamp the Mystic and lower the acquisition level of either Totem or Boomerang; one or the other, it doesn't have to be both. And scale the healing power accordingly. Just make it available at about level 30 or 40.

Edit: if it isn't obvious, I don't remember at what level Thrall of Life is available. So I left it out. :p
  • xvctxvct ✭✭✭
    I'd also like to add that some people think that the AoE Priest heals give it an edge over Mystics at lower levels...while that might be true if you have high ping and cannot lockon easily, imo it's actually the HoT property of Resto Burst and Regen Circ that give lower level priests a buffer while Focus Heal is on cd - because again, Focus Heal does such little healing and has a slightly longer cd at lower levels due to healer-specific rolls lacking on the avatar weapons.

Try healing with only Focus Heal from levels 1 thru 59.

That is basically what mystics have to do.
  • ObsObs ✭✭✭
    xvct wrote: »
    ....wow.

A lot of veterans who are dismissing the OP are overlooking a very important point that the OP is trying to make, and that is the Mystic's level-up game needs to be revamped. They simply can't perform as well as Priests of the same level while doing level-up dungeons.

I believe the OP is entirely correct. You only get 2 heals between levels 1 - 59: Mote and Titanic. And under level 60 you have no access to atkspd crystals, succoring crystals, atkspd / CDR rolls nor etchings. You will NOT be healing people for half their HP bar with a single cast of Titanic at these lower levels, as someone else in this thread eloquently said they did. It is far from instant cast at lower levels. And its cd is ever slightly longer. Come on. Take a look at the rolls that you get on your mystic's Avatar weapons while you level up...

I think they should revamp the Mystic and lower the acquisition level of either Totem or Boomerang; one or the other, it doesn't have to be both. And scale the healing power accordingly. Just make it available at about level 30 or 40.

The only thing they can't perform as well as a Priest is party DPS because of the lack of VoC's endurance debuff until 63. While I was leveling, Titanic Favor easily healed people for a huge part of their HP even with an avatar weapon. I also have no idea how you can't heal anyone using only Titanic Favor. Boomerang is more for the AoE + smaller animation lock rather than the raw healing. Warding Totem is basically useless for a healing skill.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    xvct wrote: »
    ....wow.

I believe the OP is entirely correct. You only get 2 heals between levels 1 - 59: Mote and Titanic. And under level 60 you have no access to atkspd crystals, succoring crystals, atkspd / CDR rolls nor etchings. You will NOT be healing people for half their HP bar with a single cast of Titanic at these lower levels, as someone else in this thread eloquently said they did. It is far from instant cast at lower levels (my definition of instant cast might be skewed, having played too long with double tier4 etch). And its cd is ever slightly longer. Come on. Take a look at the rolls that you get on your mystic's Avatar weapons while you level up...

Edit: if it isn't obvious, I don't remember at what level Thrall of Life is available. So I left it out. :p
    Mystic doesn't have a Focus Heal, that's a heal on Priest.

At level 65 you still only have 2 heals as a Mystic (TF and Boomerang), so nothing actually changes. Priest also heals for nothing while leveling, and their cool downs are longer in addition to having much longer animations than Mystic. You can Titanic Favor off CD, which is the same thing you do at 65, while leveling. This heal also has better range than Priest. Having more heals to use does not equate to more healing, it's actually worse to have lower heals per cast while having more casts than a good single cast heal, especially when you take into account TF has no cool down.

Also, even if Boomerang was acquired at a lower level, you would just have Mystics complaining they can't use it since the party doesn't stay in line to make it effective, essentially nothing changes.
  • MagichanMagichan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Healing while leveling is fine. I think the biggest reason people feel leveling healers heal for to little is because of the weapon they are using.

Seriously, take a look at the healing stats on Avatar weapons. A superior weapon from the dungeon you're trying to run will do WAY more, even without rerolling for boosted heals (4.5% vs ~9% baked in, iirc, plus higher base healing mod).

Ditch the avatar for dungeons and pick up something better off broker/BG credits.

I main a Mystic, and I have to say seeing other Mystics in low-level dungeons is awful most of the time. I dont want to be waiting 10-15 seconds for a heal (as a tank!) because you decided to drop 5 motes by your own feet. I'm tired of having to explain that Thrall of Protection is not going to contribute enough DPS to warrant it's passive aggro rip. You don't have Titanic Wrath to worry about anymore, you don't have Volley of Curses to keep up yet, just heal and cleanse damn it!
  • SaphirKanzakiSaphirKanzaki ✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing as progress healer as well as now a casual healer. And it's definitely NOT the healer's fault if someone dies. There are people out there, jumping into every poisonous puddle, standing in every red danger zone and wearing zero defense crystals.

As someone said above, the only heals until lvl 60 are titanics and the motes. This is why the motes are crucial in early game, we're not talking about endgame. Besides that, the leveling range has lvl 50 players that wear lvl 36 armor. In endgame, you don't have people jumping around in Idoneal in hard mode.

Word to the OP: just ignore it. Do your best, keep healing and refrain from doing damage. At this point, you don't even have endurance reduction.
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    The truth is, the best healers aren't those who can clear hm dungeons, are but those who can clear with the trappiest of parties.

If the party is 1 tank 3 dps, then they kinda deserve to die lol.

If the party is 4dps, even then it is usually levelling dungeons, they probably need to accept that they can't just facetank damage in endgame. I admit I facetank on my valkyrie sometimes (I actually decided to screw it when I see 4 valks and I just put on wrathful + threatening lol)

In any case. General rule of thumb, if a dps dies, it is the healer's fault no matter how bad the dps is. That is the only way to improve reflex. I don't like sugarcoating things. I will say the same thing to the DPS: if said dps dies, it is his fault, even if the healer is absolutely trap. Only when you get why I said this, you will then improve. Stop complaining and focus on your own game.
  • Motes are for emergency. Thx
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gotta tell them, when I play with my Kitty Popo mystic, I say Grab my Nuts, they are healing. I get slapped for it but it works eventually B)
  • Hi,
    Theres always room from improvement, Mystic healing is really strong if you gear it decently.
    I have no idea how you play to see what you do but you can literally solo heal any dungeon without any problem as mystic, with or without your party members eating all mechanics(they also need gear to facetank).
    Most of the time people facetank because they want to do more dps or because they don't know any mechanics and the consequence is to blame their healer.
  • Let me get this straight

DPS are a bunch of fucktards (mostly on IM) who cant pause dps for a second and grab one or two motes to get extra healing

And remember, you are technically a god so if they [filtered] up for not grabbing motes when you are either too far away or they have ONE under their faces, its cause they are dumb as [filtered] and they should delete their DPS
  • ObsObs ✭✭✭
    Let me get this straight

DPS are a bunch of fucktards (mostly on IM) who cant pause dps for a second and grab one or two motes to get extra healing

And remember, you are technically a god so if they [filtered] up for not grabbing motes when you are either too far away or they have ONE under their faces, its cause they are dumb as [filtered] and they should delete their DPS

Or you can just heal them. The only reason to pick up a mote is emergencies and some mechanics (like Lachelith).

There are very few cases where you are actually too far away to heal them.