[PC] Maintenance is now complete!

4/28 Twitch Stream: Valkyrie Loading Screen Contest

Comments

• msoltysplmsoltyspl ✭✭✭
    They don't want someone who's upset about not winning a contest to complain to their local government that EME's contest fell afoul of their laws and get fined or entangled in a mess.

Then the game would be inaccassible for anyone but from NA. As that can already happen for whatever "displeased with Tera" reasons. And there are FAR better ones already than a stupid potential art contest. Starting with pathetic state of the service for which they charge real life money.

Applying those cowardly, assinine, generic rules to a "draw a fanart" contest - purely digital, with no real money involvment at any step and no physical reward shipping at this time - is just typically ignorant and lazy. And that's all.

• YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    msoltyspl wrote: »
    They don't want someone who's upset about not winning a contest to complain to their local government that EME's contest fell afoul of their laws and get fined or entangled in a mess.

Then the game would be inaccassible for anyone but from NA. As that can already happen for whatever "displeased with Tera" reasons. And there are FAR better ones already than a stupid potential art contest. Starting with pathetic state of the service for which they charge real life money.

Applying those cowardly, assinine, generic rules to a "draw a fanart" contest - purely digital, with no real money involvment at any step and no physical reward shipping at this time - is just typically ignorant and lazy. And that's all.

Digital items are regulated by governments.
  • edited April 2017

That's completely wrong. Contests run by businesses (and even non-profits) are regulated the world over, and have very specific guidelines in most jurisdictions. This includes prizes that are not shipped and those that have no real monetary value (otherwise, people would just create contests where everything conveniently has "no real monetary value" or where nothing physically ships to anyone to skirt around the rules). Besides, given that the prize here is EMP, which is EME's cash shop currency, they can't argue that it has "no value" or has "no real money involvement" anyway. (The items you buy may be a different story, but EMP itself has cash value, even if you can't "cash out".)

Contest regulations are a completely separate legal matter than whatever discontent you may have about the service itself. And, incidentally, they have separate agreements to address those legal matters too.
  • xvctxvct ✭✭✭
    I have an idea for an entry but won't have time to do it myself...so if someone else could make this happen, I wish to see it:

A Valkyrie posing with one of those giant, 5-feet long ink brushes used for largescale calligraphy, instead of her usual glaive. And freshly painted on the ground says: FIX THE LAG
  • xvct wrote: »
    I have an idea for an entry but won't have time to do it myself...so if someone else could make this happen, I wish to see it:

A Valkyrie posing with one of those giant, 5-feet long ink brushes used for largescale calligraphy, instead of her usual glaive. And freshly painted on the ground says: FIX THE LAG

u deserve an award for that idea xD
  • xvctxvct ✭✭✭
    Ambits wrote: »
    u deserve an award for that idea xD

Simply seeing it exist (maybe, possibly make it into the honorable mentions or winnings) is enough of an award for me. :)
  • LolitaaLolitaa ✭✭✭
    LHMG4YDWYJ wrote: »
    If there's something I've wanted to always do it would be to draw.. But I'm extremely bad at it.

how to be good at drawing: practice.
    :/
  • I can draw but I'm at another region...

That's funny. I'd love to see that.
  • msoltysplmsoltyspl ✭✭✭
    That's completely wrong. Contests run by businesses (and even non-profits) are regulated the world over, and have very specific guidelines in most jurisdictions. This includes prizes that are not shipped and those that have no real monetary value (otherwise, people would just create contests where everything conveniently has "no real monetary value" or where nothing physically ships to anyone to skirt around the rules).

The rules for real competitions/raffles/etc. exist for specific reasons - especially to protect participants from scams and shipping costs. They obviously differ in details, but overall their aim is the same.

Here we have equivalent of kindergarten art contest for which the reward is kindergarten issued fake money. In digital form on top of everything.

There're no issues or risks here, IF they wanted to give a damn that is. Easier to slap their standard "rules" and be done with it though.
    Besides, given that the prize here is EMP, which is EME's cash shop currency, they can't argue that it has "no value" or has "no real money involvement" anyway. (The items you buy may be a different story, but EMP itself has cash value, even if you can't "cash out".)

As long as no real money is involved at any stage, it's not even in territory of arguing. You cannot reverse cash it out. And it holds no value besides giving you pixels and stuff in Tera's fake world, completely owned by BHS/EME.

Anyway, there're no typical contest issues involved at any point in this case, besides "I don't agree that my work was rated lower than his/her work". They can open this for anyone playing Tera. If they start giving GTX 1080 as a reward, then sure - limit it to NA.
  • edited April 2017
    That's completely wrong. Contests run by businesses (and even non-profits) are regulated the world over, and have very specific guidelines in most jurisdictions. This includes prizes that are not shipped and those that have no real monetary value (otherwise, people would just create contests where everything conveniently has "no real monetary value" or where nothing physically ships to anyone to skirt around the rules).

The rules for real competitions/raffles/etc. exist for specific reasons - especially to protect participants from scams and shipping costs. They obviously differ in details, but overall their aim is the same.

Because you've actually researched the laws in all jurisdictions around the whole world over to say with legal confidence that there are no laws anywhere that could impose additional requirements on their contests? That none of them the whole world over apply to digital entries and intermediary currencies? Really?

Even within North America, there are jurisdictions with special contest laws. EME's own policy says "entrants residing in the States of North Dakota, Vermont, Connecticut or Maryland in the United States, the Province of Quebec in Canada are not eligible to participate in this Contest." You'll see similar restrictions on many contests all over the place, whether or not cash or physical prizes, are involved. You'll even see some companies whose giveaways on Twitch are governed by content rules on the advice of their lawyers.

You can't just BS your way and say "oh, anywhere that has laws, they're really trying to deal with these issues, and that's not what this is about, so no laws anywhere apply to us." No lawyers would ever do that. Just because you claim that no laws apply doesn't make it true. It's pure bluster on your part.

FYI: One of the laws the province of Quebec imposes, for example, is that any and all contests that can be won by Quebec residents must be advertised in French, even if the contest is being run by a company/group outside of the jurisdiction. They also impose a tax on the "total prize value" -- even if you say EMP is an intermediary currency that can't be cashed out, because you can actually buy EMP with real money, I'm quite sure the government will argue that the prize has a cash-equivalent value and therefore they (EME, not the winner -- that's the requirement) owe tax. Maybe you can take the attitude that "nobody will ever know" but these are the sorts of reasons why EME's lawyers would exclude Quebec in the contest rules. If those are the rules in an area in North America, I'm not sure you can really argue in good faith that no rules the whole world over apply to them.

xvct wrote: »

f1m7xU9.png
  • GrievuuzGrievuuz ✭✭✭

f1m7xU9.png

If the contest winners were decided by community polls, this would for sure take 1st prize :p
  • xvctxvct ✭✭✭

f1m7xU9.png

omgggggggg <3
    now do one with a massive ban hammer ahahah.. ;)

pls pm me your server and stuff so I can shower you in happiness and gold lol
  • edited April 2017
    @Spacecats

Would it be possible to feature all the submissions, not just the winning ones, on a forum thread or a webpage or something?

Some of them are really good and don't get awards or honorable mentions and it would be nice to view and appreciate them outside of the stream. Plus it would help people who are looking to get commissions by showing off each artist's style.