Let's Learn A Little Bit About Why Packet Injection is Bad

There's been a lot of talk about the recent 3rd Party tools announcement. There's been a lot of talk in favor of each side. My views are not relevant to this post though. Personally I like DPS Meters, and also realize that if they are just meters they hurt nothing other than the feelings of some players. But what I'm here to talk about is injection. This is why meters are getting lumped into the mix. (Realistically all 3rd party programs are prohibited and that should be adhered to).

So lets talk about how meters *would* work. I'm not an expert but I can give you a rough overview.

Say you hit a monster. A lot happens on the backend for that to happen. Your client send a packet of data that says "Hey, this dude attacked this dude." The server recieves that packet and says "Ok, it did this much damage. Show that on the screen." A packet is then sent to the client, it's deciphered and you see the change reflected on your screen. This is an extremely shortened version of the actual sequence, but the full system isn't relevant. What a meter should do and only do is intercept that packet of data sent back to the client, read it's contents, and then display them in a separate program. This does delay the packet, but the amount is so low it's negligible.

However a packet injector works a bit differently, and I hypothesize more detrimentally to the game as a whole. An injector alters that packet leaving the client, it can either modify the data inside the packet or add data. I think the adding data could be a big issue in mass use. That packet increasing in size for one person is nothing, but whenever a large amount of the data coming into a server is bigger than the system expected it could have some detrimental effects. In a way it's pretty similar to packet injection on a wifi network to cause distributed denials of service, aka ddos. (For more reading on that check out this very well written paper here.

I'd like to open this up as an intelligent discussion on this topic. I don't want to see EME/BHS getting flamed, or people whining about the rules. Please just stick to intelligent discussion.

Also here's a really neat document on mmo game traffic analysis. It's got some really neat info if you'd like to learn more. Here.

I didn't write either article linked so all credit goes to the authors of the respective content.

Comments

• metagamemetagame ✭✭✭✭
    ??????????????
  • Aaaand closed/deleted because they just don't give a [filtered]. Rip 80% of the current population, end of story.
  • xEmptiness wrote: »
    I can tell you two things:
    1. Packet injection does not alter the packet sent to server to start a skill.
    2. Packet injection actually reduces the number of packets sent to the server compared to a normal high ping player.
    Your hypothesis is simply factually incorrect.

How does packet injection (specifically in regards to Tera) reduce the number of packets sent?
  • UltemeciaUltemecia ✭✭✭
    xEmptiness wrote: »
    I can tell you two things:
    1. Packet injection does not alter the packet sent to server to start a skill.
    2. Packet injection actually reduces the number of packets sent to the server compared to a normal high ping player.
    Your hypothesis is simply factually incorrect.

If that's the case then what you're describing as packet injection is in fact not packet injection.

Definition of packet injection: Packet injection (also known as forging packets or spoofing packets) is a computer networking term that refers to the process of interfering with an established network connection, by means of constructing packets to appear as if they are part of the normal communication stream.
  • nb4 thread closed
  • RolyRoly ✭✭
    3, 2 ,1 Post delete why?

There has been a follow-up statement in the "Cheating and Third Party Tools in TERA - You Won't Believe What Happens Next!" thread in General Discussion. While posting about 3rd party programs is still against the forum rules and we ask that you adhere to that, we hope this helps address some of the questions we've been seeing in the community.

thanks
  • So... yeah I'm closing this. The message at the top of the forums is an express reminder to not post about these things because it's against the forum rules & guidelines.

I get that you want to understand how these programs work because it's a big topic right now, but understanding how a packet injector functions doesn't help make them legit, and there's already disagreement within this thread about how they DO function or how they might be the best thing to ever happen. It's kind of unfortunate that our stance on 3rd party programs as a negative element in TERA would actually encourage anyone to pursue using them, but I get that people are probably curious. Please just don't post about them here. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.