[PC] Maintenance is now complete!

Community Response, the Importance of Proper Community Management

Comments

• 1561731813.jpg

banned!!!!
  • Machineoil wrote: »
    EME lashed out against people who invested their TIME and EFFORT to make this game playable. This is turning point for this game.

We banned people who were hacking the game client and creating 3rd party programs to help others hack the game. If that's what they'd like to spend their time and effort doing, then they'll have to find another video game to do it with.

• jongbaejongbae ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Jenieve wrote: »
    And in terms of DPS meters, what prevents EME from creating their own *approved* tool?
    From what I know, it's because some players would cry because of their DPS.

You can't know your gameplay is bad until you see numbers specially in end game content where DPS Race is required some of the time. Dungeons like HH can't be cleared if you don't do certain amount of damage but how will you know it's you the one holding back a group of 29 people? All I see is they expect new players get damage carried all the time, going blind saying I'm good because I can clear content when they probably do 10% of the overall damage. Just throwing this here, it would help a lot if they develop their own. Just like KTera does, if KTera has it I don't understand why is a problem in NA.

In general I think what they are lacking is the knowledge of the game 100%. You should sit one day, from your house NOT THE OFFICE, but your house, play for 2-3 hours everyday for a week or two. Run dungeons, try to gear without your GM powers, try to farm, everything, do what a normal player does and you will see what we are talking about: server lag, broken economy, actual needs of the community. You only need one person knowing how the everyday TERA life is to know why the community isn't taking it well, this is what you as ENMASSE is missing HARDCORE.
  • If the game was stable at all in the first place, and there wasn't a high ping spike everytime a skill gets used, no one would have created 3rd party programs to improve their game play experience.
    EME aside since I know literally none of them are allowed without permission, if BHS as a developing company for this game actually did their job and Optimized the game to work instead of trying to recycle old dungeons and come up with new race and gender locked classes,
    People wouldn't be trying on their own to optimize it and make it work by editing files and coding new programs to fix widespread issues.
    This 3rd party program, this ban conflict and conflict over the ToS is all a symptom of a very "sick" game that needs Fixed.
    This game functioned highly well when it was made maybe, 4 years ago. But the standards for games is much higher and BHS is simply not fulfilling those optimization standards.
  • Spacecats wrote: »
    I'd like to hear from your perspective what you would do if you were a TERA community manager and very vocal players wanted to break the rules, but you couldn't allow them to do it. They would think you're totally out of touch with the community, of course. It's a tough message to deliver to people.

I hope you had time to read today's follow-up response. If not, please have a look and let me know if you agree with our motivations here.

I'd really like to keep this thread open so we can talk about communication between EME and players, so I'd like to ask everyone to please avoid mentioning 3rd party programs, what they do, how to use them, where to get them, who makes them.... really anything that has to do with them. If you have questions please message me directly.

@Spacecats I'm glad you plan to keep the thread open, and as for what I would do in your shoes, I do admit the situation is tricky, it's like trying to scale an icy mountain with no shoes on.

The solution is both simple and complex - you have to ease people into an idea, and you have to make them understand the idea.

So how would I start? I'd tackle the simple part first - how do I make this easier for people?

1) A list of alternatives, including reaching out and collaborating with big names in the community to see if you can put together an EME-supported, secure way of bringing in these things that improve the way people play TERA, without the risk of malicious injectors and the like. I know this step can actually be difficult for you guys due to the nature of being a publisher rather than a developer, since you need permission from KTERA first, but this is a big one and is probably the most important step here.

2) The community needs to know why this is happening, which I can admit you have covered the why, but step 1 and 2 need to come together, like a packaged deal. This lets people know that you are working towards a way for them to enjoy the way they've gotten used to, as well as the fact that you do need to step in and take necessary measures, and since you claim this is mostly about player security, I feel that EME-supported methods are a big part of letting people know you mean well.

3) Community suggestions - appeal to the community, nobody can play a game as much as its community does, they know the game, they love the game, they want it to improve. Ideas your community have implemented can improve both the community's mood and the game by a significant margin. The symbiotic relationship I spoke of in the OP is part of this, community and publisher/developer should be hand-in-hand, not butting heads.

My apologies it's all a bit vague and took a while to put together, I was in the middle of a dungeon as I wrote bit by bit (sorry team) but I hope it helps you guys at least a little in the task ahead.

• GrievuuzGrievuuz ✭✭✭
    Spacecats wrote: »
    So some players are asking to openly discuss 3rd party programs in the official TERA forums, and unfortunately that's not an option. I know that seems unreasonably stubborn to a lot of you, but there are legalities involved that aren't doing to be discussed.

Then we appear to be at an impasse. We're most likely gonna continue to rage, shitpost and threaten EME in various ways (honest, non-passive-aggressive truth).

Your move.
  • AimoveraAimovera ✭✭✭
    Machineoil wrote: »
    EME lashed out against people who invested their TIME and EFFORT to make this game playable. This is turning point for this game.

We banned people who were hacking the game client and creating 3rd party programs to help others hack the game. If that's what they'd like to spend their time and effort doing, then they'll have to find another video game to do it with.

You've got to be kidding me xD...
  • Random4lyf wrote: »
    Like. I honestly believe if you reached out and worked with the people you banned already. Things could have been a ton better.

Unfortunately EME did try to reach out to some of the people developing 3rd party programs in an effort to communicate with them, but the answer was no.
  • Grievuuz wrote: »
    So some players are asking to openly discuss 3rd party programs in the official TERA forums, and unfortunately that's not an option. I know that seems unreasonably stubborn to a lot of you, but there are legalities involved that aren't doing to be discussed.

Then we appear to be at an impasse. We're most likely gonna continue to rage, shitpost and threaten EME in various ways (honest, non-passive-aggressive truth).

Your move.

Our moderation team will continue to warn and ban people who violate the forum rules. I know that's not really a pleasant answer, but if your purpose in the forums is to rage, shitpost and threaten people then you aren't welcome here.
  • Random4lyfRandom4lyf ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Random4lyf wrote: »
    Like. I honestly believe if you reached out and worked with the people you banned already. Things could have been a ton better.

Unfortunately EME did try to reach out to some of the people developing 3rd party programs in an effort to communicate with them, but the answer was no.

Really? I don't have Bern or Meishu claiming you did. Having Meishu's version of Voldemort being the popularized one.
  • xoBarb wrote: »

I'd like to hear from your perspective what you would do if you were a TERA community manager and very vocal players wanted to break the rules, but you couldn't allow them to do it. They would think you're totally out of touch with the community, of course. It's a tough message to deliver to people.

Ban them all :')

believe it or not, desync can and does do this kind of stuff, and has since long before any of the current EME employees even started working there.

It's a long standing issue that virtually nothing has been done about.

But hey lets blame the hacker boogeyman for more unresolved and unaddressed issues that this game has had for years!
  • Spacecats wrote: »
    Random4lyf wrote: »

Have you asked them before this porgrom? How did you put the matter with them? What was on the table on the moment? Also, can those devs confirm what you're saying?
  • Aimovera wrote: »
    Machineoil wrote: »

You've got to be kidding me xD...

Mind you were not just talking about one person who decided to Google a DPS meter and install it on their computer. Multiple banned individuals were actively looking for ways to hack the client and game the system with 3rd party tools that they've developed. Knowing that, would you have still banned them or do you think it's unreasonable?
This discussion has been closed.