[PS4/XB1] Due to an error, we have extended current events (such as dungeon highlights) by one day. The new end time is now 10/15 at 0500 UTC. Thanks for your patience!

The 3rd Party Thread

Bans, hacks, and 3rd party programs are on a lot of people's minds after Noesis' statement this week. Unfortunately it's a really tough topic to discuss with community members because it's against the forum rules & guidelines to make comments about them...

... except for this thread.

I realized yesterday (and a lot of you guys pointed this out, and I apologize because you probably felt like your voices were being lost in the crowd) that squashing all discussion about the 3rd party program topic isn't too much better than letting trolls and flamers run rampant. Ultimately the people that want a calm discussion are the ones following the spirit of the rule (and punished for it) while others will continue to push their message across multiple channels even if it gets them banned. I'm hoping this thread helps with that, and we do want to give you guys a place to discuss the things you care about the most. That's what the forums are primarily here for, a service maintained for players to voice their thoughts in a constructive way. Cool...

So here are the ground rules for the thread. I might edit this as the discussion develops so please keep this top post in mind.
  • No memes or videos. Use your own words to discuss the topic and try not to derail things.
  • Don't link to any 3rd party programs.
  • Don't name any specific 3rd party programs.
  • Don't attempt to interpret the Terms of Service for others.
  • No witch hunting or calling out individuals.

Bickering, namecalling, and general nasty or argumentative behavior will be edited and removed by moderators, just like any other thread. Keep in mind that there are things that we at EME can't respond to, and there are legalities involved when it comes to topics like bannings and the Terms of Service. Please don't expect any En Masse staff to reply in this thread and approve software that we aren't the publishers for. If you've posted your thoughts, and believe you're being overlooked, don't keep posting the same thing over and over expecting an official response. En Masse staff will comment where appropriate but this thread is primarily for community discussion.

Comments

• MelyodisMelyodis ✭✭✭
    Those who want to edit ini files in Tera client need to understand that you have to use a program to edit it don't they, so plz Spacecats tell them that's it's not acceptable thank you.
  • @Spacecats Glad to see you guys handling this in a professional manner. Keep it up!
  • Melyodis wrote: »
    Those who want to edit ini files in Tera client need to understand that you have to use a program to edit it don't they, so plz Spacecats tell them that's it's not acceptable thank you.

Hmm, Notepad comes with Windows so I'm not sure if that's considered a 3rd party program.
  • jongbaejongbae ✭✭✭
    Melyodis wrote: »

It seems you really don't know what that means so you shouldn't even comment dude lol
  • gibgib ✭✭✭
    Melyodis wrote: »

notepad :thinking:
  • jongbaejongbae ✭✭✭
    I'm just curious how are we going to discuss about something without mentioning or sharing our argument about them. This is so hard... also makes no sense but ok good try.
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Man at least they're trying to communicate now, stop shitting up the thread with dumb memes. Thank you for opening a space for this.

To what extent are logs being scoured? If someone mentioned off the cuff a month ago to their best friend in a whisper that they were happy about hitting a record high DPS at RMHM, would they be banned because it implies they were using a third party DPS meter program? If someone submits a screenshot with the field of vision zoomed out or in (changing ini files) and a sweet fx preset running, will they be banned for using third party tools? If someone links to bernkastel's tera optimization guide to help someone running tera on a not-so-good pc, will they get banned for "altering files"? Your initial stance was extremely broad and worried a lot of people.

Also that guy saying editing ini files requires third party tools doesn't know what he's talking about.
  • Is live streaming a 3rd party program?
  • gibgib ✭✭✭
    im just wondering how we're supposed to discuss 3rd party stuff without being able to mention what they are
  • jongbae wrote: »
    I'm just curious how are we going to discuss about something without mentioning or sharing our argument about them. This is so hard... also makes no sense but ok good try.

I was just thinking that...
  • MelyodisMelyodis ✭✭✭
    in relation to Tera, any tool used to edit the client is a third party software once it's not from BHS it is 3rd party.
  • you want players stop using those programs, then put pressure on BHS to fix the game and optimize, since we only get, "investigating" as an answer.
  • Constructive criticism should be fine, as long as people aren't bashing each other. That's how I interpreted it.
  • Melyodis wrote: »

cant we have a rule that we need to google 1st before posting a comment?cos this kind of comment makes people boil inside...