[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

yoU dOn'T kNOw wAT ure sAiyan! DPS METER ISN'T a hAcK

13»

Comments

• Bohba13Bohba13
    edited April 2017
    you do know that any packets you receive through your TERA client are, from the moment they enter your router, on your network right? so in the word of the law as stated by courts and congress DPS meters are not Illegal. the TOS simply state that you waive that right to play the game. As packet sniffing can quickly change to packet injection, which is illegal.
  • Bohba13 wrote: »
    you do know that any packets you receive through your TERA client are, from the moment they enter your router, on your network right? so in the word of the law as stated by courts and congress DPS meters are not Illegal. the TOS simply state that you waive that right to play the game. As packet sniffing can quickly change to packet injection, which is illegal.

You had me until the last line they are illegal because it's easier to make a blanket statement then for them to actually approve and vet code that does not belong to them and since Tera provides no APIs for mods, like WoW does, it's easier to say everything 3rd party is bad. Sniffing does not lead to injection unless we are talking about glue to heroin in which case I am still on board with your argument.
  • isnt my pc my network?isnt my router not my network?if i sniff on tera server will i capture emp purchase?
  • PossiblyLostPossiblyLost ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    LTLTW3RELG wrote: »
    isnt my pc my network?isnt my router not my network?if i sniff on tera server will i capture emp purchase?

Exactly, sniffing on your network is not illegal, but sniffing on the Tera server's network is illegal because that falls under wiretapping laws. It's easy to tell why; on your network, there's only data relating to your Tera client, but if you managed to sniff on the server you would be intercepting communications from and to every player on the server.
  • In IT, the only clients worse than ignorant people are ignorant people who think they should be professionally qualified once they learn a few buzzwords.
  • W7GNYAP55A wrote: »

Third, your network = You interrupting data going to YOUR ROUTER, alone. Not to a host (Tera server.) Ignorance.

Correct, You don't do that.

See, The data goes from EME's servers -> EME's ISP Hubs -> The great backbone of the internet -> Your ISP hubs ->(ANYTHING BEFORE THIS POINT IS ILLEGAL TO LOOK AT) -> To YOUR MODEM (Now it's on your personal network, you can look/sniiff/huff all you want)-> TO YOUR ROUTER -> Gets shuffled to your computer.
    Repeat backwards for Data being sent to EME

Packet sniffing VIA DPS meter happens on your local computer, well after the point where it's legal.
  • i believe the OP is one of those archer/Valks/Warriors that do 500k/s and gets kicked from parties. He blames DPS meteres as the reason he gets kicked because they can see how bad he is.
  • JenieveJenieve ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    W7GNYAP55A wrote: »
    I know I am being baited, but if you actually read the text blurb you posted:
    ...if the public network in question comes to your house, or routes traffic via your house in some manner, then yes, you are well within your rights to sniff on it.

It's not your network to read EME packets going to EME servers. It's not a public WI-FI, you don't own their servers.

Uh yes it is. Consider this .. open wireshark. This is like having security at your front door logging who comes into and out of your house and recording the activity the visitors do while at your locations. Your computer is the house, your network interface card (where you plug in the ethernet cable) is your front door. Sniffing packets is done by reading things coming in and out of the NIC (front door). Legal.

"IT doesn't read TERA data, interpret Tera packets, nor does it infiltrate Tera packets. Wireshark only reads packets coming from a server to YOUR network."

Uh yes it does .. tera sends packets to my computer and I may or may not allow that data. To dumb this down again. Tera sends me a peice of mail it ends up at my front door .. i can choose tho open it and bring it into the house, open it and choose to discard it , I can let the mail man deliver everything, or i can tell the mail man to decline everything OR ALL THE GREY IN-BETWEEN. It's my front door .. I can let what ever in that I want and I can read all the data that I want .. it's my front door. If you dont want the data read, you, A. Encrypt it B. Dont send it to me.
  • VenpaiVenpai ✭✭✭
    So you might be banned from Tera for using meter, but it is NOT illegal, ie. you won't be facing criminal charges for using dps meter.

cellmate: what're you in for?

me: using a dps meter in tera