What exactly can you do for us the community?

I don't fully understand, nor do some other players I am guessing, what exactly you do for the community. Can you please either give me / us some info about yourself or link something that has said info and possibly tell me / us what you do or can do for the Tera community? I want to fully understand what I can ask of our community moderators and constantly be asking the impossible
More specifically:

1) Do any of you have direct or indirect with BHS at all? (phone calls, text message, instant message, e-mail, etc.)

2) How often do you communicate with BHS? (Is it daily, weekly, monthly or just whenever BHS feels they want to contact you?)

3) Does BHS ever make you feel like what you conveyed to them was understood and that BHS would try to make it happen, whether in a minor or major way? (i.e. minor = "We might be able to do something like that but not all of it" or major = "[filtered] yeah we can do that. Great idea!")

4) Is Enmasse allowed to alter the game at all? (i.e. Content, armor skins, weapon skins, mounts, etc.)

5) Does Enmasse make their own events or does BHS have a say?

@Spacecats

@Halrath

@Noesis

@Denommenator

@Geletron

*I'd like to thank any and all of you that respond to this for giving us, the community, your time, patience, understanding and your information. I appreciate you guys more then words can express. I for one feel like I am in the dark as far as community stuff goes and hope any information you guys can give will help enlighten myself and any other players that happen to run across this in the future.

Comments

• You are wrong here, if u seek for answers. I doubt you will get a proper answer if so would be suprised but im interested aswell.
  • Pilip25 wrote: »
    You are wrong here, if u seek for answers. I doubt you will get a proper answer if so would be suprised but im interested aswell.

I appreciate your response and lets hope we get some answers. I'm looking for clarification from the above mentioned moderators cause I really have no idea what their real power is. I know it is a long shot that any of them would even respond but I had to take a chance seeing as the community seems to be on a witch hunt and I feel like the moderators actually have no power or communication with anyone but us in the community and I want to know if what the community and myself have been asking of them is even realistic.
  • I think i know that, maybe.... They can BAN people, make BAM appear ot of nothing and make events...

Of curse they have communication whit BH.... as they are ( EME) the NA branch of the company...

They also put the value of EMP and cosmetics...

The asians allways listen, they might not aswer you.... or seem like it.... but they are taking notes, EME just need to remind to ALLWAYS do their job to pass bug notices or fixes, they are not powerles, the thing its that the main market its Korea not NA just remind allways that
  • [quote] the thing its that the main market its Korea not NA just remind allways that [/quote]

I do fear that the income from NA is insignificant for them and that's the reason why don't make balnace and optimization taking in account how those changes will work in other countries in the world. :confused:
  • Just think of them similar to a store, they don't make the product (and as such can't really make any real changes...). Their job is just to sell the product and deliver feedback to those who make the product, Bluehole Studios. Just like a store their main tools would be creating sales and events in an effort to sell even more. The main noteworthy changes they can really make are shop adjustments, cash shop stuff, server changes, community interactions, etc. Actual changes to the base game like client optimization, class balancing, etc are left to Bluehole themselves.
  • Yamazuki wrote: »
    Just think of them similar to a store, they don't make the product (and as such can't really make any real changes...). Their job is just to sell the product and deliver feedback to those who make the product, Bluehole Studios. Just like a store their main tools would be creating sales and events in an effort to sell even more. The main noteworthy changes they can really make are shop adjustments, cash shop stuff, server changes, community interactions, etc. Actual changes to the base game like client optimization, class balancing, etc are left to Bluehole themselves.

you forgot to mention that they can kick anyone out of the store anytime they want and they have the right to refuse service to anyone they choose lol.
  • edited May 3
    As much as I'd love to hear a response from a manager about your post I doubt we'll get anything. Pretty sure EME has a contract with BHS, and I'm sure one of the stipulations of said contract is not to discuss certain things publicly.

Edit: There's also a small chance that the staff in charge of forums may not know this information too.
  • thanks for the reply. its good to hear from different staff from time to time. also thanks for taking time out and reading the forums and listening to us.
  • This is a question we've answered in a few different places. It has come up during the Twitch stream more than once, where we tend to answer specific questions relating to our process, and I'm pretty our CEO Kimmander addressed this in different ways during his last Reddit AMA (it's been a little while now but you can still read his answers here).

There are a lot of things to explain, so rather than writing a book let me attempt to summarize and see if you have follow up questions about our process...

- Product Managers own the majority of tasks related to their game. Each game has its own PM. Noesis and Halrath are the current Product Managers for TERA, and they communicate most with Bluehole, both through daily e-mails on a variety of subjects and a weekly late night phone call (to account for the time difference). Primarily their job is to make sure updates are implemented in a timely manner, in-game events are planned/maintained, items are properly added to the game & store. They keep track of each build and work closely with Writing and QA to assure they arrive on time. They also coordinate with Creative and Marketing to make sure announcements go accordingly.
    - Community team has multiple tasks as well, including community contests, Twitch streams, feedback collection (that includes a lot of things), social media (also a lot), event planning (in conjunction with Product Management), announcements, and advising other En Masse teams on what the current community concerns are.
    - Quality Assurance (QA) and Writing work to localize incoming content and make sure it is functional according to the notes sent by the developer. This is a gross under-explanation of the various things involved in this process. Writing also handles news posts and a lot of written content used for e-mails. As part of the localization process they create a lot of TERA lore based of the original Korean (and in fact Bluehole uses that lore to create content in return. It's a relationship.).
    - Platform handles our web presence along with a lot of backend features like En Masse accounts, delivering things through the account system (these things go to Item Claim), and creating web pages. They're always busy and they've been known to work miracles. Geletron went into WAY MORE DETAIL and beat me to the punch posting in this thread.
    - Creative makes pretty much every image and video you see on our site. Sometimes they're original work, and sometimes they combine various assets delivered by the developer.

I definitely left some things out, but I think this gives you an idea.

I'm actually planning to have various members of the En Masse staff on the weekly Twitch stream throughout May so you guys can ask questions and get a good understanding of who we are as a company and how we go about our daily process. I'd really like to hear any requests you guys have as far as who I should try to get on the air and what I should ask.
  • All hail Geletron
  • Here's my answers to these questions:

1) Do any of you have direct or indirect with BHS at all? (phone calls, text message, instant message, e-mail, etc.)

Direct. Email, instant messaging, and videoconferences when necessary. I'd like to add more to this since I'm so wordy in the rest of this post, but ... yeah, lots of direct contact, but the majority is indirect as a result of the time shift challenge.

2) How often do you communicate with BHS? (Is it daily, weekly, monthly or just whenever BHS feels they want to contact you?)

I contact them multiple times a week with questions, updates, feedback, etc. They do the same. We have a very open back and forth dialog between EME Product Management and the BH Publishing/Release team. We have a standing weekly meeting to go over the important topics that might need more time and bandwidth than a single email. The timezone difference makes it difficult, especially in the summer months, since the overlap between offices is almost nonexistent. But I've worked with people in different time zones for years, and it's just the cost of doing business internationally, and you learn to work with it and around it.

3) Does BHS ever make you feel like what you conveyed to them was understood and that BHS would try to make it happen, whether in a minor or major way? (i.e. minor = "We might be able to do something like that but not all of it" or major = "[filtered] yeah we can do that. Great idea!")

I can't speak for the relationship everyone else at EME has with BH, but my experience so far has been that is absolutely the case. I've been told when an idea is really good, I get told when they think an idea is pretty terrible (and why), and if they are dubious about an idea, we talk it out. I've also been given ideas by BHS that I initially resisted, but after talking it over, I came around to their idea as one worth trying.

4) Is Enmasse allowed to alter the game at all? (i.e. Content, armor skins, weapon skins, mounts, etc.)

This seems like it should be a yes/no answer, but that would give you a false sense of what we can do. The specific things you list, especially in-game content, are not things we control. As the publisher, we are publishing the things that get created for TERA. Items like the Dragon Armor Costumes are created by Bluehole, and we determine how we make them available to the players. So in that sense, we are "altering" the content. What I think you're really asking is whether or not we can directly change things in the game, add new things, and generally access the game's assets or code at a source level. For that, the answer is "absolutely not". Just like any other publisher of TERA, we are sent a game build, and that's the game build we ship to our players.

But on the THIRD hand (I'm running out of hands, folks..) we do have the ability to make changes in-game with our tools, to do things like run the events where dungeon bosses drop additional loot, or the community Mongo event, or Kyra's Pop-Up Potion Shack, etc. I suspect that level of tweak isn't quite what you're going after with this question, but I wanted to give as much context as possible, because a simple yes or no to this question would be super misleading.

As the publisher for TERA in North America, we make all the events. We often get sent event tools and opportunities (like the Valkyrie Name Reservation Event) that enable us to set up events that we couldn't have done before, but ultimately we make the choices we think are the best fit for our players and our region. We do pass the event design and schedule back to Bluehole for their information and to get their feedback, and they will sometimes give us suggestions on things we might want to change, but in my time here we've got a fairly free hand to execute events in the manner we think best fits the NA playerbase.
  • Hey all! Matt Denomme here, Product Manager on the TERA Console project. In response to your questions:
    Killstyle wrote: »

I'm doing 2-3 nightly meetings a week with a specific team at Bluehole. We're working on the project schedule, build development, business strategy, localization, certification, marketing...the works! We talk over video conference, email, and right now a lot of Kakao Talk.

I communicate with Bluehole daily via email and 3-4 times a week over video conference or on the phone (or Kakao).

The cooperation level between En Masse and Bluehole on my project is very high. We are very much approaching the console project as partners and we exchange a lot of opinions, feedback, requests, and creative solutions on a daily basis.

We don't typically alter the game art, though we've influenced the design of some cosmetic items in the past and contributed feedback to the design of some gameplay systems.

Potion shack is entirely an En Masse creation. We conceived the idea, developed the tech, created the art, configured the event, and deployed it.

I personally designed last year's "Velik's Grand Hunt" event (not my best work) as well as the Secrets & Shadows letter event. Along with the team, I designed the events, configured them within the client, tested them, promoted them, and ultimately maintained them while they were live.

Beyond those two in-game events, I've contributed to many store promotions (Golden Gift Box, Black Friday, etc.)
  • Wolf315 wrote: »
    Now do you guys also mind telling us why you guys can't be bothered to reply to any of the comments in your own made official 3rd party discussion thread?

....dude just look at that monster.
    It's got like 400 comments so far, would you sit trough all of this, when you got another pile of work to deal with?

Granted it fell short of what we expected but still too much to ask to go trough ALL of that.
  • Honestly, it's really nice for you guys to take the time to address some of these questions personally and I do appreciate your effort. Eventhough there are a lot of very specific questions that we'd like to ask, I'm sure some of them are of the variety you guys have been trying to avoid. Regardless, thank you for communicating with us.