[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

I dont think thats how 'Free' works

Am I the only one seeing a fundamental problem here??? This is a direct quote taken from the new(rehashed) "Gift" event.

TERA's got a lot going on this month, celebrating all the cool things we've done together over the last five years. And what better way to celebrate than with free stuff?
Here's how it works:
1) Buy Fifth Anniversary gift boxes in the TERA store.

>Free Stuff
>Step 1 to get your free stuff is to Buy (with real world currency)
>Buy
>Free

Errrr.....

Comments

• Not to mention $100 for a fiery halo is a complete joke. I still have loads in my item claim from some event 4-5 years ago.
  • edited May 2017
    You're right that it's poorly written. The "free stuff" is the bonuses when you send a certain number of gifts that you wouldn't get if you just opened them yourself. But yeah, obviously, it still requires you to buy the boxes. It's just a bonus for gifting (which, as was said, was always the way these events worked).

Kensama wrote: »
    Not to mention $100 for a fiery halo is a complete joke. I still have loads in my item claim from some event 4-5 years ago.
    Fiery halo is one of those odd items. Some people hate it, some people love it. The problem is that it was never tradeable, so the people who didn't like it could never hand it off... That said, I think you probably don't have any in your item claim anymore, as they expired not too long ago.

(But, aside, obviously you're not paying 6995 EMP for just the halo.)
  • LilMsQTayLilMsQTay ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I got the firey halo for what...75 fed bills.
    *edit: the firey halo I got for fed bills is for 30 days

So as far as the 5th Anniversary goes ...receiveing is much better than giving =/
  • I rather do enjoy receiving. ...
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's why you have 2 accounts for these events. send gifts to yourself and then give it back to yourself. that's how many others do it.
  • that's why you have 2 accounts for these events. send gifts to yourself and then give it back to yourself. that's how many others do it.

So spend $50 on acct #1, gift it to account #2, spend $50 on acct #2 and gift it to acct #1. You're not "winning," you're just being taken for a ride in both directions.
  • edited May 2017
    Vix wrote: »
    that's why you have 2 accounts for these events. send gifts to yourself and then give it back to yourself. that's how many others do it.

So spend $50 on acct #1, gift it to account #2, spend $50 on acct #2 and gift it to acct #1. You're not "winning," you're just being taken for a ride in both directions.

Well, they meant just to trade the items the receiver gets back to account #1 without buying anything else. All the prizes, except the EMP, are tradeable. In other words, it's like opening it yourself, but you also get the gifting benefits. The second account is just a conduit/placeholder.
  • and $300 for a damn ultraplasma skin... lol what a joke
  • AcendiaAcendia ✭✭✭
    Seacok wrote: »
    and $300 for a [filtered] ultraplasma skin... lol what a joke

Why the [filtered] do you people do this? The Ultraplasm weapon skin would cost you $178 if you buy the EMP in stack of 12,000 and boxes in stack of 5.
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    Vix wrote: »

Ikr, might as well ask a good friend to trade each other, at least both can enjoy the cosmetics.
  • SoyKupoSoyKupo ✭✭✭
    Kensama wrote: »
    Not to mention $100 for a fiery halo is a complete joke. I still have loads in my item claim from some event 4-5 years ago.

a6rNaLU.png
    It may not be permanent, but its good for 260 days.
    I drew a spider.
  • AimoveraAimovera ✭✭✭
    > @Acendia said:
    > Seacok wrote: »
    >
    > and $300 for a [filtered] ultraplasma skin... lol what a joke
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Why the [filtered] do you people do this? The Ultraplasm weapon skin would cost you $178 if you buy the EMP in stack of 12,000 and boxes in stack of 5.

Still way too much.
  • AcendiaAcendia ✭✭✭
    Aimovera wrote: »
    Still way too much.
    It's not too much if you compare it to past Gift box events or when you originally got the weapon. When Ultraplasm came out, you had two ways of getting it for a single character, either buy EMP with $100 or get lucky with the lootboxes you got for buying EMP. Also Ultraplasm isn't the first weaponskin to be reward for buying $100 EMP stack, Blackheart weaponskins had the same treatment years ago.
    The prizes from the boxes are also now much better than in past gift boxes, because they were filled with trash amongst all the good stuff and they are now removed.

Technically you're getting a $100 limited edition weapon skin for your whole account (50+ characters for me) for $178.

TL;DR If you actually compare the value to other things, it's actually a very good deal.
  • I have a lot of questions about this. (they say to see the FAQ, but no link is provided and I couldn't find anything)

1) how does the gifting work, do you just post it to someone or use trade or what?
    2) can you re-gift? (wouldn't that completely break this)
    3) are the rewards cumulative? e.g. if you gift 3, do you get rewards for gifting 1 and 3?
  • AcendiaAcendia ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of questions about this. (they say to see the FAQ, but no link is provided and I couldn't find anything)

1) how does the gifting work, do you just post it to someone or use trade or what?
    2) can you re-gift? (wouldn't that completely break this)
    3) are the rewards cumulative? e.g. if you gift 3, do you get rewards for gifting 1 and 3?

Here should be everything you need to know. support.enmasse.com/tera/tera-5th-anniversary-celebration-of-giving

If you don't want to read details, then...
    1. You have a page dedicated to gifting, it will just ask for name and server of the person and then they will open the box on same page you sent them from. After opening it on the page, the items will appear in your item claim.
    2. If you mean if you can just keep gifting one person, then yes you can. And yes, it kinda breaks it if you just send them to yourself or a friend who gives them back~
    3. Yes, if you gift 5, then you get 1,3 and 5 rewards.