We're having maintenance Tuesday, November 20 from 8 - 11 am PDT (three hours).

What EME is doing to reduce lag in TERA [Updated 5/18]

Comments

• Hi. I'm a south american player, brasilian. Sorry for my bad english. Have you considered a server in miami? Many games have servers in miami for us. I think this can be a improvement in our pings, and give us some chances for competitive pvp. No one suffer with lag spikes like us..
  • GeletronGeletron admin
    edited May 2017
    DYJGAM94YD wrote: »
    Hi. I'm a south american player, brasilian. Sorry for my bad english. Have you considered a server in miami? Many games have servers in miami for us. I think this can be a improvement in our pings, and give us some chances for competitive pvp. No one suffer with lag spikes like us..

Oi como vai. We have looked at hosting TERA servers in different places. Wonderholm was hosted in a different data center, though we had to add some additional constraints to make it work properly.

There are some infrastructure challenges that make it difficult to host TERA in multiple locations. TERA servers like to run in the same location as the services they rely on. One side affect of that restriction is that dungeon and battleground matches may be limited so that you could only play with people from the same server. That in turn could make some of the end game content less fun.
  • They're on top of it, they made the anniversary event so painfully bad people will play anything else freeing up bandwidth for the poor souls that think it's good. Not sure if anyone thinks it's good though.
  • Geletron wrote: »
    Hi. I'm a south american player, brasilian. Sorry for my bad english. Have you considered a server in miami? Many games have servers in miami for us. I think this can be a improvement in our pings, and give us some chances for competitive pvp. No one suffer with lag spikes like us..

Oi como vai. We have looked at hosting TERA servers in different places. Wonderholm was hosted in a different data center, though we had to add some additional constraints to make it work properly.

There are some infrastructure challenges that make it difficult to host TERA in multiple locations. TERA servers like to run in the same location as the services they rely on. One side affect of that restriction is that dungeon and battleground matches may be limited so that you could only play with people from the same server. That in turn could make some of the end game content less fun.

thank you for the answer.
  • MeningitisMeningitis ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for this thread, it was sorely needed. This is what transparency and keeping in touch with your community looks like! :)
  • In the mid time, you can talk with Bhs and demand a VERY MUCH needed optimization. There is no reason for that fps drops when there is 20+ ppl on screen. Other mmos have more ppl in screen and fps dont drop that much as Tera NA
  • just asking what about FF it crashed.
  • guys they banned all of ff, its why it went down

And a server in South America? Just one, so all the SA ppl can converge there. Yes, it may mean less ppl on NA servers, but better quality for both servers. Many Brs, Ch, Arg, and Peruvians may want to go elite if can play in good conditions of ping. Right now, less than 10% of SA must be paying something, because not worth pay and have a big dissadvantage playing against NA residents.
  • DYJGAM94YD wrote: »
    Geletron wrote: »

thank you for the answer.

Would be awesome to improve the ping for South American players. Think about it EME, if you try to host your servers in multiple locations to cover all America if possible you will get more money, and of course, more players. It's not fair to play pvp with 200+ of ping whereas a North American player gets 40 of ping or just by doing hard dungeons with a full dps class, it's like impossible, and if you try it you get discriminated by who? North American players...
  • Lifegiver00Lifegiver00 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    • The exact time you experience a major lag spike - 9:23-9:33 or so EST, FF server
    • What you were doing in game when you experienced a lag spike - About to do last boss in DFHM
    • What character class you are playing = Valkyrie
    • What server you are playing from - Fey Forest
    • Some information on how you connect to the TERA server (what country or region in North America and wi-fi, Ethernet, and ISP - North America/ New York

I'll try to help you with the information you need but this is not a new issue in Tera. For years people have complained about optimization and ping/lag spikes but to this day they exist. Lag spikes happen. I understand that. But me standing frozern in DFHM for 10 minutes hoping it would resolve is unacceptable.

Furthermore, with every single patch we have there is a surge of issues regarding lag. In the years I've played Tera I have to say this is the worst it has ever been. I don't know how EME/BHS operate so I will try not to be harsh but there has to be something done. Many players have noted that other games do not have the issues we have. They don't even come close and yet they have many more players than we do...

It's important if anything to look at the patterns where the lag spikes occur (after a new patch) and try to work on the communication. This thread was a good start and I thank you for that.

European here, from Denmark to be specific. Have you considered hosting TERA in a different location altogether ?
    Given everything you say you've already attempted, I can't help but think that it seems your datacenter is having issues with its network either internally or externally.
    On average, ignoring today's worse than usual lagspikes, I tend to get about 140-150ms ping on the Fey Forest server which, while playable, isn't great compared to other US based games I've played where I might normally see about 80-120ms. Of course there's the "but you're not in America" card to pull, but from what I gather it seems that even a large part of the NA playerbase is having the same kind of ping as I am, which to me is a bit worrying to say the least.
  • CatservantCatservant ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for making this thread. This is helpful.
  • I am liking this, you had a troll thread up before telling us to check our client files, drivers and ISP's blah blah.
    very happy to see you are finally acknowledging that it is your server, took a while, but it is a step in the right direction.

Hopefully you can get this problem sorted, because the game is almost unplayable at the moment.